CA CA - Sue Sharp 36, & 3 children, Keddie Cabin Murders, Plumas, 11 Apr 1981

I'll have to review the account of his confession. Do you have a link? TIA
Should be on the video (you tube)
I'll have to review the account of his confession. Do you have a link? TIA
Can't find a clip, but it was on the documentary (which is on you tube). The councilor is being interviewed in shadow "When he was discussing the 12-year-old child, he, his facial expression showed a level of discomfort, but he continually, he also killed her with a hammer.

BEWARE: These 50 Strangest Unsolved Mysteries of All Time Are Seriously Spooky!

19. The Keddie Cabin Murders

On April 12, 1981, in Keddie, California, the Sharp family, and some friends went to sleep inside Cabin 28 at the Keddie Resort Lodge. Sheila Sharp would wake up to find her mother, Sue, her brother, Johnny, and their family friend Dana Wingate brutally murdered inside the cabin while her 12-year-old sister, Tina, was missing from the scene. Sheila only escaped the murders by sleeping at a friend’s cabin next door. Surprisingly, they found Sheila’s two younger brothers, Greg and Rick, and their friend Justin Smartt, asleep in another bedroom inside Cabin 28 and safe. Tina’s remains would be found by an anonymous tip, on the third anniversary of the murders. Her skull was found 50 miles away from Keddie in a different county.

There were only 2 suspects that the police examined: Marty Smartt and his roommate, Bo Boubede. Marty Smartt was married to Marilyn Smartt and they were parents to Justin Smartt. Marty was apparently an abusive husband. Since Sheila Sharp had just escaped an abusive relationship herself, there were reports that she was giving Marilyn some counseling. When Marty found out that Sheila was interfering in his marriage he reportedly “went ballistic.” Soon after the murders, Marty left Keddie for Reno, Nevada. Law enforcement felt that the murders took more than one person to conduct which is why they took Bo Boubede into questioning as an accomplice. Bo Boubede was also an ex-con.

Despite there being so much more to the case, the investigation oddly stopped there. There was evidence that seemingly went unnoticed and people of interest that were not examined properly. The murderer of the Keddie crime has not been identified and the case remains unsolved.

"There were only 2 suspects that the police examined: Marty Smartt and his roommate, Bo Boubede". Incorrect, these two weren't even in the top 5 at the time. Several suspects were questioned and had fingerprints (and we now know thanks to someone's brilliant digging) and foot prints taken. "*DUNNIGAN, JAMES

Snitched off Wisley for 187 he was serving life in Orange Co., Wisley implied Dunnigan involved in Keddie, partner Phillip Thompson " "Today Silveria is a suspect in at least 17 murders, including a grisly quadruple slaying in the Plumas County railroad town of Keddie that has just been added to the growing list of homicides." "March 10, 1986

DOJ reports a new proccess (sic) for developing partial prints using laser. The bloody print from the scene was enhanced so suspects (sic) names should be resubmitted for comparison.

No. #1 - Suspect- Carl Kautzer
about 20 yrs old in 1981
(Friend of Frank Davis)

Other Possibles :

Steven S Lucas
about 18 yrs in 1981
(Friend of Chuck Walke)

John Sidney Sessions
about 19 yrs in 1981
(5 reports that he looked like composite + was dealing drugs)" to name just a few.

Last edited:
"Due to the discrepancies, the fact that he and Chuck were in Keddie the night of the homicides and cannot prove their activities during that time (0300 or 0400 hrs), were at least close to the Sharp residence, and resemble the composite drawings, I advised Henry of the polygraph test and asked him if he had any objection to taking it to straighten out the inconsistencies. He took a very long pause and then stated he wanted to talk to Chuck to straighten it out. I advised him it would be best for the test if he did not discuss the information with Chuck prior to the test. I again asked him if he would take the test. After another long pause, Henry agreed to take the test.

It should be noted that Henry wears gold-framed glasses."

"10·12-89. I attempted to contact Joe Sypnicki to compare the evidence held
fingerprint with prints from Howard. Sypnicki was on assignment and
unavailable.

10-13-89. approx. 1050 hrs. I contacted Sypnicki who will do the examination
and get back to me.

10-23-89. Deputy Gamberg advised that his informant remembered the name of
the second subject. Monty ------. This subject is Montgomery B.
---------------------------------. He also is similar to the composite
drawing of one of the suspects.

11-13-89. I have received wrap sheets on (Monty) and photographs of both
subjects· All information placed in the "Howard/(Monty)" file. Further
investigation to include comparison between the Keddie case and the
Howard murder and to attempt to establish activities and whereabouts of
both subjects at the time of the Keddie murders." D. Stoy/Lieutenant

Bumping this great site! One thing I've learned to be true over the years, there was no "botching" or "corruption" relating to this case by the original investigators. They took wall panels, whatever was in the kitchen and bathroom pipes, brought in outside investigators ( which would not happen in a case they're trying to make go away). Finger prints, blood samples ECT. What exactly are they supposed to have missed? Again, great site thanks!

Ok wow, more on the counselors reported Marty "confession". Report from Plumas county sheriffs office (as seen in the doc).
"5-11-81 1820 HRS
I telephoned Dr. ______ Plumas Lassen mental health psychiatrist at 25----6 who had requested that I call him, he said he had information on the 187 P.C.
Dr. C_____ said that he had a friend at the Reno -------- who is also a next door neighbor and that ---rty had telephoned him from Klamath Falls and ---fessed to the Keddie murders.
Dr. C____ reported that he was going to report the –formation to the office and the psychiatrist did not w----- -im to do this.
The psychiatrist is

telephone 323

5-12-81
I telephoned -----spital and was--- "
This report was taken in 1981 yet the excerpt I quoted previously from the documentary has the counselor stating," his facial expression showed a level of discomfort". Can we set this to rest now? No? ok one more. I am borrowing a post from another site regarding a newspaper write up of the 2nd documentary, I hope this is ok to drop this here. che.stparchive.com/Archive/CHE/CHE04132011p01.php

Here is a newspaper article dated April 13, 2011. This article is just a review of the Part 2: Keddie murders documentary by Josh Hancock. What I found most interesting is page 4, towards the end of the article, when the reporter reviews the "highlight or peak" of the documentary, the therapist's confession. This reporter was puzzled as to how 2 police agencies had missed 2 independent opportunities to follow up on a possible confession. He (the reporter) states , "when questioned about this claim, the Plumas Co sheriff's office allowed this reporter to view a later report, which appeared to be related to the first one.

"This report indicated the therapist was interviewed by the Dept of Justice in reaction to the original report.

The document explained the therapist told investigators he spoke with Martin several times but the vet never admitted to the killings, essentially denying he told his friend (Dr. Cheeseman) he received a confession.

The report indicated Martin's wife called the therapist after the murders saying she thought Martin committed them but that Martin denied this later.

There is no way to know if the filmmakers somehow missed this second report or why it wasn't included in the film, but it seems to significantly blur the picture presented in the film."

You can also read the November 4, 2011 article titled "Paradise Lost: The Keddie Killings, Part 11. In this article Sheriff Hagwood also says there was a confession but the therapist later changed his story.

Oh, and why wasn't this counselor charged with violating the hippa act? His discussing a clients marital strife, possible ptsd on camera? (And no, Marty's death does not absolve him of this). He also violated California's mandatory reporting act of 1980! Tina's body had not yet been found, there was no proof one way or the other of her death. If there was the possibility that she was being held/abused, the counselor had an absolute obligation to report. The CARNA act, and he would be completely aware of this, does not hold those reporting false information in good faith liable.

From the Camp 18 website:

"The Camp’s primary mission is to provide inmate fire crews for fire suppression activities in the Tehama, Glenn, Shasta and Plumas County areas. In addition to fire suppression, inmate hand crews provide a work force for conservation and community services projects in the local area."

When did these inmate work crews begin working in the local area?
Could someone previously on these crews, with knowledge of when the outer areas would be empty be involved?
What types of inmates (what are they incarcerated for) worked/work at the outside area of the prison?
How frequently were/are workers actually at the outside area of the camp?
How frequently was/is the outside area patrolled?
Was/is food stored at the camp for workers outside the prison?
Were/are there locations outside the prison to sleep available at the camp?
Do we have access to reports regarding the condition of and immediate surroundings of Tinas body when discovered?
How far away from the prison was the body?

Someone felt safe being near a prison/LE with Tina.
More than likely, I think the person has a connection to Quincy.
One of the quickest routes to the Camp is to pass through Quincy.
From the camp, Reno/Nevada would seem like a quick escape route after leaving Tina behind.
I don't think I would stay in California if I had just killed half of a family in their own home and abducted someone.
I think if it were me, I would probably jump state and work on getting far away from California.

Someone was comfortable in the woods.
There are plenty of main roads to go around, but they went into the heart of the park/woods.
Someone was comfortable around a prison/inmates/chance of LEOs.
Someone was okay with potential for nosey Park Rangers.
Did they tell Tina what to say if they were stopped/asked?

I have questions for anyone familiar with Nevada laws, Oregon laws and California laws pre 1980.

How much do we know about Tina's sexual abusers? People in their circles/periphery?

How much do we know about inmates paroled or released from Ishi Conservation Camp 18 programs? Were any from Quincy/Keddie or have family/friends there? Did any work programs take them near or into Quincy/Keddie?

Radaghest,

I may be wrong however I think you may have the "Camp 18's" confused....I thought Tina was found down Feather Falls, CA. NOT the Ishi Conservation Camp 18 of CDCR.

New to this site, came here to learn more specifically about this case and look into a few more. Lot of useful information here as I've read the 18 pages worth. One question I do have that I can't seem to find any info on is what exactly happened to Bo Boubede? I'm aware he died however how and where? Also I don't know if I'm 100% sold on he being that "connected" to the Chicago Outfit. It may be just my thoughts, but Bo risking a kidnapping and a quadruple homicide, I think that would rub an organization like that the wrong way!

Bo Boubede was a drug dealer who was close friends with Martin Smartt. He died a few years after the murders took place. Bo's real first name was John.

Bo Boubede was a drug dealer who was close friends with Martin Smartt. He died a few years after the murders took place. Bo's real first name was John.

Do you have any links to support the drug dealer part? I've searched him by his legal name "Severin John Boubede" however not a lot comes up about him, including how and where he passed away. Besides the Keddie Murders he is briefly mentioned in a few bank/robbery type crimes with James V. Rini who has some loose mob ties. Also I know his uncle Alvin was a bank robber as well. Just curious if he got "clipped" or if he passed away normally. Perhaps more intel on his whereabouts and whatabouts just prior to and after the Keddie Murders took place we would have a better idea of motive if he were to have participated in the crime.

Hi chitownb! I do not believe "Bo" was involved in large scale drug running or was a heavy hitter in the Chicago mob either. Alvin was his uncle and the Boubede family was close with Rini. Bo & Alvin were involved in robberies in the 50's as you said. By the time he wound up in Keddie, sleeping on Marty Smartt's couch, in 1981 he was 50 years old. He had been pulling fake advertising scams. That was the reason for he and Marty getting together, "to start a business venture" aka pull scams lol. They most likely met at the newly opened outpatient VA center in Reno, got to talking & decided to work together. Marty had lost his job at the Keddie restaurant by this point.

Bo died of some sort natural cause in 1988. I will find some more info & links to send your way :)

"Born in Cook County, Illinois, USA on 26 Jul 1931 to Severinus Gentil Boubede and Irene Cecelia Turpel. Severin John Boubede had 1 child. He passed away on 01 Nov 1988 in Cook County, Illinois, USA." Interesting this states he had one child, a boy.

Bo's death certificate

Attachments

• Bo's death certificate.jpg
    Bo's death certificate.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 10
I have to come back to this,""Marty and Bo ran back to 26- their cabin, 100 feet away, changed out of their bloody disco suits into jeans, and ran back to the Back Door to re-establish an alibi." Bo and Marty did not change out of their "disco suits". They took off their vests at home and returned to the bar in the same suites. "Loon stayed at 28, guarding the victims and keeping the smaller boys scared. As I originally theorized, it looks as though they had no clue Justin was in 28, which is a far more sensible conclusion than any other offered. (Sensible? The Smarts were aware Justin was staying the Sharps, he was with them most of the day). Every time I've brought it up, she's forgotten all about her favorite child, her younger son, who she'd abandoned for hours while drinking at the bar. She admitted leaving him alone, supposedly asleep, but has NEVER given any indication (to me or anyone else in any known report) that Justin had come to them about sleeping at 28. Justin was a non-entity in 26, and had spent almost the entire day with Rick Sharp. Sue dropped them off at the ballfield for tryouts early that Saturday, but it appears Marty picked up Justin. (Marty did not pick Justin up in Quincy, if he had, wouldn't that mean he knew where he was and who with?) Marty was proved to be in EQ at the time, a 32 yo drug dealer seen at the local video arcade. Why else would he be there? The same reports also state John had been there around the same time. Of course, this lines up: the arcade was across the intersection from the Meeks house. Less than 100 yards from where John had spent his last night on earth.

Back at the bar after the initial attacks, Bo and Marty quietly returned to 28 after Last Call. Two packs of Camels were found in the cabin. (It's known The camel's belonged to the boys, where's the report of them "smoking and acting silly"?)Sue smoked B&, Marty and Bo smoked Camels. Loon, too, I believe. One pack was empty, crumpled and abandoned on a bookshelf. The other pack, nearly full, was on the couch, on a bare spot where a cushion had been removed.

The cushion was probably meant to silence the violence to follow. It was placed on the floor in a small area lit by the bathroom light across the hallway. Although the killers probably brought a flashlights, the only light turned on during their entire time in 28 was that light. In turn, each victim (unk abt Tina) was placed on the cushion and assaulted. If Dana was still alive, he would have been first to be killed in the second volley. " I don't believe this is supported by the blood evidence.

I have to come back to this,""Marty and Bo ran back to 26- their cabin, 100 feet away, changed out of their bloody disco suits into jeans, and ran back to the Back Door to re-establish an alibi." Bo and Marty did not change out of their "disco suits". They took off their vests at home and returned to the bar in the same suites. "Loon stayed at 28, guarding the victims and keeping the smaller boys scared. As I originally theorized, it looks as though they had no clue Justin was in 28, which is a far more sensible conclusion than any other offered. (Sensible? The Smarts were aware Justin was staying the Sharps, he was with them most of the day). Every time I've brought it up, she's forgotten all about her favorite child, her younger son, who she'd abandoned for hours while drinking at the bar. She admitted leaving him alone, supposedly asleep, but has NEVER given any indication (to me or anyone else in any known report) that Justin had come to them about sleeping at 28. Justin was a non-entity in 26, and had spent almost the entire day with Rick Sharp. Sue dropped them off at the ballfield for tryouts early that Saturday, but it appears Marty picked up Justin. (Marty did not pick Justin up in Quincy, if he had, wouldn't that mean he knew where he was and who with?) Marty was proved to be in EQ at the time, a 32 yo drug dealer seen at the local video arcade. Why else would he be there? The same reports also state John had been there around the same time. Of course, this lines up: the arcade was across the intersection from the Meeks house. Less than 100 yards from where John had spent his last night on earth.

Back at the bar after the initial attacks, Bo and Marty quietly returned to 28 after Last Call. Two packs of Camels were found in the cabin. (It's known The camel's belonged to the boys, where's the report of them "smoking and acting silly"?)Sue smoked B&, Marty and Bo smoked Camels. Loon, too, I believe. One pack was empty, crumpled and abandoned on a bookshelf. The other pack, nearly full, was on the couch, on a bare spot where a cushion had been removed.

The cushion was probably meant to silence the violence to follow. It was placed on the floor in a small area lit by the bathroom light across the hallway. Although the killers probably brought a flashlights, the only light turned on during their entire time in 28 was that light. In turn, each victim (unk abt Tina) was placed on the cushion and assaulted. If Dana was still alive, he would have been first to be killed in the second volley. " I don't believe this is supported by the blood evidence.

I’d be interested to know what you might think happened that night, interesting post!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back