Found Deceased SC - Samuel Laundon, 19, Columbia, 10 Oct 2020

bittybean

Not Really New Member
Reaction score
University of South Carolina student Samuel Laundon missing | wltx.com

COLUMBIA, S.C. — The Richland County Sheriff's Department is continuing the search for a missing University of South Carolina student.

Investigators will launch a helicopter Sunday afternoon to perform an aerial search of the area where 19-year-old Samuel Laundon was last reported seen.

On Saturday, RCSD conducted a K-9 search, a search on foot and have used an aerial drone in the Olympia area between Georgia Street and Rivers Edge apartments off Huger Street.

So far, the investigation has revealed that Laundon was walking home with friends in the Olympia-Granby area when they got lost around 2:30 a.m. Saturday. Laundon jumped a fence in hopes of reaching his destination faster. When his friends called a ride-share service to take them home, Laundon declined to join them.

According to Laundon's family, he is a sophomore majoring in international business. Sam is the youngest of three brothers. Thomas Laundon, Sam's oldest brother, says he is, "super smart, friendly and well-loved by everybody."

A missing person's report was filed just before 1 p.m. Saturday for the 19-year-old.

He was last seen in a green t-shirt, white shorts, blue jacket, and black shoes.

Anyone who has any information or may know of his whereabouts is asked to call 911.​

‘I don’t know where you are, but I promise I’ll see you soon’: Brother of missing UofSC freshman reacts to ongoing search

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - The family of a University of South Carolina student reported missing is praying for their youngest to come home.

UofSC student Samuel Laundon, 19, was reported missing around 1 p.m. Saturday, according to Richland County Sheriff’s Department.

“Sam is the youngest brother, he’s the baby in the family. We all look out for him and want to protect him, and just want the best for him,” said Thomas Laundon.

Officials say Samuel Laundon was last seen in the Olympia-Granby area. He was wearing a green t-shirt, white shorts, a blue jacket, and black shoes.

Thomas Laundon says they’ve been told Laundon was outside a party early Saturday morning, around 2:30 A.M., when he hopped over a fence.

“Sam is the quietest most well-behaved kid out of all of us. It doesn’t seem like him to just leave his girlfriend at 2:30 in the morning after leaving a party. He would’ve walked her home. He would never leave his friends and his family behind like this. Something seems weird about this, definitely,” Thomas Laundon said.

He says his youngest brother loves the Tennessee Titans, hiking, and Mexican food. He was JROTC in high school and worked at a nursing home over the summer. Thomas Laundon said his brother doesn’t do drugs and “is loving and smart.”

Laundon said his parents and other brothers are in Columbia to assist with the search for Sam and appreciate everyone’s outpouring of support.

He encourages everyone to let law enforcement do their jobs and to send in any tips to the family or officials if they know of anything.

“He’s strong. He has taken wilderness training. He is the youngest of two brothers...he is a tough, strong guy,” Thomas Laundon said of Sam.

The eldest Laundon brother also has a message for his little brother.

“We love you, Sam, if you’re somewhere with a phone or somewhere with a TV if you don’t want to talk to anyone you can come up to Maine at my house. You are always welcome at my house...I’ll come to Texas, I’ll come to California, I don’t know where you are, but I’ll see you soon. I promise, I’ll see you soon,” he said.

RCSD has conducted a K-9 search, a search on foot, and have used an aerial drone around the area. RCSD’s helicopter is also expected to conduct an aerial search.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crimestoppers by calling 1-888-CRIME-SC (888-274-6372).

Copyright 2020 WIS. All rights reserved.​

681-C423-B-E058-403-F-B353-0445-E11-FFF4-B.jpg

Sadly, an update to this article was done right after it was posted.

Body found during search for UofSC student Samuel Laudon | wltx.com

COLUMBIA, S.C. — The Richland County Sheriff's Department has called off the search for a missing University of South Carolina after they say a body fitting his description was discovered.

Deputies made the announcement Sunday night as an update in their efforts to find 19-year-old Samuel Laundon.

Officers say the remains were found in some shrubbery in the Martin Marietta Cayce Quarry. The Richland County Coroner’s Office will conduct an autopsy to confirm the man’s identity and determine his cause of death.

Was coming to update or take the post down. Awful. Was so hoping for a different outcome. A river separates the area where he went missing and where he was found. So sorry for the family, ugh.

This article states he was found at Vulcan Materials Quarry, which would be on the same side where he went missing. No idea which reporting is correct on this. :/

Richland County Sheriff's Department suspends search for missing 19 year old after body found - ABC Columbia

COLUMBIA, SC (WOLO) The Richland County Sheriff’s Department has suspended the search for a missing 19 year old University of South Carolina student, after a man fitting his description was found among shrubbery in the Vulcan Materials Company Quarry.

After reading the newest WLTX article, I believe the Vulcan Materials Quarry is the correct location.

Search for missing USC student Sam Laundon ends | wltx.com

After looking in and around the Vulcan Materials Company quarry Saturday and Sunday, police announced they found a man's body matching Laundon's description.

Laundon, a 19-year-old student at the University of South Carolina, went missing around 2:30 AM Saturday outside of the quarry on Georgia and Dover streets. Police reports say Laundon was last seen hopping a fence in that area.

Such a sad, tragic case: Coroner releases cause of death for UofSC student reported missing, then found dead

"The coroner’s office said Laundon, who was from Cary, North Carolina, died from blunt force trauma to the head and body.

People who live near the quarry describe the area as dangerous, saying it’s a steep drop from the road into the area where Laundon was found."

USC student missing since early Saturday, last seen on Georgia Street

“I was the last one there," a USC student said. "Most of the people left at that point. He and I were just in the backyard; he was comforting me through that.”

Laundon was last seen by Joseph wearing a green t-shirt, white shorts, a blue jacket and black shoes. Joseph had called an Uber, and Laundon jumped a nearby fence before the Uber arrived.

“[H]e jumped it before the uber and refused to come back when the uber arrived and I had to get people home so I left,” Joseph said in a text.”

I was envisioning he and his friend sitting in the backyard and he jumped the fence that adjoined the yard of the house they were attending a big party.

Sounds like a fence that surrounds the quarry.

I was envisioning he and his friend sitting in the backyard and he jumped the fence that adjoined the yard of the house they were attending a big party.

Sounds like a fence that surrounds the quarry.

I wish I knew exactly where he supposedly "jumped" the fence. I've seen articles saying Georgia Street, but I've also seen Rosewood mentioned.

Fencing at the intersection of Georgia and Dover Streets appears to be topped with barbed and maybe razor wire. Doesn't appear to be easily jumpable, but I'm many decades removed from being 19. JMOO

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Use 3D view at Georgia & Dover Street intersection - note the steep drop-off :

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

I wish I knew exactly where he supposedly "jumped" the fence. I've seen articles saying Georgia Street, but I've also seen Rosewood mentioned.

Fencing at the intersection of Georgia and Dover Streets appears to be topped with barbed and maybe razor wire. Doesn't appear to be easily jumpable, but I'm many decades removed from being 19. JMOO

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Use 3D view at Georgia & Dover Street intersection - note the steep drop-off :

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
Wow, amazing how well camouflaged that quarry is on the street view compared to how terrifying it is on the 3D aerial view. Only somewhat small black and white signs saying "no trespassing - open pit" on the fences along the public road and the fences beyond the quarry gates look much less obstructive. I could imagine someone at 2:30 am after a party thinking they might find a short cut home back there. You would think the people living in that neighborhood would be aware they're basically on the edge of an abyss but they probably like to not think about it.

If you're from that area, I think you know the quarry is right there. Plus there is a few yards beyond the fence before the first drop which doesn't look that steep, and more still before the first bank of the quarry. The reports say shrubbery so I'm wondering if he was found in the thick shrubs that line the fence vs over the drop. What would have made him do that? If he climbed it, there should be evidence of that right? If he was thrown over, not so much...

Just an odd footnote about another accidental death this week at the same site where Samuel died. Interesting video of the quarry. Another tragic case.

In all the times I've been to Columbia (my daughter and her family live there), I've never known this quarry existed. Such a strange place for a quarry, so close to popular neighborhoods (although I guess the quarry was there first). We're house hunting and have even looked at houses in the Rosewood area nearby.

RIP to Samuel and to the quarry worker who also died from "full body blunt trauma."

Man dies in workplace accident at Vulcan rock quarry in Columbia | wltx.com

Last edited:
Any idea why this is being mentioned in connection with the Paul Murdaugh case? Did they know each other? I think PM also went to school in Columbia?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back