IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
This case is so tight, imo, that it doesn't matter where they move it. The evidence is strong and I think conviction is a sure thing, no matter where the trial is held.

jmo
Although I agree that they will most likely get a conviction, the court still has an obligation to ensure that he receives a fair trial, and I’m not sure that kind of jury could be drawn in tippecanoe county at this point.

I just wonder if they are concerned the publicity from Delphi would affect the jury for Lexington case. It's not a regular crime, but a notorious one, ykwim? If he's charged with Delphi, it will be a huge news story in the state.

jmo

I’m not so sure publicity is as big an issue as it’s often thought to be. If it were considered to be, the media would be prevented from reporting on any crimes prior to trial.

Prospective juries aren’t required to have heard nothing about any particular case, the only expectation is they’re willing to consider the proceedings with an open and impartial mind and vote to convict only if the evidence proves the accused is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I can’t recall any case that was successfully appealed in recent history solely due to advance publicity.

Although I agree that they will most likely get a conviction, the court still has an obligation to ensure that he receives a fair trial, and I’m not sure that kind of jury could be drawn in tippecanoe county at this point.
Nothing I want more than a fair trial (for every defendant) and hope I didn't give the impression I don't know the obligations of our legal system. I kinda got the hang of it. :)

jmo

If there’s adequate evidence to charge him with the Delphi murders as well, I don’t think the prosecution would delay. It’s not unusual for criminals to face separate trials while incarcerated for different crimes committed prior to their initial arrest, one trial following another.

JMO

Agreed. There's no reason to wait on an indictment if there's anything else they know he's guilty of, especially since the case against him for crimes against the 9-year-old is so clear and evident.

I’m not so sure publicity is as big an issue as it’s often thought to be. If it were considered to be, the media would be prevented from reporting on any crimes prior to trial.

Prospective juries aren’t required to have heard nothing about any particular case, the only expectation is they’re willing to consider the proceedings with an open and impartial mind and vote to convict only if the evidence proves the accused is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I can’t recall any case that was successfully appealed in recent history solely due to advance publicity.
I hear ya and I get it. I just don't see Delphi in any rush since he's already in jail and standing trial elsewhere. I can envision them standing back until Lexington is complete.

Personally, I'd like to see announcement....now. :)

jmo

I would hope they don't allow that monster to plea down to anything less than the maximum possible sentence, in which case, what does he stand to gain from a plea deal?

Not having to go to trial. County jails aren’t as nice as prisons, so if he knows he’s going to prison, he may not want to sit in county lock up for 2 years.

I came over here from the A&L thread but not sure I should? .... anything I have to say about this animal is related to assessment of whether he’s a fit for the crime against A&L.... but I followed you all here anyway!

Curious about this last line from above- “October 2020, he was convicted of criminal trespass and criminal mischief and was still on probation. He was convicted of criminal trespass and was wanted on warrants”

what does this all mean?? He was convicted of CM, CT in 10/20 & was still on probation from those convictions (if I’m reading that right) .... what is that second reference to a trespass conviction, another one? And if he was still/already on probation & wanted on warrants, why was he not picked up prior to kidnapping & attacking the 9-yo child neighbor?? This doesn’t make sense to me, can anyone explain what I’m missing?

My first thought IMO is maybe his parole officer had actually lost track of him ... which then makes me wonder whose house it was where he kidnapped the 9-yo & what his status there was - hard to imagine this bum could get it together to buy a home .... had he signed a lease?? Was there any record of him living there?

I do wish someone would report on all this stuff

According to his fb page, a few months ago, he got a job for more than $20/hr and rented a house. If this was true, his employer obviously didn’t run a background check, and neither did his landlord. It appears that he was homeless before then.

I just wonder if they are concerned the publicity from Delphi would affect the jury for Lexington case. It's not a regular crime, but a notorious one, ykwim? If he's charged with Delphi, it will be a huge news story in the state.

jmo

I hear ya and I get it. I just don't see Delphi in any rush since he's already in jail and standing trial elsewhere. I can envision them standing back until Lexington is complete.

Personally, I'd like to see announcement....now. :)

jmo

Lexington?

According to his fb page, a few months ago, he got a job for more than $20/hr and rented a house. If this was true, his employer obviously didn’t run a background check, and neither did his landlord. It appears that he was homeless before then.

how interesting, thanks!! It will be good to know how true this all is! he got a good paying job ... with what employer? and he rented a house ... at what address? If true should be easy enough to figure out., those Qs’ answers are matter of public record. If not true that he got high-paying job and/or rented house .... well they say everyone is a invented character on SM, right?

IMO I don’t look at SM but I hear BJC presents effectively as too likable to be BG .... or at least not homeless bum. Here is potential rabbit hole into how fake his SM life is.... JMO just speculating if this info did come out, MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam