NY NY - Staten Island, Mariners Marsh Park, Hisp/Male 16-22, UP77862, 2005 calendar, Jan'21

Reporting to ask if date can be added to the thread title.

Your first post is very thorough!

Bones, boots and a wallet with a 2005 calendar: Cops hope M.E. sheds light on park discovery
''The area where the remains were found is undeveloped, heavily wooded and clogged with reeds taller than an adult. A fence surrounds the perimeter and a sign indicates that the property is closed to the public during an environmental investigation.''
7MDBLEMPXZAPTAHCSJOIBO6J3A.jpg

VZPGMTPGNFFLZOZP3XHL3FLHIY.jpg

''Officers found skeletal remains in Mariners Marsh Park on Sunday, Jan. 17, 2021. The police investigation continued on Tuesday when a section of the park along Richmond Terrace near Western Avenue remained roped off with caution tape. (Staten Island Advance/Maura Grunlund) Staten Island Advance/Maura Grun''

Based on the second photo from the news article, this seems to be the spot where the body was found:

Google Maps

It doesn't look like the homicide would have happened in this spot. There's no parking in the immediate area and the road is narrow/blocked by fences on both sides. If someone came from direction of Western Ave this is the first spot after the end of the guardrail, providing an easy place to dump him out of the car. This area is very secluded. I noticed that this spot is right at the gates to Mariner's Marsh Park (as it shows up on google maps), but they were locked.

IF the body was dumped there 15 or so years ago, it's surprising it has only been discovered recently, considering how close it is to the road.

Last edited:
At first I was going to say that this was very convenient for anyone driving across the bridge from NJ, but there is no highway exit at Western Ave. So now I'm not so sure. This "park" would be known to locals as an old contaminated dumping spot. So now I am back to thinking 'local' crime. (i.e. Staten Island)

Based on the second photo from the news article, this seems to be the spot where the body was found:

Google Maps

It doesn't look like the homicide would have happened in this spot. There's no parking in the immediate area and the road is narrow/blocked by fences on both sides. If someone came from direction of Western Ave this is the first spot after the end of the guardrail, providing an easy place to dump him out of the car. This area is very secluded. I noticed that this spot is right at the gates to Mariner's Marsh Park (as it shows up on google maps), but they were locked.

IF the body was dumped there 15 or so years ago, it's surprising it has only been discovered recently, considering how close it is to the road.

I would think mowing crews would have found the body if it had indeed been there for years. According to the google map the image capture is from September 2019. I'm not sure how accurate that is but it doesn't look like a rolled up carpet was there at that time (zoomed in to the area)

The perpetrator must've been fairly strong, to hoist the body over that fence. Or maybe there were several of them. Oh wait, it does show the fence wasn't there some years in some of the google views.

The perpetrator must've been fairly strong, to hoist the body over that fence. Or maybe there were several of them. Oh wait, it does show the fence wasn't there some years in some of the google views.

Good observation!
Back in 2012 neither the fence nor the guardrail were there.

I'm still not clear where the body was specifically found, but based on the news image showing the tape at the scene, it looked like it was found to right of the gate. But this news article says the hiker was walking 'in the park'. I have noticed that both sides of Richmond Terrace are "parks" and are often referred to together. In reality they are both old contaminated vacant industrial areas that are now brownfields. Lots of dumping of old cars, etc, has gone on there over the years

A Staten Island hiker found a human skull and other bones while walking in Mariners Marsh Park, police sources said.

The hiker spotted the grisly remains Sunday morning near a fence near Richmond Terrace, according to sources.
Hiker finds human skull and bones in Staten Island park

Has there been any mention of signs of foul play? i.e. bullet wound to skull, or knife marks on bones?

Of course the rolled up carpet could also be an indicator of a suspicious death if the bones were found partially wrapped in the carpet or under the carpet. But that could still be an accidental death (like an overdose) where someone got nervous and disposed of the body.

Has there been any mention of signs of foul play? i.e. bullet wound to skull, or knife marks on bones?

Of course the rolled up carpet could also be an indicator of a suspicious death if the bones were found partially wrapped in the carpet or under the carpet. But that could still be an accidental death (like an overdose) where someone got nervous and disposed of the body.

Up thread, someone said the cause of death was blunt force trauma to head & torso.

Carpet made me wonder if the deceased was homeless, living in the park at the time?

jmho ymmv lrr

Up thread, someone said the cause of death was blunt force trauma to head & torso.

Carpet made me wonder if the deceased was homeless, living in the park at the time?

jmho ymmv lrr

Thanks! Sorry I missed that.
so it was blunt force trauma from a 'sharp object'.

Regarding possibility of being homeless, others have commented on what good quality the clothes he had were. Of course that doesn't mean that he hadn't recently become homeless or received some good donations, but I'd lean to clean cut healthy young man.

Last edited:
I do wonder if Oved Duartes has been considered and excluded or not, re. the WS poster sending in the info. Perhaps we should write in again? I don't feel comfortable doing so as I'm Canadian. Also, I see that he had called his family a few days after going missing to say he wasn't coming back. I don't see any further news items or family members social media or as others have mentioned, even a photo to go by. Frustrating for sure. Is DNA a possibility from the John Doe I wonder?

I do wonder if Oved Duartes has been considered and excluded or not, re. the WS poster sending in the info. Perhaps we should write in again? I don't feel comfortable doing so as I'm Canadian. Also, I see that he had called his family a few days after going missing to say he wasn't coming back. I don't see any further news items or family members social media or as others have mentioned, even a photo to go by. Frustrating for sure. Is DNA a possibility from the John Doe I wonder?

If they can rule Duartes out on dentals or something, it could be quick, but if he's a match, it could take months or even years to track down relatives, gather and process the DNA, and confirm the match. And then if there's a murder investigation, they might not announce it until later anyway.

Ronny Sosa Pineda who someone on FB suggested as a possible, was wearing Timberland boots when he disappeared in Jan. 2006 in Michigan, and a brown leather coat. His profile is on Namus.

Does anyone know how to go about sending Ronny Pineda's name for consideration to LE? I've never done so, and live in Canada so I'm not sure how.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmalan
Back