GUILTY AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

Man Who Beat His Wife To Death In Front Of Family On Alaska Cruise Gets 30 Years | Oxygen Official Site

kristy-manzanares-f.jpg

The husband’s attorneys claim in a court filing that Manzanares had brain abnormalities from playing contact sports, as well as undiagnosed bipolar disorder and “a problematic combination of prescribed medication and alcohol resulted in an aberrant episode of violence,” according to the report.

They requested a seven-and-a-half year term while prosecutors, who depicted Manzanares as a violent bully, asked for life.

During this week’s sentencing hearing, the slain woman’s father Jeff Hunt told Burgess that he hopes Manzanares “gets what he deserves,” the Associated Press reports.

He said he considered life behind bars for his son-in-law to be justice for the killing.

Man who killed his wife on Alaska cruise after she allegedly asked for a divorce gets 30 years in prison

A statement released by Kristy Manzanares' family said the ruling "brings us neither joy nor anger. Rather, simply a sense of resolution. We believe that the court made a fair and just determination. However, the legal system does not and is not intended to fill the emotional void of our loss."

"While this marks the end of another chapter of this unimaginable ordeal, the fact is that Kristy's three girls are still without both of their parents, and our focus now is to support them as best we can," the statement says.

First published on June 4, 2021 / 6:37 AM

I know I'll be in the minority here, but IMOO, 30 years is too much. I do think the combination of prescribed drugs played a key role. I wonder what the now adult children each asked for in terms of time?

I know I'll be in the minority here, but IMOO, 30 years is too much. I do think the combination of prescribed drugs played a key role. I wonder what the now adult children each asked for in terms of time?
I disagree. Millions of people take prescribed drugs and do not beat their wives to death with their fists. He knew what he was doing when he ordered his daughters out of the room, IMO.

The Law & Crime article links the defendant's "Sentencing Memorandum" by his defense -- asking the court to impose a sentence of 90 months, and that he be placed on supervised release for a period of five years.

Manzanares’ guilty plea came with a deal reducing the charge from first-degree murder to second-degree murder, which carries less stringent sentencing requirements. The punishment for second-degree murder is imprisonment for any term of years up to life.

The husband was charged with first-degree murder and pled not guilty. In a plea deal, he agreed to plead guilty to 2nd-degree murder.

The defense (probably with the support of the children) submitted their recommendation for the court to impose a sentence of 90 months, and that he be placed on supervised release for 5 years.

The Government PSR recommended 360 months and 5 years supervised release-- which was ultimately the sentence imposed by the Judge.

There was another case (United States v Roston) cited in the Government sentencing report where a husband and his wife were also on a honeymoon cruise when the husband choked his wife unconscious -- throwing her body overboard. He was sentenced to 405 months for 2nd-degree murder.

In the case above, the trial court also denied involuntary manslaughter instructions because there was insufficient evidence that the offense was committed while under emotional distress.

By all accounts, it appears the violent outburst by the husband was not Rx induced or the result of a medical event. It started with a conversation about the husband's behavior during the evening activities, and where his wife suggested he get off the ship at the next stop and return home to Utah -- telling him she wanted a divorce.

IMO, the Court conceded with both the 2nd-degree murder charge and the lesser punishment or 30 years.

The husband was charged with first-degree murder and pled not guilty. In a plea deal, he agreed to plead guilty to 2nd-degree murder.

The defense (probably with the support of the children) submitted their recommendation for the court to impose a sentence of 90 months, and that he be placed on supervised release for 5 years.

The Government PSR recommended 360 months and 5 years supervised release-- which was ultimately the sentence imposed by the Judge.

There was another case (United States v Roston) cited in the Government sentencing report where a husband and his wife were also on a honeymoon cruise when the husband choked his wife unconscious -- throwing her body overboard. He was sentenced to 405 months for 2nd-degree murder.

In the case above, the trial court also denied involuntary manslaughter instructions because there was insufficient evidence that the offense was committed while under emotional distress.

By all accounts, it appears the violent outburst by the husband was not Rx induced or the result of a medical event. It started with a conversation about the husband's behavior during the evening activities, and where his wife suggested he get off the ship at the next stop and return home to Utah -- telling him she wanted a divorce.

