Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #60 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I sat and sat and sat and nothing happened so I logged off and cannot figure how to get back to where I was.

I give up.

I did the other link for the freebie... and it didn't give options to join an existing meeting. I can't deal with technical frustrations such as this, so I'll just follow what is in the threads.

View attachment 298664

Thanks.
Follow the link I posted earlier. Nothing will show in the screen until “virtual court” is in session. Good luck.

I thought it was a very interesting and informative interview and showed what a truly lovely person MM is
I agree that the comments about Suzanne attending Al Anon meetings was left open to different interpretations.

I have thought about it and my feelings are that it was connected to her father. MM did also say that Suzanne 's mother was a very private person . It could be Suzanne was taught from a very early age not to discuss family matters outside the home and before her parents divorced she might have tried to be the peacemaker between her them. She then continued to keep any problems in her own marriage to herself.

I do so hope Suzanne's girls get into contact with MM as she would be so supportive and compassionate in helping them through what has happened.
Yes, it would appear that her involvement with Al-Anon was most likely related to the relationship with her father. Also of note, MM mentioned how her mother remarked that it was interesting how both of her daughters married men that were so similar. Paraphrasing, not verbatim. MM left it at that. I believe MM is divorced and it appears SM was headed in the same direction. Two lovely women, in both mind and body, end up with the same wrong “type.” These types of relationships have a way of being visited upon the next generation. Let’s hope it stops here for this family. There are narcissists and there are malignant narcissists. You can walk away from one, but rarely the other :(

So much respect for MM, in giving everyone a window into their life and sorrow. Such a loving, compassionate and forgiving woman. Unfortunately, narcissists take advantage of these amazing people :(. All MOO.

Yes, it would appear that her involvement with Al-Anon was most likely related to the relationship with her father. Also of note, MM mentioned how her mother remarked that it was interesting how both of her daughters married men that were so similar. Paraphrasing, not verbatim. MM left it at that. I believe MM is divorced and it appears SM was headed in the same direction. Two lovely women, in both mind and body, end up with the same wrong “type.” These types of relationships have a way of being visited upon the next generation. Let’s hope it stops here for this family. There are narcissists and there are malignant narcissists. You can walk away from one, but rarely the other :(

So much respect for MM, in giving everyone a window into their life and sorrow. Such a loving, compassionate and forgiving woman. Unfortunately, narcissists take advantage of these amazing people :(. All MOO.
Beautifully expressed. MM is a remarkable woman, as was Suzanne, I am sure.

I know that so many were impressed by MM's attitude, but it left me sad and uncomfortable. I have no doubt that she will be called by the defense and questioned because she had so many complimentary and laudatory memories of BM. I understand that people are complex and have good and bad sides, but I fear that her words will be used to paint BM in an extremely positive light during trial. I appreciate her honesty, but I hope it doesn't backfire.

I was very curious about the text message SM sent her because a). it was something that she needed to think about before she could reply, b). Suzanne told her she appreciated her "transparency," c). it was one she felt the need to delete lest it fall into the wrong hands, yet d). SM wasn't in danger. It's hard for me to come up with a message that fits all of the above. All I can think is that it stated something to the effect of "I don't want to remain married. From a religious point of view, how bad would it be if I got a divorce?" I know that her sister is very religious, so that's why she may have wanted to think about it long and hard before she replied. Any other ideas? I know we'll find out soon enough in a trial, but we're all here to talk about the case, so I'd love to hear other ideas about the content of that last text message.

I think it's important to remember that that's what Suzanne told her sister. We're getting a focused portrait of control in that marriage.... it's possible Suzanne picked the house. It's also possible IMO that she covered for Barry A LOT. Could she dare say 'Barry insisted on this house'?

From appearances, it would appear that Suzanne left everything behind to move to Colorado, while Barry kept his pile of belongings.

A touch foreboding, no?

JMO
BBM
Excellent points! The “focused portrait” is from SM’s perspective while still covering for some of BM’s bad behavior, ie the infidelity alluded to in Indiana, bad behavior business wise, etc. All MOO. SM was trying to save her marriage with a new beginning. So very sad. She did what millions of other women have tried, unsuccessfully. I wonder what “it” was that brought out the absolute monster in BM? MOO
Anxiously waiting for 4 pm mountain time! MOO

I know that so many were impressed by MM's attitude, but it left me sad and uncomfortable. I have no doubt that she will be called by the defense and questioned because she had so many complimentary and laudatory memories of BM. I understand that people are complex and have good and bad sides, but I fear that her words will be used to paint BM in an extremely positive light during trial. I appreciate her honesty, but I hope it doesn't backfire.

I was very curious about the text message SM sent her because a). it was something that she needed to think about before she could reply, b). Suzanne told her she appreciated her "transparency," c). it was one she felt the need to delete lest it fall into the wrong hands, yet d). SM wasn't in danger. It's hard for me to come up with a message that fits all of the above. All I can think is that it stated something to the effect of "I don't want to remain married. From a religious point of view, how bad would it be if I got a divorce?" I know that her sister is very religious, so that's why she may have wanted to think about it long and hard before she replied. Any other ideas? I know we'll find out soon enough in a trial, but we're all here to talk about the case, so I'd love to hear other ideas about the content of that last text message.

I thought MM was very diplomatic when speaking about Barry.

Perhaps Suzanne had written about something she had found out about Barry's business dealings and wanted advice about what to do.

I think her sister is divorced,so would not be against Suzanne divorcing.

People raised in a “dysfunctional home” with someone who is a practicing alcoholic or someone who has quit drinking, benefit from AlAnon because it’s the day to day “behaviors” the “stinking thinking” that makes for the dysfunction, even existing in those who have never been a drinker. Many people gain a new perspective on their “own” behavior and reactions to situations and other people through AlAnon. Breaking the cycle is what it’s all about. The Morphew daughters could even gain knowledge through AlAnon. It’s a difficult family dynamics. What is familiar to us growing up often dictates our choices as adults, unless we educate ourselves. Melinda is a “super-sister” in my eyes. She’s done the work, a lot of it. Powerful interview. MOO
Cannot even explain the respect and admiration I have for Melinda due to her convincing Suzanne to go to Al-Anon to help her emotionally. What a kind and strong sister. I wish we knew the contents of the text Suzanne sent to Melinda, but I also understand and respect Melinda not sharing that.

Back to that text from SM to her sister (Melinda) the Friday before she disappeared.

I get the impression it was not SM asking, it was SM telling what was going to happen next. IMO

To add to my comment about this text. IMO, I also think SM might have made a confession in this text. I think it was more than saying I'm leaving my marriage. IMO

Oh, Wow! We’ll get you fixed before it starts this afternoon
Calling on Techies!!
I’m not sure what issue you’re running into. When I click on the link, this page comes up:
“Judge Murphy Virtual Courtroom” with a link to
“join meeting”

I clicked on “join meeting” then asked if I want to open app. (I’m on an iPad) I open in app and I’m in. Nothing is happening right now in the virtual courtroom, screen is empty. I’m given the option of letting the ‘court” know I’m there.
Just waiting for 4:00 mountain time now
MOO
EBM to add I sent you a message with screenshots of steps I went through to sign in

Good morning WS family. To borrow a quote from D.A. Linda Stanley...today is a good day! And it is all about justice for Suzanne! For those using iPhones - I just downloaded the Cisco Webex app (its free) and signed up (also free) by entering my email address and creating a password. Webex then sent me a code via email that I entered and then I was able to join the meeting by entering the meeting number 923 959 179. A page opened titled “Chaffee County District Courtroom Judge Patrick Murphy” and it says “Thanks for waiting we’ll start the meeting when the host joins.” It also asks if you want to notify the host that you are waiting but I didn’t click on that. I can only imagine how many people will be waiting to join the meeting. Judge Murphy would probably see thousands of notifications for people waiting and I’m afraid he might make it private or something especially if it’s going to cause a big disruption with noise and people not muting their mics etc. Oh and Webex gave me the option of disabling my microphone and camera before I logged into the meeting. So it appears I’m just waiting for the hearing to start. Fingers crossed this will really work! Good luck to everyone trying to connect to the hearing on various devices. I just wanted to tell anyone using an iPhone how simple it was to do it this way. Now whether it really works remains to be seen especially if the Judge blocks random public live viewing.

I have already informed DH that there will be no cooking of dinner tonight and that his wife will be on WS late into the night. :D He just rolls his eyes because he knows by now how much I am invested in this case and the outcome of this trial if there is one. I will be picking my chin up off the floor if BM does the right thing and decides to plead guilty, gives the location of Suzanne’s remain and spares his daughters (and all of the family members) from sitting through a long trial and hearing horrific details about what their father did to their mother. But I dont know if entering a plea is even part of the status hearing today. Please don’t laugh at me attorneys and seasoned true crime aficionados. This is the first case I have followed on WS and it will be the first trial so I’m still learning. :p

I almost feel guilty for looking forward to this hearing and reading the AA because it’s all so horrible. DH even asked me this morning if I was excited. I said excited for what? He said the big hearing today. I was surprised that he even remembered what I told him. He even said he would pick up dinner tonight. I was telling him how we are hoping for the AA to be unsealed today. He is an attorney and told me that he doesn’t think the defense really wants to keep the AA sealed but they have to act like they do and create a court record showing they tried to file motions to keep it sealed for appeal purposes. He thinks it would be in their best interest to have the AA out there so they can claim it has tainted the jury pool. He thinks they will want to move the trial away from Chaffee County. He is a corporate attorney so not sure how well he understands criminal defense strategy in a murder trial but it was an interesting perspective and I hadn’t thought about it like that.

Ok hopefully there will be a big WS presence viewing the hearing today and may we all be successful in getting in!

Let the Justice for Suzanne train start rolling!!! Right over Barry Morphew!

After listening to sister MM interview with the Interview Room where she talked about BM & SM borrowing $100K from GM because they were short of funds to purchase the CO house, this statement makes a lot more sense:

I think life happens, I think pressures and stresses in life, I think financial pressure bears in on people very heavily. It creates an atmosphere of discontent and strife and sometimes living beyond your means is a very hard thing to do,” Melinda Moorman continued, “Learning to be content with what you have is a very powerful thing in this life, and it brings great peace, and I don’t think Barry and Suzanne had gotten there yet, and that’s what I think kinda happened and I can’t really say more than that.”

Suzanne Morphew's Sister Talks About Forgiveness, Justice After Barry Morphew's Murder Arrest: 'I Feel Great Sadness'

Also, When MM said that GM asked BM to sign a promissory note and BM said “ What, don’t you trust me? Ask Suzanne.. she’s the one who borrowed it “...

My reaction is I didn’t know I could be even more disgusted with this guy. The fricking GALL! JMO

He is a corporate attorney so not sure how well he understands criminal defense strategy in a murder trial but it was an interesting perspective and I hadn’t thought about it like that.
Snipped for focus.

Well, we all went through the same courses in Law School so while he hasn't practiced it, he knows it at a ground level for sure.
I'm not a Criminal Attorney either (though I'm thinking about it, specifically Defense even if I lean Prosecution), and I would have to agree with his assessment that they're covering their bases for appeal grounds and a motion of change of venue

After watching Chris and Karen’s interview with Melinda Moorman before work this morning, I have so much more understanding and respect for Melinda and really admire her courage and strength. Melinda mentions relying on her faith to help get her through all she’s endured this past year, and that she’s forgiven BM. I have to say, she’s a much better person than myself as it would probably take me much longer to come to a place of forgiveness considering what he’s done and the heinous nature of his selfish acts. Hard to know without personally going through such an unimaginable situation, and hopefully will never know how it feels. Forgiveness is, understandably, a tough concept for many to grasp/understand sometimes, and I try not to judge anyone else’s timetable for offering forgiveness, as we are all different and very personal decision. The important thing about Forgiveness, and touched on during the interview, it’s a gift the forgiver gives to themself, to free themselves of anger and bitterness so those feelings don’t control/have power over them any longer.
It reminded me of a program I watched years ago, wish I could remember name, but it was about parents forgiving their child’s murderer. The program followed a Mother of a murdered daughter’s journey. Long story short, this courageous woman went to the prison to tell the murderer of her little girl face-to-face that she forgave him. Incredible. The woman was interviewed afterwards and explained, forgiving her child’s murderer doesn’t mean she condones or that it’s ok what the murderer did/took from her, but a release of negative emotions that allows her a semblance of peace, and the ability to move forward in her life without holding on to destructive negative emotions, and releasing the murderers power over her/her life. I continue to be in awe of the faith and strength it takes someone to be able to forgive the murderer whether of your child, sibling, spouse/partner, parent etc., it takes enormous amount of grace and strength, which IMO, Melinda has ten-fold. I have the utmost admiration and respect for this woman opening up her heart and soul to the world.

As to the things I learned about BM and finances, not one bit surprised. Despite the big homes, fancy vehicles, vacations, overall flashy lifestyle etc., I never bought into the idea they were wealthy, that it was all for show/image, and Melinda pretty much confirmed my suspicions that it was all a facade. That BM was cash poor, borrowing money from GM and some of his friends to buy PP home, a home they clearly couldn’t afford. IMO, they had big debt and BM was essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul, which I suspected all along. IMO, BM was doing a lot of shady things with regard to not just their personal finances, but in his business financial dealings as well, and have particular interest in what the financial forensics will show. Not expecting to be surprised at all by any shady, underhanded business deals/dealings BM was running and/or involved in.

