TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This case lives rent free in my head. I've probably said this before but there have been cases I've followed where it seemed LE didn't have a clue, when they knew all along. They just needed to connect the dots to have a case. Really hope that is the case here. It's sad to see so much time pass without answers for her family. :(

My theory...at the moment...is that the killer had no worries about the truck giving his identity away. I think he also felt the same way about his motive.

The obvious motives...love or m0ney...must have been looked at every which way by now. So, I’m guessing the motive is more obscure....someone who felt slighted...disrespected...something happened that was of no consequence to Elizabeth, but enraged this killer.

Either that, or the investigators pretty much know the guilty party, but just haven’t enough to charge him yet.

My theory...at the moment...is that the killer had no worries about the truck giving his identity away. I think he also felt the same way about his motive.

The obvious motives...love or m0ney...must have been looked at every which way by now. So, I’m guessing the motive is more obscure....someone who felt slighted...disrespected...something happened that was of no consequence to Elizabeth, but enraged this killer.

Either that, or the investigators pretty much know the guilty party, but just haven’t enough to charge him yet.

Thanks for sharing your theory. I agree with the truck.

I don’t necessarily think any motives can be ruled out, just maybe lack of evidence linking the killer to the crime. For example, if it was a hired hit (not necessarily a professional). Although unless there was a life insurance policy we haven’t heard about then money probably wasn’t the motive. I haven’t dismissed love as a motive because it’s possible someone fell in love with Liz or Sergio and it was not reciprocated.

MOD NOTE:

This discussion has veered away from the specifics of this case and onto talk of secret/cryptic info, in other words.... “ I know something you don’t know”. That is a direct violation of TOS. Posts that imply that and/or respond to it are being removed, as are posts that request a PM which is also in violation of TOS. Rather than replying to posts that are in violation of TOS, please report them instead. Continuing a discussion that is not permitted requires a bigger cleanup and possible thread closure.

Thank you for your efforts to adhere to the TOS we ALL agreed to when we joined Websleuths.

A thought I just had.. I wonder if LE ever asked people to check dash cam footage? Of course it would have to be soon after..from what I've read they store footage anywhere from 6 to 48 hours depending on storage capacity.

My kiddo has taken an interest lately in watching the "drives" through different cities and it made me think of it. Because on some of them, the vehicles and license plates are really clear.

A thought I just had.. I wonder if LE ever asked people to check dash cam footage? Of course it would have to be soon after..from what I've read they store footage anywhere from 6 to 48 hours depending on storage capacity.

My kiddo has taken an interest lately in watching the "drives" through different cities and it made me think of it. Because on some of them, the vehicles and license plates are really clear.

I wondered this, as well. Especially with the time of day-public trans, deliveries, and freight were likely on the road

And another thing about the footage.. Even if it isn't footage from that day or shortly after, it could be useful. Even in the weeks before her murder, the vehicle could have been caught on someone's dash cam and of course the killer wouldn't know that. My son loves watching the videos on YouTube, maybe someone happened to upload theirs.

And another thing about the footage.. Even if it isn't footage from that day or shortly after, it could be useful. Even in the weeks before her murder, the vehicle could have been caught on someone's dash cam and of course the killer wouldn't know that. My son loves watching the videos on YouTube, maybe someone happened to upload theirs.

Exactly. And if the person drove by the night before, there has to be a mundane camera somewhere that picked up the truck. Do red light cameras exist in the area/save footage of compliant drivers?

Exactly. And if the person drove by the night before, there has to be a mundane camera somewhere that picked up the truck. Do red light cameras exist in the area/save footage of compliant drivers?
I'm not sure on the traffic cams.
But what we know of - the truck is on camera at least 3 times. The surveillance that captured the murder, the ring camera on their home, and the other surveillance/camera in the neighborhood that shows the truck rounding a corner, in this article.
Woman gunned down in her driveway in 'monstrous' attack caught on video: 'We need justice for Liz'

I did look through a few dashcam videos on YouTube from that area around the time before the murder but didn't see any similar trucks. I know that's a stretch but it's also the kind of camera that can't be avoided by the killer. I wonder if they have ever been able to track down that truck and we just don't know about it. I'm not sure what kind of resources they have to be able to pin it down.

