SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Legal hunting time for deer is the time between one hour before official sunrise until one hour after official sunset (50-11-710).”

Deer Rules & Regulations | eRegulations

• “On registered properties, feral hogs, coyotes, or armadillos may be hunted at night with artificial lights and nightvision devices using any legal firearm, bow, or crossbow.”
SCDNR - Night Hunting

Deer Hunting season for private land does not begin until August.
Deer Seasons on Private Lands | eRegulations

No mention of the “house party” they attended? I’m trying to go back and read the court docs that Knox shared.

ETA they were: Mallory Beach's family files wrongful death lawsuit against bar, Parker's, homeowners
No mention of the “house party” they attended? I’m trying to go back and read the court docs that Knox shared.

ETA they were: Mallory Beach's family files wrongful death lawsuit against bar, Parker's, homeowners
The house party is the Oyster Roast mentioned in the depo's?

Night shooting? I can’t imagine what Alex Sr. was shooting at 10pm. Certainly not birds or deer. Maybe feral hogs? I am not a hunter but know many who are in this part of the country. AFAIK, solo night shooting is just not something one would expect a lawyer/gentleman farmer to do. I had not been suspicious of him, but this part of the story doesn’t ring true to me.
I have to agree with you on the hunting aspect.
We are hunters and come from a family of hunters and do not hunt after dark, mostly for safety reasons.

It’s strange that Paul isn’t included if he was driving the boat. I guess we will find out why he wasn’t included.
I assumed that including Paul would:
1) delay progress as he would delay due to criminal case
2) undermine argument that the real responsible parties were those over 21 and with deep pockets
3) be more challenging to prove he was driving at impact vs the responsibility of the adults who allowed it to happen regardless of the driver JMO

ETA Mallory’s mom may have thought the other parties would settle. Grotesquely (IMO) they refused.

Last edited:
I assumed that including Paul would:
1) delay progress as he would delay due to criminal case
2) undermine argument that the real responsible parties were those over 21 and with deep pockets
3) be more challenging to prove he was driving at impact vs the responsibility of the adults who allowed it to happen regardless of the driver JMO
#2 is what I think. The only reason I can think of regarding why Paul wasn't named is that if the jury was given the option of finding him liable, they might not hold anyone else (deep pockets) liable. JMO.

I found this and it has some interesting information near the bottom (pages 14 & 15) mentioning reasons for testimony by certain people (including several with last name Murdaugh) on the change of venue request. IMO sheds light on how they were planning on protecting PM (and themselves) in the civil trial. No real smoking gun, just additional info to add to the pile. There are so many layers to this to explore. IMO

https://publicindex.sccourts.org/Ha...379871175050105907177667410111511282831158552

I found this and it has some interesting information near the bottom (pages 14 & 15) mentioning reasons for testimony by certain people (including several with last name Murdaugh) on the change of venue request. IMO sheds light on how they were planning on protecting PM (and themselves) in the civil trial. No real smoking gun, just additional info to add to the pile. There are so many layers to this to explore. IMO

https://publicindex.sccourts.org/Ha...379871175050105907177667410111511282831158552
Just FYI - links to SC court records don’t usually work. To share, we have to give instructions to look it up. Or we can screenshot in private conversations. JMO

I don't think the quote is taken out of context at all. The attorney giving the eulogy was saying that RM III, who was 81 and already ill at the time, "chose" to go to be with Paul and Maggie after their unexpected deaths. It implies that he was in ill health and that he himself felt it was his time, given his grief over the circumstances.

I don't know whether people can consciously "choose" the time that they go when they are old and sick but it is a common sentiment when one or more family members die in succession.

I agree with you. I think this is what they meant in the statement.

Just anecdotally, as someone who has worked with dying people, those who are terminally ill do often seem to have some control over when they die, related to their desires or fears. A lot of time they “wait” for a certain loved one to see them one last time before they go. Same kind of phenomenon when people who have been married a really long time die in quick succession. It’s one of those kind of sweet things about the human psyche.

I agree with you. I think this is what they meant in the statement.

Just anecdotally, as someone who has worked with dying people, those who are terminally ill do often seem to have some control over when they die, related to their desires or fears. A lot of time they “wait” for a certain loved one to see them one last time before they go. Same kind of phenomenon when people who have been married a really long time die in quick succession. It’s one of those kind of sweet things about the human psyche.
Agree with this but I will also add: I am skeptical that anyone would tell a dying man in ICU about this tragedy. If he knew and was comforted by it, I think it was on another level. JMO: People in ICU are not typically given this kind of info and we know that SC politician said he was in ICU as of Tuesday. And died at home by Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members