Found Safe NC - Joshua Clauson, 20, Croatan National Forest, 29 May 2021

The forest conditions are pretty familiar to me, having lived in both Virginia and North Carolina for years. Biggest fears for me would be venomous snakes and ticks. Having said that, IMHO people don't just "go for a walk" in tangled marshy woods like that unless there are trails to follow or unless they are searching for something.
The mosquitoes!

The only reason to leave your cell phone at home while walking in the woods is so you can not be tracked. IMO.
I can't disagree more. I live on a 40 acre wooded track in a very rural area in Arkansas. Cell reception is ok as long as you're not in a hollar. I hike/work this whole section and seem to leave my phone at my cabin over half the time. Idk, I guess I'm just an analog girl in a digital world, but unless I make a mental note to bring it I just don't think about it. However, BOTH of them not having one seems like they shouldn't have been left unsupervised. MOO...

Last edited:
Saw some people asking about cell reception. Around the edges, it's fine. But as you go deeper in and away from the coast it gets dicey. But if you were on foot it'd be hard to walk deep enough to lose cell reception on a casual stroll. It seems very odd to me to not bring a phone. It's not like a known dead spot or anything, especially not in the areas close to the roads where trails have been cut. And it would be very hard to go for a casual stroll in areas where trails haven't been cut.

We are having absolutely torrential rain today, so lots of low-lying parts of the forest are going to be underwater. I'm not surprised they called off the search.

I agree with the hinky-ness of this mess. There is one thing my husband mentioned that I hadn't thought of. When I went over the scenario with him to see if he had any thoughts about it, after I started out with "Well, see two guys took a walk in the woods on a Saturday morning at 10am" first thing out of his mouth was "Did one of them get a new gun?".

He says if so they probably went into the woods to shoot it. And depending on their skill there might have been an accident. And if the person who came out was not allowed to own a gun (like with a felony background) there's no way he would admit to having and shooting one.

Hmm, just something else to add to the maybe list.

Investigation continues, search ends for missing Carteret County man; father unhappy about what happened and why | WNCT

The search for Joshua Clauson, the man who went missing in the Croatan National Forest last Saturday has been suspended, officials with the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday night.

The search, which stretched into its sixth day, was suspended just after 6 p.m. Thursday.

Sheriff Asa Buck asks the general public not to search as they could get themselves lost.

While the search has been suspended, this missing person case remains active and anyone with information is asked to notify the Carteret County Sheriff’s Office at (252) 728-8400 or Carteret County Communications at (252) 726-1911.

I agree with the hinky-ness of this mess. There is one thing my husband mentioned that I hadn't thought of. When I went over the scenario with him to see if he had any thoughts about it, after I started out with "Well, see two guys took a walk in the woods on a Saturday morning at 10am" first thing out of his mouth was "Did one of them get a new gun?".

He says if so they probably went into the woods to shoot it. And depending on their skill there might have been an accident. And if the person who came out was not allowed to own a gun (like with a felony background) there's no way he would admit to having and shooting one.

Hmm, just something else to add to the maybe list.
Great thinking! Way to go Hubby! (Sorry, I sound way too cheerful)

Family of missing man hoping for the best as search continues, saying “If you’re in trouble, find help.”
So has anyone seen this? "If you're in trouble find help, if not I don't understand" RC (Joshua's Dad) what's that all about? Yeah, there's WAY more to this story... MOO
I can’t guess what that means. If he’s lost in a massive wooded area, where exactly would he “find help”? Is the family thinking he isn’t lost in the woods, that he got out and is purposely staying away? What other issues might Joshua be dealing with?
SAR thinks they found both men’s footprints, so it seems he was with the BIL, unless the other tracks were never Joshua’s at all, which seems unlikely. I just wish we knew if LE is getting their information from anyone other than the BIL? I want to know if anyone else saw them go into the woods.
MOO and speculation only.

Family of missing man hoping for the best as search continues, saying “If you’re in trouble, find help.”
So has anyone seen this? "If you're in trouble find help, if not I don't understand" RC (Joshua's Dad) what's that all about? Yeah, there's WAY more to this story... MOO
Does the article imply that JC and his BIL live together in a trailer? MOO
Then, police said they went back to their mobile home where they discovered Clauson did not make it out of the woods and called 911.
“He made his way back home, Josh was not there,” said Carteret County Sheriff Asa Buck. “He didn’t know Josh hadn’t already made it home.”

Does the article imply that JC and his BIL live together in a trailer? MOO
Then, police said they went back to their mobile home where they discovered Clauson did not make it out of the woods and called 911.
“He made his way back home, Josh was not there,” said Carteret County Sheriff Asa Buck. “He didn’t know Josh hadn’t already made it home.”
I believe the BIL assumed Josh would have made it home before him. I'm no detective, and we don't know, well anything really, but I think the BIL may or may not have "ran some errands" after he just happened to get picked up by his friend and "walked out of the woods" long before he showed up back at the mobile home. Now bare with me. So everything I've read leads me to believe these guys live very near and know their way around those woods. And yes I'm sure it's thick but look this kid isn't some city boy that hikes maintained trails with his buddies twice a year. IF he did get lost he would have been able to get home/to a road/something- if he wanted to and the sun was shining- at the very latest the next day.( And if he couldn't I would think this kind of thing has happened before...) So with the info we have I think he and the BIL had some sort of a confrontation while in the woods and that's why they split up. From there did he get hurt? Did someone hurt him? Or maybe he did get out and he's doing his own thing. But I don't believe for a minute that he's "lost". MOO

IMO, this could mean Joshua’s father believes the circumstances around him missing may involve him being in trouble somehow (past history, risky behavior, mental health, illegal woes, so forth..) or
it could just be a father pleading for his son to be found by just trying to grasp at any reason or answer for him being lost in the woods.
I feel like we see this so often in missing persons cases- a family member (esp. a parent) trying to make sense of a tragic situation, just wanting their loved one to be found.
Again, IMHO.

IMO, this could mean Joshua’s father believes the circumstances around him missing may involve him being in trouble somehow (past history, risky behavior, mental health, illegal woes, so forth..) or
it could just be a father pleading for his son to be found by just trying to grasp at any reason or answer for him being lost in the woods.
I feel like we see this so often in missing persons cases- a family member (esp. a parent) trying to make sense of a tragic situation, just wanting their loved one to be found.
Again, IMHO.
So well said. I have a bad habit of latching onto every word spoken in these cases. We often have so little, and I’m one of those people who can’t help but immediately go to the position something nefarious has happened.
I honestly don’t know what to think, but if one person made it out without Herculean effort, shouldn’t the other? Especially since these woods were familiar to both.
As always, MOO

NC sheriff calls off 'bizarre' search for man missing in Croatan National Forest
Saturday, June 5, 2021 8:41PM
CROATAN NATIONAL FOREST, N.C. -- North Carolina authorities have called off a week-long search for a man who went missing while on a walk in the Croatan National Forest.

The Carteret County Sheriff Asa Buck calling it a "bizarre case." He said it's not uncommon for people to go missing in the woods, but in his 15 years in office, he has never seen a search last as long as the search of 20-year-old Joshua Clauson.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back