Also appreciate Melinda talking about Suzanne describing the beautiful person she was, and the relationship the two sisters had, which sounds like they had a very loving, special bond. Like a good big sister, Melinda offered counsel and tried to help Suzanne. She obviously cared about and loved her baby sister with all her heart. It was a great interview filled with so much informative info, and probably will watch again to fully take it all in.

Lastly, I was totally riveted by Melinda’s description of the feeling she, and one of Suzanne’s close friends, both had on Saturday night, May 9th. Melinda described after saying a prayer before settling into bed that night,
she had an overwhelming sense of grief come over her, and said she feels that that is when Suzanne went home to be with the Lord. Heartbreaking.

All of the above IMHOO.

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
To add to my comment about this text. IMO, I also think SM might have made a confession in this text. I think it was more than saying I'm leaving my marriage. IMO
I completely agree with you @K9Enzo I feel that the text message was very powerful and it was only for MM's eyes to see. MM was afraid someone else would read it which is why she deleted the text message IMO

Good morning WS family. To borrow a quote from D.A. Linda Stanley...today is a good day! And it is all about justice for Suzanne! For those using iPhones - I just downloaded the Cisco Webex app (its free) and signed up (also free) by entering my email address and creating a password. Webex then sent me a code via email that I entered and then I was able to join the meeting by entering the meeting number 923 959 179. A page opened titled “Chaffee County District Courtroom Judge Patrick Murphy” and it says “Thanks for waiting we’ll start the meeting when the host joins.” It also asks if you want to notify the host that you are waiting but I didn’t click on that. I can only imagine how many people will be waiting to join the meeting. Judge Murphy would probably see thousands of notifications for people waiting and I’m afraid he might make it private or something especially if it’s going to cause a big disruption with noise and people not muting their mics etc. Oh and Webex gave me the option of disabling my microphone and camera before I logged into the meeting. So it appears I’m just waiting for the hearing to start. Fingers crossed this will really work! Good luck to everyone trying to connect to the hearing on various devices. I just wanted to tell anyone using an iPhone how simple it was to do it this way. Now whether it really works remains to be seen especially if the Judge blocks random public live viewing.

I have already informed DH that there will be no cooking of dinner tonight and that his wife will be on WS late into the night. :D He just rolls his eyes because he knows by now how much I am invested in this case and the outcome of this trial if there is one. I will be picking my chin up off the floor if BM does the right thing and decides to plead guilty, gives the location of Suzanne’s remain and spares his daughters (and all of the family members) from sitting through a long trial and hearing horrific details about what their father did to their mother. But I dont know if entering a plea is even part of the status hearing today. Please don’t laugh at me attorneys and seasoned true crime aficionados. This is the first case I have followed on WS and it will be the first trial so I’m still learning. :p

I almost feel guilty for looking forward to this hearing and reading the AA because it’s all so horrible. DH even asked me this morning if I was excited. I said excited for what? He said the big hearing today. I was surprised that he even remembered what I told him. He even said he would pick up dinner tonight. I was telling him how we are hoping for the AA to be unsealed today. He is an attorney and told me that he doesn’t think the defense really wants to keep the AA sealed but they have to act like they do and create a court record showing they tried to file motions to keep it sealed for appeal purposes. He thinks it would be in their best interest to have the AA out there so they can claim it has tainted the jury pool. He thinks they will want to move the trial away from Chaffee County. He is a corporate attorney so not sure how well he understands criminal defense strategy in a murder trial but it was an interesting perspective and I hadn’t thought about it like that.

Ok hopefully there will be a big WS presence viewing the hearing today and may we all be successful in getting in!

Let the Justice for Suzanne train start rolling!!! Right over Barry Morphew!
^^^^ Great, great post!

I completely agree with you @K9Enzo I feel that the text message was very powerful and it was only for MM's eyes to see. MM was afraid someone else would read it which is why she deleted the text message IMO

Yes, she said she didn't even want to accidently forward it to anyone else. She also said LE was able to recover it. IMO

Im logged into the webex but have no audio. It asks if i want audio thru internet, call in or call me? I chose thru internet and afraid of messing up the process by calling in. Tia for help

I logged in and only received video. I then tried calling in and you can hear on your phone and stay in the app for video. Not the best solution, but it works!

Back to that text from SM to her sister (Melinda) the Friday before she disappeared.

I get the impression it was not SM asking, it was SM telling what was going to happen next. IMO

I agree. I think Suzanne was telling, not asking.

I think that she had come to a hard decision about how she wanted to live out the rest of her life. I'm basing that on the small hints that we have seen of a spiritual and personal growth, perhaps her second cancer bout was the catalyst.

She not only told her sister that she wanted a divorce, but she told her why, in detail. Because Suzanne needed her sister's support and understanding.
IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member