Canada - Remains of children found at former residential schools in Canada, May 2021

By CBS News | June 7, 2021

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is apologizing to Indigenous Canadians after the remains of more than 200 Indigenous children were found last week.

“Saying sorry for the tragedies of the past is not enough, is not enough for the children who died, for the families or for the survivors and communities,” Trudeau said.

The remains were discovered in Kamloops, British Columbia, at what was once Canada’s largest school for Indigenous children. Some of the victims were as young as three.

The Kamloops Indian Residential School used to have at least 51 confirmed deaths on its official record. Garry Gottfriedson, a survivor of the school, told CBS News’ Jericka Duncan that he wasn’t surprised to find out at least 215 more students were found buried there.

“Sometimes kids would not show up in classroom, they would disappear for the next day and we knew that they were gone, but we didn’t know where they were gone,” Gottfriedson said.

He’s among the thousands of Indigenous people legally mandated by the Canadian government to attend so-called “residential schools.” They were set up in the late 19th century and often operated by the Catholic church. The last one closed in 1997.

Crystal Gayle Fraser, a University of Alberta professor, said abuse was rampant at these schools.

“The whole point was to erase their Indigenous identities. These Indian residential schools have often been compared to prisons,” Fraser said.

Gottfriedson recalled some of the abuse, including times where he said he and others were forced not to speak their native language.

“We were never allowed to speak our languages in there. Because of fear of punishment, so those of us that were little were absolutely terrified,” he said.

A Truth and Reconciliation Commission was formed to investigate abuse at the schools. In 2015 it issued a report saying the government committed “cultural genocide.” At least 4,000 students died at these schools of disease, neglect, accidents or abuse.

The Canadian government has paid more than $1.6 billion to survivors of these schools. The commission recommended “94 calls to action” to help the country address its past treatment of Indigenous children.

The heinous discovery happened after a group of Indigenous peoples used radar technology on the ground near the school. But Fraser said the abuse has long been known.

“Indigenous communities and families have been saying these things for decades, often not notified of deaths. Their children never return home, unable to get any sorts of answers,” she said...

Indigenous communities are calling for other school sites to also be searched for remains of school children.

In a statement, the group’s chief wrote that “the true accounting of the missing students will hopefully bring some peace and closure to those lives lost.”

But for Gottfriedson, his time at the Kamloops Indian Residential School still haunts him.

“We were made to feel ugly because we were told we were ugly. We were made to feel like we were nothing but dirt, and that has remained with me to this very, very day is it’s you know, I’ve never felt that I was good enough for anything,” he said...

LINK:
Survivor of school where remains of 215 Canadian Indigenous children were found recounts abuse: “We were told we were ugly”

One of the most heinous things I’ve read is how the older boys would take the beds closest to the door in the children's dormitories, to protect the younger boys from the priests who would show up to choose their victims for the night...

Breek me de bek niet open......How many more "incidents" we have to take in where (f.i.) the catholic institutes are involved.....
Catholic Church sexual abuse cases by country - Wikipedia
Priest Search
Database of Priests Accused of Sexual Abuse

My passed father-in-law was placed in an orphanage run by Catholics and he was abused, including sexually. I will for ever remember his tears, the shame...when he told me his story...already in his 60's...It broke my heart, like they broke him...not to mention the "after effects", he couldn't hug or kiss his own son...was homophobic (my brother is gay) we had many not so nice conversations about that....He was the sweetest person...but he never got rid of the damage done....

Last edited:
Why so many sexual predators at Indian Residential Schools escaped punishment

In 2016, private investigators contracted by the federal government identified 5,315 people — both students and staff — who are believed to have committed sexual abuse at a Canadian Indian Residential School. They weren’t up on criminal charges; they had been tracked down to see if they would be willing to testify at hearings determining compensation for residential school survivors.

Despite this, fewer than 50 people have ever been convicted for a sex crime committed at an Indian Residential School, according to analysis by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Among those handful, almost all are sex offenders who spent mere months in prison for actions that damaged the civic life of whole Indigenous communities.

Last edited:
'I learned how to hate': What it was like to attend Kamloops Indian Residential School

At that same hearing, Jeanette Jules — now a councillor with Tk’emlups te Secwepemc — described a school supervisor going into the girls’ dormitory at night with a flashlight to choose a girl to assault.

'We knew they were dead'
Survivor shares stories from time at B.C. residential school

While Jack was attending St. Eugene’s, he noticed classmates starting to disappear regularly.

“We knew some of them were dead,” Jack says. “Especially after two days, three days, you are always guaranteed that the person would never come back.”

He says he and other students were suspicious about a neighbouring pig farm, which they were told not to go around.

“At night we would see the priest go to the farm, and we knew the priests were feeding the pigs the children,” Jack says. “If we went over there, we would be fed to the pigs.”

“They also had what they called a furnace room. We were told never to go over there and we were not allowed in that area,” he says.

One night, Jack recalls he was playing in the furnace room when he heard voices.

“I peeked around the corner and the priest was yelling at two boys to throw that little child’s body in the furnace,” he says.

“[He] said they had to do that because the child had the devil in them,” Jack says. “He said that burning them up would clear their soul, so the child would be able to go to heaven.

Indian Residential School Survivors Society in British Columbia

Phone Toll-Free: 1-800-721-0066

WE ARE A PROVINCIAL ORGANIZATION WITH A 20-YEAR HISTORY OF PROVIDING SERVICES TO INDIAN RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL SURVIVORS.

Orange Shirt Day

Every child matters
Thursday September 30, 2021

Orange Shirt Day is a legacy of the St. Joseph Mission (SJM) residential school commemoration event held in Williams Lake, BC, Canada, in the spring of 2013. It grew out of Phyllis' story of having her shiny new orange shirt taken away on her first day of school at the Mission, and it has become an opportunity to keep the discussion on all aspects of residential schools happening annually.

Mission
We at Indian Residential School Survivor Society (IRSSS) strive to provide physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual growth, development, and healing through culturally-based values and guiding principles for Survivors, Families, and Communities.

Mandate

To assist First Nation Peoples in British Columbia to recognize and be holistically empowered from the primary and generational effect of the Residential Schools by supporting research, education, awareness, partnerships, and advocating for justice and healing. The Society assists Survivors with counselling, court support, information, referrals, workshops, and more.

Unfortunately, many orphanages, trade schools, reformatories, and hospitals in the early 20th century had cemeteries associated with them. Deaths occurred from a number of different causes - often from diseases that today would be curable or prevented with modern medications.

But in this case, the idea of over 215 graves seems excessive. There is an investigation underway and hopefully some definitive answers will be found.

Many of these children could have died of diseases that had no cures nor vaccines at the time.

They could have had proper burials and wooden crosses that have deteriorated over the decades.

Until the coroners and examination of bodies are complete, we won't know why/when they died.

I think its been very well known with lots of documentation, that many church run (and other) institutions for children were horrific places.

I worked with one lady, not FN, whose son was a truant, sent to reformatory school and after he was released he committed suicide at age 15 due to the abuse he suffered at the hands of the Catholic priests who ran the place.
To die because you skipped classes?? Boggles the mind.

This whole thing is a travesty, until fairly recently, people were aware that children had 'gone missing' from these residential schools.

Many, many of us knew for decades.

''WARNING: This story contains distressing details. The Cowessess First Nation and the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations hold a press conference after they said hundreds of unmarked graves were discovered at the site of the former Marieval Indian Residential School in Saskatchewan.''

Saskatchewan First Nation finds 751 unmarked graves at site of former residential school
image.jpg

The site of the former Marieval Indian Residential School. (CTV News Regina)

''COWESSESS FIRST NATION -- A Saskatchewan First Nation says it has found 751 unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school.

The Cowessess First Nation says ground-penetrating radar recently discovered the graves at the Marieval Indian Residential School.

It says the number is the highest to date found in Canada.

“We always knew that there were graves here,” Cowessess First Nation Chief Cadmus Delorme told a virtual news conference Thursday.

He showed a photo of a grassy field with coloured markers sticking out of the ground.

“The grave site is there and it is real,” he said.

“There are 751 flags.”

Remember, if you are older than 24, you were alive while the last residential school in Canada was open. This is very, very recent history, and the wounds are still fresh and the damage lingers.

We are in a lot of pain right now.

so sorry

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993