Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #61 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't that be the opposite of Occam's razor? The simplest would be he killed her and buried her on his own acreage rather than the more complex theory that he killed her, dismembered her and took her somewhere in a cooler in a vehicle. Not to say the more complex didn't occur...just questioning the complexity of the two theories together.

That's exactly what I'm saying - killed her, buried her. Using a cooler doesn't increase the complexity much.

I don't think that will play well in front of a CO jury, but we shall see. I say this because it creates such a disconnect between the public image (carefully crafted by Suzanne, IMO) and the "good ol' boy" thing. Of course, it could work with one juror or two, right?

I wonder what Barry will wear to trial, assuming the Court permits him to wear street clothes. Surely not a suit? That would clash with both the Western cowboy/T-shirt biceps guy image and the stylishly dressed Barry of Suzanne's twitter feed, both of which are more consistent with the improper use of English grammar. Will they try to present him as an urbane Purdue graduate? He just sits there while whatever it is he said to investigators is presented by whoever heard him say it.

I just keep getting really nervous about the contexts in which he said things and whether all the things he said will be admissible (self-incrimination is not okay at trial, but if he was warned that he was being videotaped or recorded at a police station, I think they can use it - I wish we had a criminal lawyer to weigh in).

Surely not the wifebeater t-shirts cuz, well, you know ....

Normally, yes. But not if you are a dirt guy who likes to dig holes. MOO.

Burial or a dumpster or even dismemberment still leaves a body. I don't know where CM is coming from with his mutilation theory and I've never seriously thought of Barry being able to dismember Suzanne, that's hands on and takes a pretty angry and cold soul after 23 years of marriage but setting a body on fire and walking away for awhile.....like happened to Kelsey, has crossed my mind. That would be mutilation. Evidence of a burned body...a tooth/ a bone would fit with the DA's charges of murder and CM's strong suggestion of mutilation, we 'haven't found the body" because there is not body to find.

That Tyler video puzzles me. It shows Barry walking around by himself in the area of the bicycle discovery. Then, his mom shows up in a pickup truck, gets out of it and goes to the passenger side....if I remember correctly. Why was she there? Did they agree in advance that she would pick him up on the side of the road? Why? That just seemed like an odd exchange to me.
I am curious to learn if BM could see the area that the impromptu interview took place from his home or somewhere on his property. Did he see Tyler milling around in the area and went down to intercede a interloper? What are the chances the two would just happen to run into each other? 1 in 500,000 IMO.

RSBM

And was it coincidental???? Andy shared that in Early Sept 2020. It was early Oct that Barry shared selected parts of cards and notes from Suzanne . Suzanne wrote..

"I remember the February nights, you held me in 2013 when I was so sick and couldn’t sleep. I remember all the beautiful and difficult times we had – so many –"
Good observation. Barry did seem to get defensive when anybody said something negative about him. When LS interviewed him by phone he sounded more upset about what his workers said than he was about his missing wife.

Burial or a dumpster or even dismemberment still leaves a body. I don't know where CM is coming from with his mutilation theory and I've never seriously thought of Barry being able to dismember Suzanne, that's hands on and takes a pretty angry and cold soul after 23 years of marriage but setting a body on fire and walking away for awhile.....like happened to Kelsey, has crossed my mind. That would be mutilation. Evidence of a burned body...a tooth/ a bone would fit with the DA's charges of murder and CM's strong suggestion of mutilation, we 'haven't found the body" because there is not body to find.
I don't want to 'like' this post, but I fear he did do something really egregious. Our member @oviedo posted she thought BM had destroyed the body. :(

I had 10 pages to catch up on and see some discussion about BM’s Mother being with him when TD saw him “wet and distraught “. That was on a Saturday and TD did not speak to him. TD was walking around with his phone or GoPro on a selfie stick and walked right by BM’s empty parked truck not realizing it was his. Few minutes later BM drove by him and slowed down to look at TD. That is when TD saw Indiana plates and recognized BM as the driver.

The following day, Sunday was when TD went back and ran into BM and recorded their conversation and his Mom was there.

Just wanted to remind that TD saw BM on 2 different days.
I watched both videos as soon as the were posted on YouTube and remember this clearly. JMHO

MOD REMINDER:
The ONLY approved TD YouTube video is the interview with BM.
None of the other Draper videos are approved for discussion on WS.

IIRC Andy mentioned SMs depression was also after her mother had died. I definitely remember AM addressing it, even suggesting BM ridiculed her for needing RX for her depression and objected to it. MOO
BM didn't want her to take anti depressants, he didn't want her to take medical pot for her pain due to CANCER. WTH, I believe he didn't 'let' her do one thing without his approval.

What a narcissistic, controlling, 'roid raging p o s he is. IMO

Are there any boots on the ground in Salida? I'm most curious about what can be seen -- from public roads -- no trespassing -- where tree clusters sprung up. The ones with oddly arranged memorial rocks. I'm curious about depressions in the soil, mushrooms sprouting from the soils, and signs of distress with the trees or surrounding grass.... looking for any signs of chemicals.... chlorine, lime, etc....

Same question for casual kayakers.... how are all the beach areas holding up....

I need some real time satellite imagery!

Methinks the Colorado landscape wants to yield its secrets..... if only we knew where to look....

JMO
I would love to see @vislaw do one of the satellite overlay thing like they did on the Daybell case. AMAZING FASCINATING work that their company does.. jmo

I've always understood it that the lead investigator on the case is the one who writes the affidavit for the judge. It's their job to convince the judge that what they've discovered during the course of the investigation leads to probable cause to arrest the suspect. I may be oversimplifying it though. Maybe @OldCop can share his thoughts on this.
Yes, it usually is the lead investigator who writes an affidavit, BUT, it also depends on the complexity of the case. In a complex case, many times an assistant DA would sit down with the investigator to go over the probable cause points before the affidavit is submitted to a judge. The DA may tell the investigator to get more evidence or to tighten up some points. It is also a fact that some investigators are better writers than others and in a complex case with several investigators involved, one might be assigned to keep the notes and write the affidavit. This is how we did it in the city where I worked. Working with an assistant DA early on in a big case helps immensely when you get to trial.

IMO Barry likely doesn’t want his daughters seeing the AA at all. He knows that it doesn’t portray him as a innocent and loving husband. I think he feels the less info they have, the easier it is for him to continue to tell them his version of events. IMO he might be better off having them see everything before trial. He can tell them that it’s completely overblown and even the judge agreed. Ethics aside, is there anything preventing his counsel from sharing it with the daughters prior to public release?

Well seemingly the only way he can tell them which parts are lies is either during a recorded phone call or recorded visit. I hope he makes these calls. It will be interesting to hear his version of events, and oh shucks, the prosecutor can listen to all of it. Great for the prosecution.... Horrible for the defense cuz I'm pretty sure his words will come back to haunt him, especially if it contradicts things said during the 3-30 interviews. Poor BM, the only way he could defend himself against this when it comes up at trial is to take the stand. I sure wouldn't mind seeing that. So, go ahead, Tiger (in the cage), make that phone call! Jmo

JP said he was replacing the "plate". I don't know what part that is on a bobcat, but he never said he replaced the bucket or any attachments. He also never said BM washed the bobcat or anything like that. He isn't easy to understand, but he definitely said Barry was replacing the plate.

Yes, but they won't read that until after the preliminary. And there's no avoiding the preliminary. Still, if Barry is cunning, he will prepare them by giving alternate theories to the main points of the AA.

By the time the AA is made public, there will likely be some redactions plus - the evidence will have been presented in a courtroom and the daughters will have access to that, as will we all.

Barry still has the option to waive his right to the preliminary too. Then we wait until the trial.

BM didn't want her to take anti depressants, he didn't want her to take medical pot for her pain due to CANCER. WTH, I believe he didn't 'let' her do one thing without his approval.

What a narcissistic, controlling, 'roid raging p o s he is. IMO

Maybe his attitude toward alternate methods of dealing with psychiatric issues and physical pain is very similar to Tom Cruise's belief system. Both these individuals are strict followers of their religions . Maybe not so much evidence of control, IMO, but a direct result of a belief system that felt psychiatric treatment including drugs was detrimental to the patient. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Most arrest affidavits are 1-3 pages long. LE usually gives the bare minimum to convince a judge to sign off on an arrest. LE doesn't usually like "showing their cards" that early and there is absolutely no reason to try to prove anything but probable cause that a crime has been committed at that stage.

I'm sorry but a 130 page affidavit is insane. I have no idea why someone would want to do that except show-boating and trying to get prejudicial information out into the public without actually leaking it to the public.

I truly can't think of anything similar in a decade+ of federal white collar defense. Complex multi-player antitrust conspiracy cases have had 50, 60 page indictments and 10 page probable cause affidavits. I agree with the judge that it is beyond unusual and apparently unnecessary.

BBM
This is interesting. I guess I am silly to have thought that a legal document and sworn statement, like an AA, would include only factual information, rather than be a marketing document for the prosecution. IMO the judge's ruling backed up this idea by saying something like it would be prejudicial to the defense. As a lay person, I take that to mean the judge suspects that some (a lot?) of what is written in the document might not be allowed to be presented as evidence.

Last edited:
BBM
This is interesting. I guess I am silly to have thought that a legal document and sworn statement, like an AA, would include only factual information, rather than be a marketing document for the prosecution. IMO the judges ruling backed up this idea by saying something like it would be prejudicial to the defense. As a lay person, I take that to mean the judge suspects that some (a lot?) of what is written in the document might not be allowed to be presented as evidence.

The veracity of the information will be tested in court. The AA is a factual overview of the police case, as the police know it.
(In Australia, we call it the Police Brief .)

There is always some debate about what will and what won't be allowed at trial. In every case. The defense wants things excluded, for obvious reasons. And the prosecution wants things included, for obvious reasons.

The judge may immediately be able to see items that will not be allowed. That doesn't mean, imo, that the prosecution should not try to have them included.

It is up to the judge to moderate, it is not up to the prosecution to moderate.

imo

Last edited:
JP said he was replacing the "plate". I don't know what part that is on a bobcat, but he never said he replaced the bucket or any attachments. He also never said BM washed the bobcat or anything like that. He isn't easy to understand, but he definitely said Barry was replacing the plate.
I caught that also..I think the plate is that flat piece that compacts soil which he would definitely be using before a concrete slab pour at the river house or anywhere he was working. In May the general contractor was probably going full steam ahead to get that home built so the owners could enjoy it in the summer.

I caught that also..I think the plate is that flat piece that compacts soil which he would definitely be using before a concrete slab pour at the river house or anywhere he was working. In May the general contractor was probably going full steam ahead to get that home built so the owners could enjoy it in the summer.

I think (posted links before from the Bobcat website) that the plate is the thing on the end of the bobcat arm that the various attachments attach to.

The buckets, smoothers, and other attachments attach to the plate, which is attached to the arm.

This way the attachments seem relatively easy to change, when a different attachment is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken