Identified! CT - East Haven, Frontage Rd behind former Bradlees store, WhtFem 18-28, UP10796, Wrapped in Paint-Spotted Tarp, Aug'75 - Patricia Meleady Newsome

I have heard the certain eastern European mafias were involved in people smuggling around this era, although I am not certain of any specific areas or destinations. having said that, she bears a resemblance to a girl that went missing on the coast of the UK 1 year prior.
The Doe Network: Case File 2466DFUK

@Nate_Bro Sorry, a little bit later then tomorrow....I'm not sure...I always have some kind of reservations about the human trafficking angle. A lot of times it seems very far fetched, although not impossible. My feeling about a girl missing from the UK found dead in the USA.....I think it's doubtful. Not to be misunderstood; this horrible things happen and are real. I'm not in denial and know a lot of cases from Europe (for instance Albanië), there is no doubt that trafficking is involved.

East Haven Jane Doe
BIRTH unknown
DEATH 16 Aug 1975
East Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, USA
BURIAL
State Street Cemetery
Hamden, New Haven County, Connecticut, USA
PLOT Unmarked plot (indigent burial) South gate

Murder Victim
The woman's strangled body was found by a truck driver on a rainy Aug. 16, 1975, floating in a drainage ditch behind the former Bradlees department store on Frontage Road. She was wrapped in a canvas tarpaulin and she was gagged and bound by black antenna wire around her neck, waist and knees.The possibility that she had plastic surgery on her nose may also have thrown off anyone who knew her natural facial features. The absence of a driver's license solidified her anonymity. Police still ponder varied versions of how the 125-pound woman's 5-foot 6-inch body wound up in a 2-foot-deep open culvert Jane Doe died of asphyxiation by suffocation at least five days before the truck driver's chance encounter.

Burial service provided by East Haven Memorial Funeral Home. Her unmarked plot is located on the south side, east of the south gate.

LINK:
Jane Doe (Unknown-1975) - Find A Grave Memorial

east-haven-jane-doe.jpg

East Haven Jane Doe

LINK:
East Haven Jane Doe

I have checked with 1975 and 1976 dates in NamUs and I had no results.

It's still amazing how little coverage this case gets. One article in the New Haven Register mentioned they were getting DNA while I think the DOe Network said DNA is available. Here's hoping it will lead to genetic genealogy and ID.

Can you provide a link to the article? Thanks upfront. Think I found it.
Missing in Connecticut: Giving a name to the 'missing missing,' databases and DNA may help identify unnamed remains (video) Feb. 4, 2012 Updated: July 27, 2017

It's not much......and it's an older article so I wonder how far are they with adding Connecticut's Jane and John Does to Namus now. Same thing with obtaining DNA.

Police have worked for years trying to figure out who they are -- a young woman found murdered in East Haven still remains nameless after 37 years.

East Haven police Detective Sgt. Bruce Scobie said police would like to solve the mystery, know her name and capture her killer.

Scobie, a father himself, thinks about Jane Doe's parents and relatives.

"You wonder if this person had family somewhere at one time," Scobie said. "Are they out there wondering? Did they pass on, never knowing what happened to her? It is hard to believe no one ever missed her. There must be someone out there with a story of a friend or cousin who disappeared. Someday, I'd like to hear that a name has been put to her."

"Unless you put information about unidentified remains on NamUs, you are cutting out the most important investigators, the loved ones of the missing," Murphy said, as NamUs is open to the public. "The Internet is perfectly positioned to solve these cases, yet we aren't using it to its capacity."

Of the 41 cases of unidentified remains listed on NamUs for Connecticut, only three show DNA samples have been submitted, with no DNA samples taken even for many cases in years when the technology was available, the site shows.

Under state law effective in October 2011, in cases involving remains where homicide is suspected, the office of the chief state medical examiner has to obtain tissue samples, bone and hair for DNA typing, and these samples must go to the Division of Scientific Services within the Department of Public Safety.

While several cases of unidentified remains from years ago have been added to NamUs in recent months, the NamUs list isn't complete.

This Jane Doe is in Namus since 2012
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I wonder if there are any rule outs for her.

BTW Hi and welcome @silverbashful

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am still learning how to properly help with the quest of finding her name and her killer without being voyeuristic

Can you provide a link to the article? Thanks upfront. Think I found it.
Missing in Connecticut: Giving a name to the 'missing missing,' databases and DNA may help identify unnamed remains (video) Feb. 4, 2012 Updated: July 27, 2017

It's not much......and it's an older article so I wonder how far are they with adding Connecticut's Jane and John Does to Namus now. Same thing with obtaining DNA.

Police have worked for years trying to figure out who they are -- a young woman found murdered in East Haven still remains nameless after 37 years.

East Haven police Detective Sgt. Bruce Scobie said police would like to solve the mystery, know her name and capture her killer.

Scobie, a father himself, thinks about Jane Doe's parents and relatives.

"You wonder if this person had family somewhere at one time," Scobie said. "Are they out there wondering? Did they pass on, never knowing what happened to her? It is hard to believe no one ever missed her. There must be someone out there with a story of a friend or cousin who disappeared. Someday, I'd like to hear that a name has been put to her."

"Unless you put information about unidentified remains on NamUs, you are cutting out the most important investigators, the loved ones of the missing," Murphy said, as NamUs is open to the public. "The Internet is perfectly positioned to solve these cases, yet we aren't using it to its capacity."

Of the 41 cases of unidentified remains listed on NamUs for Connecticut, only three show DNA samples have been submitted, with no DNA samples taken even for many cases in years when the technology was available, the site shows.

Under state law effective in October 2011, in cases involving remains where homicide is suspected, the office of the chief state medical examiner has to obtain tissue samples, bone and hair for DNA typing, and these samples must go to the Division of Scientific Services within the Department of Public Safety.

While several cases of unidentified remains from years ago have been added to NamUs in recent months, the NamUs list isn't complete.

This Jane Doe is in Namus since 2012
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I wonder if there are any rule outs for her.

BTW Hi and welcome @silverbashful

There's a lot of holes based on what's in the brand new NAMUS file. Where in New York was she last seen? They aren't sure what date or month she was last seen, how certain are they it was 1974? Also, is it just me or does that photo look to be older (hair and fashion look more mid 1950s than 1974) and of a woman older than 16 years old?

There's a lot of holes based on what's in the brand new NAMUS file. Where in New York was she last seen? They aren't sure what date or month she was last seen, how certain are they it was 1974? Also, is it just me or does that photo look to be older (hair and fashion look more mid 1950s than 1974) and of a woman older than 16 years old?

What I find oddest, is if I zoom in, there appears to be a smaller head in front of her that has been cropped? I wonder what her mother's name was? Perhaps they share the same name and this photo was added in error?

Namus notes that she was missing from Ulster County - the largest town is Kingston, and there are several smaller towns. The area is on the west bank of the Hudson River, in the foothills of the Catskills.

So, she is not from NYC or New York County.

I can see a similarity to the bust of Elko County Jane Doe. Still agree this image looks to be an older woman though? I'm going to try and find her on Classmates if I have time this week, if there are yearbooks for any of the towns Warwick mentioned.

Although Patricia is missing from NY, the contact agency is the Massachusetts State Police, the Cape and Islands District Attorney’s Office. This would point to a possible identification of an unidentified body found in MA, perhaps The Lady of the Dunes (LOTD), who was found in Provincetown in 1974.

The description of Patricia could be a good match for the LOTD. As far as the photo is concerned, women can mature early, and sometimes it can be hard to discern age.

There are 9 public high schools in the county, from what I can see, and several private schools. It is worth a search on Classmates.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood