TX - Cash Gernon, 4, found dead in street w/multiple wounds, Dallas, 15 May 2021 #2 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb. Incident?
Quick thought but no time to check atm.
When DB punched G'fa of 2 y/o, was he only 17 y/o then?

If so, would that have been handled in juvie system proceeding?
Maybe was a factor in G'fa's or prosecutor's decision not to press charges?

Just came to mind. Can anyone check DB's DOB? TiA.
Gotta run.
DB turned 18 in December... DOB 12/29/2002, per Arraignment Sheet.

good morning sleuths. Just reading the new developments now. Bear with me if I share news you've already read as I get caught up to speed. I will share what jumps out at me so I can find it later. TIA

Three days after Cash was found dead on a Dallas street while wearing only a pair of shorts, the grandfather met with child abuse detectives to say he now wanted to press charges in the incident, KTVT reported. Suspect in Cash Gernon case allegedly grabbed another toddler

This explains to me why we saw those charges and not the expected murder charges in Cash's case. Because these new ones relate to the little girl/grandfather incident and not Cash. Which means we are still awaiting a charge of murder in regards to Cash.
---------
At the time of the incident, the homeowner decided not to press charges.
'Sorry For Trying To Take Your Grandchild', Suspect In Cash Gernon Homicide Grabbed Sleeping 2-Year-Old In February

ah man. We have discussed the seeming escalation of DB's bold acts. Now we see from this info that he was heading towards abducting a small child all the way back in February. I wonder several things. Was the February breakin assault abduction attempt in the same general neighborhood/area as DB's other acts (ie. was this incident geographically near to MS residence)? Would MS or her teens have reason to know about it even tho DB was never charged? Like neighborhood gossip or DB bragging to peers? I am wondering if that is the reason for the MS household not wanting him around and MS statement that she was angry her teens had let DB in the house and around the babies.

I wonder how that grandfather feels? Knowing now what DB would go on to do. There has to be some sense of guilt there. And relief that his granddaughter is still with us.

Man it feels like this kid was just escalating all over the place and his mother's statements initially when he was charged just keep coming back to me. There were opportunities to prevent this horrific crime. And yet nobody did so. Everyone gave this kid pass after pass as he turned into a killer.
I have serious questions as to why DB was even at that house two days prior to Cash being abducted and killed. "Interacting" with Cash"
Sherrod revealed Brown, whom she described as an acquaintance of one of her sons, had visited the house two days earlier and interacted with Cash while she was out, which angered her at the time.

'I told him don't come back around my kids. I don't want you,' she said.

'I was out grocery shopping when he was here. I'd left the twins with my boys and daughter. He was only here a short time. Emily said he creeped her out. I got upset with them.'
"Inside the bedroom where four-year-old Cash Gernon was snatched from his bed" Inside the bedroom where Cash Gernon was 'snatched by Darriynn Brown'
Serious questions. MOO

“Cash Gernon murder suspect Darriyn Brown 'tried to snatch a two-year-old girl from her grandfather's home in February' - but he didn't call police

IMO, until I see confirmation from LE, this story is a crock of poop.

Numerous news outlets are reporting it, most seem to be attributing the story to "according to an arrest affidavit obtained by KTVT," whose article does not provide a copy of the affidavit.

“Cash Gernon murder suspect Darriyn Brown 'tried to snatch a two-year-old girl from her grandfather's home in February' - but he didn't call police

IMO, until I see confirmation from LE, this story is a crock of poop.

This CBS story seems to suggest the incident was reported to LE at the time but the grandfather declined to press charges or pursue legal remedy for the incident until after Cash was killed. At least that's how I've been reading the MSM coverage. I haven't read the Daily Mail story yet.

The article may be a crock but I believe the incident happened and it appears LE do as well since the latest charges against DM seem to support that.

ETA link I forgot to share with this one 'Sorry For Trying To Take Your Grandchild', Suspect In Cash Gernon Homicide Grabbed Sleeping 2-Year-Old In February

Last edited:
There are a number of theories being put forth here that seem a bit too sophisticated for our suspect. Had he not had a series of previous encounters in and around the neighborhood with random semi-bizarre acts of vandalism, violence and theft, I could possibly entertain the "pawn of a cartel" theory. But a person who's randomly wandering the neighborhood at night committing random property crimes is, in my opinion, not a reliable scapecoat for sophisticated drug debt revenge scheme by an unseen party. He's a wild card, not in control of his impulses, they need someone predictable. This guy, if he was the pawn of someone else, would be blabbing to everyone who would listen, and we would have heard about it by now. What do we hear from LE? He is our only suspect, he did this alone, we're just waiting for the lab tests to confirm what we already know.

The prior incident of attempted kid-snatching, and yes, I'm assuming it happened based on what I've read so far, just confirms to me that our suspect seems to have some sort of fixation with kids, and a level of poor impulse control that is incompatible with coexistence in civilized society. My guess is that there were other signs, many of them, and he should have been institutionalized long ago.

I'm also willing to gamble and say the motive is sexual, and it escalated to murder because you can't keep an upset child quiet at that age.

Great post.
And I completely agree with you that Darriynn was not working for or with anyone when he kidnapped & killed Cash. moo
I’m also afraid his motivation was sexual. moo

Additionally, Darriynn's mother Mimi claims her son was at home all weekend and it's not possible that he even committed the crime. "That’s not right at all,” said Mimi Brown, mother of the suspect. “I know my son is traumatized. I know he’s scared, because I’m scared.”

Brown is a patient of Metrocare Services that provides mental health care to children and adults, the mother said. "Darriynn is very kind,” she said, mentioning how Brown helps take care of his several young cousins at home. “I feel that he’s being framed," she shared.
Darriynn Brown has not been charged for Cash Gernon's murder, his mom says he was 'home all weekend'

Nobody will ever convince me this mother was unaware of the February incident where her son broke into a grandfather's home and snatched up a toddler. So her statements made on his initial arrest are even more ludicrous and inflammatory to me. I'll say it again. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

I really hope those young cousins were evaluated for abuse / sexual abuse knowing that he helped take care of them. moo

Great post.
And I completely agree with you that Darriynn was not working for or with anyone when he kidnapped & killed Cash. moo
I’m also afraid his motivation was sexual. moo

My only issue with this theory is how rarely sexual predators cross gender lines, generally a pedophile isn’t gonna go for a girl at first then switch to a boy. But then again killers rarely cross racial boundaries either so who knows.

I really hope those young cousins were evaluated for abuse / sexual abuse knowing that he helped take care of them. moo

That was my first thought too, yeah I bet he was great with little ones, generally predators are so they can have free access and little suspicion of anything nefarious happening. If he is the child predator we’re led to believe he is, then those kids have very very likely been abused by him.

Good catch!! According to that video, the rug was taken from a second location related to the crime, the last 2 digits of the address are 27. Do we have the exact addresses of MS and DB?

ETA after watching the video again, the second location is in fact the home of MS. Seems like they took the rug, a grey towel, and what looks to be like a poster?

If DB acted alone, and the plan was simply to murder cash, I have to wonder why he didn’t just do it at the home of MS, why risk being seen carrying a crying/bleeding toddler 8 whole blocks? I also wonder if there’s a reason for cash being left on the road in that spot he was found. Does DB or any of the MS family have any connections to the people living where cash was found?

An address ending in 27 is MS's address. 7527 FLORINA PKWY. Although it could be other addresses but that is MS's address.

This CBS story seems to suggest the incident was reported to LE at the time but the grandfather declined to press charges or pursue legal remedy for the incident until after Cash was killed. At least that's how I've been reading the MSM coverage. I haven't read the Daily Mail story yet.

The article may be a crock but I believe the incident happened and it appears LE do as well since the latest charges against DM seem to support that.

ETA link I forgot to share with this one 'Sorry For Trying To Take Your Grandchild', Suspect In Cash Gernon Homicide Grabbed Sleeping 2-Year-Old In February

according to the dailymail article, “It's unclear if they knew each other or how Brown got into the home or even targeted it but the grandfather, initially, chose not to press charges or even notify the cops.”

According to cbslocal, “Child Abuse Detectives met with the man on May 18 to interview him about the incident on Feb. 8. He told them he now wanted to press charges against Brown.”

