SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you suggested MM was in her car and stopped on the road...dropping her phone or having it taken from her. However, there is also the possibility MM was walking on the road for exercise. I realize it was 9 or so, but the sun sets late in the summer, and it is cooler when you walk at dusk. I walk my dogs sometimes at this time. Maybe she and PM were walking a dog together. Just thinking....
If I owned 1000+ acres I wouldn't walk my dog on the road.

This business about the phone is really bugging me - I am trying to see this investigation in a positive way - that law enforcement is covering all the bases. But now we learn that a relative had MM's phone because he pinged it. What the heck? Isn't securing all electronics, like, LE 101?

I am not familiar with SC law, but now, even if they can find fingerprints, touch DNA, or biological evidence on the phone, the problem is chain of custody. Granted, this scenario has the murderers touching the phone and discarding it so I may be reaching. But... Jeez.

I want so much to believe this investigation is being done in a fair and appropriate way, but this phone discovery is not helping.

Two random thoughts (I haven’t read all the pages to know if this has been tossed out.)

I wonder if MM’s purse was at the scene. Maybe she kept her phone in her purse and her purse was taken as a perceived added bonus. Maybe the perps thought there would be some cash in it. As they plunder through they first toss the phone out to avoid any tracking.

Thinking about the location being near the dog kennels, I wonder if they had a dog for sale, or maybe had plans to purchase a dog. The perp arrives under the disguise of planning to buy or sale a dog.

A cell phone belonging to Maggie Murdaugh was found on the road outside the 1,700-acre Colleton County estate the day after she and her son Paul were slain, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

Although Paul Murdaugh’s cell phone was found near his body on the night of the killings June 7, investigators were unable to locate Maggie Murdaugh’s cell phone that night, the sources said.

It wasn’t until the next day, Tuesday, June 8, that a family member using his cell phone’s ability to “ping” Maggie Murdaugh’s cell phone found the phone on his digital cell phone map, sources said.

At that point, Maggie Murdaugh’s cell phone was retrieved and was given to the State Law Enforcement Division, the sources said.

The sources did not know whether SLED was able to find any touch DNA or fingerprints from the cell phone. Touch DNA, a modern scientific crime analysis technique, can be left on an object’s surface by someone’s mere “touch” and consists of skin cells containing DNA that can then be linked to a specific person.
https://www.islandpacket.com/article252301778.html

More information for those who couldn't read the story. I registered finally :)

thank you SO much, Knox! I’m all out of my free articles!

Two random thoughts (I haven’t read all the pages to know if this has been tossed out.)

I wonder if MM’s purse was at the scene. Maybe she kept her phone in her purse and her purse was taken as a perceived added bonus. Maybe the perps thought there would be some cash in it. As they plunder through they first toss the phone out to avoid any tracking.

Thinking about the location being near the dog kennels, I wonder if they had a dog for sale, or maybe had plans to purchase a dog. The perp arrives under the disguise of planning to buy or sale a dog.

That would most likely show up in some kind of communications with their phones or net? It does seem like they (perp) may have been welcomed at first with the lack of evidence showing a car had speed in or out of there.

So police were not able to locate Maggie's phone and then it was later delivered to them by the Murdaugh family. Hm.

I assume that the phone's actual ping data will be compared to its reported movements, as opposed to using a "find my phone" feature which is what a family member would do - and, I would think immediately upon learning it was not located.

Actual pings are something that phones just regularly do to confirm they're within range of a tower or towers. They can triangulate the phone's historical position from them pretty accurately these days but also these days most people's phone's have at least one app on them that checks their gps position constantly.

Maggie's phone, properly analyzed, may offer a plethora of circumstantial evidence.

So police were not able to locate Maggie's phone and then it was later delivered to them by the Murdaugh family. Hm.

I assume that the phone's actual ping data will be compared to its reported movements, as opposed to using a "find my phone" feature which is what a family member would do - and, I would think immediately upon learning it was not located.

Actual pings are something that phones just regularly do to confirm they're within range of a tower or towers. They can triangulate the phone's historical position from them pretty accurately these days but also these days most people's phone's have at least one app on them that checks their gps position constantly.

Maggie's phone, properly analyzed, may offer a plethora of circumstantial evidence.

I don’t see why SLED didn’t search the phone out. I’m sure they have the tech.

‘At the time of Smith’s death, Paul and his brother Buster were both interviewed as persons of interest
but the investigation never went further than that.’ Quote from article.

First reporting to my knowledge that both brothers were interviewed as POI. I wonder if that is correct reporting? I’m a bit doubtful.
We don't know if Paul and Buster were the only ones interviewed. I wish we could see a copy of that investigation.

SC has very loose gun laws. I personally know people who are “gun dealers” that often buy-sell-trade guns and want no government involvement at all. Gun show parking lots are very often the point of sale and nobody knows anything. Firearms are as easily found as heat and humidity here.
I’m from SC and you are correct. There is also no gun registry here. I am currently staying here in SC taking care of my elderly mother.

Thinking about the cell phones….

PM’s was left at the scene. Does that mean that he was killed so quickly that the cell phone was no threat to the killers? But MM’s cell phone had to be taken away from her, because she had a chance to use it… and so it was taken and discarded?

Does that mean that at some point, they had to forcibly take that cell phone from her?

Does that mean that their interaction with MM was longer, more complex?

They didn’t just shoot her immediately. There was enough interaction that they had to grab the phone before she used it?
Or to make it look like a robbery or something to throw off LE.

I don’t see why SLED didn’t search the phone out. I’m sure they have the tech.
They would have needed a warrant and let's just say it wouldn't surprise me if the judges in that country were slower about issuing warrants than we might expect judges to be.

It's fine though, Webleuths are aware that there is tons of information about cell phone use and location backed up in multiple redundant places. It will be established sooner or later.

They would have needed a warrant and let's just say it wouldn't surprise me if the judges in that country were slower about issuing warrants than we might expect judges to be.

It's fine though, Webleuths are aware that there is tons of information about cell phone use and location backed up in multiple redundant places. It will be established sooner or later.

Would they need a warrant to find the murder victims phone? I thought that would be automatic but we are getting a bunch of “unusuals” with this.

Thinking about the cell phones….

PM’s was left at the scene. Does that mean that he was killed so quickly that the cell phone was no threat to the killers? But MM’s cell phone had to be taken away from her, because she had a chance to use it… and so it was taken and discarded?

Does that mean that at some point, they had to forcibly take that cell phone from her?

Does that mean that their interaction with MM was longer, more complex?

They didn’t just shoot her immediately. There was enough interaction that they had to grab the phone before she used it?

PM cell being on him (shorts pocket) is a great theory. I was thinking maybe his was not on him and that’s why they didn’t take it. Maybe he left it on or in something nearby (close to the body per articles) but out of sight. (Out of mind)

I was thinking maybe she had hers out trying to make a call or recording (Delphi) and they took it by force but your theory of it being inside a purse/bag makes sense. I rarely see my keys these days thanks to push start and if a phone is hooked to car, depending on how long before she got out of the car, could still be inside of something.
IMO

But if they discarded it, (and close to the killing) what was the purpose of taking it in the first place?
The killer may have taken it from her as someone suggested because she was calling 911. Perhaps Paul was shot Immediately on sight because he was the target. Maybe Maggie grabbed her phone to call for help when he was shot, ..maybe the killer was apologizing politely about having to kill because they knew each other but she was a witness and she dialed during that opportunity.The killer Tossed it on the way out.

Here is a double homicide in a rural area that had some similarities.

In this case it was a father and daughter who were robbed by meth heads and then killed supposedly for fear of being identified.

Given all of the meth arrests in the area, I think this sort of scenario is a real possibility.

In this old case, they bound the victims probably because the perps were unarmed. They robbed them and then used the victim’s gun to shoot them later.

ETA such a scenario could explain why a gun was possibly left at the scene and also why someone would be bound but then also killed. Finally it could explain the uptick in meth arrests post double homicide.

Man, 19, admits guilt in slaying of 2 in farmhouse

$5 million bond for each Mercer Co. murder suspect

GUILTY - OH - Robert, 70, & Colleen Grube, 47, murdered, Fort Recovery, 30 Nov 2011

Last edited:
This business about the phone is really bugging me - I am trying to see this investigation in a positive way - that law enforcement is covering all the bases. But now we learn that a relative had MM's phone because he pinged it. What the heck? Isn't securing all electronics, like, LE 101?

Snipped and BBM

We don't know that a relative had MM's cell phone. The article states the relative located it on a digital map. The location of the phone could have been turned over to LE and LE then retrieved the phone.

I am not familiar with SC law, but now, even if they can find fingerprints, touch DNA, or biological evidence on the phone, the problem is chain of custody. Granted, this scenario has the murderers touching the phone and discarding it so I may be reaching. But... Jeez.

I want so much to believe this investigation is being done in a fair and appropriate way, but this phone discovery is not helping.

I'm right along with you on this phone business. Things are getting a little too sticky for my liking.
MOO

I'm right along with you on this phone business. Things are getting a little too sticky for my liking.

I have no confidence that we will ever hear the truth about what is going on in this case. It all smells to high heaven. Mallory Beach's family and Stephen Smith's family will never see justice as well as long as this family seemingly 'owns' the town. Very frustrating.

I’m assuming that the red arrow is pointing toward the dog kennel in this picture. I guess that could be cages for quails or other game birds also. Most people that I know that own hunting lodges keep quails so there will always be some to hunt. I wonder if those 2 white pick up trucks that look like they are pointing like they’ve been drove across the field from the main house are law enforcement or family.

Attachments

• E7AEA56A-37F9-4D7A-BF84-5F4F746D00A3.jpeg
    E7AEA56A-37F9-4D7A-BF84-5F4F746D00A3.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors