SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't released, it was just told to them by "a source" which could mean the self-same source that had immediately leaked that info, only this time with more info, or depending on the reporting agency's journalistic integrity it could just mean the daily mail article despite the daily mail being notorious for "creatively rephrasing" the details in stories to get more clicks.

That house out front right along the road strikes me as the likely home of the caretaker given the way I would assume the property lines run but he may very well take his own vacation away during the summer months when the owners use it full time.

I agree. I thought that house by the road might be a for a caretaker.

I’m just going to throw out an opinion here as one who lives in the South and is very familiar with the hot, very humid weather. If they were indeed living at the lodge during SC summer, when they have a beach house…I’m curious why.

Probably because AM still works locally and they want to be together as a family.

JMO

I remember speculating on the Rhoden case thinking it may be due to a drugs, money, etc. Didn't it turn out to be about child custody? The Murdaugh case may actually turn out to be something totally unexpected.

In 2008, Matt Davis was one of the youngest elected officials in the USA. He had been elected to the city council in Fairfield, California. By most reports, the 21-year old had a great future ahead - he was smart, handsome, and incredibly charismatic.

Matt was meeting up with an old high school friend for lunch and printed out directions to her home. As he drove down her street, he saw her waiting outside for him. He turned around in her neighbor's driveway , parked and was walking towards her when, someone in a car behind him leaned out and shot Matt in the back of the head.
The press, community, and Matt's family speculated who could have killed him. Did he irritate another council member? Was it someone who resented him and his success? A jilted lover? Maybe a jealous husband of a woman he had previously dated?

Just like this case, lots of press coverage, endless speculation, and no definitive answers. Most people believed it had something to do with his council position and his politics. The guy had gotten a lot of press when he was first elected due to his age. Fairfield, California is a smaller city, but the population was about 105,000 in 2008 when this happened.
It turns out, Matt Davis was gunned down because of where he turned around his car when he was meeting up with that old friend. Apparently, Matt resembled a person who lived in the house and it was a case of mistaken identity. It had absolutely nothing to do with his city council position.

With respect to this case, many believe mom was collateral damage - has anyone considered the father as the main target? I am really trying to consider all reasonable explanations - with PM's issues, the murders could easily be related to him, but something about that just feels wrong - I don't know why, but I think this might turn out to be more complicated than we realize.

As always, this is just my (very) humble opinion and I welcome any and all feedback.

Last edited:
You might be right but that’s not my experience.

I live in a neighborhood in a recreational area where half are second homes. The part-timers have homes here to enjoy the best of the season…and that’s the summer. Mom and kids come for the summer…Dads on weekends or now work online.

I don’t think the M’s would have a beach home if living near AM’s work was a higher priority than the family enjoying the place. The family…I think grandfather…also own Buster’s island..and they belong to the Yacht Club which would be a big draw for this very social family.

The only reason I question this in context of the murders …is was there some reason they had to be there? Had the caretaker quit? Were they having problems with trespassers? I wonder how long they were there and who knew they were there.

In 2008, Matt Davis was one of the youngest elected officials in the USA. He had been elected to the city council in Fairfield, California. By most reports, the 21-year old had a great future ahead - he was smart, handsome, and incredibly charismatic.

Matt was meeting up with an old high school friend for lunch and printed out directions to her home. As he drove down her street, he saw her waiting outside for him. He turned around in her neighbor's driveway , parked and was walking towards her when, someone in abcar behind him leaned out and shot Matt in the back of the head.
The press, community, and Matt's family speculated who could have killed him. Did he irritate another council member? Was it someone who resented him and his success? A jilted lover? Maybe a jealous husband of a woman he had previously dated?
Just like this case, lots of press coverage, endless speculation, and no definitive answers. Most people believed it had something to do with his council position and his politics. The guy had gotten a lot of press when he was first elected due to his age. Fairfield, California is a smaller city, but the population was about 105,000 in 2008 when this happened.
It turns out, Matt Davis was gunned down because of where he turned around his car when he was meeting up with that old friend. Apparently, Matt resembled a person who lived in the house and it was a case of mistaken identity. It had absolutely nothing to do with his city council position.
With respect to this case, many believe mom was collateral damage - has anyone considered the father as the main target? I am really trying to consider all reasonable explanations without getting tunnel vision.

As always, this is just my (very) humble opinion and I welcome any and all feedback.

You are so right…and thanks for reminding us. I was following another SC case on here. A neighbor…former professional football player from lovely family…walked across the fields to a local Dr’s house…murdered two men working outside on the air conditioner…then the Dr, his wife and two little grandchildren. No motive that I’ve heard of yet. He killed himself afterward.

SC - 5 dead, inc. Dr Robert Lesslie & 2 children in shooting, Rock Hill, Apr 2021

I believe the family owned a farm about 5 minutes away. MM mentioned a tractor or something stolen from their farm on Facebook. There is a Murdaugh farm on Google maps on the same highway she mentioned in the post 5 minutes from the lodge. If they had a caretaker, they may also have lived at that farm property. Just a thought.

in a local tv interview linked upthread a neighbor said the M’s were mostly at the lodge these days. One possible reason for that aside from AM’s work is the ailing health of the family patriarch. That often becomes a big job for the family. JMO.

Matt was meeting up with an old high school friend for lunch and printed out directions to her home. As he drove down her street, he saw her waiting outside for him. He turned around in her neighbor's driveway , parked and was walking towards her when, someone in a car behind him leaned out and shot Matt in the back of the head.

With respect to this case, many believe mom was collateral damage - has anyone considered the father as the main target? I am really trying to consider all reasonable explanations - with PM's issues, the murders could easily be related to him, but something about that just feels wrong - I don't know why, but I think this might turn out to be more complicated than we realize.

Sometimes I think the answer is going to be something random like this.

For those who resented this family or believed the rumors, it should have seen like karma was catching up with them.

The patriarch was dying; the son was about to go on trial and might receive a long prison term; the father and brother were named in a civil suit; a grand jury had been empaneled to look at possible obstruction of justice.

Why commit murder now? All these rumors had been around for years. It really might be some random situation that defies understanding. Like idiots shooting into cars…neighbors walking over and committing mass murder.

I’ve also considered someone or people with possible mental health issues that could have conspiracy theory beliefs or delusions we wouldn’t necessarily guess could have focused on Paul and his family- that can happen to celebrities, politicians etc (and conspiracy theory believers have seem to have really grown in numbers this year) and given the family’s status and history it’s possible in my opinion.

I believe the family owned a farm about 5 minutes away. MM mentioned a tractor or something stolen from their farm on Facebook. There is a Murdaugh farm on Google maps on the same highway she mentioned in the post 5 minutes from the lodge. If they had a caretaker, they may also have lived at that farm property. Just a thought.

in a local tv interview linked upthread a neighbor said the M’s were mostly at the lodge these days. One possible reason for that aside from AM’s work is the ailing health of the family patriarch. That often becomes a big job for the family. JMO.

And some folks who had more than one house moved out out of the city and into the rural house because of the Covid pandemic.

Sometimes I think the answer is going to be something random like this.

For those who resented this family or believed the rumors, it should have seen like karma was catching up with them.

The patriarch was dying; the son was about to go on trial and might receive a long prison term; the father and brother were named in a civil suit; a grand jury had been empaneled to look at possible obstruction of justice.

Why commit murder now? All these rumors had been around for years. It really might be some random situation that defies understanding. Like idiots shooting into cars…neighbors walking over and committing mass murder.

it seems revenge is the easy answer ..lots of resentment around
but it can also be the red herring
but its hard to think of a random murder with so much happening there.. idk

The Summons and Complaint filed by the Courier and Post newpaper for release of information per F.O.I.A. is on the docket :
(A judge has not yet been assigned so there's no date set )

https://publicindex.sccourts.org/Co...118077795565657889995547531008670796671817385

Colleton County Home Page South Carolina Judicial Department Home Page SC.GOV Home Page
Post And Courier, Inc, , plaintiff, et al VS Colleton County Sheriffs Office , defendant, et al
Case Number: 2021CP1500368
Court Agency: Common Pleas Filed Date: 06/17/2021
Case Type: Common Pleas Case Sub Type: Permanent Injunc 830 File Type: Non-Jury
Status: Pending Assigned Judge: Clerk Of Court C P, G S, And Family Court

Post And Courier, Inc, Summons & Complaint Filing 06/17/2021-12:47

Please note: Clicking on the boxes above will show the Summons, Complaint, and Exhibits filed by the Post and Courier, Inc.

Last edited:
The Summons and Complaint filed by the Courier and Post newpaper for release of information per F.O.I.A. is on the docket :

Colleton County Home Page South Carolina Judicial Department Home Page SC.GOV Home Page
Post And Courier, Inc, , plaintiff, et al VS Colleton County Sheriffs Office , defendant, et al

Case Number: 2021CP1500368
Court Agency: Common Pleas Filed Date: 06/17/2021
Case Type: Common Pleas Case Sub Type: Permanent Injunc 830 File Type: Non-Jury

Status: Pending Assigned Judge: Clerk Of Court C P, G S, And Family Court

Case PartiesJudgmentsTax Map InformationAssociated CasesActionsFinancials
Name Description Type Motion Roster Begin Date Completion Date Documents
Post And Courier, Inc, Summons & Complaint Filing 06/17/2021-12:47

Summons and Complaint brought by Post and Courier, Inc.
(in pdf form)

https://publicindex.sccourts.org/Co...312250866871746573118981161001195210987103103

You are the article/info posting goddess. Many thanks for keeping the thread informed - especially the lawsuit filed by the newspaper and media folks. I will be anxious to read the initial law enforcement reports and the autopsies.

Random thoughts....

I just don't think it's related to the boating accident, or the other 'incidents' that we have read about. Why now?

We've all read that PM was a bit of a loose cannon. That's not completely unusual for a relatively wealthy family. It doesn't mean he was the target. also, there is talk of him being coddled, but what if his parents were trying to deal with that? What if there was a heated argument. Perhaps that caused a domestic incident (even beyond the immediate family).

I agree with others who observed that MM's image was very positive. Based on my review of her FB, I have that impression too. She seemed to help others and care about humanity. But that doesn't mean that someone didn't get upset with her or want her out of the way.

Of course we don't know what goes on behind closed doors and we also have no idea how any of this played out. All we know is that there was a tragedy. My sincerest thought are with the innocent victims.

I've been thinking a lot about Paul's behavior when he was drinking.His friends said he was a different person and he slapped his own girlfriend.He seemed the partying type so what if he either said something very offensive to someone or to a girlfriend of some guy who became enraged and sought revenge.Some people won't take any sign of disrespect and could have been seething about this for some time.

There are a zillion possibilities in this case. People kill over road rage and small slights all the time. Burglaries go wrong. Drug transactions go wrong. This family has been at the wrong end of multiple wrongful death claims and even an attempted arson at their old house in Hampton. The possibilities are endless. But technology of cell phones and surveillance cameras should help a lot. If there were no surveillance cameras that is very highly suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288