GUILTY UK - Linda Hood, 68, found strangled after house fire, Gorleston, Norfolk, 11 June 2021 *ARREST*

A man who was arrested in connection with a murder in Gorleston last week has been bailed.

Police were called just before 9.10am on Friday, June 11, to help Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service following reports of a fire at a house in Cherwell Way.

Following enquiries and the results of a Home Office post mortem examination, detectives from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team are treating her death as murder.

The cause of death has been established as compression to the neck.

Pending formal coroner’s inquest proceedings, police have provisionally identified the deceased as Linda Hood, aged 68. Her next-of-kin have been informed.

On Thursday, June 17, officers arrested a man aged in his 50s in connection with the murder. He was taken to Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre for questioning.

On Friday, June 18, he was released on police bail pending further enquiries.

Detectives are now renewing an appeal for anyone with information about the incident to come forward. This includes anyone who witnessed the incident or was in the Cherwell Way area at any time during Thursday, June 10, and Friday, June 11.

Man released on bail following Linda Hood murder probe in Gorleston

Bailed?! He was given bail after being arrested on suspicion of murder?!
:eek:

Obviously not enough to hold him on for a further period. Again, what I said before, he may have been held after information was given perhaps by someone who LH said something to. Perhaps good reason, but no firm evidence.

A second man has been arrested in relation to the murder of a 68-year-old woman.

Detectives investigating the death of Linda Hood have arrested a man aged in his 50s this morning (June 21) in connection with the incident.

Police were called just before 9.10am on Friday, June 11 to help Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service following reports of a fire at an address in Cherwell Way.

The body of Mrs Hood, who was last week described as "a good neighbour who will be sorely missed" was found inside the property.

Following enquiries and the results of a post mortem examination, detectives from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team are treating her death as murder.

The man arrested this morning had been taken to Wymondham Police Investigation Centre where he remains for questioning.

A man also aged in his 50s was arrested last week (June 17) in connection with the murder. He has since been released on police bail pending further enquiries.

Detective chief inspector Phill Gray said: "We are continuing to progress with our enquiries in order to establish the exact circumstances leading up to Linda’s death..."

Second man arrested in Gorleston murder investigation

I wonder if this is the SAME man?
It's hard to tell from the way the article is written. I took it that a second man would be someone different? Also, there is no local talk about this at all. It's a really small town with barely any crime let alone murders and no one is talking about it. What would the motive have been? Very strange and very sad...a woman is murdered in her own home and no one seems all that bothered? IMO

I take 'second man arrested' to mean someone different, as opposed to 'made a second arrest', for instance, which is a form of words I might choose if I wanted to be ambiguous. But I sometimes think we read too much into these things - if LE had rearrested the same man, I'm sure they'd be happy to spell it out as I bet they've taken some flak locally for bailing him.

My guess would be that A was probably arrested based on something that turned out to be weak, like a witness identification that was refuted by an alibi. I can't believe they wouldn't have got their extra time in a murder investigation if they had anything much on him, not that I'm an expert. Goodness knows who B is. Someone who looks similar? Both times they've made a point of saying the arrested man is believed to be known to the victim, which is presumably meant to reassure people that there isn't a serial killer on the loose, so I suppose we need to profile the victim a bit if we hope to guess who they might be looking at.

There's a bit of chatter here. People generally seem as bemused as us.

JMO

I have family who used to live close to the area and one thing I do know is brasenose Avenue goes past the bottom of cherwell way (where she lived) is a main bus route for pretty much every bus coming from Yarmouth through gorleston. Several different buses use this route even if their destination is past gorleston...belton, lowestoft, kessingland and even the local hospital. So on average a bus would pass the end of the walkway where her house is roughly every 10/15mins possibly even less than that. However I'm not sure whether that would be the same now during pandemic?but you would hope that maybe dash cam or CCTV from one of the buses may have caught something?

Also, do we know what time the fire started?As then you could narrow down what buses were possibly on their route in the area at the time of the murder? Unless it took place in the middle of the night?

Also, do we know what time the fire started?As then you could narrow down what buses were possibly on their route in the area at the time of the murder? Unless it took place in the middle of the night?

From above reports

Neighbours raised the alarm just after 9am after opening her front door and realising her home was full of smoke.

One said: “Her next door neighbour’s daughter came round to visit her mum and heard the sound of Linda’s smoke alarm going off.

“She ended up knocking on my door because I have her spare key due to her having locked herself out in the past.

“I opened the door and there was a lot of smoke. I don’t know how long the fire had been going for.

Officers were called just before 9.10am on Friday (June 11)

So around 9am the fire had taken hold and set the fire alarms off, how long would that take?

From above reports

Neighbours raised the alarm just after 9am after opening her front door and realising her home was full of smoke.

One said: “Her next door neighbour’s daughter came round to visit her mum and heard the sound of Linda’s smoke alarm going off.

“She ended up knocking on my door because I have her spare key due to her having locked herself out in the past.

“I opened the door and there was a lot of smoke. I don’t know how long the fire had been going for.

Officers were called just before 9.10am on Friday (June 11)

So around 9am the fire had taken hold and set the fire alarms off, how long would that take?

Thankyou for finding this info. I have no idea how long it would take for a fire to get going but lets use the timeframe of between 8am-9.15am just after police were called. The following buses were on route at that time...

X1 service between lowestoft and norwich. See attached timetable. I have circled in red the name of the bus stop (magdalen square) that is on brasenose avenue which passes by cherwell way. There would have been buses in the area roughly at

• 07.44am
  • 08.16am
  • 08.46am
  • 09.16am

08 service between caister and the hospital. Again I have circled in red the name of the bus stop (magdalen square) that is on brasenose avenue which passes by cherwell way the times the buses would be going past...

• 07.54am
  • 08.11am
  • 08.26am
  • 08.41am

So the number 8 bus passed her house every 10minutes and the X1 every 30minutes and i am pretty sure other buses use brasenose Avenue also so surely one of them must've caught something? Especially in daylight? I have also attached maps to show brasenose avenue in relation to her road cherwell way.

*Edited to add link to bus timetables where I gathered this info from.

Route maps | Norfolk & Suffolk | First Bus

Attachments

• 20210622_015031.jpg
    20210622_015031.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210622_015150.jpg
    20210622_015150.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210622_015335.jpg
    20210622_015335.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210622_010952.jpg
    20210622_010952.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3
Would it be someone who has access to her home.

Or because she knew him or them she invited them in.

I would think so. She doesn't actually live on a road. It's like an alleyway/walkway off the main road. Also, why her house specifically? You would have to know where it was to find it. I've attached a photo from the news article to show brasenose Avenue in relation to
cherwell way.

Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire

Attachments

• 20210622_021826.jpg
    20210622_021826.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 16

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors