IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a very good question. I also think he pounced, living only in the moment and with alcohol playing a role. If he's experienced (which I think he is), he knew he had a short window of time before the alarm went out. He didn't realize his victim's mom was ON IT and knew her daughter was missing very quickly. I think he expected a bit more time.

But where to put her? I don't know if he even had a car? Would have "displayed" her outdoors in the neighborhood during the night, perhaps? Could he be that brazen? IDK....haven't thought about it until now.

Part of me thinks he doesn't really care that he was caught and therefore didn't plan ahead.

jmo

I tend to agree. I think he would have attempted the hide her body nearby, like what happened to Faye Marie Swetlik in SC, I think it was the same type of deranged impulsivity (to the point of overriding better judgement and awareness of potential consequences) driving this crime as that one.

Per my notes & I bolded some hearings.

4/26/21: Information Filed: Habitual offender. Probable cause affidavit filed. Notice of exclusion of confidential info. Advisement of Rights conducted. 4/27/21 Update: Order on Initial Hearing. Defendant appears in custody. Judicial Officer: Sarah M. Wyatt-MAG & DA Patrick K. Harrington. No contact order issued. Indigent Counsel appointed at County expense. Defendant’s counsel will be Shay Justin Hughes. $500K Surety & $50K cash bond. 4/28/21: Probable cause found. 4/29/21: Motion to continue Omnibus hearing filed. 5/4/21: Motion to continue-granted. Next pretrial hearing on 7/16/21 & trial set to begin on 8/10/21. 5/10/21: Motion to amend Count 6: Battery, serious bodily injury. 5/12/21: Motion to amend Count 6-granted. 5/14/21: Discovery disclosure. Advisement of rights conducted. 5/17/21 Update: Initial hearing conducted on Amended Count 6. Jury trial originally scheduled on 8/10/21 was rescheduled to 8/17/21 @ 8:30am; reason-Court's own motion. 5/21/21: Defense filed motion for change of venue; defendant's memorandum regarding change of venue. Defendant's exhibits 1-18 filed.

Thank you @Niner! I guess the media just isn't covering this one? I am surprised given all the speculation.

Thank you @Niner! I guess the media just isn't covering this one? I am surprised given all the speculation.
Yeah, I would think we would have at least heard if there were any search warrants or if LE took any evidence out of his home.

Does anyone remember how long LE investigated any of the other suspects or when they were cleared? All I remember was a lot of speculation. Not that we know he's an official suspect, but I'm wondering if LE will ever say anything more about him.

I'm guessing they will make a statement if there is a major turn in the investigation or when there's an arrest. That could be six months from now or six years. I'm just hoping it won't be never.

Please, what does it mean? I'm translating "venue" with location. What might be exhibits for that?

Sorry - I have no access to the court site - you'll have ask who ever posts here on the court items. But I do know "venue" is change of location. And usually the court site doesn't really tell you "what" the exhibits are.
I'll go ahead and tag @FrostedGlass - she helps me on the Indianan cases.

There hasn't been anything posted about the change of venue yet. From what I've seen in the live streams, the exhibits are pieces of evidence or pictures of those pieces. Sometimes they show them on the live stream and sometimes they don't.

Updates:
06/04/2021 = Discovery Filed
Supplemental Discovery 6.4.21
Filed By: State of Indiana

06/11/2021 = Status Conference
Session: 06/11/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

07/16/2021 = Pretrial Conference
Session: 07/16/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

08/17/2021 = Jury Trial
Session: 08/10/2021 8:30 AM, Rescheduled
Session: 08/17/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P
Session: 08/18/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

Last edited:
Please, what does it mean? I'm translating "venue" with location. What might be exhibits for that?

"Exhibit" is what they call pieces of evidence officially entered for a particular trial or hearing. It's the stuff that supports your side of the case. So an exhibit for a change of venue could be newspaper articles or videos from the local area that display hostility to LV and CD, or something like that.

They're submitted now so the judge can look at them ahead of the hearing. In my experience, nothing is usually released before the hearing and might not be after. It's mostly procedural.

"Exhibit" is what they call pieces of evidence officially entered for a particular trial or hearing. It's the stuff that supports your side of the case. So an exhibit for a change of venue could be newspaper articles or videos from the local area that display hostility to LV and CD, or something like that.

They're submitted now so the judge can look at them ahead of the hearing. In my experience, nothing is usually released before the hearing and might not be after. It's mostly procedural.

Exactly what I think too, the exhibits feature publications or SM which are presented on the premise he cannot get a fair trial. Even if the Judge doesn’t grant a change of venue, this motion supports a possible future request for appeal of a guilty ruling. All the course of a competent legal defense - throwing spaghetti at the wall hoping something will stick.

JMO

08/17/2021 = Jury Trial

08/31/2021 = Hearing on Motion for Change of Venue
Session: 08/31/2021 11:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

Yes. Just for "Hmmmm" purposes, here are Libby, one of JBC's blood-crying tats, and Alicia juxtaposed.

View attachment 299015

A perfect additional element here would be if the ME had found strangulation marks on Alicia, but he didn't. Drowning, head trauma, and an incised neck wound.

Alicia Hummel

The tat on the arm looks like the Alicia photo, but reversed. MOO I don't have skills to "flip" it left to right to more compare. MOO. Perhaps someone else has that skill and can repost comparison?

Source of photo below, from your link on May 31st... I'm responding to (for some reason, doesn't expand in this post to full screen as does in your post)

272199-00234907d05cb2ff998d08be9cc3376c.jpg

ETA: I think this one does... even to the number of teeth showing in the smile of Alicia.

libby-tatoo-alicia-collage-jpg.299015

Last edited:
The tat on the arm looks like the Alicia photo, but reversed. MOO I don't have skills to "flip" it left to right to more compare. MOO. Perhaps someone else has that skill and can repost comparison?

Source of photo below, from your link on May 31st... I'm responding to (for some reason, doesn't expand in this post to full screen as does in your post)

272199-00234907d05cb2ff998d08be9cc3376c.jpg

ETA: I think this one does... even to the number of teeth showing in the smile of Alicia.

libby-tatoo-alicia-collage-jpg.299015
I don't think the tattoo has anything to do with the murders. The smiling/ crying tattoo represents hardships in life, especially for people who spent time in prison. It's also popular among gang members and can mean, laugh now and cry later, or live life in the moment and deal with the consequences later. (I think Chadwell liked to portray himself as a tough guy.) It basically means "two faces," one of happiness and one of sorrow.

He also may have had the tatto done to commemorate the loss of his mother. She was only 16 when she had him and according to his FB the image in the tatto resembles her as well.

I also don't think if he had committed murder before, he'd be wearing the evidence on his arm, let alone dropping clues on FB about RR trestles or lil' redheads.

IMO

08/17/2021 = Jury Trial

08/31/2021 = Hearing on Motion for Change of Venue
Session: 08/31/2021 11:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

I have him having a pretrial hearing on 7/16. And how come there is a motion for change of venue hearing on 8/31 when the trial starts on 8/17??? Kind of late to change the venue if the trial has already happened - ??

I have him having a pretrial hearing on 7/16. And how come there is a motion for change of venue hearing on 8/31 when the trial starts on 8/17??? Kind of late to change the venue if the trial has already happened - ??
I think the trial date will be continued; they just haven't gotten to that point yet. Have we ever had an F1 go to trial in under one year? I know it seems like a long time but it's only been 2 months since he was charged.

I think the trial date will be continued; they just haven't gotten to that point yet. Have we ever had an F1 go to trial in under one year? I know it seems like a long time but it's only been 2 months since he was charged.

I know it was pretty quick that they already had a trial date set for him when he had only been charged a couple of months before. I thought that was kind of weird! :)

I know it was pretty quick that they already had a trial date set for him when he had only been charged a couple of months before. I thought that was kind of weird! :)
Since I've been watching cases, I think they automatically set a trial date during their first court hearing. After the first one, they either continue them or cancel them. Covid has the courts pretty messed up so I'm not sure what happens during normal times.

I thought it was weird too, but I've been so happy thinking this will be over and done with soon....now I'm thinking it will drag on just like every other case. Grrr. Was really hoping for a quick resolution.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member