MI MI - Chelsea Small, 30, Taylor, shot at work (gun silencer used), 12 Nov 2013

A few noteworthy points.

Chelsea had two children by a long term boyfriend named Rick Farley. They had separated a year or so earlier but were said to still get along and do things together with the kid. There was presumably child support and custody arrangements that can always be a serious source of conflict but there is no indication that anything acrimonious going at the time. He had a blue collar job and no criminal record. On the surface he would have neither the means nor the motive to hire a hit man to kill her. Apparently Chelsea’s family does not suspect him and there are no indications that Law Enforcement is treating him like a suspect. Chelsea was a single mother with no money, no known involvement in any criminal activity and no apparent reasons why anyone would want or benefit from her death. All of this weighs against the possibility that this was any kind of targeted murder but some people do have their secrets so we can never be sure.

The employee who was scheduled to work that day was male so hit man error is unlikely.

The perpetrator wore a bill hat that is often worn on crimes where a security camera is possible because they are generally placed high up on the wall pointing down so the bill of the hat shields the face. That is why we don’t have a good facial image. Many if not most armed robberies do not involve face covering because most witnesses are unable to provide an accurate enough description to be of any use ( as long as they are not known) and the wearing of a mask would be an early tip off that a robbery was going down. The guy appears to have been well prepared for a routine armed robbery.

The guy knew the door to the back area would not open from the lobby but he went straight for the other side to open it. I suspect he had scouted out how the door operated; possibly by pretending to be a client at that shop or one in that region of Michigan. Was security video from other Advance America shops reviewed?

I am inclined to think the guy was basically an armed robber with a well thought out plan but he screwed up and panicked when he saw her reach for the alarm. A lot of armed robberies go bad when something unexpected happens. I would like to see the video of the initial shooting. It might tell us a lot.

Do we know if TK spent time any significant time in and/or around Michigan? AFAIK, all of TK’s victims were killed in upstate South Carolina or eastern Georgia (near the SC/GA border).
I haven't been able to find anything really about Michigan or 2013, just this snippet from this very interesting article,
"In 2013, Kohlhepp earned his pilot's license, a childhood dream he had mentioned in his psychological evaluations.
It's unclear when and where he flew."

Kohlhepp driven by anger
Estimated height of suspect at Advance America is 5'10 - KT is 5'11.
upload_2021-7-2_16-40-18.png

Last edited:
I am inclined to think the guy was basically an armed robber with a well thought out plan but he screwed up and panicked when he saw her reach for the alarm. A lot of armed robberies go bad when something unexpected happens. I would like to see the video of the initial shooting. It might tell us a lot.
I agree. My problem is that he showed up with a lot of firepower for such a small venue. He could have just as easily menaced her with a water pistol.
Another problem...the execution. Seems to me he might have had some military training.

Kohlhepp was driven by more than just anger, I think though anger is certainly a factor, i feel too many simply label him "just was an angry person"

Todd is a psychopath, who thrived on control , once he felt challenged in any way , he killed whomever dared do so

In many ways he was (is) like Christian Bale's character in the movie "American Psycho"

Do you reckon the police have looked into TK and ruled him out of this case? I'd be interested to know, because to me, looking at LE's description of the perpetrator in Chelsea's case it's pretty much a perfect fit for TK ..... he ticks these boxes, age 42, white, bushy hair, height 5'11, knows everything about guns, has gone into a store and randomly shot workers before, looks similar in the footage, and the shoe size looks like a close match. Also, he could have had a grudge against finance companies in general and he would know his way around offices, etc, being a realtor, one would imagine. I have to say, it's pretty interesting. Haven't seen a pic of TK though from 2013 and we don't know if he has accounted for his whereabouts on that day. We don't know if that's a wig under that hat either. Maybe he was on holidays, out of town, I mean, it's not that far away.
Has anyone got any samples of what those tags could be on his trousers?

Kohlhepp fits the basic description of the Advance America and the Gun Store guy but so do a couple million other guys in the Eastern US. Presumably after his arrest, all of his firearms were inventoried by the FBI. It would be interesting to know if any suppressors were found.

Kohlhepp was characterized as a successful realtor but he may have supplemented his income with high “rewards to risk ratio” property crimes but it has not been disclosed that he is suspected of any.

I think our guy also did the Gun Shop caper, find one of the missing suppressors and everything just might fall into place.

Kohlhepp fits the basic description of the Advance America and the Gun Store guy but so do a couple million other guys in the Eastern US. Presumably after his arrest, all of his firearms were inventoried by the FBI. It would be interesting to know if any suppressors were found.

Kohlhepp was characterized as a successful realtor but he may have supplemented his income with high “rewards to risk ratio” property crimes but it has not been disclosed that he is suspected of any.

