GUILTY KY - Ed Dansereau, 63, Pamela, 58, & Calvin Phillips, 53, murdered, Pembroke, 19 Nov 2015 *arrest*

I am stunned. It is difficult to see how he could be convicted, other than the jury did not hear that Joan and her son pleaded the fifth, but they did mot know what we knew.

SO, Julia Jenae just said on Courttv,that Joan lives in Elizabethtown, KY. She was there in the courthouse with an attorney. Earlier. before the trial.
Ya think anyone else knows that? Like Guys who carry Subpoenas and investigators?

I an still in shock.

Another thought: Re: Who is held responsible for wrong info given to jurors before deliberations?

I am stunned. It is difficult to see how he could be convicted, other than the jury did not hear that Joan and her son pleaded the fifth, but they did mot know what we knew.
that would be a nightmare for me if I were a juror....to convict an innocent person or acquit a guilty person, get home and see evidence I did not see at trial.....and change my mind! oops too late!
nightmare

Christian “Kit” Martin Found Guilty on All Charges

"A Hardin County jury has found Christian “Kit” Martin guilty on all charges in the Pembroke triple murder case with the sentencing phase of the trial scheduled to begin Thursday.

Martin was charged with the November 2015 murders of Calvin and Pamela Phillips and their neighbor Ed Dansereau in Pembroke. Calvin Phillips was found shot in his home, while Pamela Phillips and Dansereau were discovered several hours later a few miles away in the burned remains of a car.

The 8-man, 4-woman jury needed nearly seven-and-a-half hours of deliberation before returning to the courtroom with their verdict. Once they were seated, Christian County Chief Circuit Judge John Atkins asked the foreperson to confirm the guilty verdicts."

Thursday, June 17th:
*Trial continues (Day 10)/Sentencing Phase (Day 1) (@ 9am ET) – KY – Edward Dansereau (63), Pamela J. Phillips (58) & Calvin Lee Phillips (53) (Nov. 19, 2015, Pembroke) - *Christian “Kit” Richard Martin (51/now 53) arrested & charged (5/11/19), indicted (5/10/19) & arraigned (5/22/19) with 3 counts of 1st degree murder, 1 count of arson, 1 count of attempted arson, 2 counts of 2nd degree burglary & 3 counts of tampering with evidence. Plead not guilty. Held without bond, changed (10/16/19) to $3M bond.
May, 2016 was convicted of 2 counts of mishandling classified materials & 2 count of assault on a child; sentenced to 6 months in jail & discharged from the military.
Trial began on 6/2/21 with jury selection & concluded. Trial started on 6/3/21 (Day 1) & ended 6/16/21 (Day 8) & will be in Hardin County moved from Christian County due to pretrial publicity. Jurors: 10 men & 4 women (2 are alternates). Juror is excused (6/7/21) for medical reasons. 1 alternate left. For deliberations: 8 men & 4 women.
Senior Judge John Atkins presided. The prosecution rested its case Thursday, 6/10/21 after 6 days & 26 witnesses. Defense rested their case on Tuesday, (6/16/21) after 2 days & 11 witnesses. Jury deliberations started & ended on 6/16/21. Total deliberation time: 7 hours 27 minutes.

Court info from 5/22/19 thru 6/1/21 & Jury selection (6/2/21) & Trial Day 1 to 8 (6/3/21 to 6/15/21) reference post #455 here:
KY - Ed Dansereau, 63, Pamela, 58, & Calvin Phillips, 53, murdered, Pembroke, 19 Nov 2015 *arrest*

6/16/21 Wednesday, Day 9 of Trial: Defense rested their case yesterday. The jury will receive their instructions when they return to the court room Wednesday morning & then will hear closing statements from both the defense & the prosecution.
Judge read jury instructions. For closing arguments, the Commonwealth goes last, defense goes first. Defense attorney Griffiths gave closing statements. Closing by Commonwealth DA Barbara Whaley. Jury about to be sworn in to deliberate. Alternate juror released. Panel makeup is now 8 men & 4 women. Deliberations begin shortly after lunch. Deliberations began @ ~1:30pm ET. As of yesterday the complicity charge is no longer attached to the counts against Martin, per the defense. Jury has asked for dinner & will work thru it. Verdict reached. Deliberation clock is 7:26:22. Guilty of murder, Guilty of burglary, Guilty of arson & Guilty of physical tampering. Penalty phase begins with jurors in the morning 9:00am. Sentencing phase begins on 6/17/21.

How much of his conviction was due to him being so unlikeable?
JMO, I think his decision to testify was what could have solidified some of the jurors on guilty. Personally, I found him disingenuous, babbling on offering sometimes two different sides to a story to fit a narrative he wanted. As I previously said, it usually doesn’t end well for defendants who testify.

I still don’t think what was presented proved beyond a reasonable doubt. Too many questions left unanswered, too much evidence inconclusive.

So what did the jury think about Pam’s phone being in JH’s possession? That CM planted it in her yard months later? Or they just overlooked it?

... just coming into this thread due to it being posted and looked at the most recent posts (I had seen a promo on tv about case, but never followed/hit my radar so I passed on WS threads to follow)...

of interest are sooooooooooooo many folks thinking that this is a case where he should not have been found guilty. Which has peaked my interest!!!

I'm on page 5, reading... and viewing some of the court testimony.

Can someone give a quick synopsis so I don't spend days reviewing on why they think he should have received a not guilty plea. Or else I'm gonna spend to much rl time viewing to catch up.

TIA

SO, Julia Jenae just said on Courttv,that Joan lives in Elizabethtown, KY. She was there in the courthouse with an attorney. Earlier. before the trial.
Ya think anyone else knows that? Like Guys who carry Subpoenas and investigators?

I an still in shock.

Another thought: Re: Who is held responsible for wrong info given to jurors before deliberations?

I forgot to say that Joan Harmon is now brown haired according to Janae.

Anyone here think that part of the reason he was convicted was that he was trained as a Ranger?

Last edited:
I agree.
IF he’s truly innocent, I feel bad for him, especially after serving our country-which I’m thankful for no matter what.

I have no clue why they didn’t make it clear that Joan wasn’t involved or that she didn’t take any part of this horrible crime. I do think that says a lot, and that alone could even be seen as reasonable doubt when seen in its entirety.. I hope that makes sense?
This closing is making me sleepy and it’s such a pile of mash. So hard to follow.

Anyway, I’m on a different side in regards to his guilt, but completely respect everyone’s opinions on here.
I personally think Kit did commit these murders, but I don’t think the Commonwealth has (or can) prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. I think Kit is very clever, and knows it. I just don’t see how there’s enough evidence to convict him because he had planned this out, maybe even with help, IMO.
All good points. At the beginning of the trial I was on the side of guilty, but through out the trial the defense chipped away at that for me. I agree Kit is a smart man, but I think that he may have done better with carrying out the crimes give
JMO, I think his decision to testify was what could have solidified some of the jurors on guilty. Personally, I found him disingenuous, babbling on offering sometimes two different sides to a story to fit a narrative he wanted. As I previously said, it usually doesn’t end well for defendants who testify.

I still don’t think what was presented proved beyond a reasonable doubt. Too many questions left unanswered, too much evidence inconclusive.

So what did the jury think about Pam’s phone being in JH’s possession? That CM planted it in her yard months later? Or they just overlooked it?
I am also still stunned at the verdict. I believe he has a strong appellate case. I don't understand how they could not have doubts about the evidence. The system did not work this time.

I watch quite a few trials but what happens on appeal? Does that reverse the guilty verdict so he goes free? Or does he serve part of the sentence or what?

I still think he didn't do all these crimes. He served this country for 30 odd years; in combat areas. Why would someone with this record suddenly go rogue and kill 3 people and try to burn a house down around one of them; let alone do it in the rain and dark? And plant his own identifying article ( dog tag) so the cops could find him easier?

This is the only tweet I have found....

Julia Jenaé
@JuliaCourtTV
·
14m
Penalty phase in KY versus convicted murder Christian Martin happening now on @Courttv

The same jury that found him guilty will decide his sentence, the charges carry a max of life without parole on each murder count. Follow Right pointing backhand index@JoyCourtTV
for today’s details.

link: https://twitter.com/JuliaCourtTV

I've never posted, only lurked............but I am FLOORED! I cannot believe jurors thought the prosecution did anything more than a horrible job. The lady was one of the worst I've ever, ever seen! Why does she even have that job??? This is all so weird.

Honestly..MOO..I think he did it. But LE never had enough to get him.
JH made up some of the abuse with her son going along with it..why else would they need lawyers and plead the 5th? She made up some of the allegations that got these people killed.
Did JH plant the dog tag or shell casing...maybe.
Kit and JH are both shady to me.
But according to Julia Jenae no one is investigating JH.
JH was married already the whole time she was with Kit.
And I think he did it...which means he put a man on top of a burn pile in victims own home and lit it. That's another level of crazy hate.

I've never posted, only lurked............but I am FLOORED! I cannot believe jurors thought the prosecution did anything more than a horrible job. The lady was one of the worst I've ever, ever seen! Why does she even have that job??? This is all so weird.

Welcome to WS as to your first post here.

I am an "oldtimer" and see so very many new folks here posting as to the verdict and disagreeing with it. I did not follow this case, just found due to was on the "breaking news" thread... and now reading.

I am intrigued as there are few cases at WS were folks disagree and am interested why these folks that just joined don't agree with the verdict.

Can you enlighten me why you are floored?

TIA

It appears that the jury in Kentucky makes so many decisions… guilt, amount of time on sentencing, and if they will be served consecutively or concurrently.

I thought the statement Ed Dansereau’s daughter wrote and read was beautiful, encompassing his life and what he meant for so many. I imagine writing it may have been cathartic for her, not knowing if it would be read in court after a verdict as it was prepared ahead of time.

is this chic for the defense really standing up in front of the jury and telling them they are wrong??? Is she really saying "misplaced blame" to them and then asking them for "grace"??
So is that how to nicely ask for mercy for your client...tell the decision makers they are wrong??
WTH???

Believe it or not, she is actually the Assistant Attorney General.

It appears that the jury in Kentucky makes so many decisions… guilt, amount of time on sentencing, and if they will be served consecutively or concurrently.

I thought the statement Ed Dansereau’s daughter wrote and read was beautiful, encompassing his life and what he meant for so many. I imagine writing it may have been cathartic for her, not knowing if it would be read in court after a verdict as it was prepared ahead of time.

I agree, she had me in tears though out a lot of it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back