AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculation here, but it's also possible that someone local has reported seeing a vehicle similar to the one driven by Tonie Hammonds who attempted to kidnap the boy in Kingsport on Thursday.
Ooooooohhhhhhhhh! I hadn't thought of that. I think Hammonds was way too sloppy to get away with taking Summer, but I can totally see the possibility pushing her into the Amber Alert criteria.

sitting on my hands and resisting the urge to correct bad info/rumors.

I hope the update this afternoon gives us something encouraging but my heart sinks for Summer with each passing day. Praying the weather doesn't make searchers already difficult task more difficult.

Are you looking for some encouragement ? ;)

Seriously, though , bad info and rumor doesn't help any of us. And it SURE doesn't help Summer.

Thinking about it now, I wonder that if the dog lost scent of her at the end of the driveway - would that contribute to the amber alert being issued? Could that be the "new information" that caused them to believe she was in grave danger at that point? Thinking she was taken there? They wouldn't elaborate on whatever the new info was. Nor have I seen LE state anything about the dog losing her scent, that came solely from down.

But also - if that were the case and LE doesn't want to comment on it, they likely would have advised dad not to speak on it either.

I personally feel there would be a different tone and urgency to spreading the word about possible abduction from LE if they considered it a real possibility. But who knows what is going on with the investigation side of things. I agree with others that I haven't ever seen such a huge response/search like we have seen here.

Just jumping off your post about her scent being lost at the end of the driveway. My youngest 4 kids were raised on a farm in the middle of 100 acres where they routinely walked the 1/4 mile laneway, since the school bus stopped there every morning. They were farm kids, outside all the time, into the cornfields and the bush out back.

If one of them had gone missing and there were scent dogs in the laneway, the trail would go cold at the end, because they never crossed the road (especially at 5 years old), or turned left or right. There would be no scent of them at all, past the end of our laneway. So if Summer never exited her driveway on foot, it makes a lot of sense why the dog lost her scent there.

I've been watching everything, including the many times the Dad has spoken in person and over the phone. I do believe he's telling what he believes to be true. He wasn't home, he only knows what he's been told. He seems very sincere, heartbroken and shows no signs of deception. That is my professional opinion.

Speculation here, but it's also possible that someone local has reported seeing a vehicle similar to the one driven by Tonie Hammonds who attempted to kidnap the boy in Kingsport on Thursday.
Ooooooohhhhhhhhh! I hadn't thought of that. I think Hammonds was way too sloppy to get away with taking Summer, but I can totally see the possibility pushing her into the Amber Alert criteria.
Sorry for quoting and arguing against myself ;), but Thursday was the 17th so the above doesn't correspond with the AA being issued on the 16th.

And I just agreed with you darn it!

I have saw people say if she was barefoot that she would not walk very far, I know from experience as a kid growing up in a similar area that your feed get very tough very fast in the summer. Then I saw a video that backed that up, look at the video of her in the rain. She is wearing a dress but is barefoot. She is running and jumping on gravel having a grand ole time. The gravel is not bothering her at all. I would say by this time of year she could almost have walked on hot coals with no trouble. A country kid with no shoes is not unusual. In fact a country kid wearing shoes all the time would be more out of place than one not wearing shoes.

I've been watching everything, including the many times the Dad has spoken in person and over the phone. I do believe he's telling what he believes to be true. He wasn't home, he only knows what he's been told. He seems very sincere, heartbroken and shows no signs of deception. That is my professional opinion.
I believe dad 100% He is only going by what he was told and what he hopes and prays is what happened to her with being taken by someone being the best option at this time as sad as that is.

I have saw people say if she was barefoot that she would not walk very far, I know from experience as a kid growing up in a similar area that your feed get very tough very fast in the summer. Then I saw a video that backed that up, look at the video of her in the rain. She is wearing a dress but is barefoot. She is running and jumping on gravel having a grand ole time. The gravel is not bothering her at all. I would say by this time of year she could almost have walked on hot coals with no trouble. A country kid with no shoes is not unusual. In fact a country kid wearing shoes all the time would be more out of place than one not wearing shoes.

Agreed - I raised country kids and they almost never wore shoes outside in the summer.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't see ANY signs of deception, but I will say this... I don't believe he is lying about Summer. His story about being at work is easy enough for LE to verify , his story about calling 911 before leaving work in Jonesboro is very easy for LE to verify (even if he called from his cell phone). The only other thing he has stated about Summer's disappearance appears to be based on what his wife has told him. Unless there's more to the story than what we are being clued in on, I tend to think the dad wasn't there.

All JMO

I'd do it, but my property backs up to 650,000 acres of National Forest. I don't think it's a fair representation of where Summer lives. I'm much more rural.

I will say this, though, as an avid back country hiker who has hiked all over the US , this area has some very unique challenges. 1. The vegetation is VERY dense and the forest floor is littered with debris. Branches, sticks, rocks , nettles , poison ivy , ticks, the occasional copperhead , etc. etc. It's VERY hard on the feet and calves and you have to tread very slowly and carefully (if you're off trail ). 2. The overhead canopy is also very dense. In many places, you can't count on seeing anything above you but the canopy. So, you can't count on the sun for direction, and you sure can't count on being seen from the air. 3. It is VERY easy to lose all sense of direction without a compass. You know that saying, "Moss always grows on the northside of trees " ? That's a myth, trust me. 4. You encounter endless steep ridges and they are exhausting to traverse. Many times I have felt fresh enough to go, and by the time I made it to the top of the ridge , the cramps in my legs forced me to stop for a few hours. Pushing through that sometimes isn't a wise option because pushing yourself past muscle failure can lead to life threatening injuries out here without cell phone reception or access to trained medical aid. 5. There are a lot of creeks. They don't usually pose much of a problem, but under the right conditions, they can. Especially if there has been a lot of rain.

Anyway...long post. But I hope it was helpful in some way.

Excellent description!

Okay, but I think most of us have caught on to the idea that groups of professionals can't find her. I haven't noticed anyone discounting the diffculty of the search in the dense terrain, but I'm also skipping over pages as I read so perhaps I missed posts suggesting otherwise.

jmo

I didn't mean to imply that anyone was discounting the difficulty of the terrain. I simply think that there are people who do not live here who are not familiar with how dense the forest floor is. I thought it would provide a better picture of what the area is like. It's just another photo - not a big deal.

Just jumping off your post about her scent being lost at the end of the driveway. My youngest 4 kids were raised on a farm in the middle of 100 acres where they routinely walked the 1/4 mile laneway, since the school bus stopped there every morning. They were farm kids, outside all the time, into the cornfields and the bush out back.

If one of them had gone missing and there were scent dogs in the laneway, the trail would go cold at the end, because they never crossed the road (especially at 5 years old), or turned left or right. There would be no scent of them at all, past the end of our laneway. So if Summer never exited her driveway on foot, it makes a lot of sense why the dog lost her scent there.

I thought of that, as well. Unless she doesn't routinely go down the driveway, schools out. Most folks pick up the mail when driving in or out of long driveways.

I would like to know if her scent was picked up leaving the property into the woods.

Summer has officialy arrived....its time for our Summer to come home.

Praying for Summer.

To those who think mom did this, how? How in the world did she pull this off? <modsnip> and calling her husband, she had what, 4 hours? To kill her, hide her body so thoroughly that nobody has found her in a week, cleaned up all evidence that it occurred (or else surely she'd have been arrested by now), she did all of this either without grandma and her boys knowing OR she is so effective at coaching them to say the right things that they all believe her, too? Why even call her husband to say Summer is missing? Why call 911? Why not just wait longer and put more time between yourself and the crime, like we usually see in these cases?

What a criminal mastermind she must be...

Maybe she is a criminal mastermind and maybe she isn’t. Maybe she’s not involved and maybe she is. There are others that maybe involved or maybe not.

As things sit right now we have a version of events as told by the family. Those details were given to LE. LE has not confirmed or denied those details.

If you believe the version of events that Dad has made public, then we have to believe Summer was abducted.

If you don’t believe the version of events, then the story isn’t true and Mom isn’t a criminal mastermind at all because the story doesn’t fit.

LE reports a missing 5 year old child that they are desperately trying to find. They are running 2 investigations. Why do you think they are running 2 investigations? Well, one is to find Summer.

And the second, to find the truth.

MOO

Excellent description!

I didn't mean to imply that anyone was discounting the difficulty of the terrain. I simply think that there are people who do not live here who are not familiar with how dense the forest floor is. I thought it would provide a better picture of what the area is like. It's just another photo - not a big deal.

I get it. It absolutely drives me insane when people equate " country kids " going barefoot all the time to a barefoot kid traversing these woods and somehow managing to get a long way from home. Being barefoot in the yard, in a pasture, on some rocks at the creek, is NOT the same as being barefoot in dense forest. My feet are tough as stone, and I'm an experienced hiker, and I couldn't do it.

But, of course, that's just my personal experience.

I was away overnight when a neighbor called me to tell me that another neighbor had attempted to kill his girlfriend, burn the house down and take shots at responding LE and the fire department. He then escaped into the woods. He was tracked by a helicopter with heat sensing technology, until they lost him and had no idea where he was. He was armed and dangerous. My ex-husband left for work that morning, knowing nothing of the incident, other than the road was partially closed.

I called my daughter, told her what was happening, that she should lock all doors and windows, and not leave the house unless it was with a police officer, her father or myself. I then got in the car to make the 3 hour drive home as quickly as possible.

When I arrived, LE was in the process of arresting the man, approximately 100 yard away from our house, in a vehicle that was stored inside a barn. My daughter told me she had walked to that barn earlier to see where the police were, and she came within mere feet of this deranged person without knowing it. All because she did not do what I told her for her own safety.

Certainly not my proudest moment as a parent, and it scared my daughter greatly, much to my satisfaction!
:eek:

Last edited:
Day 7 of search: Summer Wells' father believes she may have been taken by human traffickers
June 21, 2021

Kingsport Times News interview with Donald Wells, father of missing 5-year-old Summer Wells from Hawkins County, TN

"They're still looking for two more people of interest."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members