RI RI - Block Island, WhtMale 21-26, UP12707, sweatshirt w/"MANHASSET DAY OF CHAMPIONS IX", Jan'92

Manhasset Day of Champions (original run) was started in 1978 apparently, so if it was yearly the 9th would have been in 1987. It sounds like a yearly event - and also if it was every two years, the 9th would have taken place later than 1992. The 1987 Day of Champions took place on Saturday the 21st of March 1987, and featured a match between Virginia and Hobart College (now Hobart and William Smith Colleges). So that's the earliest that UID could have died I guess (unless for some reason he got a hoodie before the actual event. So the Day of Champions took place at the high school, but wasn't actually a high school championship or anything like that back then I think. Or at the least, it did also include this game as part of it.

I'm slightly leaning toward this young man having been a serious lacrosse player at some point though - he has healed injuries to ribs and signs of stress to the shoulders, both of which make me think lacrosse.

Alright - went to Namus and did a tight-fit search - I found one that I think is possibly this JD.

William Hokanson, Jr. He went out on a fishing trip with his dad, William Hokanson and his vessel was lost in the Atlantic Ocean - He went missing in 90', so it's not that likely his body stayed in the searchable water - Their boat was found - but they are both still missing at sea.

Missing Persons Case

Manhasset Day of Champions (original run) was started in 1978 apparently, so if it was yearly the 9th would have been in 1987. It sounds like a yearly event - and also if it was every two years, the 9th would have taken place later than 1992. The 1987 Day of Champions took place on Saturday the 21st of March 1987, and featured a match between Virginia and Hobart College (now Hobart and William Smith Colleges). So that's the earliest that UID could have died I guess (unless for some reason he got a hoodie before the actual event. So the Day of Champions took place at the high school, but wasn't actually a high school championship or anything like that back then I think. Or at the least, it did also include this game as part of it.
I'm slightly leaning toward this young man having been a serious lacrosse player at some point though - he has healed injuries to ribs and signs of stress to the shoulders, both of which make me think lacrosse.
More about the Manhasset Day of Champions from the Nassau County Lacrosse Coaches Association: "A staple of Nassau County lacrosse in the 80's was the annual Manhasset Day of Champions. Long before there was so much lacrosse on TV and social media, huge crowds would attend the event to see top level college games and the Manhasset boys play great competition."
Here's an article about it from the New York Times in March 1978: Lacrosse Pets A Special Day
It sounds like Manhasset High School would usually play another local Long Island high school team and then a couple of college teams in the area would also play.

"MANHASSET Johns Hopkins won the Division I lacrosse champion last season while Hobart walked to the Division III title. Perhaps the only difference in the two teams this season is experience. Johns Hopkins showed its maturity and guile yesterday when it outlasted the Statesmen's second-half rally for an 11-7 victory during the ninth annual Day of Champions. Johns Hopkins, ranked No. 1 in preseason polls, suffered its only loss last weekend to Syracuse, 11-10. Hobart, playing its season opener, scored three straight goals late in the third and early in the fourth quarter, trimming an 8-4 deficit to one goal..."
Democrat and Chronicle from Rochester, New York on March 16, 1986 · Page 6

Johns Hopkins and Hobart played the Day of Champions IX. We should also be looking there for our JD.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onapick
Back