I think our guy also did the Gun Shop caper, find one of the missing suppressors and everything just might fall into place.
I hope it's not a couple of million of other guys who have shot people in a store previously matching this description, hey, be lucky if anyone's still standing .... but yeah, I get what you mean. Guy in gun store may have been a seller, not a shooter, that's also possible. Shoe size and gait could be the key confirming a match .... has anyone done any comparisons with photos? Will give it a try later too.

I haven't been able to find anything really about Michigan or 2013, just this snippet from this very interesting article,
"In 2013, Kohlhepp earned his pilot's license, a childhood dream he had mentioned in his psychological evaluations.
It's unclear when and where he flew."

Kohlhepp driven by anger
Estimated height of suspect at Advance America is 5'10 - KT is 5'11.
View attachment 303184

FOX 2 Detroit
rbbm.
Convicted serial killer Todd Kohlhepp reportedly claims more victims

''In a letter to the Herald-Journal in Spartanburg, South Carolina, Kohlhepp, 46, said he had tried to tell investigators about his other victims, "but it was blown off."

"Yes there is more than seven," Kohlhepp wrote in the eight-page letter. "I tried to tell investigators and I did tell FBI, but it was blown off. It's not an addition problem, it's an multiplication problem. Leaves the state and leaves the country. Thank you private pilot's license."

Why the state didn't seek death for Todd Kohlhepp
''Kohlhepp was a pilot who flew to other parts of the country. Barnette mentioned Texas and also said investigators found more than 30 guns on his property. Authorities are checking those guns and shell casings for matches in other homicides across the country, Barnette said.''

FOX 2 Detroit
rbbm.
Convicted serial killer Todd Kohlhepp reportedly claims more victims

''In a letter to the Herald-Journal in Spartanburg, South Carolina, Kohlhepp, 46, said he had tried to tell investigators about his other victims, "but it was blown off."

"Yes there is more than seven," Kohlhepp wrote in the eight-page letter. "I tried to tell investigators and I did tell FBI, but it was blown off. It's not an addition problem, it's an multiplication problem. Leaves the state and leaves the country. Thank you private pilot's license."

Why the state didn't seek death for Todd Kohlhepp
''Kohlhepp was a pilot who flew to other parts of the country. Barnette mentioned Texas and also said investigators found more than 30 guns on his property. Authorities are checking those guns and shell casings for matches in other homicides across the country, Barnette said.''
Really interesting article dotr, thanks for posting it, your bolded sentences are particularly troubling, hey.
Maybe there are some shoe measurement experts out there who can make something of this - for shoe comparison, the only close-up I could find of TK's feet is this one taken from this bit of footage:
Serial killer Todd Kohlhepp heading into court Friday morning
TKohlheppshoes.pngperpshoes.png

I was brought here by the True Crime Garage episodes on Chelsea. I had not heard of her case previously.

I don't think I'm sold on this being targeted for her simply due to the fact that she switched shifts and was not supposed to work that day. Questions I have:
-Did she work a regular schedule? Or was it different week to week? Had she worked several previous Tuesdays?
-Who all knew that she switched shifts and would be at work that day?

I could see someone targeting an employee and trying to make it LOOK like a robbery turned murder by stealing some cash after the fact. But if this was targeted, it would either have to be someone she knew well (I doubt it as she didn't appear to recognize them, nor did her family), or someone she knew well who HIRED someone else to kill her, or someone associated with this business.

I suppose she could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time and he intended to rob it at that time on that day because he had cased the place and figured out it was the least busy then, and he intended to shoot whoever was unlucky enough to be working that day. It seems like to go through all that trouble, you would steal more money than he did, but who knows? I'm also not a criminal. MOO

I'm also curious about the comment in an article posted earlier in this thread about her grave being vandalized and items stolen. I'd love more info on that. It could be a run of the mill kid or person up to no good who went into a cemetery and messed stuff up. Or it could be more...

Do you reckon the police have looked into TK and ruled him out of this case? I'd be interested to know, because to me, looking at LE's description of the perpetrator in Chelsea's case it's pretty much a perfect fit for TK ..... he ticks these boxes, age 42, white, bushy hair, height 5'11, knows everything about guns, has gone into a store and randomly shot workers before, looks similar in the footage, and the shoe size looks like a close match. Also, he could have had a grudge against finance companies in general and he would know his way around offices, etc, being a realtor, one would imagine. I have to say, it's pretty interesting. Haven't seen a pic of TK though from 2013 and we don't know if he has accounted for his whereabouts on that day. We don't know if that's a wig under that hat either. Maybe he was on holidays, out of town, I mean, it's not that far away.
Has anyone got any samples of what those tags could be on his trousers?

Unless theres some linking evidence its all just speculation, but remember there have been identical crimes, committed before that almost seemed "too coincidental" many times, and they turned out not to be related.

I personally dont think Kohlhepp was responsible for this case, he had a successful business, he was well off finalcially, I cant see him just walking into a check cashing store to kill a woman hoping for a payoff

Kohlhepp, was all about control, that was the underlying theme to his crimes, in the Superbike murders, Im willing to bed that he felt he lost control by trying to intimidate them, when they didnt balk and take the bike back under threats, he decided to start shooting .

IE He LOST control

A psychopath usually does things to gain some form of self gratification,

In this case if killing Small was the motive, then why try to make it look like a robbery? he knows theres cameras, and police surmise he knew the alarm was tripped, and thats a chance for more evidence to be left.

If it was really about robbery why not make her show you where the money is THEN kill they victim after ? , or not at all ?

First thing Id do is leave no stone un-turned in her background, then id look into any similar attempted robberies in the area.

Unless theres some linking evidence its all just speculation, but remember there have been identical crimes, committed before that almost seemed "too coincidental" many times, and they turned out not to be related.

I personally dont think Kohlhepp was responsible for this case, he had a successful business, he was well off finalcially, I cant see him just walking into a check cashing store to kill a woman hoping for a payoff

Kohlhepp, was all about control, that was the underlying theme to his crimes, in the Superbike murders, Im willing to bed that he felt he lost control by trying to intimidate them, when they didnt balk and take the bike back under threats, he decided to start shooting .

IE He LOST control

A psychopath usually does things to gain some form of self gratification,

In this case if killing Small was the motive, then why try to make it look like a robbery? he knows theres cameras, and police surmise he knew the alarm was tripped, and thats a chance for more evidence to be left.

If it was really about robbery why not make her show you where the money is THEN kill they victim after ? , or not at all ?

First thing Id do is leave no stone un-turned in her background, then id look into any similar attempted robberies in the area.
Some guys need money, walk into a convenience store, demand whatever is in the till, then shoot the cashier. One, two, three. I suspect there are more of these type robbers, than robbers who fly all over the country to pull off jobs that net them very little.

I doubt this was a hit. Why risk exposure on CCTV if you can hit her elsewhere when she's alone?

I'm also curious about the comment in an article posted earlier in this thread about her grave being vandalized and items stolen. I'd love more info on that. It could be a run of the mill kid or person up to no good who went into a cemetery and messed stuff up. Or it could be more...
Sorry unintended bolding.
Vandals target murder victim’s gravestone in Gibraltar
''GIBRALTAR, Mich. – A family is searching for answers after a woman’s final resting place was damaged by vandals last week.''

“It is everything to us. It means the world because that’s our love, that’s our sister,” said Small’s sister, Tiffany Small.''

''Her grave site with her keepsakes -- ceramic angels and dolphins -- in Gibraltar has been the family’s gathering place. Her children also wrote messages on rocks and placed them there.''

"The family received a text from Chelsea Small’s mother from the cemetery that her memorial had been stripped clean of everything.''

''Family made sure it wasn’t a maintenance mistake.''

Sorry unintended bolding.
Vandals target murder victim’s gravestone in Gibraltar
''GIBRALTAR, Mich. – A family is searching for answers after a woman’s final resting place was damaged by vandals last week.''

“It is everything to us. It means the world because that’s our love, that’s our sister,” said Small’s sister, Tiffany Small.''

''Her grave site with her keepsakes -- ceramic angels and dolphins -- in Gibraltar has been the family’s gathering place. Her children also wrote messages on rocks and placed them there.''

"The family received a text from Chelsea Small’s mother from the cemetery that her memorial had been stripped clean of everything.''

''Family made sure it wasn’t a maintenance mistake.''
Thanks for this. I've been looking for this for a while.
Let's see...
On the one hand, you have vandals willing to fill whatever hole lives in their psyche by making asses of themselves for attention.
On the other hand, you might have someone thoroughly pissed, because this poor dead woman is stealing their thunder.
Or, he's killed "an angel". Heavy stuff and worthy of a trophy, if that's the way your sick mind works. Her angel. Her dolphins. Her rocks. I'm still in control. I stole her life. Stealing her "stuff" means I'm still in charge.

I remember Denise Brown relating the story of O.J. Simpson only days after his release. The Browns received a call from the graveyard where Nicole Brown was buried. The groundskeepers were concerned, because O.J. had shown up and was yelling at Nicole's grave and kicking her headstone. They wanted to know what the Browns wanted them to do about it. The Browns replied, "Call the police."

Apparently, dead isn't good enough for some people, nor does it quench whatever rage compels them to murder. They want control extending as far as the imperishable.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janewiththedogs
Back