I agree about the truck and some obscure motive. I suppose this could be some stranger who, for some psychopathic reason, wanted to kill someone, anyone, just for the sick thrill of it. But I lean more toward someone Elizabeth had crossed paths with sometime in her past and the connection is too loose or vague for LE or anyone else to make the connection.

Covered on That Chapter today

Nice presentation that probably reaches a lot of people who don't pay attention to the news or realize there's a tragic case of murder that's gone cold. I noticed in the comments a couple of people who were involved in the Star Wars cosplay community. At least one mentioned how people have very dramatic and heated disagreements in those groups.

I hope this gets more information spread online within these groups or elsewhere. I don't think many people are aware of this case and getting the word out might bring clues and a conviction.

Nice presentation that probably reaches a lot of people who don't pay attention to the news or realize there's a tragic case of murder that's gone cold. I noticed in the comments a couple of people who were involved in the Star Wars cosplay community. At least one mentioned how people have very dramatic and heated disagreements in those groups.

I hope this gets more information spread online within these groups or elsewhere. I don't think many people are aware of this case and getting the word out might bring clues and a conviction.

Likewise. That show has a very large audience.

Covered on That Chapter today

Good one! I had not seen this one. Covers some things I had forgotten about like her just putting the signs out that morning. He seems to believe this person was not from the area or the immediate area based on the truck driving by the night before. (If LE can't ID the truck, how do they know the truck the night before was the same one? Just a rhetorical question that came to mind just now.)

There is much speculation in this video and on here that this is someone Elizabeth doesn't know. I tend to lean in that direction, BUT I'm not 100%. For example, could this be someone she went to high school with but had not seen in a while. She might have said 'Good morning' while trying to think of a name. Same with someone she crossed paths with at a Star Wars event - i.e., she recognized the face but couldn't immediately place the name. Compounding this is the possibility this killer may have had a disguise. Of course, if this was someone she came across at a Star Wars event she may have interacted with them but never saw them without their disguise such as a storm trooper's helmet.

Good one! I had not seen this one. Covers some things I had forgotten about like her just putting the signs out that morning. He seems to believe this person was not from the area or the immediate area based on the truck driving by the night before. (If LE can't ID the truck, how do they know the truck the night before was the same one? Just a rhetorical question that came to mind just now.)

There is much speculation in this video and on here that this is someone Elizabeth doesn't know. I tend to lean in that direction, BUT I'm not 100%. For example, could this be someone she went to high school with but had not seen in a while. She might have said 'Good morning' while trying to think of a name. Same with someone she crossed paths with at a Star Wars event - i.e., she recognized the face but couldn't immediately place the name. Compounding this is the possibility this killer may have had a disguise. Of course, if this was someone she came across at a Star Wars event she may have interacted with them but never saw them without their disguise such as a storm trooper's helmet.
The easiest way to fit the available data is that it was someone she doesn't know. Someone who was driving around and looking for an opportunity and found it when she was outside alone. This conflicts with what we know about most other violent crimes at home that are not home invasions: they normally involve someone close. To be honest I think there is no discernable connection between her and her killer. I hope we get to find out by watching them stand trial and EB can finally get justice.

We need way more info to make any guesses on who killed Elizabeth and why. I need to hear about phone records, financials and relationship info. The truck should be able to be tracked down ( time consuming, I know)

The easiest way to fit the available data is that it was someone she doesn't know. Someone who was driving around and looking for an opportunity and found it when she was outside alone.

The jury's out for me on who this person was to Elizabeth but I respectfully disagree that this motive fits the data.

Whoever killed her waited for her husband to leave. If this were a random thrill kill, they would not have known anything about when her husband leaves for work, and they would not have waited for that moment because they wouldn't have a way of knowing it was coming.

Furthermore, based on the pause between approach and shooting, some sort of conversation happens. Might have been a one-way conversation, we don't know. But whoever killed her wanted her to know something before she died, and then shot her in the head to ensure she did, in fact, die.

After that, there's a pause between the time the murderer gets in their car and the time they tear *advertiser censored* driving away. It's short but it's there. I can't see what's happening in the car so I'm guessing they either take a photo or send a text or something, but in any event, there was some quick task they had to do after the murder but before driving away. That's premeditation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni