SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
All speculation on my part. Totally speculation.

A killer could have murdered victim one with shotgun, and victim two was not around. Upon departing, the killer is seen by victim two, who is going to assist victim one, and upon the killers identity being possibly made by victim two, the killer retrieves the rifle and kills victim two from a distance.
This explanation seems quite plausible and would explain why two different weapons were used. Assuming the two were shot
at significantly different distances it would also explain why LE believes Paul was the intended target. Has any info been released regarding the shooters distance relative to each victim?

From the Daily Mail article referenced a few posts up:

“Their bodies were found several yards apart from one another, shell casings were discovered at the scene and two firearms were recovered.”

This is the first I’ve read that firearms and shell casings were recovered. If true, that’s another really strange detail. Did outsiders really leave their weapons at the scene? Or could it be that everyone was armed and mom and Paul were not as quick on the trigger as the bad guys? (I.e., the firearms recovered at the scene belonged to the Murdaughs and were not the murder weapons.) Alternatively, I suppose that detail makes it conceivable that they shot each other. But surely if that’s the case the investigation would be over. A week should be enough time to make that determination.

And, of course, this is the Daily Mail so we can’t be sure the story is even accurate.
BBM

Based on LE’s quote, the firearms weren’t necessarily recovered at the scene. They may have been found during a search of another location like the swamp.

“Their bodies were found several yards apart from one another, shell casings were discovered at the scene and two firearms were recovered.”

Video in the Yahoo results is from Island Packet, which is MSM. Thank you @girlhasnoname for posting. Island Packet YT video below :

Probably because AM still works locally and they want to be together as a family.

JMO
Also, AM's father was known to be near death, so the family may have stayed closer to home, rather than going away to the beach.

After visiting his ailing elderly parents on Monday, June 10, Alex Murdaugh, a well-to-do attorney, returned to his family’s 1,700-acre estate in rural Colleton County around 10 pm. There, lying on the grass more than 100 yards from the main house, he found Paul’s body, severely disfigured by shotgun blasts. Some distance away, shot numerous times with an assault rifle, was Maggie’s body.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article252115473.html#storylink=cpy

There are a zillion possibilities in this case. People kill over road rage and small slights all the time. Burglaries go wrong. Drug transactions go wrong. This family has been at the wrong end of multiple wrongful death claims and even an attempted arson at their old house in Hampton. The possibilities are endless. But technology of cell phones and surveillance cameras should help a lot. If there were no surveillance cameras that is very highly suspect.

I did not know there was an attempted arson at their old house in Hampton. Was this recently? Then surely they would have had cameras or security at this lodge.

Why would the family say they had no enemies?

Local attorney victim of attempted arson

This happened in 2009.

HAMPTON - Local and state police are still searching for a suspect in connection with an apparent arson attempt at the home of a local attorney.
Firefighters responded to a reported structure fire at the home of Alex Murdaugh at 515 Holly St. Extension around 7:30 Friday morning. While the fire was quickly distinguished, evidence at the scene has prompted an arson investigation, said Hampton Police Chief Perry McAlhaney.
“We suspect that sometime Thursday night or Friday morning someone spread some kind of accelerant around the house and tried to set it on fire from the back door,” said McAlhaney. “Luckily, for some reason it didn’t spread through the house and the only thing that burned was the floor mat.“
McAlhaney said that as of Wednesday morning the incident is still under investigation by the Hampton Police Department with assistance from the State Law Enforcement Division Arson Team, the Hampton County Sheriff’s Office, and the Varnville Police Department.
McAlhaney added that an estimate of the amount of damage to the Murdaugh home was not known at this time. Murdaugh is an attorney with the Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth, & Detrick law firm in Hampton and the son of retired solicitor Randolph Murdaugh III.

It doesn’t look like this arson fire…was ever solved. But it apparently did not cause the family to believe they had any ‘enemies’ who might wish them harm. I realize this was 12 years ago, but it certainly would have been an unforgettable moment in my family’s life. I find it interesting that, for this family, even in the light of two brutal murders…it was forgettable.

It doesn’t look like this arson fire…was ever solved. But it apparently did not cause the family to believe they had any ‘enemies’ who might wish them harm. I realize this was 12 years ago, but it certainly would have been an unforgettable moment in my family’s life. I find it interesting that, for this family, even in the light of two brutal murders…it was forgettable.

I find it laughable that a family that put folks in jail/prison in a small rural community for decades would say they have no enemies.

