GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's near insulting to hear that CBR's rights violated for having to answer questions from investigators after he worked a long day on the farm!

Ask how many Brooklyn farmers put in 12 hour days only to grab a bite and join their neighbors to search for Mollie?

Dalton worked 12.5 hour days on a construction crew and managed to drive 150 miles after his shift to meet with investigators and search for Mollie.

And the hog farmer with prior stalking charges? He endured hours of questioning at the fire station and doubt he was offered food.

CBR, convicted for this murder, was hardly singled out without cause!

MOO
BAM!

I disagree. What was disallowed was the interview/interrogation that happened between the hours 11:30 pm and early morning when authorities and CBR left the Sheriff's Office to drive to the cornfield including driving by CBR's residence so he could orient himself on how to reach the cornfield.

I don't believe that CBR ever provided LE any details of how he murdered Mollie because he "blocked it" or "blacked out." I also think it was during these hours that authorities first learned that the blood found in CBR's vehicle tested positive for Mollie's blood. It was this information that was most feared at being lost but was safe after the Court ruled that CBR voluntarily gave LE permission to search his vehicle at the farm.

The suppression of evidence hearings are online. MOO

Good points. I am the person who watches the outtakes in movies though. They usually have valuable information that shouldn't have been cut in the first place and they tend to always clear up any confusion I may have about what I just watched. I sort of feel the same with this because 5-6 hours is a big chunk of time. MOO.

He was re-Mirandized before he went in that cornfield directly to her battered remains that were so hidden, teams of LE could not find her in there. Only he could find her.

He stabbed her in her face and put a hole in her skull (probably because she was screaming!)
Mollie is entitled to the same degree of justice as everyone else.
The justice Mollie is entitled to is any and all responsible parties being held accountable.

The details we know now make it virtually impossible that Mollie received those horrendous wounds at the point of abduction. You can speculate that CR must have just driven alone directly to that field and committed a more violent attack there, but it’s just as plausible that he did not go directly to that field. And it’s equally as plausible that others participated or had knowledge.

That's why the US has potentially as many as 120,000 people incarcerated as a result of wrongful conviction, because law enforcement and the legal system didn't care about how how they went about doing their work.

1) Who, may I ask, has decided that “the US has potentially as many as 120,000 people incarcerated as a result of conviction”?

2)If the US “potentially” has 120,000 wrongfully convicted people incarcerated people couldn’t you also make the statement that “potentially” there are, let’s say 2, wrongfully convicted people incarcerated.

I don't know what his sleeping patterns are, but up at 7am and finishing at 5pm I think, is a long day. The fact that he was sleeping at times, then woken, questioned, then sleeping, then woken, then questions, I'm not a psychologist, but -

Why Sleep Deprivation Is Torture.

The Miranda violation (that the judge cured with his ruling) would not have changed the interview at all, CBR had the power to leave the interview whenever he felt like it before being read his Miranda Warning and being placed in custody. He also had the right to ask for an attorney once the warning had been read.

He did not have to participate once the warning was read to him, as he was told that 'you have the right to remain silent". Leaving out 'anything you say can and will be used against you' didn't alter the above facts, as he was told directly after that that he had the right to attorney and if he couldn't afford one, one would be provided to him. That he didn't ask for an attorney, or even tell his sweater-ninja story, isn't the officers' fault.

The justice Mollie is entitled to is any and all responsible parties being held accountable.

The details we know now make it virtually impossible that Mollie received those horrendous wounds at the point of abduction. You can speculate that CR must have just driven alone directly to that field and committed a more violent attack there, but it’s just as plausible that he did not go directly to that field. And it’s equally as plausible that others participated or had knowledge.
It sure is possible and the only person that knows that besides Mollie, who isn't here to speak up, is CBR and he chose to make up some ridiculous story instead of saying the truth. We have to go on the evidence and that was her blood in his car that he admitted to driving around and being the only person in at the time she was abducted. He took them to her body. Until he speaks the truth or some other evidence is discovered, there isn't much that can be done to prove someone else was involved. What we do know is HE was involved and he was convicted. If he decides to actually tell the entire truth from behind bars, maybe more justice can be done.

I'd argue that it's not plausible at all or he would have come with version #4 (1 - "I didn't do it." 2 - "I don't remember, but I guess I did it." 3 - "The sweatered ninjas did it.")

Agent says lack of Spanish skills delayed Iowa investigation

Vileta said the evidence suggests Tibbetts was abducted on a road outside Brooklyn after 8 p.m., but that he does not know precisely where or when she was killed.

Data from Tibbetts’ cellphone provider shows her phone was moving at a running pace before accelerating to over 60 mph around 8:27 p.m. and eventually slowing down and stopping more than 10 miles away, FBI agent Kevin Horan testified. By 8:53 p.m., her phone went dark.

This suggests to me that CBR did not take Mollie to his house, which is less than 6 miles south of 385th Ave. on 200 (but he likely drove right past his house).

But I agree there is an opening for wonder at this stop he made. What happened there?

