SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
From https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/n...PmHvNYcqsv-ZHUB2ED-BBg4fEPxczjCUKWwVryOgzd16M

"▪ New details about a heated exchange at the crash scene: In the sworn deposition of DNR Lt. Robin Camlin, Renee Beach’s lawyer asks whether investigators at the scene reported Anthony Cook telling police “Paul Murdaugh killed my girlfriend” or that Anthony Cook yelled “I hope you rot in f------ jail,” at Murdaugh. She said she didn’t recall either of those details.

However Cpl. John Keener, who was at the scene of the crash, told lawyers that Anthony Cook “was trying to fight the Murdaugh kid. So that’s why we thought the Murdaugh kid was driving at the time.”

Another officer who was at the scene wrote in a report that Anthony Cook was screaming, his language laced with profanities.

”I hate them mother------- for not letting me drive the G-- damn boat. That mother------ needs to rot in f------ prison. He ain’t going to get in no f------ trouble. Bo, you f------ smiling like that like it’s f------ funny.· My f------ girlfriend’s gone, Bo. You think you’re f------ funny? I hope you rot in f------ hell.”

When read the quote in court, Keener said he didn’t remember exactly what Anthony Cook said but agreed he was “hot” with anger."

After all I have read about what happened before the boat crash I can believe AC saying that.

This explains SC laws on Boating Under the Influence

South Carolina BUI Laws: Consequences, Offenses, Jail Time

A highlights:

“When you are operating a boat, you are presumed to have given your implied consent to agree to taking a blood or breath test if ever arrested for BUI. Many people do not realize this when they are operating a boat. If you refuse a blood or breath test for a BUI, there will be consequences.”

The only real consequence I could find to refusing a blood or breath test for alcohol was it can be used against you in court. The prosecutor can argue your refusal is an admission that you were drunk.

July 22nd is the date when all "pending" Common Pleas will be assigned a date and a judge to hear it. This will include the Common Plea filed on June 17th by The Post and Courier.

It's just to schedule the date and the judge.
Is it normal to let cases and motions stack up for a month before assigning them a Judge and a court date? Or is that a SC thing? Or a county thing? I’ve never heard of doing things that way, but that doesn’t mean it’s not common.

Is it normal to let cases and motions stack up for a month before assigning them a Judge and a court date? Or is that a SC thing? Or a county thing? I’ve never heard of doing things that way, but that doesn’t mean it’s not common.

I would expect there's been quite a backlog due to Covid and they are still behind schedule.

While it’s true that anybody can start looking at a defense, it appears that these attorneys are doing a good job of putting together elements that show LE was helping them to do it. This is clearly not a normal way to go about things.

I am thinking to support a conspiracy claim, they will need to show either illegal actions by the police or blatantly unethical conduct by the police. These elements can be very hard to show.

The police being friendly and responsive to defense attorneys will probably not support a conspiracy accusation. For example:

- Ohh so timely arriving defense attorneys can ask the police a large variety of factual questions about an investigation. It is neither illegal, nor unethical per se for the police to provide truthful answers very quickly and very completely.

- High end attorneys can use the answers to challenge the legality of police procedures, and whether all the steps are being strictly adhered to. It is not illegal nor unethical per se for the police to stop and consider well presented challenges.

- Attorneys can present plausible alternative theories regarding responsibility- and uhmm.... "encourage" that they be explored- immediately. The police immediately exploring such theories is not illegal, nor unethical per se.

Last edited:
I have a theory…MM and PM also visited with dying grandpa but drove a separate vehicle. They went home (maybe even planning to stop and feed the dogs). AM stopped by to visit his mom instead of going straight home. Maybe this is how LE is so certain of the time of death based on when they left the hospital. This also provides AM with “an ironclad alibi”.
Just my opinion.
To my knowledge no one has said AM has an “ironclad alibi” other than his brothers. Until someone in LE confirms or disputes the alibi we can surmise one of these three things is true:

1) AM has an ironclad alibi
2) Based solely on what AM told them, his brothers honestly believe he has an ironclad alibi
3) The brothers hope AM has an alibi, but don’t know exactly where he was, when.

There have been unsubstantiated reports he was shooting, at the hospital, at his mother’s,etc. But when it comes down down to it we know nothing about where he was at the time of the murder, where he told LE he was or what LE has learned regarding his whereabouts.

When it comes to AM, we know nothing.

To my knowledge no one has said AM has an “ironclad alibi” other than his brothers. Until someone in LE confirms or disputes the alibi we can surmise one of these three things is true:

2) Based solely on what AM told them, his brothers honestly believe he has an ironclad alibi
3) The brothers hope AM has an alibi, but don’t know exactly where he was, when.

There have been unsubstantiated reports he was shooting, at the hospital, at his mother’s,etc. But when it comes down down to it we know nothing about where he was at the time of the murder, where he told LE he was or what LE has learned regarding his whereabouts.

Amen and great post.

BBM

But LE does - most likely ...
  1. AM was tested for gunshot residue after the murders
  2. AM's phone was examined for suspicious calls/texts and where it was located throughout the day
  3. Cameras were checked at the hospital where RM3 was taken by AM
  4. AM's mother was interviewed to confirm he went back to her house
  5. AM's vehicle was searched for weapons matching the crime scene
I'm sure there are even more than I've listed.

Looks like the lawyer who filed this motion believes that blame was intentionally being shifted to CC.
And it may have been. But why file now, when the boating lawsuit may just fade away? Why now, when LE is searching for anyone who may have a motive for killing PM?

If CC wasn’t included in the list of suspects he will be now. IMO it seems like stupid timing unless his lawyers think they’ll try to pin the murders on CC too. I sincerely doubt he had anything to do with the murders and hope he has an “ironclad alibi”.

Last edited:
BBM

2. AM's phone was examined for suspicious calls/texts and where it was located throughout the day

I agree, if it was done proper, but if it was done like the boat accident or SS case then I’m not so sure.

June 7, 2021: Alex Murdaugh discovers the bodies of his son Paul and wife Maggie at their property on Moselle Road in Islandton, Colleton County. A 911 call is placed at 10:07 p.m.

The Colleton County Sheriff's Office responds and secures the scene. South Carolina's State Law Enforcement Division is contacted at 10:28 p.m. to assist. SLED agents arrive at 11:47 p.m.

Murdaugh Murder Mystery: Timeline of events surrounding 4 South Carolina deaths

The local sheriffs department and the two brothers were on the scene for well over an hour before SLED arrived.

Was AM still there when they arrived? Who knows?

If AM and RM could prevent witness statements and sobriety tests in the boating investigation…can we really be sure that AM was not afforded the same protections to avoid a statement and testing…by the presence of his attorney-brother?

I hope so…but I honestly don’t know what to trust in anymore.

Opinion only…

BBM

Yes! Add to your list traffic cams, business security videos, residential security cams and ring cams that captured stretches of road where AM says he was. And wasn’t.

And it may have been. But why file now, when the boating lawsuit may just fade away? Why now, when LE is searching for anyone who may have a motive for killing PM?

If CC wasn’t included in the list of suspects he will be now. IMO it seems like stupid timing unless his lawyers think they’ll try to pin the murders on CC too. I sincerely doubt he had anything to do with the murders and hope he has an “ironclad alibi”.

This is purely conjecture…nothing more…but as an attorney working in that system, it may appear to him that the Murdaughs are wounded now. That people who kept silent out of fear will now speak up.

He may feel that the truth has been stonewalled but now…so much is coming out…that there’s a much better chance of prevailing than ever before.

Even the SS case is open again.

That attorney may feel that there has been a sea change locally regarding the supposed ‘power’ of the M family. Also, with all the media attention, others who once might have bern staunch allies of the Ms, May now feel that their actions are also being scrutinized.

But I’m just guessing…who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member