Identified! FL - Suwannee Co, 'Suwannee River John Doe', UnkMale, 20-29, Sep'83 - Reginald Ward

JasonFutchLakeCityFL

Former Member
Reaction score
On September 18th, 1983, canoeists on the Suwannee River had spied a decomposed body floating on the surface of the river not far from where they were. They spotted a fisherman and asked him to run and get help. The fisherman hiked up an embankment and flagged a trucker down and informed him of the find. The trucker reported the information to Agriculture Officers with the Florida Dept. of Agriculture at their inspection station on I-10.

Sheriffs deputies Tommy Abercrombie and Sam St. John recovered the body and the body was sent to the Medical Examiner's Office in Jacksonville, Florida. Additionally, they recovered weapon, a .22 caliber rifle in the river and submitted it as evidence. The rifle was determined to be the weapon used to kill this man, as nine .22 caliber rounds were found in the man. His legs and one arm had been bound by rope, and a bag of sand was tied around his neck as a weight to sink him into the bottom of the river.

The rifle was later traced to a burglary that occurred some time before this discovery, the rifle being an item that was stolen in the robbery. FDLE was asked to assist in this investigation.

Past this, there are few details about this case. The contacting agency is the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office. Their phone number is 386-362-2222. Case number is 83-591.Suwannee River Doe 1.jpeg Suwannee River Doe 2.jpeg

"FUN: FACT TO THIS CASE: I knew Tommy Abercrombie from when he was working at the Suwannee Middle School as a dean. He died several years ago from an injury at his home in Live Oak.

Sam St. John was elected Sheriff of Columbia County in 2016. He's still at it!

I have been told that there was an identification made in 2010 by FDLE from an inside source. The SCSO did not get the news until 2012 and did a notification to the man’s father. Right now investigators are attempting to make sure everything was done correctly since I brought this up, but sounds like he’s been identified. I’m certain more is to come soon!

"FUN: FACT TO THIS CASE: I knew Tommy Abercrombie from when he was working at the Suwannee Middle School as a dean. He died several years ago from an injury at his home in Live Oak.

Sam St. John was elected Sheriff of Columbia County in 2016. He's still at it!
I have to make a correction to this. Sheriff St. John is sheriff of Suwannee County.

1983 SUWANNEE COUNTY COLD CASE SOLVED;
VICTIM AND SUSPECT IDENTIFIED

Live Oak, Florida- On Tuesday, February 15th, 2022, the Suwannee Valley Unsolved (SVU) team was able to confirm that a Suwannee County cold case from September 1983 has been resolved. Based on discussions with Investigator Sgt. Wayne Kelly of the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office (SCSO) and a recent
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, investigators were able to conclude that a John Doe found in the Suwannee River is that of 19-year-old Reginald Leonard Ward (B/M), a resident of Quincy, Florida at the time of his death. His remains were identified in 2012, but not made public until the closure of this case in January 2022.

The suspect identified in this case was William Clyde Sapp, Jr. (W/M), a resident of Dowling Park, Florida at the time of the events. He was identified as the suspect based on several witness accounts, as well as statements from a close member of the family who was able to detail the events. William Clyde Sapp, Jr. died in Hamilton County in 1996.

The following is a detailed account of the events leading to the identification of Mr. Ward.

DISCOVERY
On September 18th, 1983, canoeists on the Suwannee River near the I-10 bridge discovered human remains partially floating to the surface of the river; about 20-25 feet from the water’s edge. The canoeists were able to stop a vehicle on I-10 and alerted them to the remains. The vehicle drove to the Florida Agricultural Road Inspection station and alerted Inspector Wesley Silas, who officially reported the incident.

The body was removed from the river by a team from the Florida Fish and Wildlife with assistance from the Suwannee County Sheriff’s Office. The hands and feet
were bound with a rope while two sandbags were wrapped around his neck to weigh the body down. At the time of his discovery, the unidentified male was listed as a white male, 6’2” and weighed approximately 132 lbs. He was wearing a
pair of denim jeans. Later, it would be revealed the John Doe was a black male. The misidentification of the John Doe’s race was likely due to the severe
decomposition of the body. It was estimated that the body had likely been in the river for roughly three weeks and had been experiencing skin slippage.

The following day after the discovery, a dive team from the Suwannee and Lafayette County Sheriff’s Office searched the river for clues. Personal effects
were found in the river, including clothing, and camping materials. Among the effects was a .22 caliber Winchester semi-automatic rifle that was identified as a stolen weapon. Another item, a hunting knife, was also located and had been previously reported stolen.

The weapons were traced back to a home in Dowling Park, where a report weeks earlier indicated the home had been burglarized. One of the residents interviewed
by deputies indicated his surprise considering there had been attack dogs on the property. In the original report, a witness had identified a black male and two white males that were “rough looking” wandering around near the property. They were seeking assistance with their car that had broken down on the side of I-10. The car owner was identified; however, the owner could not be located and was never considered a suspect in this case.

Meanwhile, during the autopsy on the unidentified individual, a total of 9 bullet wounds were located on the body. Each wound was consistent with that of a .22 caliber bullet. It was concluded by the medical examiner that the John Doe had been shot to death with the rifle found in the river and was bound and thrown in the river afterwards.

The original report never indicated a potential suspect, and the case became inactive shortly after. The remains were interred in a pauper’s grave at Eastside
Cemetery in Live Oak, FL. Thomas Funeral Home handled the arrangements.

FDLE INVESTIGATION AND IDENTIFICATION
In 2010, FDLE agent Robert Shotwell received a tip from William Clyde Sapp Jr.’s son William Clayton Sapp that he had knowledge of a homicide that occurred in 1983 near the Suwannee River. At the time, Sapp was serving time at a federal prison in Jesup, Georgia and had implicated his father in the homicide. Agent Shotwell requested the case file regarding the unidentified individual and did several interviews with witnesses who may have had knowledge of the events.

During the investigation, Agent Shotwell had learned from several individuals that they heard Sapp, Jr. had killed someone in the early 1980’s with a .22 rifle and
threw the body in the river.

A partial print from the unidentified decedent was provided to the FBI for fingerprint analysis. In June 2012, the fingerprint analysis came back, identifying
the individual as Reginald Ward. Ward had run away from the Dozier School for Boy’s shortly before he disappeared and had been last seen by family members in Quincy. Family members believed that Reginald may have gone to Ohio to live with his girlfriend at the time.

When interviewed by FDLE agents, the girlfriend stated that she had last seen Ward in 1982 after dropping him off at his grandmother’s home in Quincy.

At the conclusion of the FDLE investigation, Sapp changed his story while speaking with investigators from the FDLE and Columbia County Sheriff's Office,
where he was residing while on federal parole. He had indicated that the individual he was referring to was thrown from a bridge in Dowling Park, and did not
resemble Reginald Ward, despite the story sounding close to what reports indicated in 1983. The case was closed. Though an identification was made, a suspect had not been positively identified.

CONFESSION REGARDING SUSPECT
In June 2021, SVU contacted Sgt. Wayne Kelly of the SCSO in reference to this case. An open case in Suwannee County had been located on Project: Cold Case’s website about an unidentified person found in the river. The newspaper reports from the Suwannee Democrat were collected and sent to Sgt. Kelly, who would reference the case in the SCSO archives. Within the file, it was revealed that Ward had been identified in June 2012 and that the case concluded without a suspect named.

During Sgt. Kelly’s investigation, it was revealed by a close family member of Sapp Jr. that Sapp Jr. had admitted to murdering Ward and dumping his body in the river after learning of the Dowling Park burglary. Sapp, Jr. along with others saw that Ward possessed the stolen items from the home as he walked into Sapp Jr.’s saloon. Sapp, Jr. took Ward to the Suwannee River, shot him with the stolen rifle and threw it in the river along with Ward’s body. The family member had relayed the fact that William Clayton Sapp had shared this story with members of the family over the years, and that it had been a "dark secret within the family".

Sgt. Kelly attempted to speak with William Clayton Sapp, however he died in 2020.

It was also revealed through the research performed by SVU that Reginald Ward had relatives that resided in Titusville, Florida. One of the relatives is a brother
who reached out to SVU via Websleuths Web Forum in January 2022. He was able to provide a photograph of Mr. Ward.

The following is a statement from the family of Reginald Ward:

"To Suwannee Valley Unsolved,
We, the Rivers Family would like to extend our gratitude of thanks and blessing
upon each of you for the very hard work and committed efforts in
bringing the necessary attention to the cold case file of our beloved
family member Reginald Ward.
We would like to thank the Suwannee County Sheriff’s Office and
Detective Wayne Kelley for solving this cold case.
With your due diligence and skillful investigation, our Family can now
begin the much need healing and grieving process.
The Bible scripture in the book of Philippians 4:6-7 New International
Version(NVL) says, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every
situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your
requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all
understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
God has answered our prayers and now our Family has PEACE."

The Suwannee County Sheriff’s Office has closed this case with a satisfactory ending. Though William Clyde Sapp, Jr. is deceased, he has been named the
suspect in this case based on witness statements from people with knowledge of this event.

SVU would like to thank the following individuals for following up with this case:

Sgt. Wayne Kelly, Suwannee County Sheriff’s Office
Ret. Agent Robert Shotwell, Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement
State Attorney’s Office for the 3rd District
And the countless number of deputies and agents, past and present, who worked tirelessly on this case.

If anyone has further information in regards to the homicide of Reginald Ward,
you may contact the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office, Sgt. Wayne Kelly at 386-
362-2222.

Attachments

• 0F1BA678-007F-44F4-B92C-8B3A15A821A8.jpeg
    0F1BA678-007F-44F4-B92C-8B3A15A821A8.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 8
Some thoughts I shared on Reddit recently: https://www.reddit.com/user/suwanne...ez/in_memory_of_reginald_leonard_reggie_ward/

On Friday February 18th, 2022, myself and the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office made the announcement that Reginald "Reggie" Ward's case was over. It had been solved nearly forty years after his body had been located in the Suwannee River.

As the story goes, a pair of canoers located Reggie's body as it was partially floating to the surface of the river. They docked their canoe, ran to the nearby Interstate 10, flagged a driver, who proceeded to the agricultural checkpoint to inform the officer of the grizzly discovery. The officer in turn reported the discovery to the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office. When they pulled him out of the river, he was badly decomposed and hogtied hand to feet. Two heavy sandbags were wrapped around his neck.

When a multijurisdictional dive team went into the river a day after taking Reggie's body out, they discovered items that appeared to be personal in nature, like sleeping materials and camping gear. Then they found the murder weapon: a .22 caliber Winchester rifle.

The rifle was checked, along with a pocket knife that was found with the items. The weapons were traced back to a report made on September 5th, 1983 in Dowling Park, where a home had been burglarized. A list of items were stolen, such as food, drinks, camping gear, and most importantly a rifle and pocketknife.

The items didn't paint this murdered victim in a good light. He appeared to be the thief that stole from someone's home. But regardless of the events that transpired on the 5th, this didn't necessarily make Reggie a bad guy. And it certainly didn't warrant the end he received: 9 bullets to his body; all matched the rounds from the rifle.

And this could have been Reggie's legacy: an unidentified male who was a thief who effectively died by the same weapon he stole. But he didn't shoot himself nine times, hogtied himself and threw himself in the river.

You saw that right...an unidentified male. That is what Reggie was until 2012.

If it had not been for William Clayton Sapp's guilty conscience, we wouldn't be in the position we are in today. He relayed a sketchy version of the story to FDLE Special Agent Robert Shotwell at the federal prison in Jesup, Georgia in 2010, which resulted in the homicide investigation being reopened by FDLE. He talked about his father, William Clyde Sapp (who will be referenced as Junior Sapp henceforth) murdering a black man on the Suwannee River with a .22 rifle. There are many pages within the FDLE report that details Agent Shotwell's investigation, who he spoke with, and ultimately how Reginald Ward was identified--by a partial fingerprint card that was run through the AFIS program.

After Reggie's identification, William Clayton Sapp told investigators that he didn't know Reggie, who killed him, or why he was killed. He changed his story. But even though FDLE closed their case after speaking with Sapp, they knew the story wasn't adding up.

Enter Wayne Kelly, the Sergeant of Investigations at the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office.

When I found that Suwannee County had an open case file involving a set of human remains in June 2021, I decided to dig into the Suwannee Democrat archives and look for this story. And I certainly did. Afterwards, I took notes and copies of the articles. Then I reported my findings to the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office. Sgt. Kelly was quick to return my messages.

He couldn't believe the story I was telling him, and he had to see this for himself. So he pulled the case file, which was a disorganized mess, and straightened it out. He was able to start from the beginning and work his way up to Reggie's identification in 2012. From there, he used the leads Agent Shotwell developed and picked up from there.

I am 110% aware of what happened next. This part of the story, I cannot say too much about because it involved someone close to William Clayton Sapp. It involved a number of things that went deeper than blood. But nonetheless, it was something that truly helped the investigation and the way it went.

Through the interview with the person shared that over the years, Sapp would talk about the night his father, Junior Sapp, shot the black man and threw him into the river. It was an act of sick, twisted vigilante justice that was mixed in with boiled hatred for blacks. Junior didn't take kind of a black person like Reggie walking into his bar, especially with stolen items. And it should be noted that Junior wasn't alone. I have thoughts about this, but I do not want to share them here, because it will only stoke the fire more. But based on the fact that William Clayton was able to share the story so vividly, it makes me wonder where he was around the night of September 5th, 1983.

The person who shared this story feared for their safety after sharing this. They were shaking. They knew the family would get upset. But its better to know what happened, instead of whitewashing the truth about what happened to Reggie Ward.

It's a shame that Junior Sapp couldn't be tried for this. He died in 1996, escaping the clutches of the law. But bad things came to him in multiple ways while in this life. One, his son Joseph Ronald Sapp would be viciously killed in Lake City in April 1983. He was shot in the head five times, his car stolen and later abandoned nearby. It is still an open case.

William Clayton would be in and out of prison on a number of drug charges. His health was also poor. By the time Sgt. Kelly wanted to speak to him, it was too late. His rough life finally caught up to him and it killed him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reginald Ward was born in Quincy, Florida on March 31st, 1964 to the late Flora Gaymon and Clinton Ward, Sr. He lived most of his life in Gadsden County and would visit Tallahassee often. The young man did have his issues which led him into the care of multiple boys homes, including the infamous Dozier School for Boys.

He ran away from the home and went back to Quincy in an attempt to live a straight life. But the last time he was seen alive, his girlfriend had dropped him off at his grandmother's home in Quincy. He could not live with her at Fort Campbell because he was not a dependent.

When he set off east, Reggie likely believed that it would be the start of something new. He likely believed that somewhere along his travels, an adventure would begin.

But the plans most likely didn't involve being murdered.

This solve helps give hope to other cold cases in the region. And some that were lost to time. And it also brings back a painful past Suwannee Countians would want to forget. Not far from where Reggie's body was found, Willie James Howard would be lynched. The case, though closed on paper, certainly brings suspicions on what really happened. No one was ever brought to trial on his murder because of the racist justice system at the time.

But in today's world, the times are dramatically different. Old civil rights era cases are reopened and sometimes a suspect is found. Take for example Medgar Evers' murder. His murderer, Byron De La Beckwith, went through two hung juries and after the second one Beckwith believed he was done. Well, 1994 came, new evidence was presented, and so did new witnesses. In the end, Evers got justice and Beckwith lived the rest of his miserable life in prison.

But unfortunately, in Reggie's case, we will never see that. And most likely, we will never see that in the Howard case. But I do hope that justice comes some day for every case that remains open, the obvious signs pointing to a hate crime.

Rest in Peace, Reggie. Your family never forgot about you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back