If some guy broke into my home, and started going thru all my rooms and closets, while my 2 year old granddaughter is sleeping on my couch, and I have to chase him out with a knife, AND THEN HE COMES BACK, KICKING DOWN MY DOOR, I’m calling 911, aren’t you? Nah, let’s just open the door to the guy who’s just invaded my home, who I had to chase out with a knife, while my 2 year old is sleeping on the couch :rolleyes:

Additionally, Darriynn's mother Mimi claims her son was at home all weekend and it's not possible that he even committed the crime. "That’s not right at all,” said Mimi Brown, mother of the suspect. “I know my son is traumatized. I know he’s scared, because I’m scared.”

Brown is a patient of Metrocare Services that provides mental health care to children and adults, the mother said. "Darriynn is very kind,” she said, mentioning how Brown helps take care of his several young cousins at home. “I feel that he’s being framed," she shared.
Darriynn Brown has not been charged for Cash Gernon's murder, his mom says he was 'home all weekend'

Nobody will ever convince me this mother was unaware of the February incident where her son broke into a grandfather's home and snatched up a toddler. So her statements made on his initial arrest are even more ludicrous and inflammatory to me. I'll say it again. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

The mother is in denial IMHO. I find a lot of people are that way. (friends, family, neighbors, co-workers) of someone that committed a heinous crime often feel that way. If you're not 'odd' then they think you couldn't have possibly done such a terrible thing. I've seen comments like "He was so nice", "He used to wave hello when we walked out dog past his house", etc. Being odd doesn't mean you're capable of killing and being nice doesn't mean you AREN'T capable of killing! If people left their emotions out of the equation they'd be more open to the fact someone you love/know/like could do something terrible. It happens all the time as does the denial.

Feb. Incident?

Gotta run.

No, he'd be 18 then as he is now. His BD is 12/29 so he was barely 18 when the Feb incident happened.

Feb. Incident?

Gotta run.

his DOB is 12/29/2002

I think that for a fee at the Dallas County site the arrest record and maybe Affidavit can be acquired. Is that correct? I will pay for it just to have one piece of this cleared up. Well worth it, if possible.

some jurisdictions, even in places with fairly open records and online access sometimes put things under seal, or if not require in person visit to request a record if a minor child is named in the affidavit. I’m actually not sure if an arrest affidavit can be requested from the clerk of courts.

I saw the Daily Mail is saying grandpa didn’t even contact police. It occurs to me that could be wrong, or half true - someone ELSE might have called it in.

The coincidental “arrest” report in the local online rag published last April, listing Texas open records as the source, of an arrest on 2/8/2021 of DB is not so easily dismissed in light of the now sworn allegation of DBs rampage that evening (Curiously except for Google cache, and my personal screenshots, that page has been expunged from the local website.) Assuming the incident reported was expunged from the Texas database but really existed on the date the website reported, it’s also not impossible that if DB was in a state that night, he might bother someone else enough to trigger some kind of interaction with authorities.

DoB & Juvie System?
Feb. Incident?
Gotta run.
DB turned 18 in December... DOB 12/29/2002, per Arraignment Sheet.
No, he'd be 18 then as he is now. His BD is 12/29 so he was barely 18 when the Feb incident happened.
his DOB is 12/29/2002
Thanks to all - @Factoria @Gemmie @lab.tx - who provided DB's birthdate.
Looks like we can put that thought - about Feb. incident possibly being handled thru juvie system - to rest.
Thanks again. :D:)

according to the dailymail article, “It's unclear if they knew each other or how Brown got into the home or even targeted it but the grandfather, initially, chose not to press charges or even notify the cops.”

According to cbslocal, “Child Abuse Detectives met with the man on May 18 to interview him about the incident on Feb. 8. He told them he now wanted to press charges against Brown.”

If some guy broke into my home, and started going thru all my rooms and closets, while my 2 year old granddaughter is sleeping on my couch, and I have to chase him out with a knife, AND THEN HE COMES BACK, KICKING DOWN MY DOOR, I’m calling 911, aren’t you? Nah, let’s just open the door to the guy who’s just invaded my home, who I had to chase out with a knife, while my 2 year old is sleeping on the couch :rolleyes:

This is Texas, I’m shocked DB wasn’t shot by anyone.

I also can’t fathom grandpa not calling the police, this was a serious felony. It’s not like he stole a candy bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998