Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never cared for buffets and hated the "salad bar" craze in the 70s and 80s. So glad that most restaurants did away with salad bars. Having sailed on two cruises with Norovirus outbreaks onboard, there is even more reason to avoid buffets, and food sampling in grocery stores, Costco, etc. is out of the question.

Yes, many of the salad bars in the 70s and 80s didnt even have sneeze guards.

Not that they do much, it all depends on the height of the customers. lol

Hubby and I often did a Sunday brunch down at a 'posh' hotel in TO for birthdays/anniversaries/any old occasion and it was not like being with a cast of thousands.

For many of the foods, you had a server ie at the hot food section.

We even had our wedding dinner at a famous TO buffet, so that people could have exactly what they wanted.

No rubber chicken meal on that day! :)

What I find interesting is all the additional packaging that is now being used. But all the people who were up in arms about the plastic waste are no longer complaining.

I went into the gas station the other day. I noticed every single donut in the Krispy Kreme case was individually wrapped. Personally, I think it should have always been that way. You know that had to be quite the investment for that company. (I don't like donuts anyway. LOL!)

At the cancer center cafeteria, the salad bar is now prepared for you. They'll still give you as much as you want of anything. It reminds me of the old Morrison's Cafeteria in the malls years ago.

Until the pandemic, Nino Salvaggio's always had a self-serve bakery area for individual items like bagels, assorted dinner/sandwich rolls, croissants, etc. There were plastic bags, ties, and tongs for making your choices. Some items were priced individually, while others were priced by the half dozen. Bagels were priced by the half dozen, but you could select six different varieties if that's what you wanted. If the bakery department was busy, you might have to wait until there were tongs available and room to make selections from the bins. There were plenty of times when I saw customers reach into the bins with their hands because they didn't want to wait for tongs :eek:

Since the pandemic, the self-serve bins are still there but there are no tongs and everything is in its own cellophane bag. Some items are individually wrapped, while others, like bagels, are in bags of three. They still offer all the different varieties of bagels, but you can't mix and match like before. DH and I both like the new system and hope it remains even when things loosen up and get back to normal. The pre-packaged bakery items save time even when the store isn't busy, and people aren't touching food with their bare hands.

Last edited:
I went grocery shopping today, had a list from 2 local stores. Half of everything advertised on sale was sold out. I couldn't find anything it seemed, so many items had moved locations in both stores, I did alot of wandering around and circling. Came home after 2 1/2 hrs frustrated with only about 1/2 what was on my original list and way too many impulsive buys, mostly what I consider junk food. Felt like I'd wasted all that time. Apparently I do better with online shopping and pickup, I don't impulse buy, what I do buy is much healthier and so much quicker. I definitely didn't enjoy my shopping trip - I'm going back to pick-ups for most of my grocery shopping.
At least now that I'm fully vaccinated, I feel comfortable doing a quick run in for anything I may miss on regular pick up orders if I really need something.

I went to the produce pick up today and they also gave me 2 boxes of dry goods.

Lots of corn to shuck!
I’ll wear gloves to cut the pineapple, just in case it bothers my skin.
We were out of potatoes so very thankful for 2 bags which are 2 different types. The little yellow ones and the other bag is big red ones with some big white ones mixed in.
The onions look rough. Maybe I’ll dice and freeze them.
I’m thinking of making coleslaw with sour cream since I don’t eat Mayo.
The beets are kinda soft but I’ll see if I can salvage them.
I’m thinking tzatki for the cucumbers.
I’ll cut up the pears too as they’re very ripe. Maybe pear muffins?

I need to find someone to share these dry goods with. I can’t eat that much cereal, pasta and brown rice.

Attachments

• 9A66B570-77C1-4776-8CDC-A8314738C260.jpeg
    9A66B570-77C1-4776-8CDC-A8314738C260.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20D37A7F-E166-4DB1-A62D-57E10915475A.jpeg
    20D37A7F-E166-4DB1-A62D-57E10915475A.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 2D89A71B-89D2-4E34-B15B-F0050924CFD9.jpeg
    2D89A71B-89D2-4E34-B15B-F0050924CFD9.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 38
I went grocery shopping today, had a list from 2 local stores. Half of everything advertised on sale was sold out. I couldn't find anything it seemed, so many items had moved locations in both stores, I did alot of wandering around and circling. Came home after 2 1/2 hrs frustrated with only about 1/2 what was on my original list and way too many impulsive buys, mostly what I consider junk food. Felt like I'd wasted all that time. Apparently I do better with online shopping and pickup, I don't impulse buy, what I do buy is much healthier and so much quicker. I definitely didn't enjoy my shopping trip - I'm going back to pick-ups for most of my grocery shopping.
At least now that I'm fully vaccinated, I feel comfortable doing a quick run in for anything I may miss on regular pick up orders if I really need something.
Sometimes I don’t realize how long I’ve been in the store. I spend too much time trying to find something appealing. Annoying others by being pokey seems to be my theme. I’m so exhausted when I’m done. I’m doing better at meal prep tho. If I miss something my kid will swing in and get items on her way home.

I have noticed that prices are going up on food and other products. Unfortunately, my paycheck has not been increased! Not sure if this is a result of the pandemic or?

I don’t think prices will come back down once the inventories and supply chains return to normal. Just like wages won’t drop either. It’s like the entire economy got their head handed to them on a platter. The shock of it is changing the business models permanently.

The cost of gardening is not going to go down either. I think a lot of people are going to continue to grow their own food out of necessity. I’m trying to sell the last bit of stock I own. The price keeps tanking tho. I need to get the house maint done before we have a hurricane. My hope is I’ll have enough cash left to get the garden in. Then I can maintain it over the winter. Harvest and preserve what I am able to and share with my kiddos.

I don’t think prices will come back down once the inventories and supply chains return to normal. Just like wages won’t drop either. It’s like the entire economy got their head handed to them on a platter. The shock of it is changing the business models permanently.

The cost of gardening is not going to go down either. I think a lot of people are going to continue to grow their own food out of necessity. I’m trying to sell the last bit of stock I own. The price keeps tanking tho. I need to get the house maint done before we have a hurricane. My hope is I’ll have enough cash left to get the garden in. Then I can maintain it over the winter. Harvest and preserve what I am able to and share with my kiddos.

Although, I was able to buy hand sanitizer, masks, and sanitizer wipes for super cheap the other day.

Get rain checks for advertised items that have sold out. They are required to give them to you so you can come back at a later time and purchase the item at the reduced cost that was advertised.

Meat prices are absurd! Pre-cut individual filet mignons are $32.99 a pound at Nino's :eek: We never buy the counter cuts and prefer to buy a whole tenderloin when they're on special - previously about $10.99 a pound. We usually get five meals out of a whole tenderloin plus the ground trimmings that are good for chili or Bolognese. We will stick to chicken and fish during the summer months which is fine since we like lighter meals. Produce prices seem reasonable for now.

Consumer prices surged 5 percent in May, fastest pace since 2008 (nbcnews.com)

Spiking demand and limited supply in the reopening economy drove higher price increases for a second consecutive month.

...Prices at the grocery store spiked during pandemic lockdown in spring of 2020 as shoppers stocked up and lean supply chains sputtered under the sudden, nationwide demand. Prices have never gone back down to their pre-pandemic levels.

The average national price paid for 16 oz. of bacon rose to $5.40 in May, up from $5.23 a month prior, and higher than the $4.72 paid in January 2020, according to exclusive supermarket point of sale data from NielsenIQ.

Fresh ground beef rose to $5.32 per pound in May, up from $5.27 in April, and higher than the average pre-pandemic cost of $5.02.

Chicken breasts fell to $3.14 from $3.20 in May, while still slightly higher than the $3.01 paid in January 2020...

Consumer prices surged 5 percent in May, fastest pace since 2008 (nbcnews.com)

Spiking demand and limited supply in the reopening economy drove higher price increases for a second consecutive month.

...Prices at the grocery store spiked during pandemic lockdown in spring of 2020 as shoppers stocked up and lean supply chains sputtered under the sudden, nationwide demand. Prices have never gone back down to their pre-pandemic levels.

The average national price paid for 16 oz. of bacon rose to $5.40 in May, up from $5.23 a month prior, and higher than the $4.72 paid in January 2020, according to exclusive supermarket point of sale data from NielsenIQ.

Fresh ground beef rose to $5.32 per pound in May, up from $5.27 in April, and higher than the average pre-pandemic cost of $5.02.

Chicken breasts fell to $3.14 from $3.20 in May, while still slightly higher than the $3.01 paid in January 2020...

I didn't realize some people stopped eating food during the pandemic and are only now out buying groceries. ;):rolleyes: IIRC, people were doing the opposite - they were "panic buying".

JMO, it's mercenary pricing. They knew they couldn't get by with jacking up prices during the pandemic, so they're slipping it in now.

Meat prices are absurd! Pre-cut individual filet mignons are $32.99 a pound at Nino's :eek: We never buy the counter cuts and prefer to buy a whole tenderloin when they're on special - previously about $10.99 a pound. We usually get five meals out of a whole tenderloin plus the ground trimmings that are good for chili or Bolognese. We will stick to chicken and fish during the summer months which is fine since we like lighter meals. Produce prices seem reasonable for now.

Ransom was for the meat, and prior for the gas... dissipates soon.???

Alhtough, wanting to have products USA only vs overseas where it had been cheaper for DECADES (my corporation actually did studies for such .. ahead of the times.. asked/investigated re purchaing raw materials from China).

FYI, the prices on chicken have never been lower in my area...

It’s been a corny day. Shucked, desilked, washed & cut. Now to sauté some & freeze some. Corn chowder does sound good as my oldest mentioned.

The nectarine was delicious. It never made it to the fridge. The pears are prepped and I found a pear bread recipe. Cut up the pineapple and one is in the freezer.

Attachments

• E800C128-9168-43F6-9051-E0AA7A2A8539.jpeg
    E800C128-9168-43F6-9051-E0AA7A2A8539.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 25
  • CCAA18DA-1F98-4AB7-BF7B-2A7F3E6A8ECD.jpeg
    CCAA18DA-1F98-4AB7-BF7B-2A7F3E6A8ECD.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 60FB75DE-519F-4B13-BF18-0FE9ABAC627E.jpeg
    60FB75DE-519F-4B13-BF18-0FE9ABAC627E.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 26
Ransom was for the meat, and prior for the gas... dissipates soon.???

Alhtough, wanting to have products USA only vs overseas where it had been cheaper for DECADES (my corporation actually did studies for such .. ahead of the times.. asked/investigated re purchaing raw materials from China).

FYI, the prices on chicken have never been lower in my area...

No thanks on the China food chain. I bought multiple cans of peaches from Kroger. Their brand, before the pandemic really hit. They are awful compared to Del Monte or even our local chain, HEB. One can left and it will be puréed into a fruit smoothie, too. As for meat, don’t even ask me what the Chinese reportedly feed the animals. You don’t want to know. No, I’ll wait for prices to drop or if they don’t, my meat eating will decline a bit. 50% off is good, too. And I’ll be sure to not let any of it go to freezer burn stage. Just being very careful until everything stabilizes.

It’s been a corny day. Shucked, desilked, washed & cut. Now to sauté some & freeze some. Corn chowder does sound good as my oldest mentioned.

The nectarine was delicious. It never made it to the fridge. The pears are prepped and I found a pear bread recipe. Cut up the pineapple and one is in the freezer.
You are amazing and inspiring, PayrollNerd!

I just heard tonight that the supplier of most of the meat in the US paid $11 million in the ransomware/hacking that was done recently. Whoa.

I just heard tonight that the supplier of most of the meat in the US paid $11 million in the ransomware/hacking that was done recently. Whoa.

It would have cost them far less than that to hire some IT professionals to protect their system. If they were government contractors, they would have been required to meet higher standards for IT security.

White House Warns Companies to Act Now on Ransomware Defenses

All of these cases are 100% preventable. Some of the internal mistakes are incredibly stupid, like allowing employees to share one simple common password to access company servers remotely. Consumers shouldn't have to be required to pay for this stupidity.

I just bought a new grill so will be having my steaks and burgers and enjoying them.

Been on a fish kick for nearly a year, while trying to not get mercury poisoning. lol

As Midwestmom said, perhaps a bit less red meat or on a flyer special but its still happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus