OH OH - Carnell Sledge, 40, & Katherine Brown, 33, shot dead in park, Cleveland, 4 Jun 2019

@Betty P, your comment totally sums up my thoughts, "If the letter is accurate, there may have been a verbal altercation prior to the shooting that surely would have attracted the attention of others. People would have observed shouting, gunshots and the killer running away to their car. I can't imagine being an innocent bystander to a tragic double murder and not wanting to make the effort to come forward to report what I saw."

Of course, this all hinges on the validity of the letter. I do think an "altercation" seems very plausible, regardless of the letter, due to the close-range nature of the attack. I'm inclined to think either the perp new one (or both) Kate and Nell, or the altercation lead to rage in a stranger who was already unstable. But...again, to your point, Betty, no one (outside of the author or this letter) has come forward to say they heard any sort of verbal altercation or gun shots. Does that mean an altercation didn't happen? I don't know!

Question for anyone: Am I off to think, in a park setting like this one, with the river right there, the gunshots would have echoed or have been obviously audible? I'm not an expert - I know very little about guns, ballistics, etc. But it seems like it would have been very loud, even with cars driving down the road.

@Betty P, your comment totally sums up my thoughts, "If the letter is accurate, there may have been a verbal altercation prior to the shooting that surely would have attracted the attention of others. People would have observed shouting, gunshots and the killer running away to their car. I can't imagine being an innocent bystander to a tragic double murder and not wanting to make the effort to come forward to report what I saw."

Of course, this all hinges on the validity of the letter. I do think an "altercation" seems very plausible, regardless of the letter, due to the close-range nature of the attack. I'm inclined to think either the perp new one (or both) Kate and Nell, or the altercation lead to rage in a stranger who was already unstable. But...again, to your point, Betty, no one (outside of the author or this letter) has come forward to say they heard any sort of verbal altercation or gun shots. Does that mean an altercation didn't happen? I don't know!

Question for anyone: Am I off to think, in a park setting like this one, with the river right there, the gunshots would have echoed or have been obviously audible? I'm not an expert - I know very little about guns, ballistics, etc. But it seems like it would have been very loud, even with cars driving down the road.

Thanks.

I think the odds of some kind of shouting, etc. are very likely.

One victim was sitting on the bench, the other appeared to have jumped up to run away. That's enough time for someone to have shouted or screamed, possibly called out a name. This also now seems personal, which increases the likelihood at least one of the victims knew the killer and exchanged words with them. It may also narrow the pool of suspects.

ETA: Also, gunshots could have echoed, considering there are rock bluffs in the area of the riverbank. That said, it would depend on the caliber of the weapon.

Betty, appreciate your thoughts on gun caliber and sounds! I was with Kate's sister yesterday and had talked about how nobody seemed to have heard anything, and she also stated that a smaller caliber gun could have gone off relatively undetected.

A few of us are now brainstorming different ways to bring attention to the case. Obviously the metroparks won't allow for signs, but there are other options! And if anyone has any clever ideas, ways to keep the case top of mind, please share!

Betty, appreciate your thoughts on gun caliber and sounds! I was with Kate's sister yesterday and had talked about how nobody seemed to have heard anything, and she also stated that a smaller caliber gun could have gone off relatively undetected.

A few of us are now brainstorming different ways to bring attention to the case. Obviously the metroparks won't allow for signs, but there are other options! And if anyone has any clever ideas, ways to keep the case top of mind, please share!

I haven't driven by that part of the park in a while, but thought there were high bluffs on the Rocky River side of the river there. That should have caused some echo, I would think. I really do hope someone comes forward with more information. The new information you've provided here has been very enlightening.

I haven't driven by that part of the park in a while, but thought there were high bluffs on the Rocky River side of the river there. That should have caused some echo, I would think. I really do hope someone comes forward with more information. The new information you've provided here has been very enlightening.

Thanks, Betty!

And I should say, if anyone has questions they'd like to ask me, please do!

I think I could also comment on the part of Kate's additions struggles in relation to the case: her biggest vice was alcohol. She did smoke weed sometimes, but it was primarily a drinking problem. Not to say that weed dealings haven't resulted in violent crimes, but IMO, it's unlikely that it was a drug-related altercation. I mean, anything is possible, but IMO, unlikely.

I think there will be another news story on Fox 8 Cleveland, focusing on the letter. Once it's available, I'll post.

Thanks, Betty!

And I should say, if anyone has questions they'd like to ask me, please do!

I think I could also comment on the part of Kate's additions struggles in relation to the case: her biggest vice was alcohol. She did smoke weed sometimes, but it was primarily a drinking problem. Not to say that weed dealings haven't resulted in violent crimes, but IMO, it's unlikely that it was a drug-related altercation. I mean, anything is possible, but IMO, unlikely.

I think there will be another news story on Fox 8 Cleveland, focusing on the letter. Once it's available, I'll post.

Thanks for that very helpful information! I'll be watching for the show.

Here is the news story from yesterday - not a lot of new information, but it's still media coverage, so that's a win.
Rocky River Reservation murders: New clue revealed

There are two local men working on reconstructive animations using some of the details in the letter and what is known of the incident. Interestingly, as the man in the video states, a lot of the crime scene evidence matches what the letter states. If nothing else, hopefully the news coverage brings in more tips.

Here is the news story from yesterday - not a lot of new information, but it's still media coverage, so that's a win.
Rocky River Reservation murders: New clue revealed

There are two local men working on reconstructive animations using some of the details in the letter and what is known of the incident. Interestingly, as the man in the video states, a lot of the crime scene evidence matches what the letter states. If nothing else, hopefully the news coverage brings in more tips.

Has the actual letter been published anywhere?

Has the actual letter been published anywhere?

No, not that I'm aware. The family has copies, though. I don't believe there's a whole lot more in the letters than outside what was flashed on the news broadcasts? I never even thought to ask! Although, there may be a reason it's not been published in its entirety. If there's more that I can share, I certainly will.

There was another story on Weds (linked below) on Fox 8 where the FBI is asking for the individual who wrote the letter to come forward.
Murders in Cleveland Metroparks Rocky River Reservation

What I find REALLY frustrating - the FBI has been sitting on this letter for over a year. And it seems they only came to the public to ask for more info once it was exposed they had it. Perhaps there is good reason, but it just seems like these homicides have become afterthoughts. I'm biased, though.

What I find REALLY frustrating - the FBI has been sitting on this letter for over a year. And it seems they only came to the public to ask for more info once it was exposed they had it. Perhaps there is good reason, but it just seems like these homicides have become afterthoughts. I'm biased, though.

Oh, that's very disappointing. Shame on the FBI if that's the case.

Without knowing any more about the investigations that have occurred around the letter, my initial thoughts when reading it was it was written by someone identifying as a psychic or similar, like someone recalling a 'vision' or dream. What really jumps out at me is the 'I hit a snag'. IMO

Without knowing any more about the investigations that have occurred around the letter, my initial thoughts when reading it was it was written by someone identifying as a psychic or similar, like someone recalling a 'vision' or dream. What really jumps out at me is the 'I hit a snag'. IMO

The "I hit snag" was really bizarre in conjunction to the rest of the letter and stood out to me as well. It reads like two different people wrote it, in a way. And I still find references to "The Reba Show" and "Drew Carey" odd. So specific, and at the time of "The Reba Show," wasn't she more known as a country singer vs TV star? Why not references the country music artist instead of the show? It probably means, nothing, but it sticks out to me.

There are request for the author to come forward - hopefully they do!

Quick update - the FBI was able to locate the author of the letter. Unfortunately, the person was NOT a witness, but rather someone who was having repeated visions, and felt the need to share. I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to have visions that might actually be significant, but this person was not a live witness.

Investigators push for new clues in Metroparks murders: I-TEAM

The good news is the mayor of Fairview is allowing the family to put up signs! They'll go at the entrances to the park, and because it's on Fairview property (vs Metropark), the park can't remove them! :)

There's also a memorial this Friday, the two year anniversary of the shooting, from 4:30pm - 7:00pm at the location of the murders. Carnations will be provided to place at the bench to memorialize Kate and Nell. (This even is not organized by the families but friends of the family.)

Quick update - the FBI was able to locate the author of the letter. Unfortunately, the person was NOT a witness, but rather someone who was having repeated visions, and felt the need to share. I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to have visions that might actually be significant, but this person was not a live witness.

Investigators push for new clues in Metroparks murders: I-TEAM

The good news is the mayor of Fairview is allowing the family to put up signs! They'll go at the entrances to the park, and because it's on Fairview property (vs Metropark), the park can't remove them! :)

There's also a memorial this Friday, the two year anniversary of the shooting, from 4:30pm - 7:00pm at the location of the murders. Carnations will be provided to place at the bench to memorialize Kate and Nell. (This even is not organized by the families but friends of the family.)
I was just reading through the thread and about to comment that I think the letter writer is someone who fancies themselves a psychic. How unfortunate that the letter wasn't a viable lead!

@AFoxInSocks We were in Cleveland for a funeral this morning and stopped at the park on our way back to Columbus. The flowers and balloon were a bittersweet sight. A beautiful remembrance of two beautiful people. I didn’t see any of the signs, but now I see your comment about Fairview vs Metropark. I spent the 2 hour drive stewing about Metroparks taking them down again, oops. I’m glad to know the signs will stay up this time. I don’t even know what entrance we went in, I’d never been and we ended up at the far south end of the park before I remembered to find the Lorain Rd bridge. Being there, seeing the cars passing by, all the people out, I just can’t imagine no one saw or heard anything!

Attachments

• A2BECC67-7E20-4760-BACA-8D0E34CCB346.jpeg
    A2BECC67-7E20-4760-BACA-8D0E34CCB346.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 9
@mgeni How sweet of you to stop by! And yes, it's baffling when you're there to see how close to the road the bench is, how open the area is, and yet no one saw or heard a thing.

My husband and I stopped by the memorial on Friday. I was really happy to see multiple news stations there to cover it. Most of what's been in the media as of late has come from Fox 8, but channels 5 and 3 were also there.

I just continue to hope the renewed interest leads to justice.

It's really so sad they took everything down, and so quickly. I'm not sure what they did with memorial? The Browns didn't even know the Metroparks removed the signs until a local TV station contacted them. It's just a shame - the more the case stays top of mind, the more people will talk!

Given the time of day and location, it's hard to believe someone didn't see something (even if they don't realize it). From the time they arrived to the time they were found is such a small window, approx 15 minutes. There is a small, gravel parking area near the crime scene. A car was parked there at the time and a man was inside working on his computer. He's said to have seen/heard nothing. The kayakers who found them, approximately 3 mins after they were shot, also claimed not to have a heard or seen anything. They were also attacked at a relatively close-range, so the perpetrator(s), would have had to have been able to get to the bench by foot. A long-range type of attack doesn't seem plausible given the evidence, JMO.

I'm hopeful the case gets solved, sooner than later. But right now, there's just not much to go on.

It's possible that something was used to suppress the sound of gunfire. (Water bottle...) The man who was on his computer, how far away was he? TIA

Neither of the victims seem like people who would have enemies in their lives staking them out, trying to kill them. jmo
There was no robbery, no car stolen, as far as I know, just an execution of two peaceful people sitting in a park.

Did either victim stop at a gas station on the way to the park or fast food? I'm trying to think of places where sometimes hot heads get angry over the slightest inconvenience; for example, waiting in line or thinking someone cut in line. I have an acquaintance who acts like this anytime he leaves his home. (Fortunately, he's not a gun owner.) But this almost sounds like maybe unbeknownst to either victim that someone could have gotten a bad case of rage and taken it out on them. :(:(:( They neither one seem to have any enemies and are both lovely people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back