NY NY - Erica Franolich, 26, Middleburgh, 13 Oct 1986

I always thought the post mortem interval was the time between discovery and doing an autopsy, not the estimated time of death. I could be wrong, but if it's one and the same, why list estimated time of death above it in NamUs? If anyone knows for sure, please feel free to clarify for me :)

I always thought the post mortem interval was the time between discovery and doing an autopsy, not the estimated time of death. I could be wrong, but if it's one and the same, why list estimated time of death above it in NamUs? If anyone knows for sure, please feel free to clarify for me :)
From wikipedia:

"Post-mortem interval (PMI) is the time that has elapsed since a person has died. If the time in question is not known, a number of medical/scientific techniques are used to determine it. This also can refer to the stage of decomposition of the body."

When it comes these cases, I take it to mean the time between the individual's death and discovery.

Deleted - repost of something already reported.

From wikipedia:

"Post-mortem interval (PMI) is the time that has elapsed since a person has died. If the time in question is not known, a number of medical/scientific techniques are used to determine it. This also can refer to the stage of decomposition of the body."

When it comes these cases, I take it to mean the time between the individual's death and discovery.
thanks for the clarification
I just remember a few cases listing the person being as deceased for a couple of hours but the PMI was months out, so I wonder if there is some confusion on the part of the person creating the report.

I lived in Middleburgh at that time. Knew the franolich family loosely. Lets just say that the boys were an unpredictable bunch, being I lived and know well the very street Erica disappeared on.this case haunts me..I know I must have seen her in Middleburgh at the time period. I just can't place her....

State Police still investigating missing mother of 2, missing for 3 decades

MIDDLEBURGH -- New York State Police on Tuesday highlighted the case of a missing mother last seen in Schoharie County in 1986 who may have been the victim of foul play.

Erica Jayne Franolich, then 26, is believed to have been last seen at about 9 p.m. Oct. 13, 1986, in the area of Main Street and Railroad Avenue in Middleburgh, state police said as part of their "Cold Case Tuesday" effort.

She wasn't reported missing until the next February -- Feb. 25, 1987 -- to authorities in Michigan by her family living there, after they could not get in touch with Franolich, state police said.

At the time of her disappearance, Franolich was a mother of two and living with her husband and their young son in Schoharie County, state police said.

Franolich has brown hair and brown eyes. She has a mole on her left knee and a small indentation on her forehead, slightly left of center. She is 5 feet, 3 inches tall, with a small build, state police said in a release Tuesday.

"It is believed that she may be the victim of foul play," state police wrote.

"Members of the New York State Police in Troop G continue concentrated efforts to solve this missing person case and request the public's assistance," troopers wrote.

Anyone with information on Franolich's disappearance is asked to contact state police in Princetown at 518-630-1700.

State Police still investigating missing mother of 2, missing for 3 decades

MIDDLEBURGH -- New York State Police on Tuesday highlighted the case of a missing mother last seen in Schoharie County in 1986 who may have been the victim of foul play.

Erica Jayne Franolich, then 26, is believed to have been last seen at about 9 p.m. Oct. 13, 1986, in the area of Main Street and Railroad Avenue in Middleburgh, state police said as part of their "Cold Case Tuesday" effort.

She wasn't reported missing until the next February -- Feb. 25, 1987 -- to authorities in Michigan by her family living there, after they could not get in touch with Franolich, state police said.

At the time of her disappearance, Franolich was a mother of two and living with her husband and their young son in Schoharie County, state police said.

Franolich has brown hair and brown eyes. She has a mole on her left knee and a small indentation on her forehead, slightly left of center. She is 5 feet, 3 inches tall, with a small build, state police said in a release Tuesday.

"It is believed that she may be the victim of foul play," state police wrote.

"Members of the New York State Police in Troop G continue concentrated efforts to solve this missing person case and request the public's assistance," troopers wrote.

Anyone with information on Franolich's disappearance is asked to contact state police in Princetown at 518-630-1700.

I'd read this announcement earlier today, so am glad you posted it here.
I've never really heard any kind of scuttle-butt locally, and Erica has never seemed to get the kind of publicity she no doubt deserves. So much time went by before she was declared missing :(

I'd read this announcement earlier today, so am glad you posted it here.
I've never really heard any kind of scuttle-butt locally, and Erica has never seemed to get the kind of publicity she no doubt deserves. So much time went by before she was declared missing :(

They included video new report from back in the day when Erica first went missing. Some interesting information is included it it.

- There was a history of domestic violence and drugs in her relationships with her husband

- The night Erica disappeared, she made a phone call to a family member telling them she was in serious trouble and in fear for her life

- The detective stated he doesn't believe all her family members are being truthful, their original response was that Erica was put on a bus in Schenectady to go back to Michigan, the detective verified that didn't occur. He also said that her family owns dozens of acres of land in the Schoharie Valley which he wants to search but hasn't been able to get warrant.

They included video new report from back in the day when Erica first went missing. Some interesting information is included it it.

- There was a history of domestic violence and drugs in her relationships with her husband

- The night Erica disappeared, she made a phone call to a family member telling them she was in serious trouble and in fear for her life

- The detective stated he doesn't believe all her family members are being truthful, their original response was that Erica was put on a bus in Schenectady to go back to Michigan, the detective verified that didn't occur. He also said that her family owns dozens of acres of land in the Schoharie Valley which he wants to search but hasn't been able to get warrant.
Thanks for this recap. I haven't been able to view the video yet but will shortly ( internet data problem).
Interesting about the acreage in the Scho. Valley.

I'm so excited to see a news blurb for Erica! Interesting video. Let's hope something materializes out of it.

BBM. Great news!

There have been several reports out that the 26-year-old was last seen on October of 1986 at a bar near Main Street and Railroad Ave in Middleburgh. However, some investigators and family know that wasn’t the last place Erica was seen. “She was actually last known to be at their home…the Franolich home,” says Greg Overacker, Private Investigator for Private Investigations for the Missing.

This has never been reported in the news before. There is so little to go on in Erica's case, that I believe it will take a witness or confession from the perpetrator to know what happened to Erica. The occasional news reports lets the perpetrator(s) know that the police and PI haven't forgotten.

Recently, this case has gained local attention. Between blog posts, podcasts and two billboards in Cobleskill, Greg and others are trying to spread the word.
I'm so happy to see this. Erica's case doesn't get a lot of attention; I'm so glad they're reminding the public of her.

Billboard alerts passersby of cold case in Middleburgh

...snipped

The billboards were funded by a page, which raised $3,649 from 50 donors in under a month. Overacker said he hopes that Cobleskill residents will see the billboards when they are driving to the town’s shopping center, and the message will jog memories of the night Erica disappeared.

“We put them up to get some reaction,” said Nada Thompson, Erica’s sister. Some Schoharie County residents know what happened to Erica, but have not come forward, according to her brother, Pete Poprafsky, 65, who lives in Waterford, Michigan. “There’s no way you can not know if you’re living right there,” he said.

In 1986, Erica was living with her husband, Richard Franolich, and two young sons, Chris and Richard Jr., at the time of her disappearance. When the Franolichs moved to Middleburgh, their relationship was rocky, and the only people Erica knew from the region were his family, Poprafsky said.

...snipped

As the years have gone by since Erica’s disappearance, and the case remains unresolved, Poprafsky said he wants to confront the police, ask for their reports from the past 35 years, and try to force them to get statements from more possible witnesses, including Middleburgh residents, and Richard Franolich’s family.

For Thompson, the main priority now is reaching some resolution for her sister. “We want them to find her body so we can bring her back home,” Thompson said.

...more at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48
Back