JMO

Local attorney victim of attempted arson

This happened in 2009.

HAMPTON - Local and state police are still searching for a suspect in connection with an apparent arson attempt at the home of a local attorney.
Firefighters responded to a reported structure fire at the home of Alex Murdaugh at 515 Holly St. Extension around 7:30 Friday morning. While the fire was quickly distinguished, evidence at the scene has prompted an arson investigation, said Hampton Police Chief Perry McAlhaney.
“We suspect that sometime Thursday night or Friday morning someone spread some kind of accelerant around the house and tried to set it on fire from the back door,” said McAlhaney. “Luckily, for some reason it didn’t spread through the house and the only thing that burned was the floor mat.“
McAlhaney said that as of Wednesday morning the incident is still under investigation by the Hampton Police Department with assistance from the State Law Enforcement Division Arson Team, the Hampton County Sheriff’s Office, and the Varnville Police Department.
McAlhaney added that an estimate of the amount of damage to the Murdaugh home was not known at this time. Murdaugh is an attorney with the Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth, & Detrick law firm in Hampton and the son of retired solicitor Randolph Murdaugh III.

I went to look at this address on Google Maps and couldn't confirm the exact structure, but there was one burned out house in the immediate area (showing on a 2013 image). What are the odds?

Google Maps

Was this their property? If so, was there a subsequent fire that completely gutted the place, or is this another neighboring property, implying that a local arsonist is still out there?

My thoughts exactly.....

After visiting his ailing elderly parents on Monday, June 10, Alex Murdaugh, a well-to-do attorney, returned to his family’s 1,700-acre estate in rural Colleton County around 10 pm. There, lying on the grass more than 100 yards from the main house, he found Paul’s body, severely disfigured by shotgun blasts. Some distance away, shot numerous times with an assault rifle, was Maggie’s body.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article252115473.html#storylink=cpy
I don't mean to be irritating here, but, I feel stumped on this night of the murder. I am questioning a few things.

1. "After visiting his ailing elderly parents on Monday, June 10, Alex Murdaugh...returned to the house."

Ok, so he was "visiting" his parents. Not out hunting, not taking his father to the hospital? (Which we've been told numerous times.)

2. "There, lying on the grass more than 100 yards from the main house, he found Paul’s body..."

100 yards is the length of a football stadium. Its not like he pulled up at 10pm at night and just happen to glance up and see his family on the ground.

I've looked at the layout of the property already. Unless there was were flood lights equal to stadium lights no one can come home and just happen to see his family.

3. LE said early on that Alex was a “person of interest” in the investigation of his wife and son’s deaths, but now say he was not. Yet others say he is
Is he or isn't he...

4. Maggie was found some distance away from PM. What is "some distance"?
We've been told "few yards."
So what is that: 3ft, maybe 4 ft??
That is not "some distance away."

5. Solicitor Duffie Stone — is the Murdaugh’s hand-picked replacement for their late father....

Stone has still not rescue himself from the case — despite mounting pressure due to his many conflicts of interest.

6. Some MSM state charges against PM for the boating incident will be dropped. Other MSM state the Beach family won't drop charges.

These are just a few....

I think the charges being dropped on PM are the criminal ones from the crash, the civil case will go on as I think AM is named as the owner of the boat.

Yes, I think that's correct. The state can't criminally prosecute a dead person. But the civil suit for money damages against AM or even Paul's estate (not sure who the defendant(s) are in the civil case) can still go forward.

On one hand, a very brutal double murder takes place. On the other hand, authorities tell the public…don’t worry about it…no risk to general public though the murderers are still at large.

On one hand, LE is being unusually secretive about this case, to the extent that newspapers are taking them to court. On the other hand, this very private family feels compelled to do two consecutive interviews on two popular morning shows. Yes, a tipline is set up, but this very wealthy family offers no reward for the apprehension of the killers.

On one hand, the family members tell the public that their family has no enemies. On the other hand, 10 yrs ago, someone tried to burn down the home of the these same victims. And if they have no enemies, then it is a random crime, in which case, the general public certainly is at risk.

On one hand, the family tells the public that their brother has an air-tight alibi. On the other hand, doesn’t that mean two dangerous killers are loose in the community? So how in the world does all this secrecy by LE benefit the general public???

On one hand, the family tells the general public that they are no dynasty, are just an ordinary family like the rest of us, but on the other hand, nothing about the way this case is being handled is ordinary?

Just my opinions as always. Truly befuddled on this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member