TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, murdered, Scurry County, Dec 2010 *Arrest in 2021, released in 2023* #4

Hearing about the arrest in this case brought me back to Websleuths. It’s literally been ten years.

After following the Caylee Anthony case, reading every piece of evidence, interview transcript, SW, AW... I mean everything- and then watching the trial live daily, and then that shameful, revolting verdict that let a murderer walk free- I had to leave. Then the Shaniya Davis case. I could not stomach the thought of another killer living it up while an innocent child was treated like their life was worthless.

I want to see Hailey’s murderer fry for this crime. I am not ashamed to say it.

I agree with the post about the DNA originally taken may have been compromised, so to keep him from walking they got a new sample to ensure the lawyers couldn't get it thrown out.

My question is what did they find his DNA on? It had to be a significant piece of evidence. Her clothes that were found, the coveralls, the sofa, the sheets that were taken, maybe they have the actual weapon that was used.

Well, in that case maybe the sample was lost or destroyed along the way. I didn't realize it was confirmed that he gave one voluntarily.
There are many possibilities relating to why they obtained a second DNA sample, it could be that there were issues at the first lab (which has happened before) or because the sample and testing was many years old the DA simply wanted a confirmation sample.

I am curious about the DNA though. Even if they found his DNA on her clothing with her remains, won't the defense just say she lived in same house w/him, so it proves nothing?

The DNA itself is not the lynchpin, it is the source of the sample...ie: Blood, Saliva, Semen etc. and from what clothing, such as undergarments.

I agree with the post about the DNA originally taken may have been compromised, so to keep him from walking they got a new sample to ensure the lawyers couldn't get it thrown out.

My question is what did they find his DNA on? It had to be a significant piece of evidence. Her clothes that were found, the coveralls, the sofa, the sheets that were taken, maybe they have the actual weapon that was used.

You're right, getting a new sample which was properly handled and will stand up in court is smart. What his DNA was found on will be interesting. Hopefully it will be something which couldn't be explained by living in the same house.

either: The Southwest Institute of Forensic Science in Dallas, DPS crime lab, or UNT. Since there were changes in the CPI method in Texas after the first test, that is likely the reason for the second sample.

Thanks, a change in testing methodology makes sense.

Hailey's remains went to UNT, and DPS is making statements about SA's recent DNA sample. I was just wondering if it had something to do with lab integrity, testing protocol, or sample criteria.

A different Texas DNA lab fail has been making headlines for several years now.
Hundreds of DNA criminal cases from shuttered Austin Police DNA lab under review | KXAN Austin

Yes, they must have DNA from the initial crime scene, or where they believe the crime took place. It just seems like they would have connected it to him long ago. There must be some other evidence discovered recently that finally allowed LE to get a warrant for his DNA.

Or, maybe because of recent technology in DNA testing, they were able to develop a profile taken from evidence they already had. Imo
That letter the PI published indicates there were some shady doings going on behind the scenes. Like you stated, unless there was a major new evidence find, they should have been able to nail him with DNA years ago. It’s very hinky.

The Rangers interviewed several people, and Adkins was identified as the suspect in Dunn’s slaying.

A search warrant was obtained to collect Adkin’s DNA.

After samples were collected on June 13, an arrest warrant was obtained and Adkins was arrested and taken to the Howard County Jail in Big Spring. He was then transferred to the Mitchell County Detention Center. Bond was set at $2 million. The investigation into the case continues.

DPS Releases Official Statement Regarding the Hailey Dunn Case

So June 13th is a Sunday- did the Texas Rangers follow Shawn around somewhere to get that DNA? I'm loving the idea that he had no clue they were following him around. Pretty Quick turn-around on the results, looks like they may have Rapid DNA analysis? Overview | Department of Public Safety

By the afternoon of June 14th, Shawn is arrested and booked on murder charges :D

I wonder who was interviewed?

Not to be morbid, but when it is skeletal remains, would there still be fingernails?
She wasn't found for 3 years, so maybe somebody can tell us whether that is possible - it seems doubtful to me. I was thinking that they had DNA from the house - per Tricia's interview with Billie Dunn (which she played yesterday on the Websleuths live chat), I think they got the sheets from Hailey's bed (among other things). Of course it would be expected for Shawn's DNA to be in the house, but there still might be some DNA from that search that they could say should not have been there.

After Hailey was found, Billie posted on Facebook that Shawn had scratches on his hand the day Hailey went missing.

Maybe LE was able to recover SA’s DNA from under Haileys fingernails?

IIRC, only a skull, tooth, and femur were found of poor Hailey. I don’t believe they have her fingernails.

Hearing about the arrest in this case brought me back to Websleuths. It’s literally been ten years.

After following the Caylee Anthony case, reading every piece of evidence, interview transcript, SW, AW... I mean everything- and then watching the trial live daily, and then that shameful, revolting verdict that let a murderer walk free- I had to leave. Then the Shaniya Davis case. I could not stomach the thought of another killer living it up while an innocent child was treated like their life was worthless.

I want to see Hailey’s murderer fry for this crime. I am not ashamed to say it.
ME.EXACTLY! Those words could have come directly from me!!!

Curtis Lloyd found Hailey Dunn's remains March 16 near Lake JB Thomas in Scurry County.

Lloyd recently told KTXS that he found a skull, a tooth and a femur, along with blue warmups that Hailey Dunn, then 13, was believed to have been wearing when she disappeared in late December 2010.

According to the FBI website, Hailey Dunn was last seen wearing the blue sweat pants, along with a short-sleeved shirt and pink and white tennis shoes.

Man who found Hailey Dunn's remains likely won't receive Colorado City reward

Bringing this up to refresh our memories.

Last edited:
Here's another-

BIG SPRING, Texas - Saturday, KTXS sat down for an exclusive interview with Curtis Lloyd, the man who found Colorado City teen Hailey Dunn's remains.

It was March 16, 2013 that Lloyd was out searching for fossils near Lake JB.Thomas.

Lloyd said he saw something unusual in the distance. As he walked over to it he realized it was a skull, a tooth and a femur. A little while later he found something else that made him think this could be the missing teenager.

"There was a piece of clothing that was the last thing she was seen wearing, a pair of warm-ups, blue warm-ups, that right there is what pretty well said it for me. That's the exact same thing they said she was wearing," Lloyd said.

Man who found teen Hailey Dunn's remains speaks exclusively to KTXS

Ms Betsy ,you got me ! They did get it ,the warrant was served to Billie's house ,She tried to say he wasn't there.. ,but she got caught lying that day.
They probably wanted the new warrant for DNA now, to be sure and have no legal issues. I have seen them do that when the car owner /home owner gives them permission to search, and they wait and go get a judge to sign a warrant, just in case ....

They may have had his DNA from a long time ago, but there could be tricky issues legally---like you noted---she said he wasn't there but IIRC they forced the situation and found him inside. Maybe they didnt want to defend that during a trial, if the defense tried to declare the DNA was taken illegally or something?

Curtis Lloyd found Hailey Dunn's remains March 16 near Lake JB Thomas in Scurry County.

Lloyd recently told KTXS that he found a skull, a tooth and a femur, along with blue warmups that Hailey Dunn, then 13, was believed to have been wearing when she disappeared in late December 2010.

According to the FBI website, Hailey Dunn was last seen wearing the blue sweat pants, along with a short-sleeved shirt and pink and white tennis shoes.

Man who found Hailey Dunn's remains likely won't receive Colorado City reward

Bringing this up to refresh our memories.

If those were her pants that were found, would LE still be able to get DNA off of them after they were out in the elements for three years? If there was semen on the pants, would LE be able to detect it and test it after all that time?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back