SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
See the article above by "The Daily Mail Online".

It states that "Paul and mom, Margaret had been shot multiple times with their time of death placed between 9p.m. and 9:30p.m.

"Richard Alex, Paul's dad and Margaret's husband found them at 10:00p.m."

Later in the article it says, "Sources said he told cops he had been out shooting and returned to the grim scene."

Sounds like the dad literally just dodged the bullets.

In this MSN.com article, it state that he told cops he had been out at the time of the shooting.

Paul Murdaugh, mother found shot to death outside their Colleton Co. home

Interesting. If this happened they may have come in on foot? Now I wonder where the likely entry and exit point would be for someone not taking the main entrance in. Is there more than one way to enter the property or maybe the suspects used ATV's? I need to look at the aerials closer.

It looks to me like the house is a good distance from the outbuildings. The outbuildings, which I assume include the dog kennel, are close to the street and entrance to the property. The house is way in the back.

Maybe mom went with son to feed/care for dogs and they were ambushed by someone lying in wait.

ETA: OR maybe they were up by the big house. I just read this from a People article:

“At 10:07 p.m., Maggie's husband, Alex, called 911 to say that he returned to his family's property and found his wife and son "shot outside the residence," South Carolina Law Enforcement Division spokesperson Tommy Crosby announced in a release Tuesday afternoon.” Why Were a 'Loving' Mother and Son from a S.C. Family Dynasty Murdered on Their 1,770-Acre Property?

Attachments

• 8817CB09-FD3E-4551-9A27-A95DED17D7D1.jpeg
    8817CB09-FD3E-4551-9A27-A95DED17D7D1.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I'm leaning toward revenge killing - directed at PM or AM with MM killed as the witness to PM's shooting.
PM was the target if revenge was the motive due to Mallory Beach's death and the wheels of justice not turning in the right direction or AM was the target if revenge was the motive from someone AM helped convict during his time as a prosecutor and possibly was released from prison recently. AM just happened to make it home a little after the shootings.

Not pointing any fingers, but I'd bet most if not all of PM's friends have/had been out to the hunting camp and know their way around. Not so likely so a former inmate looking for revenge ...

JMO

I'm leaning toward revenge killing - directed at PM or AM with MM killed as the witness to PM's shooting.
PM was the target if revenge was the motive due to Mallory Beach's death and the wheels of justice not turning in the right direction or AM was the target if revenge was the motive from someone AM helped convict during his time as a prosecutor and possibly was released from prison recently. AM just happened to make it home a little after the shootings.

Not pointing any fingers, but I'd bet most if not all of PM's friends have/had been out to the hunting camp and know their way around. Not so likely so a former inmate looking for revenge ...

JMO

Maybe he was planning to make one of the other people on that boat trip take the fall. Pretty sure that's a strong enough motive...

SLED update on Murdaugh case June 15:

On June 7, 2021 at 10:07 PM, Alex Murdaugh called 911. During that call, Murdaugh indicated to the Colleton County Dispatch Center that he had returned to family property located at 4147 Moselle Road in Islandton, South Carolina to find the bodies of his wife Margaret “Maggie” Murdaugh and his son Paul Murdaugh shot outside of the residence on the property.
Colleton County Sheriff’s deputies immediately responded to the location where it appeared that Paul and Maggie had both sustained multiple gunshot wounds. The Sheriff’s Office secured the scene and contacted SLED at 10:28 PM to request SLED’s assistance in conducting this double murder investigation.…

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

Attachments

• mediareleases.aspx.pdf
    450.4 KB · Views: 13
Murdered South Carolina scion had a 'drunk alter ego Timmy' and stripped before fatal boat crash | Daily Mail Online

The information about Paul’s drinking habits seem to indicate IMO, that even his closest friends believed he had a real ongoing problem with alcohol. We are concentrating naturally on the charges against him for the girls death, <modsnip> It could have been some small encounter that set this in motion.

I wonder where he was the night before?

Considering this is such a high profile family, and the personification of ‘the law’ in that area… I wonder how the family was dealing with his alcohol issues, if at all ? Did they ignore it? Believe he’d grow out of it? <modsnip>

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
What if this murder was actually for the mother and wife and the son was collateral damage? So much bad press swirling around the son that most people would think it's a revenge killing and never suspect someone wanted her out of the picture. (For whatever reason) just speculating.

What if this murder was actually for the mother and wife and the son was collateral damage? So much bad press swirling around the son that most people would think it's a revenge killing and never suspect someone wanted her out of the picture. (For whatever reason) just speculating.
I 100% agree. We know nothing.
While I think the ego related murders would be more likely to be directed at the son, that certainly leaves financial motives and other potential motives that could be directed at his mom.

Last edited:
Maybe he was planning to make one of the other people on that boat trip take the fall. Pretty sure that's a strong enough motive...

This is plausible IMO based on the many pages of SC Court docs of statements. The LEOs consistently asked who was driving the boat and if the M family could cast doubt on who was behind the wheel at the time of the crash, well that’s an entire new set of drama. IMHO

This is plausible IMO based on the many pages of SC Court docs of statements. The LEOs consistently asked who was driving the boat and if the M family could cast doubt on who was behind the wheel at the time of the crash, well that’s an entire new set of drama. IMHO

Weren't there 7-8 folks on the boat ? Might be a tough sell even if most of them had a few too many drinks that night.

Good question
the ONLY reason I can see her being taken out of the picture for any future possessions would be that the estate land they were murdered on is in HER name.
Otherwise, I think it mainly think it was all about PM

Good question
the ONLY reason I can see her being taken out of the picture for any future possessions would be that the estate land they were murdered on is in HER name.
Otherwise, I think it mainly think it was all about PM

I wonder why the deed appears to have originally been joint, but in 2016 was transferred into her name only? The sum referenced is Five dollars and love and affection.
https://search.colletondeeds.com/vi...MDE2LzEyMjgvMjAxNjAwMDY3OTc1LnRpZg==&type=pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

June 15, 2021

tcrosby@sled.sc.gov
(803) 896-8396

SLED UPDATE ON STATUS OF ONGOING MURDAUGH DOUBLE MURDER INVESTIGATION

On June 7, 2021 at 10:07 PM, Alex Murdaugh called 911. During that call, Murdaugh
indicated to the Colleton County Dispatch Center that he had returned to family property
located at 4147 Moselle Road in Islandton, South Carolina to find the bodies of his wife
Margaret “Maggie” Murdaugh and his son Paul Murdaugh shot outside of the residence on
the property.

Colleton County Sheriff’s deputies immediately responded to the location where it
appeared that Paul and Maggie had both sustained multiple gunshot wounds. The Sheriff’s
Office secured the scene and contacted SLED at 10:28 PM to request SLED’s assistance
in conducting this double murder investigation.

SLED Lowcountry Regional agents were dispatched at that time and began arriving on
scene at 11:47 PM. SLED agents began working with the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office
immediately to evaluate the crime scene and take the lead on this investigation. SLED
Crime Scene agents began arriving on scene at 12:07 AM. Crime scene personnel worked
throughout the morning of June 8 to collect evidence and submitted it to SLED’s forensic
lab, which immediately began processing and testing the evidence.

SLED agents have been working the case continuously since arriving on scene with the
assistance of the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office deputies and others, and that work
continues. We continue to pursue all leads and the investigation is certainly active and
ongoing at this time. We will continue to submit all forensic evidence to SLED’s forensic
lab.

SLED is committed to conducting a professional and thorough criminal investigation to
bring justice in the deaths of Paul and Maggie. SLED is further committed to transparency
and will release any additional information, including additional information provided
during the 911 call, at the appropriate time. However, we cannot and will not do anything
that could jeopardize the integrity of this investigation or that would violate the due process
afforded to all in our constitutional system of justice.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member