TX - Cash Gernon, 4, found dead in street w/multiple wounds, Dallas, 15 May 2021 #2 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the murder affidavit, DNA tests and surveillance video show Brown kidnapped Gernon, carried the child to a nearby walking trail and stabbed him to death in the chest.

The affidavit says Brown brought the child’s body back out onto a public street and left him there.

Blood evidence linked kidnapping suspect to Dallas 4-year-old’s murder, affidavit reveals

Am I misreading this? It sounds like there is surveillance video of him on the street with Cash.

Is that enough to put to bed that a DB impersonator took Cash?

Do you have the section of the affidavit that says exactly that? The small portion I'm looking at does not specifically state that videos show that he carried the child to the walking trail. Unfortunately I only have a small portion that was posted here earlier. It says:

Based on the DNA test reports and the surveillance videos found during the investigation, this placed the suspect in close contact with the complainant at the time of this death. The suspect kidnapped the complainant and carried him to the public walking trail located in the 8900 block of Isom Lane. (Could just be his blood found there, doesn't mean they have a vid showing he actually walked onto/down that path)

The suspect then carried the complainant out onto a public street where he was discovered by Witness A. Square in the 7500 block of Saddleridge Dr. (Again, it doesn't say they have that on video. but if Cash's blood was on the trail that placed him there, then his body was found on Saddleridge... that places him there. No video is required to figure that out)

So, unless I see something from LE, or in the affidavit, that specifically says "we have XYZ 'action' on video"... then it may or may not be on video. The same goes for the people that were stating DB's DNA was found on Cash when we never saw that stated anywhere. I believe (IMHO) that they were assuming as much. Until we see something stated as fact, it's all speculation.

And no, I do not think there was a DB impersonator, Doppelganger, etc. :) I think it was BD. I just don't know for sure if all that was caught on vid (taking him onto the trail and then walking to Saddleridge. Vid isn't needed to know that. If there IS video, all the better for the prosecutors!)

Here is the portion of the affidavit I'm speaking about that someone so graciously posted early (sorry, don't recall who, but thank you). :)

https://twitter.com/tanyaeiserer/status/1403400740878569477

Here we go...:confused:...they are trying to say he cannot stand trial because he cannot understand the legality and protocol...

Pretty much figured this is where we would get to eventually.

We already knew that he was being treated for some type of mental illness but I’m wondering if there is an intellectual delay as well?

If I recall he did go to high school at one point so who knows.

Blood evidence linked kidnapping suspect to Dallas 4-year-old’s murder, affidavit reveals

If you read this entire article, Brown’s lawyer tells the reporter that Brown is “actually schizophrenic”.

FOX 4 spoke to Brown’s attorney on June 1. Heath Harris claims his client is not guilty and is actually schizophrenic. He says brown had just been released from a mental health facility right before his arrest and will undergo a mental evaluation. “

According to the murder affidavit, DNA tests and surveillance video show Brown kidnapped Gernon, carried the child to a nearby walking trail and stabbed him to death in the chest.

The affidavit says Brown brought the child’s body back out onto a public street and left him there.

Am I misreading this? It sounds like there is surveillance video of him on the street with Cash.

Is that enough to put to bed that a DB impersonator took Cash?

Is there a public copy of the affidavit anywhere?

I would much rather read the actual affidavit before I draw any conclusions of what its intended meaning is because this article is not particularly clear. From its contents, you can infer that they have videos of the whole crime.

If anyone has a link to the affidavit, may I please have it? I would much appreciate the opportunity to read the actual text. Thanks in advance.

If you read this entire article, Brown’s lawyer tells the reporter that Brown is “actually schizophrenic”.

FOX 4 spoke to Brown’s attorney on June 1. Heath Harris claims his client is not guilty and is actually schizophrenic. He says brown had just been released from a mental health facility right before his arrest and will undergo a mental evaluation. “

Does this direct assertion mean that schizophrenia ia back on the table for discussion?

For further context the video of the interview with DB’s attorney and his exact quotes are here:

Harris confirms Brown had been to a mental health facility but was later released.

"Based on what I believe, I am going to be able to support this kid is schizophrenic," he said. "We want to see if this was a situation where it’s a ‘who done it?’ Or a simple question of, ‘why wasn’t this prevented?’"
2:53 in video
Attorney claims man accused of killing Dallas 4-year-old is schizophrenic

"Based on what I believe, I am going to be able to support this kid is schizophrenic," he said.

So DB's lawyer, who is not a mental health professional, is asserting that the man (18 year old is a man, not a kid) is schizophrenic. Lawyers are paid to assert things like that.

Right now, DB is simply an adult man charged with a horrific and senseless murder of an innocent young boy.

Mr. Harris is going to trot out DB's entire medical history for his defense, and that's a fair strategy to a certain point because, yes, if DB is actually a diagnosed schizophrenic who was hospitalized and released, the system failed him, his family, Cash Gernon, and so on and so forth.

However, if Mr. Harris is NOW going to seek a diagnosis ex post facto, that's just a super calculated move. I have no doubt, also, that judging from what he said here, Mr. Harris intends to put the parents, caretakers, etc. through the wringer to defend DB.

The strategy, it seems, is spreading the blame and minimizing DB's responsibility.

A change from "believe" schizo to "actually" schizo?
N.B., not discussing DB's mental health issues, just wondering about ^ change, whether it came from from reporter Peyton Yager, Fox4 or Atty Heath Harris.

Q: In June 1 story, did reporter 'tone down' MH angle?
Q: Were both articles from same convo btwn reporter & atty?
Q: Was there a second convo later?
Q: If so, did atty say "actually" schizo?
If atty learned more during interim & said more, then why does June 11 article refer to June 1 convo w atty?

June 1,* reporter wrote:
"The attorney defending the man suspected in the recent kidnapping and murder of a 4-year old boy in Dallas believes his client suffers from schizophrenia." bbm

June 11,** Fox4 spoke to Brown’s attorney on June 1, and wrote: Atty said DB is "actually schizophrenic" and had just been released from "mental health facility right before his arrest and will undergo a mental evaluation." bbm
** June 11. "FOX 4 spoke to Brown’s attorney on June 1. Heath Harris claims his client is not guilty and is actually schizophrenic. He says brown had just been released from a mental health facility right before his arrest and will undergo a mental evaluation.
"

Last edited:
Not sure what this is about.
DB has 1 capital murder charge plus 1 capital murder charge of a child under 10 years of age.
View attachment 300510
Dallas County Online Jail Search

Looks like some changes have been made on the 12th. The one with no bail amount was on the 10th. I'll let you do all the side by side comparisons of the various forms but will post one difference that I found which was to the Election of Counsel.

For F2175979 he was requesting the court make a determination of indigence and appoint counsel <snip> https://obpublicaccess.dallascounty...ViewDocument&overlay=Print&overrideFormat=PDF

For F2175987 it says 'No. I do not want the court to appoint counsel for me. <snip> https://obpublicaccess.dallascounty...ViewDocument&overlay=Print&overrideFormat=PDF

Not sure what this is about.
DB has 1 capital murder charge plus 1 capital murder charge of a child under 10 years of age.
View attachment 300510
Dallas County Online Jail Search

The initial capital murder charge -showing no bond- is probably a "placeholder"...something along the lines of "this is what the basic charge is but we will add the aggravating factors once we've determined and request bond accordingly".

Looks like some changes have been made on the 12th. The one with no bail amount was on the 10th. I'll let you do all the side by side comparisons of the various forms but will post one difference that I found which was to the Election of Counsel.

For F2175979 he was requesting the court make a determination of indigence and appoint counsel <snip> https://obpublicaccess.dallascounty...ViewDocument&overlay=Print&overrideFormat=PDF

For F2175987 it says 'No. I do not want the court to appoint counsel for me. <snip> https://obpublicaccess.dallascounty...ViewDocument&overlay=Print&overrideFormat=PDF

Do you think that means he's being represented pro bono for the exposure? Because most families can't afford a capital murder defense.

Mr. Harris is going to trot out DB's entire medical history for his defense, and that's a fair strategy to a certain point because, yes, if DB is actually a diagnosed schizophrenic who was hospitalized and released, the system failed him, his family, Cash Gernon, and so on and so forth.

However, if Mr. Harris is NOW going to seek a diagnosis ex post facto, that's just a super calculated move. I have no doubt, also, that judging from what he said here, Mr. Harris intends to put the parents, caretakers, etc. through the wringer to defend DB.

The strategy, it seems, is spreading the blame and minimizing DB's responsibility.
That is the job of a defence attorney. If he did not try to get his client off or get the best deal for him, a conviction could be overturned for the reason of an inadequate defence.

Do you think that means he's being represented pro bono for the exposure? Because most families can't afford a capital murder defense.

The judge has the discretion to appoint approved private practice attorneys if he chooses to do so. And they get paid.
Heath Harris is one of a few capital case qualified attorneys in the Dallas area.
So, I’m not surprised the judge appointed him. moo

DB, Persona Non Grata?
Some think DB's {{ETA: originally, incorrectly wrote Dec}} Feb. attempted abduction of 2 y/o close by prompted Monica S., to ban DB from her home. That – a ban - would a natural reaction from many of us, but that attempt was even before twins were living (starting in Feb?) at her house. Did she issue the ban later, for something else?

<modsnip>

Nothing certain here, maybe not even likely, just possibilities, which may or may not be relevant or change anything. my2ct

@Gemmie. Thanks for catching my goof re the month.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member