Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it? #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three weeks ago I had my second dose of Pfizer. Once again I asked for and received the vaccination in my thigh rather than in my shoulder.

After the first dose I had no side effects. I was hoping for the same results on the second dose, but alas it was not to be. About eight hours after the vaccination I began to experience flu-like symptoms. They were pretty bad and lasted about 30 hours. After they went away I have had had no more difficulty.

Thanks @anneg, but I woke up early this morning (3:30 a.m.) shaking violently from chills. When I got out of bed, they almost made me lose my balance! My temperature was 100.7. I sat up wrapped in two bathrobes and a blanket until the chills passed and I went back to bed. When I eventually got up in the late morning my temp was still the same. I slept all afternoon and now it’s normal and I feel OK enough, but still very tired with a slight headache. The first shot made me feel achy and feverish with a headache, but no chills. I’m not complaining though. It’s a small price to pay for a degree of protection. :)

I'm glad you're feeling better. I had a rough time after my second Pfizer as well.

Thank you to everyone who has described how they felt and what symptoms they went through after receiving the 2nd dose of vaccine.

This is so good to know as I don't know what to expect when I receive my second dose of Pfizer sometime next month. Now I will know that if I get those symptoms that I'm not alone and that's really important. That's why I really appreciate you all sharing this.

I'm sorry some of you had such rough side effects with it. That must have felt pretty miserable. It does seem to occur mostly after the second dose, if I understand it correctly. Chances are I'll experience the same - time will tell.

So glad that you have those side effects behind you and you're back on track! :)

Tomorrow will be two weeks from our second Pfizer vaccination, so we will officially be “fully vaccinated.” We will remain cautious and wear masks when out and about, but we’re looking forward to an outdoor meal at our favorite restaurant when the nice weather returns.

We got ours at CVS here in town last Sunday, the Pfizer vaccine. Second vaccine is next week. The only side effect I experienced was some itching near the injection spot but that was it. Same with hubby.

I was pleased to learn yesterday that both of my brothers will receive their second shots this week (today and Friday). I've seen my sister a couple of times since the beginning of the pandemic, but only DH has seen my brothers. With all of us fully vaccinated by July 4, it's time for us to have a holiday BBQ :)

My husband got his today. I will not get it.

I so much respect folks that are in marriages that agree to disagree as to the title of this thread "did you get it/would you get it" ( and have different circumstances for their decisions) and all is good between them and their choices in life.

May your family be blessed.

I got the AZ vaccine. Side effects were worse after the first shot than the second. Fever and chills for three days (intense on the second day), no arm pain. Getting vaccinated wasn't in question for me. The alternative is far worse and I realize that this isn't just about me. Two of my extended family members caught the virus after the first shot (with different vaccines and at different times), despite taking precautions. They both had flu-like symptoms for a week with no complications.

How long before we need a third shot? I was told I was good for 9 months, but people who had Covid are now called in after three.

Folks who have had COVID don't have the high response that folks who have had the vaccine per discussions on this thread. So yes, they are being told to come back in to get a good immunity. (don't have a link, but we've discussed for a very long time and perhaps someone else has)

MOO whomever told you 9 months booster, was perhaps speaking of that there is only a track record of 9 months historical. We've talked about quite a bit on the threads as to if/when.

There has been NO guidance on ANY vaccines at this time as to when folks will need. It's a flowing to understand when we all might need right now.

HTH

MOO

I'm sure than many here can correct me or expound.

Folks who have had COVID don't have the high response that folks who have had the vaccine per discussions on this thread. So yes, they are being told to come back in to get a good immunity. (don't have a link, but we've discussed for a very long time and perhaps someone else has)

MOO whomever told you 9 months booster, was perhaps speaking of that there is only a track record of 9 months historical. We've talked about quite a bit on the threads as to if/when.

There has been NO guidance on ANY vaccines at this time as to when folks will need. It's a flowing to understand when we all might need right now.

HTH

MOO

I think we are all waiting to find if and when we will need a booster-----

HTH

MOO

@dixiegirl1035 Would you mind clarifying your comment for me. I have no recollection of any discussion that those of us who have had Covid need to come back for a third shot (blaming Covid brain-fog, of course ;)). I assumed everyone will need a booster at some point, so maybe I’m misunderstanding what you said. I will also consult with my friend Google. :)

ETA—See my next post with various links.

Last edited:
To clarify, I was told at the vaccination site that my certificate (proof) of vaccination was valid for the next 9 months. I realize that that might not be the same as time until the next shot.

Following up from Google, I’m getting the sense that those of us who have had Covid and also get vaccinated are having a strong immune response to the vaccinations. Whether we will need boosters seems unclear at this point, but I would certainly get a booster to make sure, especially because of variants.

Will We Need a COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shot?
Right now, experts say it’s too early to speculate whether we’ll need booster shots like some routine vaccines.

[URL='https://www.jhsph.edu/faculty/directory/profile/3528/amesh-adalja']Dr. Amesh Adalja
, a senior scholar at Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in Baltimore, says it’s premature to predict whether COVID-19 boosters will be needed and, if so, at what intervals.

“To me, the threshold for boosters would be to see fully vaccinated individuals getting breakthrough infection severe enough to land them in the hospital,” Adalja told Healthline. “We have not crossed that threshold.”

However, the CEO of the companies whose COVID-19 vaccines are being distributed in the United States say their shots may need to be given annually, like a flu shot. They told Axiosthose boosters could come as early as September.

[/URL]

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-vaccine-booster-shot-variant-immunity

Studies are uncovering evidence that most people develop immune memory to the coronavirus. Ellebedy has found signs of antibody memory, for instance, in people who recovered from an infection. People who had mild COVID-19 had long-lived antibody-producing immune cells in the bone marrow 11 months after infection, he and colleagues reported May 24 in Nature. These cells continue to make antibodies against the virus long after it has left the body, providing protection if a person is exposed again.

Evidence is building that the vaccines offer similar, if not better, protection. In that case, boosters might not be needed for some time. In the last update from vaccine developers, “things looked pretty good,” Lyke says. People who received Moderna’s shot still have high levels of antibodies six months after getting the second dose, researchers reported in April. And Pfizer’s jab has an efficacy of 91.3 percent against COVID-19 symptoms after six months, the pharmaceutical company announced April 1 in a news release.

Still, “we don’t know how any of these COVID-19 vaccines perform past the one-year mark,” Lyke says. The earliest trials that tested whether the vaccines prompt an immune response are just now reaching that point, and researchers are following up with participants (SN: 7/21/20).

Coronavirus variants could make booster shots more likely.
Even if the protection provided by the immune system is long-lasting, viruses like the coronavirus are adept at evading those responses. Case in point: the emergence of viral variants that can make COVID-19 vaccines less effective than they are against the original version of the virus (SN: 5/11/21).

“I don’t think we would be talking about potentially boosting” if it weren’t for the variants, Ellebedy says. “What we are seeing so far is that the vaccine is really robust, so why would we even need a booster if the virus doesn’t change?”

Vaccinated COVID-19 survivors may be immune for life, according to new research
This article talks about Covid-19 survivors possibly being immune for life! I’d still get a booster though.

I got my first vaccine and had no side effects. Debated whether or not to get it in the first place. Choose not to do second one. After lots of research and praying I decided against it. Please no feedback. It’s MY personal choice. Ty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member