GUILTY NY - Michael Avenatti arrested for extortion of millions of dollars from Nike, 2019

Avenatti, best known for representing Stormy Daniels in her lawsuit against President Trump, is on trial for allegedly threatening to publicly accuse Nike employees of improper and illegal conduct unless the company paid his client $1.5 million and agreed to pay $15 to $25 million for an "internal investigation" of the allegations.
Avenatti remains in custody in Manhattan since being arrested earlier this month in California for alleged violations of his pretrial conditions in a separate case there.

....snipped....

Avenatti threatened to make the allegations public, hurting Nike's financial value and reputation, prosecutors claim.

"I'll go take $10 billion off your client's market cap," Avenatti is quoted as threatening in a recorded telephone conversation. "I'm not (expletive) around with this thing anymore."

In exchange for not going public Nike would have to pay the coach $1.5 million for any claims related to no longer sponsoring his team, immediately pay $12 million and guarantee $15 to $25 million in total payments for the internal investigation.
When one of Nike's lawyers said that he had never received payments like that Avenatti asked if he had ever "held the balls of the client in your hand where you could take five to six billion dollars market cap off of them," according to court documents.
"They are going to incur cut after cut after cut, and that's what's going to happen as soon as this thing becomes public," Avenatti allegedly threatened.

I wish Avenatti and Nike could both lose. Avenatti is a criminal, exorting from an organization I don't care for. Clearly, Avenatti is the worst of the evils, but if Nike suffered a little bit here, oh well.

Avenatti glared at the jurors as the verdict was being announced, but didn't say anything. Afterward, he shook hands with his lawyers and told them, “great job."

One of his lawyers, Scott Srebnick, declined to comment but said he would appeal the conviction. Later, he released a statement to NBC News.

Avenatti still faces other legal hurdles, including federal charges in California for defrauding clients and absconding with payments to them that he was able to obtain, including theft from a quadriplegic man. He also faces a separate federal case in New York tied to allegations that he kept $300,000 in money from a book publisher that was supposed to be paid to Stormy Daniels.

Judge sets May sentencing for Michael Avenatti in Nike case

Judge Paul G. Gardephe in Manhattan set the May 7 date for the once fast-rising lawyer known for combative online clashes with President Donald Trump while he represented Stormy Daniels. If it occurs then, it will be more than a year since Avenatti was first set to be sentenced.

This is delich. Nike and Michael Avenatti and some chick who got thrown out without her panties.

Any updates?

This is the most recent article I could find about Michael Avenatti's prison plight.

Avenatti loses bid for release from home detention as multiple trials unfold

Published May 28

"Disgraced lawyer Michael Avenatti on Friday lost his bid for additional freedom as four federal criminal trials against him play out.

A U.S District Court judge in Southern California denied a request from the embattled attorney and onetime CNN darling to get out of his home confinement restrictions, according to multiple reports.

In early 2020, Judge James Selna agreed with prosecutors who said Avenatti was a danger to the community and needed to await trial behind bars. For several months, Avenatti was held in a notorious New York City federal lockup until shortly after a jury found the 50-year old guilty of trying to extort Nike.

It was then that the coronavirus pandemic swept across the country, and like thousands of other federal inmates, Avenatti -- still awaiting sentencing -- was released from custody but with severe restrictions on his movements. He's been living under house arrest in a modest California home owned by a childhood friend."

"Barring further delays, Avenatti's sentencing in the Nike case is expected to take place at the end of June. He'd face up to 14 years in prison. The first of two fraud trials in California is set for July. Meanwhile, a fourth trial, in which Avenatti is accused of stealing money from former client Stormy Daniels, is scheduled for early next year."

Michael Avenatti is sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for Nike extortion | Daily Mail Online

"Michael Avenatti, the lawyer who gained fame by representing *advertiser censored* star Stormy Daniels against President Donald Trump, has been sentenced to 2.5 years in prison over a $25 million Nike extortion scheme.

The brash California lawyer, 50, was sentenced in a Manhattan federal court on Thursday after issuing a tearful and groveling apology to the judge as he decried his fame, saying 'TV and Twitter mean nothing'.

Avenatti was convicted by a jury a year ago of trying to extort Nike by threatening to use his media access to hurt the brand's reputation and stock price when he represented a Los Angeles youth basketball league organizer upset the company had ended its league sponsorship.

He was accused of threatening to expose allegations Nike was funneling payments to college basketball players unless the company paid him millions of dollars to conduct an internal investigation.

Prior to his sentencing, Avenatti told the court he had 'betrayed' his profession and was 'deeply sorry' for the pain he had caused.

'I betrayed my profession. I became driven by the things that don't matter in life. Over the last two years I have often to myself, why did this need to happen?' he said."

Wonder why he hasn’t been disbarred yet?

Wasn't Mark Geragos involved in this case also, somehow?

EDIT: Yep, he was. From WaPo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...9d95e8-df58-11eb-9f54-7eee10b5fcd2_story.html

The judge excoriated Avenatti for his conduct, but gave him a tremendous break on what could have been a nine- to 11-year prison sentence. In explaining his decision, Gardephe cited the Justice Department's decision not to charge another high-profile lawyer from California, Mark Geragos.

The two attorneys, both once staples of cable television news, played a "good cop, bad cop" routine on Nike, Gardephe said. He questioned why prosecutors never charged Geragos with a crime.

Geragos, the judge said, "suffered no consequences as a result of his conduct and he was a central figure in the criminal conduct." Geragos did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back