IMO, the Court conceded with both the 2nd-degree murder charge and the lesser punishment or 30 years.

Where did the laughing come in to play? I should say, alleged laughing. I find it hard to believe that one night of behavior would cause the "I want a divorce comment" for the first time. Given that if she said that, I seriously doubt that on a cruise was the first time they'd had that conversation, something else seemed to have made him snap.

Adderall alone can be an adjustment for someone, child or adult, and then adding to that the prescription testosterone and the third script. It's just my opinion, that if he'd never before shown violent rage, that the meds likely played a role here.

The defense's sentencing request doesn't excuse what he did. It does, however, take into account other factors. In my opinion, he deserved more along the lines of that sentence. AMOO and based only on my knowledge of the case, which is far from complete.

Where did the laughing come in to play? I should say, alleged laughing. I find it hard to believe that one night of behavior would cause the "I want a divorce comment" for the first time. Given that if she said that, I seriously doubt that on a cruise was the first time they'd had that conversation, something else seemed to have made him snap.

Adderall alone can be an adjustment for someone, child or adult, and then adding to that the prescription testosterone and the third script. It's just my opinion, that if he'd never before shown violent rage, that the meds likely played a role here.

The defense's sentencing request doesn't excuse what he did. It does, however, take into account other factors. In my opinion, he deserved more along the lines of that sentence. AMOO and based only on my knowledge of the case, which is far from complete.
'Prosecutors said Kenneth Manzanares had issues with anger and that he had acknowledged restraining his wife in the past and punching holes in walls. Defense attorneys said the couple had a "long and happy marriage," and Jamie McGrady, a federal public defender representing Manzanares, accused prosecutors of selectively parsing details from statements Manzanares made to try to paint him as someone who was abusive.'
Man who killed his wife on Alaska cruise after she allegedly asked for a divorce gets 30 years in prison
'Manzanares played football, wrestled and boxed when he was younger and had a history of “testosterone supplementation,” the filing stated.'
Utah man faces sentencing in beating death of wife on cruise
That sounds like he took the testosterone historically, not recently and IMO to give him strength and aggression for his boxing and other sports.

Last edited:

I disagree -- the defendant had been taking Adderall for seven months prior to the incident and injecting testosterone since high school! He clearly abused testosterone -- doubling the prescribed dosage. Apparently, he liked feeling like the bull on the wrestling team.

I think we've all experienced an extended family event where one individual is determined to poison the soup and it's annoying. I think Kristy called him on his behavior and said shape up or go home.

I believe Kristy laughing at him is what he told authorities after he was arrested and instead of punching the wall, he repeatedly punched his wife in the head and face -- killing her in less than 13 minutes with his bare hands.

Kristy's family-- that was on the cruise and tried to rescue and/or save her, asked the Court to sentenced Ken to life. He's lucky he can look forward to a release date -- albeit 30 years from now.

Much of the reports are sealed but the sentencing recommendation 35+ pg report with many of the facts is available.

https://www.scribd.com/document/507121441/Manzanares-Sentencing-Memo#fullscreen&from_embed

I disagree -- the defendant had been taking Adderall for seven months prior to the incident and injecting testosterone since high school! He clearly abused testosterone -- doubling the prescribed dosage. Apparently, he liked feeling like the bull on the wrestling team.

I think we've all experienced an extended family event where one individual is determined to poison the soup and it's annoying. I think Kristy called him on his behavior and said shape up or go home.

I believe Kristy laughing at him is what he told authorities after he was arrested and instead of punching the wall, he repeatedly punched his wife in the head and face -- killing her in less than 13 minutes with his bare hands.

Kristy's family-- that was on the cruise and tried to rescue and/or save her, asked the Court to sentenced Ken to life. He's lucky he can look forward to a release date -- albeit 30 years from now.

Much of the reports are sealed but the sentencing recommendation 35+ pg report with many of the facts is available.

https://www.scribd.com/document/507121441/Manzanares-Sentencing-Memo#fullscreen&from_embed

Thank you for the information.

I disagree. Millions of people take prescribed drugs and do not beat their wives to death with their fists. He knew what he was doing when he ordered his daughters out of the room, IMO.

As I said, I know my opinion is in the minority. I respect your right to your opinion. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back