AZ AZ - Pima Co, "Juan Miguel Velazquez Navarro", Hispanic male, between 16-20, found 8/10/03

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Grungster

Reaction score
The circumstances regarding this decedent's death are vague, but this thread is based on all the information given to the public (via NamUS and NCMEC). (Presumably) on Tuesday, August 5, 2003, a group of undocumented migrants attempted to enter the United States, via Arizona. This teenager was one of those migrants. On Sunday, August 10, 2003, the other migrants discovered that they had left this man behind somewhere along their trip, and asked utility workers to call 911. After searching, authorities found the teen's body, approximately 7.2 miles northwest from the entrance of the Schuk Toak Farms on the Tohono O'Odham Nation Reservation, in Pima County Arizona. He is believed to have been there for 2-5 days before he was found. No information online shows that his cause of death was ever released to the public, however it seems likely he succumbed to the hot Arizona desert after being left behind, or had an accident while trying to catch up with the other migrants. In his possession, they found a black leather wallet, containing a note written in Spanish. When translated, it read

What is a jeta mule? It is a sauce boat.

What is a mat? Is a stone to grind corn

In my opinion, this note was probably a guide to learning English. Also found in the wallet was a Mexican voters ID card, with a photo highly resembling the decedent. It contained the name "Juan Miguel Velazquez Navarro", who was 19, and a fingerprint of the person in the photo (presumably). However, the fingerprint did not match the decedent's and the name "Juan Miguel Velazquez Navarro" is thought to be an alias, as no one under that name and description has ever been located.
Original

The NCMEC have done two reconstructions of the victim, with one being released just days ago. If you have any information regarding this teenager, please look at Juan's NamUS and NCMEC profiles below.
NCMU1184100x1.jpg

NamUS The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) WARNING: In the near future, post mortem images may be posted on Juan's profile

NCMEC Have you seen this child?

No doubt he has relatives out there wondering what happened to him. There must be many thousands of families from Mexico alone suffering in this way. :( IMO

Yeah, since he may have been trying to migrate, it's possible border patrol might not even care about him or has classified him as a criminal.

From: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Circumstances of Recovery
Undocumented migrants asked utility workers to call 911 for them, because they had left this individual behind. The decedent was carrying a Mexican ID card issued to "Juan Miguel Velazquez Navarro" , however the fingerprint on the back of the Mexican ID card does not match with the decedent. It is not clear if this ID belongs to the deceased, or whether it is a fake document.

Circumstance Notes
The following individuals have been excluded through a fingerprint comparison: the fingerprint on the back of the ID card found with the decedent (possibly Juan Miguel Velazquez Navarro), Guatemalan National Fredi Maximiliano Sacche Alfaro, and Guatemalan National Keny Bautista Elias

Clothing and Accessories
Accessories: Black Wallet with paper inside (see image), Near the Body

Clothing: A pair of blue pants, brand and size unknown
A gray shirt
A black belt. On the buckle are the words "Firenze Italy"
A pair of blue briefs-style underpants, brand "Cipa," On the Body
Footwear: A pair dark blue or black socks
A pair of black shoes, size 38, brand unknown

The ID card and note found in his pocket:
Thumbnail.jpg

Thumbnail (1).jpg

I'm almost positive there's another thread for this UID where it talks about the note possibly being for kitchen/restaurant work. If he was from a different country, he might have had to learn that in Mexico the bowl for making salsa is called the "molcajete" and that the regional word "matate" as the stone to grind corn.

I'm almost positive there's another thread for this UID where it talks about the note possibly being for kitchen/restaurant work. If he was from a different country, he might have had to learn that in Mexico the bowl for making salsa is called the "molcajete" and that the regional word "matate" as the stone to grind corn.

Very interesting....and a very good observation.

Did not know the term "molcajete" was confined to Mexico. According to wikipedia, the South American term is Batan....
Molcajete - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I assume this person obtained this ID card, so that they could either enter Mexico or temporarily reside in Mexico. It is either "fake", stolen or bought. He could be from South or Central America based on the words in this pocket.

I hadn't checked this thread for a while, even though I created it, however some of you have some very good theories on the notebook. A theory that I have is that he overheard some of his fellow migrants talking about a "row mule" and wrote that down just to remember.

RBBM

This might not be significant, but the bowl-like stone to grind corn is spelled with an e, “metate” (and the smaller stone you hold in your hand is called the “mano”). The spelling difference makes what’s on his paper a little more confusing. Did he simply misspell? Does it mean something else?

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadMonique24
Back