Iirc, in the beginning when LE was looking at the pig farmer, they were saying that it was near her phone's last ping. Somewhere there was a stop, and it was 26 minutes from when her phone suddenly headed south from 385th to when it went off.

There's definitely a hole in our knowledge of events.

Last edited:
That's why the US has potentially as many as 120,000 people incarcerated as a result of wrongful conviction, because law enforcement and the legal system didn't care about how how they went about doing their work.

If you feel so strongly about this I highly encourage you to go to law school and become a public defender. Most people I know care deeply about criminal justice from both sides. But sitting here whining about the people actually out there doing the hard work is a waste of time.

I don't know what his sleeping patterns are, but up at 7am and finishing at 5pm I think, is a long day. The fact that he was sleeping at times, then woken, questioned, then sleeping, then woken, then questions, I'm not a psychologist, but -

Why Sleep Deprivation Is Torture.
That's not a long day. The average work day is from 8 to 5.

What evidence do you have of these other people? I don't seen how it's plausible unless there is evidence supporting it. People cannot appear out of nowhere like CBR's ninjas. His story isn't plausible because there is nothing reasonable about it in my opinion.

He's being voluntarily questioned / interviewed, is read the incomplete Miranda Rights. They find Mollie's blood
in the trunk during the voluntarily questioning / interview, so read him the complete Miranda Rights again, that now becomes a formal interview. I know the Judge decided to allow the evidence, but it's still there to be Appealed, the more I think about it, the less sense it makes.

The blood evidence is not tied to the information allowed at trial (at all). Investigators received permission from the suspect earlier in the day, to search both his home and his vehicle. A miranda warning is not required if investigators have received verbal or written authorization to do so. Did some of the questioning that night pertain to the blood found in/on the vehicle? Most likely. However; that portion of the interview was excluded from trial.

I am not completely understanding why this may be an issue? The man convicted of murder admitted on the witnesses stand himself that Mollie's deceased body was in the trunk of his car. He was not at the police station being interviewed when he made the following statements (again; on the witness stand): he removed her body from the trunk of his car, walked into the corn field, laid her on the ground, covered her with corn stalks, then just walked away. He kept this secret to himself for 5 weeks. Because he was scared. He obviously did not take into account the sheer terror Mollie must have felt.

IMO, any statements made in a court of law, under sworn testimony should not be cause for an appeal. As far as I know, witnesses do not require a miranda warning to testify? Maybe one of our dedicated attorneys can better answer that? IF he lied on the witness stand (ninjas come to mind), he should be held accountable for perjury.

But I agree there is an opening for wonder at this stop he made. What happened there?
Answer: He killed her....at the cornfield.
Okay I used to run maybe this will help you. Mollie ran a 10 minute mile. The route she was going that day was 3 miles out to 200th st turn around and 3 miles back. Mollie left at about 7:30, so she should have been back by 8:45. Christina S. saw her on 385th by the S curve around 7:45 ish. She would have hit 200th st at about 8:15..so she is on time to hit 200th, turn around and start back home.
She was abducted between 8:20 and 8:30...on her way back. Remember CBR said he made a U turn. Why say that? Because he did. Mollie was going back home. So to get back to 200th and then to the cornfield he had to turn around.

Anyway...he drives 10 miles at 60 mph. That puts him by the cornfield by 8:35 ish. The pig farmer is basically around the corner...10 miles from 385th.

To me, there was no stop...the phone went dark 26 minutes later because he ripped it off of her arm (it was in a running armband) and turned it off. She was dead by 8:53 -9 pm. He didn't make a stop on the way..he was at his destination...the cornfield...10 miles away.
8:27 -8:35 ish he is driving to the cornfield.
8:35 ish to 8:53 ish he is attacking raping killing and she is dead and so is her phone.
There is no stop..except the cornfield.
He never went to or past his house. He went 385th to 200th to 460th to cornfield. Kill. Done.
The phone stopped 10 miles away because that is where the cornfield is. :(

Last edited:

@rebel123, that is a fascinating statistic. I would very much like to read and explore a little more. Do you have a link you could provide addressing this? I did a quick internet search, but didn't find the same information. TIA

IMO, any statements made in a court of law, under sworn testimony should not be cause for an appeal. As far as I know, witnesses do not require a miranda warning to testify? Maybe one of our dedicated attorneys can better answer that? IF he lied on the witness stand (ninjas come to mind), he should be held accountable for perjury.
^^rsbm

The Miranda warning stems from the Fifth Amendment (privilege against self-incrimination, and Sixth Amendment (right to counsel).

The Constitution provides that once an individual is detained by police, authorities are required to remind the detainee of these rights.

At trial, a witness/defendant is sworn in prior to offering any testimony. No Miranda applicable at trial - a defendant is not required to testify and the accused is obviously represented by defense counsel.

Miranda v. Arizona
The requirement to give Miranda warnings came from the Supreme Court decision, Miranda v. Arizona, 384 US 436 (1966). In Miranda, the Court held that a defendant cannot be questioned by police in the context of a custodial interrogation until the defendant is made aware of the right to remain silent, the right to consult with an attorney and have the attorney present during questioning, and the right to have an attorney appointed if indigent.

Miranda Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member