GUILTY UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London, Clapham Common area, 3 Mar 2021 *Awaiting Sentencing*, #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murder in the age of social media - top cop on rise of the 'armchair warrior

“I think policing is probably the most scrutinised public sector,” he continued.

“The Met is definitely the most scrutinised police force or service in the UK.''

“I think we're slowly coming to terms with how to manage [that when it comes to] social media.”

Part of this strategy is to communicate facts to the public as quickly as possible “to try and de-escalate tensions that exist on social media.”

''He explained that the Met has a procedure for examining videos which gain traction online.

“If a clip has gone viral that will be immediately reviewed,“ he said.

“There's [then] a process [for us to] de-escalate tensions or put facts out as quickly as possible.''

I am still a bit confused that some reports say tape and some say film. Most reports say self adhesive carpet film - which is something like this - and yes could be used to cover car upholstery and carpets. Whereas tape suggests something to gag someone with. Annoying that the reports vary.

I'd have thought upholstery protection, on the same day as hiring the car, would seem more suspicious.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenley-Adh...Carpet+Protection+Film&qid=1626096129&sr=8-10

But if he transferred SE to his own car, presumably he covered that with film too? And it would be hard to cover the whole inside of the car - yes the upholstery maybe, but not the windows and handles, etc.

The Guardian is reporting it as tape:

"That day, 28 February 2021, the Metropolitan police officer also bought a roll of self-adhesive tape, strong enough to hold carpets down."

This makes more sense to me - as something to bind someone with. And much as I hate to say it, I think SE may have been alive and held somewhere beyond that first night. Certainly, LE considered that possibility when they arrested WC.

"By Tuesday 9 March, detectives had enough to move on Couzens. At 7.50pm Couzens was arrested at his home address in Deal, Kent. His phone had been wiped of all data.

Because of the faint glimmer of hope that Everard might be alive, an emergency interview was authorised, without the need for a solicitor to be present."
BBM
IMO

How a white Vauxhall Astra led police to Sarah Everard’s killer

I'd be amazed if he hadn't committed previous serious crimes, to be honest. I'd doubt he's murdered before but there will likely be something in his history.

I for sure don't doubt it. I'm thinking it was women that had less attention on them than Sarah so no one did a whole bunch of searching. Likely druggies, homeless, etc. I've seen on this thread mention of other women in the general vicinity that have gone missing. They aren't solved and weren't being looked into. Maybe they will be now.

Last edited:

"That day, 28 February 2021, the Metropolitan police officer also bought a roll of self-adhesive tape, strong enough to hold carpets down."
^^rsbm

When this was first reported as "film" believed to cover the carpet, it made sense the perp could be trying to contain DNA evidence.

As for the latest description (carpet tape) -- this just means tape with a tensile strength of 25 pounds per square inch.

This and the later purchase may be totally unrelated. Also, I believe delivery was not expected until after WC's actual arrest!

As for the latest description (carpet tape) -- this just means tape with a tensile strength of 25 pounds per square inch.

Also, I believe delivery was not expected until after WC's actual arrest!

I'm not sure how strong 25 lbs per square inch is, as I'm a metric person :D ....but suffice to say, it sounds strong enough to bind someone's mouth, wrists and arms together in a kidnapping.

Maybe the tape was due to arrive after his arrest.....perhaps this tape was not the first reel he ever bought and was just topping up his stock for further victims.

I'm not sure if Sarah was his first victim or not? He seemed too well rehearsed and like he'd had practice. Maybe he tried it with more local women first. Dover would have plenty of transient and immigrant types coming off the ferries from France.

It's possible he was caught on his first victim and I'm thankful for the bus CCTV. Phew.

^^rsbm

When this was first reported as "film" believed to cover the carpet, it made sense the perp could be trying to contain DNA evidence.

This and the later purchase may be totally unrelated. Also, I believe delivery was not expected until after WC's actual arrest!

Yes all the reports say carpet film - the guardian says tape but specifically mentions it being ordered on 28th Feb. I think as most places say film it's probably more like the plastic self adhesive sheeting stuff.

But if he transferred SE to his own car, presumably he covered that with film too? And it would be hard to cover the whole inside of the car - yes the upholstery maybe, but not the windows and handles, etc.

This makes more sense to me - as something to bind someone with. And much as I hate to say it, I think SE may have been alive and held somewhere beyond that first night. Certainly, LE considered that possibility when they arrested WC.

"By Tuesday 9 March, detectives had enough to move on Couzens. At 7.50pm Couzens was arrested at his home address in Deal, Kent. His phone had been wiped of all data.

Because of the faint glimmer of hope that Everard might be alive, an emergency interview was authorised, without the need for a solicitor to be present."
BBM
IMO

How a white Vauxhall Astra led police to Sarah Everard’s killer

Good point - there must be lots of touch points not covered by film - if it was film. But then he had quite a few days to clean up his own car before arrest. And the hire car would no doubt have been valeted by then. If they're looking into his car again then maybe they are going to use extra scientific tools etc to try and obtain some evidence.

Nothing about WC showing up on the Times Online search, since 10th July. Could you screenshot it maybe?

Something that keeps puzzling me - we've hard that LE suspect he transferred Sarah from the hire car to his own (presumably alive, because they don't say 'her body'). Why would they know this? What he's said? Or DNA evidence? Or CCTV evidence?

Good question. It said they suspect he moved her from the hire car to his own car, at the coast. The hire car place is at the coast in Dover. His own car could have been left nearby. All I can think is he moved her body to his own car on his way home to Deal, so as not to take the body home with him in the hire car. But seems a bit strange. Although, thinking about it - he couldn't move the body in broad daylight next morning, so maybe it was convenient to move it to his car around 1am in the dark, drop the hire car off next morning, in daylight, pick up his own car and then decide what to do with her body.

Maybe they have just worked out more from the timescales, time of death etc? He hasn't been talking till now (if he has). But something has made them decide to look at his car again after all these months.

thought he ordered the tarps and bungees online

bought the tape in a store....maybe b&q when he bought green rubble sacks

also. there is a hard floor cover on a roll which can act as a tape. its about a metre long. would be a perfect accessory for murder. not sure if its adhesive or not i will find it and look.

Something that keeps puzzling me - we've hard that LE suspect he transferred Sarah from the hire car to his own (presumably alive, because they don't say 'her body'). Why would they know this? What he's said? Or DNA evidence? Or CCTV evidence?

dogs can detect the smell of a deceased body, perhaps they were involved here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member