Found Deceased CA - Joseph John Alvarez Espinosa, 20, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park 16 May 2021

j_in_c

Reaction score
This troubling story has been picked up on several media sites. An Oceanside, CA man who may be struggling with mental illness told his grandmother he needed to go to 29 Palms. She dropped him off along highway 62 without proper supplies for hiking in the desert and he has not made contact since.

IMO this is already too long to be out in the high desert without any supplies or skills. Hoping he stayed by the road and did not head off into the desert.

Deputies search for man missing since Sunday, last seen near the Twentynine Palms area - KESQ

3fb89741-a0ef-4b8a-89f6-7efeda757513-photo1.jpg

Search underway for Joey Espinosa missing at Joshua Tree National park

Joshua Tree National Park searched for missing hiker

Espinosa told his grandmother he needed to go to 29 Palms?
But - "Espinosa was last seen walking into the desert on Highway 62, about 30 miles east of Twentynine Palms, park officials said. He was wearing all black and carrying a canteen."
Unlikely he walked 30 miles from 29 Palms, to walk into the desert, and at the same time strange that his grandma would drop him off where he went into the desert.

from coastal Oceanside...did either of them have any idea of the danger? ..heat, disorientation in that expanse, & just a canteen?
The Bible verse...was this a religious venture of some kind?

Sadly, this won't end well for the young man.

Missing hiker at Joshua Tree National Park hasn’t been seen in 9 days, officials say

If his only water source is that canteen he was in trouble on day one. A typical canteen (including most military ones available as surplus) hold 1 quart (4 cups). A male in normal activities in warmer temperatures needs 15 and a half cups A DAY. At 300 pounds he would need significantly more than that. A canteen won't get you through one day in the desert. He's been gone 9. Prayers for his family.

Wonder why grandma thought this was a good idea.

I wonder when they say "undiagnosed" mental illness if the family was in denial about his behavior and maybe she just thought he was feeling very religious or maybe he badgered her to the point where she just gave in and took him where he wanted to go.

It does say the family returned to look for him, so I don't think it was anything nefarious. My guess is she was just naive as to how dangerous the desert environment is.

I really hope he ended up getting taken in by someone as it could mean he is alive still.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back