WY WY - Cian McLaughlin, 27, hiker, Grand Teton National Park, Jackson, 8 Jun 2021

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Missing Person: Rangers request your assistance in locating Cian McLaughlin. He was last seen on Tuesday, June 8 at 2 p.m. in Jackson, WY.

McLaughlin’s vehicle was located at Lupine Meadows Trailhead in Grand Teton National Park. His planned route is unknown. He could be hiking in the Garnet, Surprise, Amphitheater, Delta, or Taggart Lakes area.

If you have seen Cian or have any information regarding his whereabouts, please contact Teton Interagency Dispatch Center at 307-739-3301.

201398291_4635367136477846_7022656673585722567_n.jpg

Have you seen this man? Officials searching for man who disappeared 5 days ago - East Idaho News

Would be helpful to know what he may have had with him...pack, for example. Obvious he planned a hike, but more than a day hike? There are many backpacking opportunities in this area and around GTNP. Could he just be out on a lengthy adventure?

Would be helpful to know what he may have had with him...pack, for example. Obvious he planned a hike, but more than a day hike? There are many backpacking opportunities in this area and around GTNP. Could he just be out on a lengthy adventure?
I believe any overnight travel in grand Teton would require a permit. I'm sure it happens that people don't get them, but I would hope a seasoned backcountry hiker would follow proper protocol.

I believe any overnight travel in grand Teton would require a permit. I'm sure it happens that people don't get them, but I would hope a seasoned backcountry hiker would follow proper protocol.
Very true. I neglected to think about that. No mention either way in the missing report if he did or did not have a permit. I just know from experience there are many overlapping trails in that area and I have done a few out and back trails, and also a very long loop. The possibility to keep going is definitely there.

Irish press:
Search for Dublin man missing, five days, in Wyoming

On Sunday, June 13, the National Park Services, at Grand Teton National Park, in Wyoming, issues a request for the public’s assistance in locating Cian McLaughlin (27), from Dublin who had not been seen in five days.

The statement read that "Teton Interagency Dispatch Center was notified of a missing person report for McLaughlin on Sunday, June 13, at approximately 7 a.m. by the Teton County Sheriff’s Office. It was believed that McLaughlin intended to go hiking earlier in the week and failed to show up at his place of employment on Thursday, June 10, and was reported missing late Saturday night, June 12.

They added that as McLaughlin's "plans were unclear, anyone who has been traveling in the Teton backcountry since Tuesday, June 8, may have seen McLaughlin. Anyone with information regarding his whereabouts should contact the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch .

Last edited:
Very true. I neglected to think about that. No mention either way in the missing report if he did or did not have a permit. I just know from experience there are many overlapping trails in that area and I have done a few out and back trails, and also a very long loop. The possibility to keep going is definitely there.

Agreed that from the mentioned trailhead, you can go very deep into the mountains!

I see on his FB that he was a snowboard instructor in Jackson this past ski season - so he is likely familiar with GTNP and aware the various risks and dangers. I suspect he has some local, young peers in Jackson that would know which trails were appealing to him even if a specific route wasn't shared.

Sadly, solo hiking is a risk in and of itself and this is not easy terrain. I hope that they can narrow the potential search area and he is located quickly.

I wonder if he had a Camel Back or any water at all? Very concerning!

Also states he was seen on the trail at 2:30 PM on June 8th which means he has been out in the elements for quite a while (I was hoping his trek had started closer to the time he was reported missing). It looks like there have been warm temperatures, but still dipping below freezing at night.

Really hoping a roomate or co-worker can offer the rangers some insights into his typical outings and current state of mind.

Search continues for Dublin man missing in US Rocky Mountains
image.jpg

“Aerial reconnaissance and ground-search operations were conducted in high probability areas in the park on Sunday, June 13th, in search of McLaughlin with no evidence or leads about his whereabouts. Search operations will continue early Monday morning, June 14th,” said the NPS.

In a public appeal, the NPS called on anyone travelling in “backcountry” inside the park since last Tuesday to come forward if they have any information about Mr McLaughlin.

The Dubliner’s Facebook page says he started working at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort last December and that he previously lived in the French ski resort of Chamonix.''

"McLaughlin was last seen wearing a cutoff tank top and shorts (unknown color), a bucket hat, and round sunglasses. He was not wearing a backpack."
Additional information released about missing man in Grand Teton National Park | County 10™

Not wearing a backpack - that is very concerning. So he had nothing with him but the clothes on his back? Oh no :( MOO
If his workplace reported him missing, who reported what he was last wearing? I guess someone who saw the tip-line poster?

jmo

More info in that article posted above: Rangers received updated information from the tip line this morning about missing 27-year-old, Cian McLaughlin. McLaughlin was last seen around 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 8, approximately a half mile from the Lupine Meadows Trailhead, hiking to an unknown destination.

Google Maps

Trails at Lupine Meadows (U.S. National Park Service)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back