Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #59 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
By all accounts, I do not believe there is any known history or evidence of physical abuse between BM and SM-- as also confirmed by her step-brother's interview.

To be clear, the domestic violence endorsement on BM's criminal complaint does not allege domestic violence of a physical nature, and is not a criminal charge. It's an enhancement for sentencing purposes.

IMO, we clearly witnessed BM's obsessive control over the finances watching his immediate filing of the guardianship. Financial control is also Domestic Violence under Colorado's definition.

Colorado Domestic Violence

Domestic violence is a pattern of controlling and abusive behavior involving two people who either are in an intimate relationship or were formerly in an intimate relationship. Domestic violence situations are often very emotional for those that are involved and to outsiders these situations appear very dramatic. One person is an aggressor, while the other is a victim. Domestic violence in Colorado is complex and can involve many different things.

It is not, in and of itself, a crime, but rather is an enhancement when another crime has been committed that carries certain extra considerations for sentencing if the aggressor is convicted and the requirement that the convicted offender be subjected to a domestic violence treatment program and a treatment evaluation. However, those offenders that are convicted of a domestic violence enhanced crime that serve prison time are not required to participate in a treatment program.

What Type Of Conduct Is Considered Domestic Violence In Colorado?

Domestic violence can cover a lot of different types of conduct, but primarily can be summed up in the following way:

An act of violence, a threat of violence, or any crime that is committed against a third party (e.g., the victim’s new significant other, or a family member or friend), animal, or property with the intention of causing fear or with the purpose of exercising control, coercion, intimidation, revenge or punishment, that is directed to the victim with which the aggressor had or has a relationship is domestic violence.

A number of actions can be considered to constitute domestic violence, including physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, or financial abuse (i.e., being controlling of money and finances), and can be overt or subtle.

https://www.justiceforcolorado.com/criminal/domestic-violence/

Last edited:
"And if one person got saved from this, she would think it was worth it."
I’m praying there will be at least 2 “people saved”! I pray both of her daughters learn valuable life lessons and don't end up married to narcissistic, abusive men capable of murdering their wives. Those are the only 2 people SM would have laid her life down for. That’s the only sane statement I can make regarding BM’s statement. BM was trying to sound like “a God fearing, loving, Christian when he said that. Only thing is, he’s so far off base it shows he knows very little about God or Christianity, all of course MOO.

That was a great interview. He painted the clearest picture of Barry I've heard so far. He also provided a lot of insight into Suzanne and Barry's relationship and how close they were. I didn't realize they met when Suzanne was in middle school. He talked about BM driving her around in the golf cart when they lived on the golf course as children and all the things Barry taught him about hunting even back then. Everyone adored him and some even idolized him.

He described how Barry lived for hunting, fishing and trapping and could skin a raccoon in 27 seconds. He even knew how to track deer. When he was younger he could carry an elk on his shoulders for two or three miles, according to Thomas.

Imagine how far he could have gone with a body. He could have parked his truck along a remote dirt road and taken the bobcat or the four wheeler and/or carried the body the rest of the way. He would have known to make sure his movements couldn't be traced by GPS, since he had experience using it for hunting and tracking.

No wonder LE can't find the body. I think TO may be right. Barry has his heels dug in and he's going to stick with his story.

I still have hope that someone will be able to break him and he will reveal where he put the body, no matter how unlikely it may be.
The location of the body is a major trump card for Barry and his defense team. The prosecutor will never entertain a plea deal without requiring Barry to disclose the location, or locations, of the body. He will be stuck with Murder One...at trial, unless he coughs up the info. So...if a plea deal develops down the road.....this will be the centerpiece.

BM’s hunting friend from
Indiana was Troy Skinner. He gave an interview to FOX 21 in July 2020.

IIRC, there were more of BM’s Indiana hunting buddies who came out and stayed with him at PP in September of 2020, but I’m unable to find a link to that article.

“Skinner said Barry would go on hunting trips to get away, it was his solitude time and it would re-energize him. During an elk hunting trip with Barry in Salida this past year, Skinner said he spoke with Suzanne about her health and having no hesitations in going on bike rides alone.

“She did talk about her bike rides, she liked it, she felt safe and she didn’t feel threatened on them,” Skinner explained.

When Skinner learned that Suzanne didn’t return from a bike ride, he immediately asked Barry what he could do to help. Unfortunately, in the beginning of the search efforts, his work schedule didn’t allow him to go to Colorado.

“I didn’t actually get to talk to Barry until two or three weeks into the ordeal and the times we have talked it’s not questioning on what happened or anything it’s hey I’m here for you and what can I do for you and letting him know that we care for him and the girls,” Skinner added. “It’s been two months but he’s still broken and the girls are having a hard time. I haven’t spoken with them directly but I’ve asked about them each time. He says it’s just very hard on everybody and you can hear it in his voice when he is talking to ya.”

He describes the Morphew’s as the sweetest people you’d ever meet. Skinner said Suzanne would talk to you like you were the only person in the room. He added that there were never cracks in the relationship.

“If Barry was involved, he would get his punishment and that’s the way it should be, but I would lose all faith in humanity because he just doesn’t have that in him,” Skinner said.”

Two months into search for missing Chaffee County mother, investigators “aggressively working this case” | FOX21 News Colorado

He asked her if she felt safe going off on her bike rides. It's too bad he didn't ask her if she felt safe coming back home.

JMO

Barry Morphew reminds me a great deal of Dr. Jeffrey McDonald...who killed his family back in the 70s..."Fatal Vision". He has the same traits: narcissist.....embeds himself with first responder type pals (volunteer firefighter vs. Army Special forces)...illusions of grandeur...i.e. living beyond his means. He liked big houses and toys...McDonald liked fancy cars. Both blamed police for "screwing up" an investigation by "contaminating the crime scene". Both loved attention, and were extremely adventuresome. McDonald is serving life to this day for killing his family and still denies it. One more thing...McDonald blamed the murders of his family on "four hippies, including one who was a druggie female wearing a floppy hat". Morphew said a drug or alcohol induced bad guy couldn't resist abducting his wife because "she is the most beautiful woman in the county". In both cases....reliance on a straw man bad guy is needed. Expect Barry's defense team to manufacture one...likely including a description of the guy provided by a "witness"...one of Barry's supporters of course. I wouldn't be surprised if Barry hasn't read "Fatal Vision"....it sounds just like his story. If you haven't read the book.....find it......fascinating and compelling..
Recently I researched that case, just for my own knowledge as I was looking up the similarities in these cases of handsome male murderers in prison and the attention they get from women. (McDonald, Watts, VDSloot, many more). But aside from that a couple of things stood out, when he returned to California where he had been working, all of those highly educated medical professionals openly vouched for him. Just like Barry's friend, above, says he would lose all faith in humanity if BM did it. Pretty much what Watts' friends said of him.

Easier to envision the wife running off, absurdly getting taken off her bike by a cougar, or killing her own kids because she was a go getter in sales, SR. I've always wondered if any pretty female murderers get all that attention, money, from guys outside of prison. I guess not, since those women can't cook and clean for the pen pals.

In the interview room last night, TO described a time when both he and Suzanne were in the kitchen, and breaking up over something funny. Sounds like it was hilarious and rolicking. TO mentioned that BM stuck his head in the door, and that SM completely changed in demeanor. I don't remember the exact words, but the image was as though she froze up, losing any sense of fun. Hard to explain, but I have seen this so many times.

The "boss" of the relationship making sure that his partner is not enjoying herself on her own, without his permission.
May also speak to jealousy, as a step-brother is not a blood relative and may have been perceived by a control freak as another man to whom SM was attracted.

My thoughts on Suzanne’s enjoying a light moment with her step-brother TO. MOO: Later that evening in the privacy of their home, away from the children, “So, what did you and Tom find so hilarious when I walked in on you in the kitchen? You weren’t talking about me, where you?” You see, she isn’t allowed anything private/personal, not even a joke, a recollection, without him being privy to it. It would have been no different had he walked in on a “solemn” discussion. “Pretty intense convo you were having with Tom in the kitchen this afternoon. You weren’t talking about me, where you?” Heaven forbid she would reveal any of his secrets, her concerns about anything he’s done. No private fun filled moments or reflection and discussion that didn’t include HIM. How utterly revealing his unexpected “visit” when she was supposed to be having some fun with her close friends. The man is incredibly SICK.

Poor, sweet Suzanne. It’s a sad way to have to live. As kind, generous and sweet as Suzanne was to those around her, she was likely never allowed to truly be ALL she could have been. Emotional, psychological abuse destroys one’s freedom to live life fully. And, when he could no longer control every aspect of her life, he resorted to physical violence to end it :(

MOO

My theory is sort of a hybrid concerning SM being in a DV group. I think she may have used volunteering to help others as a cover...while getting clandestine help for herself without Barry's knowledge. He would attend any and all meeting he thought she would attend if it involved her disclosing her own experiences. Remember this is a guy who flew to Florida for one day....unbeknownst to SM...when she went on a girls only outing to Florida with friends for a few days. He crashed their getaway...claiming to 'surprise' his wife. I am sure he did. That must have been humiliating for her...but Barry used humiliation as control...and intimidation. He was letting her know that he was keeping an eye on her at all times. Think of it...a one day flight back and forth to Florida just to send her a message. No, this type of individual would not allow his wife to participate in a DV group that involved them as a couple.
Great points! Yes, I see what you mean completely! Constant control! Been there!

Maybe Barry only listened to the middle of True Crime podcasts....

Actual alibis are compelling.

Crafted alibis are... porous.

Such a shame for Barry that he labored so hard to concoct an alibi for Sunday while leaving Saturday wide open, without alibi.

He blew it with the bike.

JMO

BM’s hunting friend from
Indiana was Troy Skinner. He gave an interview to FOX 21 in July 2020.

IIRC, there were more of BM’s Indiana hunting buddies who came out and stayed with him at PP in September of 2020, but I’m unable to find a link to that article.

“Skinner said Barry would go on hunting trips to get away, it was his solitude time and it would re-energize him. During an elk hunting trip with Barry in Salida this past year, Skinner said he spoke with Suzanne about her health and having no hesitations in going on bike rides alone.

“She did talk about her bike rides, she liked it, she felt safe and she didn’t feel threatened on them,” Skinner explained.

When Skinner learned that Suzanne didn’t return from a bike ride, he immediately asked Barry what he could do to help. Unfortunately, in the beginning of the search efforts, his work schedule didn’t allow him to go to Colorado.

“I didn’t actually get to talk to Barry until two or three weeks into the ordeal and the times we have talked it’s not questioning on what happened or anything it’s hey I’m here for you and what can I do for you and letting him know that we care for him and the girls,” Skinner added. “It’s been two months but he’s still broken and the girls are having a hard time. I haven’t spoken with them directly but I’ve asked about them each time. He says it’s just very hard on everybody and you can hear it in his voice when he is talking to ya.”

He describes the Morphew’s as the sweetest people you’d ever meet. Skinner said Suzanne would talk to you like you were the only person in the room. He added that there were never cracks in the relationship.

“If Barry was involved, he would get his punishment and that’s the way it should be, but I would lose all faith in humanity because he just doesn’t have that in him,” Skinner said.”

Two months into search for missing Chaffee County mother, investigators “aggressively working this case” | FOX21 News Colorado
Thank you. That's it.
MOO MOO unfortunately I believe the seed of a plan was planted that day TS queationed the safety of Suzanne riding a bike in the area.

Barry Morphew reminds me a great deal of Dr. Jeffrey McDonald...who killed his family back in the 70s..."Fatal Vision". He has the same traits: narcissist.....embeds himself with first responder type pals (volunteer firefighter vs. Army Special forces)...illusions of grandeur...i.e. living beyond his means. He liked big houses and toys...McDonald liked fancy cars. Both blamed police for "screwing up" an investigation by "contaminating the crime scene". Both loved attention, and were extremely adventuresome. McDonald is serving life to this day for killing his family and still denies it. One more thing...McDonald blamed the murders of his family on "four hippies, including one who was a druggie female wearing a floppy hat". Morphew said and drug or alcohol induced bad guy couldn't resist abducting his wife because "she is the most beautiful woman in the county". In both cases....reliance on a straw man bad guy is needed. Expect Barry's defense team to manufacture one...likely including a description of the guy provided by a "witness"...one

I agree with your comparisons with one exception. I'm certain you never meant to give any credit to BM. The statement i've bolded in red actually was:

"She's probably the most beautiful woman in the county":eek::mad:

I wanted to post the actual video of Andy Moorman saying that Suzanne was working with ... meetings.
MOO MOO
it is two different statements.
He starts to say she was working with ... (Counselors? Safe house people?) Pauses as he realizes that topic is leading to highly confidental information, then just picks up a cover statement of a more public type explanations of her doing something about DV "meetings."

Around 2:20.
‘I’m afraid this is domestic abuse’; Suzanne Morhpew’s brother says husband not participating in search, carrying shotgun to keep people off property | FOX31 Denver

<modsnip>
The call by the neighbor to report SM missing was received by authorities at 5:46 p.m. as stated in the very first press release:

On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

EBM to correct math

Last edited:
Barry Morphew reminds me a great deal of Dr. Jeffrey McDonald...who killed his family back in the 70s..."Fatal Vision". He has the same traits: narcissist.....embeds himself with first responder type pals (volunteer firefighter vs. Army Special forces)...illusions of grandeur...i.e. living beyond his means. He liked big houses and toys...McDonald liked fancy cars. Both blamed police for "screwing up" an investigation by "contaminating the crime scene". Both loved attention, and were extremely adventuresome. McDonald is serving life to this day for killing his family and still denies it. One more thing...McDonald blamed the murders of his family on "four hippies, including one who was a druggie female wearing a floppy hat". Morphew said a drug or alcohol induced bad guy couldn't resist abducting his wife because "she is the most beautiful woman in the county". In both cases....reliance on a straw man bad guy is needed. Expect Barry's defense team to manufacture one...likely including a description of the guy provided by a "witness"...one of Barry's supporters of course. I wouldn't be surprised if Barry hasn't read "Fatal Vision"....it sounds just like his story. If you haven't read the book.....find it......fascinating and compelling..

I saw a lot of similarities to Scott Peterson, as well. The whole "Golden Boy" persona. McDonald and Peterson both have that, too, imo.

I wanted to post the actual video of Andy Moorman saying that Suzanne was working with ... meetings.
MOO MOO
it is two different statements.
He starts to say she was working with ... (Counselors? Safe house people?) Pauses as he realizes that topic is leading to highly confidental information, then just picks up a cover statement of a more public type explanations of her doing something about DV "meetings."

Around 2:20.
‘I’m afraid this is domestic abuse’; Suzanne Morhpew’s brother says husband not participating in search, carrying shotgun to keep people off property | FOX31 Denver

Thank you for posting. TO's statements seemed to be second hand on anything related to the PP home. They last spoke in 2019 and likely had little detail regarding the day to day in the weeds information.

Like you, I think she may have attended under that "guise" but she was seeking help. Sometimes we find help, "helping" others.

<modsnip> I know that JR, the neighbor has been completely quiet since that day. The Daily Mail snapped a photo without consent but she has said nothing publicly.

I believe she had an overwhelming feeling of horror when she went over. I'm eager to hear what she saw and found.

Last edited by a moderator:
He asked her if she felt safe going off on her bike rides. It's too bad he didn't ask her if she felt safe coming back home.

JMO
RBBM
Ain’t THAT the truth! As far as I’m concerned, and I have some experience online with TS, he’s living in the same twilight zone BM is. Hopefully, the AA will extricate him from it! JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam