TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, murdered, Scurry County, Dec 2010 *Arrest in 2021, released in 2023* #4

I wish I knew. Possibly from clothing? I don't remember what clothing was with her body.
There were some remnants of clothing but most definitely skeletal remains.If my memory serves me right ( have no link) it is way back in the archives the man that found her knew immediately who
he had found as he remembered the description of her clothing when she went missing. Things are very close to the vest IMO understanding this is still a ongoing investigation. JMHO perhaps more arrests on the horizon. May be the reason for no press conference as of yet. Keep in mind all parties scattered to the wind including Billie Dunn , the house was demolished after HDunn disappeared and there is nothing left but a empty lot. ( not sure on the time line I would guess less than 2 years after Hailey disappeared) There have been rumors that Shawn was doing his dirty work via internet chats etc. He has remained less than 35 miles from the home where he and BDunn were living when Hailey disappeared. This is of late a Tri-County situation of the 32nd Judicial Court. The Court covers Mitchell County where she went missing from, Scurry County where her body was found with only leaving Fisher County in the 32 nd Judicial County Court where the district court is located. IMOO they are working out logistics. Keep in mind this is very rural West Texas.

Last edited:
I thought, IIRC, that they couldn't ultimately charge him with the child *advertiser censored* because it was found on grandma's computer---even though he was the one who used it the most....the computer was bought by her.

They already had his DNA? Remember that warrant back in the day, we went around and around about what all they wanted from 'his person' and suspected it included photos.
Remember he went to his work place early that morning and turned in his uniform jumpsuit! IMO that piece of clothing has been in custody all this time, was it tested for DNA Shawn and Hailey’s nobody knows until the AA is completed and made available. This Mr. Mask may have confessed to somebody online and Hello!

Remember he went to his work place early that morning and turned in his uniform jumpsuit! IMO that piece of clothing has been in custody all this time, was it tested for DNA Shawn and Hailey’s nobody knows until the AA is completed and made available. This Mr. Mask may have confessed to somebody online and Hello!
The PI maintains a fb page, where she posted certain things which were uncovered. Apparently Mr. Mask still has certain things he likes to do online.

The coveralls, yes much was made about that being the reason he made an appearance at work that morning.

I like @Hatch's idea on the silence from LE, an additional arrest would be right on track.

Thank Heaven. I wonder how much this arrest is based on new evidence and how much it's due to someone having the courage to go ahead with a case that mostly circumstantial and common sense. I also wonder what DNA evidence has come to light that wouldn't be explained by the victim and the perpetrator living in the same home. I've also always thought someone else was directly involved in the murder beyond covering up and making false statements to LE.

There were some remnants of clothing but most definitely skeletal remains.If my memory serves me right ( have no link) it is way back in the archives the man that found her knew immediately who
he had found as he remembered the description of her clothing when she went missing. Things are very close to the vest IMO understanding this is still a ongoing investigation. JMHO perhaps more arrests on the horizon. May be the reason for no press conference as of yet. Keep in mind all parties scattered to the wind including Billie Dunn , the house was demolished after HDunn disappeared and there is nothing left but a empty lot. ( not sure on the time line I would guess less than 2 years after Hailey disappeared) There have been rumors that Shawn was doing his dirty work via internet chats etc. He has remained less than 35 miles from the home where he and BDunn were living when Hailey disappeared. This is of late a Tri-County situation of the 32nd Judicial Court. The Court covers Mitchell County where she went missing from, Scurry County where her body was found with only leaving Fisher County in the 32 nd Judicial County Court where the district court is located. IMOO they are working out logistics. Keep in mind this is very rural West Texas.
Scurry County is where this case died a slow death. You do remember all the jurisdictional football right? Why is it suddenly back in the hands of the 32nd District?

Took them to work thinking they would be mixed with the others to be cleaned, but they were able to retrieve them before that happened.

I thought, IIRC, that they couldn't ultimately charge him with the child *advertiser censored* because it was found on grandma's computer---even though he was the one who used it the most....the computer was bought by her.
Well, that was unfortunate, if that is the case. Poor grandma.

That could explain why they were unable to get a DNA sample. I'm sure he wasn't about to offer it up willingly.

Y ou are correct!The issue was it was not child *advertiser censored* but bestiality found on memory cards at Billie's ,and that was not illegal in TX . I think grandma's pc had child *advertiser censored* and that they could not tie to Shawn . Later Mitchell county said they had no evidence of SA having child *advertiser censored* . I do not know if it was tricky wording based on jurisdiction and slick cop answers or on facts.

So, did LE show SA the search warrant and ask for a sample of DNA, or would they have gotten it the sneaky way, unknown to him at the time? If he had to give a DNA sample, he's had some right uncomfortable days waiting for the axe to fall. If he didn't know about a secret sample, then he had a big shock when he was arrested. I don't know which situation would be worse on him. But, anyway, as long as they got him!!!! Good old DNA!

So, did LE show SA the search warrant and ask for a sample of DNA, or would they have gotten it the sneaky way, unknown to him at the time? If he had to give a DNA sample, he's had some right uncomfortable days waiting for the axe to fall. If he didn't know about a secret sample, then he had a big shock when he was arrested. I don't know which situation would be worse on him. But, anyway, as long as they got him!!!! Good old DNA!
They took his DNA a long time ago, Like hours after she went missing. I think this arrest of Shawn is because someone who he knows ,has started to talk.

I am curious about the DNA though. Even if they found his DNA on her clothing with her remains, won't the defense just say she lived in same house w/him, so it proves nothing?

What DNA could they have that proves he was the killer?

Ultimately the best DNA proof is probably impossible because the poor child was just bones when she was recovered. :(

I am NOT questioning his guilt---just wondering what proof they can offer at trial.

Snipped:

It was not until Tuesday, June 15, 2021 the 32nd Judicial District Attorney in Sweetwater confirmed Adkins’ arrest was directly connected to Hailey Dunn’s death.

The office now says no additional details will be released directly to the public. Information is being withheld until it can be presented in court.

No dates have been given on that.

~~~ End of Snip ~~~

Source: KCBD (NBC)- Lubbock, TX -- Updated: Jun. 15, 2021 at 5:48 PM CDT

Timeline: What led up to Hailey Dunn case arrest

There could be lots of reasons DNA had to be re-obtained, though it is infuriating.

The first sample may have been compromised in some way- either through physically handling it, OR some sort of paperwork error- it wasn’t collected properly, it wasn’t stored properly, the lab damaged the sample, the sample was mishandled or sat in an unsecured area before processing... all which would have left it potentially thrown out of court at the last minute, and that would have walked away free and unable to be tried again for the crime.

With all the back and forth between jurisdictions, double the above chances to multiple departments and people handling the evidence.

There’s been discussion about connection to LE initially going soft on SA because of dubious personal/family connections, right? That could fit with the above... though I’m not making any type of negative inference, I’m simply thinking out loud about ANY possibility. “Whoops! Somebody took a coffee break and filed something away without signing it or storing it in the right spot by accident! Now it’s compromised!”

Obviously, there is a clear reason they figured out that they had to re-obtain that DNA to dot their “i”s and cross their “t”s. We’ll find out why, eventually. It resulted in nailing him for arrest once and for all, thank God. It has taken FAR TOO LONG. That, everyone can agree!

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back