VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

Thinking about Katelin this morning. In 2015, police said they had corroborated the ex-stepdad's story that he dropped her off up at Springfield Mall (1hr+ north of Spotsylvania/Fredericksburg). In 2016, they stated that they no longer believe she left Fredericksburg. That alone should have been enough to put some serious pressure on the stepdad. Yet here we are, no new info and still no Katelin.

Thinking about Katelin this morning. In 2015, police said they had corroborated the ex-stepdad's story that he dropped her off up at Springfield Mall (1hr+ north of Spotsylvania/Fredericksburg). In 2016, they stated that they no longer believe she left Fredericksburg. That alone should have been enough to put some serious pressure on the stepdad. Yet here we are, no new info and still no Katelin.
Most definitely. Did they give any information about how they corroborated his story in 2015? It's a bit strange that they would make a statement of that nature and then walk it back IMO

Spotsylvania mom still determined to find daughter missing since 2015

Lisa Sullivan’s latest attempt to locate her 19-year-old daughter was a bright yellow billboard bearing her image placed at a busy King George County intersection.

She believes her former husband, James Branton, was probably the last person to see her daughter, Katelin Akens, on Dec. 5, 2015. She also believes Branton has additional information he still has not shared with authorities.

“I was hoping [the billboard] would put him on a guilt trip, seeing her face every day,” said Sullivan. “He needs to talk; he needs to come forward. He’s got to know where she is.”

For the last three months, the billboard bearing Katelin’s image was in plain view where State Route 206, or Dahlgren Road, meets U.S. 301. That billboard came down recently, but is going back up nearby. Sullivan believes Branton, who works at Naval Support Facility Dahlgren, will continue to see the billboard every day on his way to work, and so will the people he works with.

“His co-workers would know,” said Sullivan. “I was hoping people in his office would whisper and talk, make him feel uncomfortable.”

....Snipped by me....

Branton told Sullivan he dropped her off at the Springfield Metro station.

“She was going to take the Metro to the airport since there is a stop at Reagan [National Airport],” Branton replied.
Eight minutes after Branton’s message, Sullivan received another text from Katelin’s phone that read, “I’m at the airport. Battery dying so I won’t be able to text for a bit.”

But investigators later said the young woman never made it to the airport, and her phone never left the Fredericksburg region.
“I can tell you, her phone was never there at 2 o’clock,” said Spotsylvania Detective Sharon Williams. “Her phone was in Fredericksburg; it was in Spotsy, and it never went farther north than Stafford.”

Williams said investigators also examined surveillance camera footage in hopes of finding additional clues connected to the case.

“We pulled video from the Springfield Mall, from the Metro station and from the airport, and Katelin’s not on any of them,” said Williams.

Later that same day, at 7:15 p.m., Sullivan received another text from Katelin’s phone that read, “I’m staying with a friend. I need some time alone.”

“Call me,” Sullivan responded. “I am very worried about you. Please call me.”

Two days later, a worker found Katelin’s blue suitcase in a ditch along River Road in Stafford County. The suitcase contained Katelin’s wallet and identification card, but her clothing and high school diploma were missing.

At first, Branton cooperated with investigators, who later searched his home and seized his cellular phone.

“He provided us his timeline of events, which also does not match up to the cell tower information that we have received,” said Williams.

But Williams said Branton eventually decided not to cooperate any further. He also refused to turn over the password to his phone and declined to take a polygraph test, she said.

...more at link

It bothers me that it's on the mom to continue to exert this pressure. What's stopping LE from exerting this pressure? Aren't the known facts, the phone pings, the timeline mismatches, the found suitcase, enough to push this guy harder? Also, I'd be very uncomfortable working side-by-side with this person knowing what this article has put forward.

Spotsylvania mom still determined to find daughter missing since 2015

Lisa Sullivan’s latest attempt to locate her 19-year-old daughter was a bright yellow billboard bearing her image placed at a busy King George County intersection.

She believes her former husband, James Branton, was probably the last person to see her daughter, Katelin Akens, on Dec. 5, 2015. She also believes Branton has additional information he still has not shared with authorities.

“I was hoping [the billboard] would put him on a guilt trip, seeing her face every day,” said Sullivan. “He needs to talk; he needs to come forward. He’s got to know where she is.”

For the last three months, the billboard bearing Katelin’s image was in plain view where State Route 206, or Dahlgren Road, meets U.S. 301. That billboard came down recently, but is going back up nearby. Sullivan believes Branton, who works at Naval Support Facility Dahlgren, will continue to see the billboard every day on his way to work, and so will the people he works with.

“His co-workers would know,” said Sullivan. “I was hoping people in his office would whisper and talk, make him feel uncomfortable.”

....Snipped by me....

Branton told Sullivan he dropped her off at the Springfield Metro station.

“She was going to take the Metro to the airport since there is a stop at Reagan [National Airport],” Branton replied.
Eight minutes after Branton’s message, Sullivan received another text from Katelin’s phone that read, “I’m at the airport. Battery dying so I won’t be able to text for a bit.”

But investigators later said the young woman never made it to the airport, and her phone never left the Fredericksburg region.
“I can tell you, her phone was never there at 2 o’clock,” said Spotsylvania Detective Sharon Williams. “Her phone was in Fredericksburg; it was in Spotsy, and it never went farther north than Stafford.”

Williams said investigators also examined surveillance camera footage in hopes of finding additional clues connected to the case.

“We pulled video from the Springfield Mall, from the Metro station and from the airport, and Katelin’s not on any of them,” said Williams.

Later that same day, at 7:15 p.m., Sullivan received another text from Katelin’s phone that read, “I’m staying with a friend. I need some time alone.”

“Call me,” Sullivan responded. “I am very worried about you. Please call me.”

Two days later, a worker found Katelin’s blue suitcase in a ditch along River Road in Stafford County. The suitcase contained Katelin’s wallet and identification card, but her clothing and high school diploma were missing.

At first, Branton cooperated with investigators, who later searched his home and seized his cellular phone.

“He provided us his timeline of events, which also does not match up to the cell tower information that we have received,” said Williams.

But Williams said Branton eventually decided not to cooperate any further. He also refused to turn over the password to his phone and declined to take a polygraph test, she said.

...more at link
Thank you for posting this. I hope this has LE thinking! Mom spelled out some great reasons LE should be taking a much harder look at JB. The evidence is there. It's been there all along! I have no idea what is stopping LE from moving on this. It boggles the mind IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting this. I hope this has LE thinking! Mom spelled out some great reasons LE should be taking a much harder look at JB. The evidence is there. I have no idea what is stopping LE from moving on this. It boggles the mind IMO.

I agree, but we all knew the evidence against Josh Powell and the police couldn't do anything. Unfortunately, silence is sometimes the key to thwarting any progress from the police it seems. This case makes me terribly sad!

Just checking in to see if there had been any updates....sigh. I keep going back to how afterwards everyone she knew was calling her phone to check on her....but him. He knows exactly what happened to her. He's too much of a sociopath to have even pretended to act like he was concerned.

The 14 June article above is the very latest I can find on Katelin's case. I was just through that area near the Navy facility at Dahlgren and I didn't see any billboards. And I was sitting in a 30 minute back-up down the highway from the bridge so I had plenty of time to read any billboards.

Can't believe this case is so dead in the water.
Incredible how mum and tight-lipped LE has been as well.
When KA first disappeared way back in 2015 many of us here really felt like there'd be at least some kind of resolution in due time.
Not so, sadly.

This is one of those handful of cases which really, really bother me.

Last edited:
Note to self: Steadfast refusal to cooperate and calm composure is apparently enough to get away with a crime if you hide the evidence well enough.

It honestly just does not make sense the step father never went back to work for 6 months even though he said that's why he had to drop her off so early? He did not go back that day and he did not even return to the company period. It makes not sense at all.

Can we just talk about the fact that the Stepfather had two homes that he owned at the time of the disappearance and the police could only search one property because his mother that lives in the other home is considered a tenant... Many mothers will do anything thing for their children... Something is off here. That property needs to be searched.

Do we know the back story of the relationship between the stepfather and Katelin? Do we know how he feels about Katelin being queer? Not an accusation just a point of curiosity. I would like to know if he has ever expressed his views on this topic.

I just do not believe she would have left her family even if she wanted to leave her fiance?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back