GUILTY NJ - SR, 2, (found alive) & Yasemin Uyar, 24, found deceased, Rahway, 9 Jul 2021 *arrest*

Domestic violence laws have changed, but it seems we still have further to go. I admittedly do not know the legal ins/outs- but it seems like a one strike then off to prison, with a multiyear mandatory actual time served law, may save lives? Then there is the flip side for victim. How do we do better to provide security, counseling, financial help, etc. Short of arming them with a deadly weapon, in some cases it seems so futile.

I just know this happens far to often :(
It does and it needs to change big time… I’m a victim of DV myself and have a restraining order against my ex-husband and have gone through hell with custody especially. I feel like judges are so afraid to take even supervised visits away from abusers, with evidence to prove abuse, to start.

ETA: like how Joshua Powell had any visitation is still so unsettling to me - and that’s not an isolated case. DV is violence period.

Last edited:
It does and it needs to change big time… I’m a victim of DV myself and have a restraining order against my ex-husband and have gone through hell with custody especially. I feel like judges are so afraid to take even supervised visits away from abusers, with evidence to prove abuse, to start.
Also I think education in primary schools about health relationships and boundaries - maybe that would help?!

JUL 11, 2021
Missing NJ woman abducted along with her toddler found dead in Tennessee
[...]

Uyar’s mother, KU, also confirmed her daughter’s body had been found. She said on Saturday she would travel to Tennessee to reunite with her grandson.

“My family would like to share that at 8:15 last night we were notified that Yasemin’s remains had been located in TN. While my family grieves the loss of Yasemin please remember she wasn’t just a [domestic violence] victim. She was a daughter, sister, mother, aunt and cousin. Her life will be celebrated as her greatest gift to this world, Sebastian will still need ALL of our love and support. While I’m sure you are all needing details (as are we) I’m asking to please give us this day to grieve privately as a family. We will continue to share information, including funeral arrangements as we confirm them,” she wrote in a Facebook post.

[...]

ETA: like how Joshua Powell had any visitation is still so unsettling to me - and that’s not an isolated case. DV is violence period.
I'm so sorry and thank you for sharing {{Hugs}}

This makes me sick!! We need a one strike and you are out law regarding DV. It needs to not be tolerated at all. There is no excuse for this to happen over and over and over in our world....Yasmine and her boy deserved so much more. What is this monsters story?? I pray he didn't plea bargain and get a lighter sentence for telling where his murdered victim/mother of his child was.

JUL 11, 2021
AMBER Alert: Missing 2-Year-Old, Mother Possibly Abducted by Baby’s Father in New Jersey – NBC New York
[...]

According to the Putnam County Sheriff's Office, New Jersey authorities called down around 3 a.m. Saturday to alert the department to the active AMBER Alert. It took an estimated 15 minutes for deputies and officers from the Monterey Police Department to locate the silver Ford Fiesta parked at the Bethel Inn Hotel near I-40.

"Law enforcement made contact with Rios and attempted to convince him to give up and exit his room. Rios refused to do so, at which time law enforcement entered the hotel room by force taking Rios into custody," the sheriff's office said.

Rios would later lead the sheriff's office and FBI to a wooded area on Highway 70 in Monterey where Uyra's body was left, authorities say.

[...]

"This is probably the hardest few days of our lives," KU said. "[Sebastian is] happy, he's playing right now. He's obviously confused, asking for mommy."

[...]

JUL 11, 2021
AMBER Alert: Missing 2-Year-Old, Mother Possibly Abducted by Baby’s Father in New Jersey – NBC New York
[...]

According to the Putnam County Sheriff's Office, New Jersey authorities called down around 3 a.m. Saturday to alert the department to the active AMBER Alert. It took an estimated 15 minutes for deputies and officers from the Monterey Police Department to locate the silver Ford Fiesta parked at the Bethel Inn Hotel near I-40.

"Law enforcement made contact with Rios and attempted to convince him to give up and exit his room. Rios refused to do so, at which time law enforcement entered the hotel room by force taking Rios into custody," the sheriff's office said.

Rios would later lead the sheriff's office and FBI to a wooded area on Highway 70 in Monterey where Uyra's body was left, authorities say.

[...]

"This is probably the hardest few days of our lives," KU said. "[Sebastian is] happy, he's playing right now. He's obviously confused, asking for mommy."

[...]

I wish I could give sweet Sebastian a hug. :(

I honestly can not understand women in this predicament. I’d be strapped 24/7
It’s really a miracle he didn’t kill that baby too

I think most every mother who has separated from the father of their child wants to believe it would never come to an ending like this. They try to be reasonable. They try to distance, but still maintain a positive family situation for the children. Until they realize they cannot. And this time the realization came .. too late.

“We tried really hard to get Yasmin to leave him but she was trying to co-parent with him and he often thought they were getting back together,” Karen Uyar said.

Uyar was planning to move out of her apartment this weekend to a place where Rios couldn’t find her or their son, according to Karen Uyar, who believes that may have been what triggered the abduction.

Missing NJ woman abducted with her toddler found dead in Tennessee | PIX11

There's some new info in this article:

New Jersey man charged with murdering ex-girlfriend and dumping her body in Tennessee woods | Daily Mail Online

"He allegedly called a relative on July 9 and told them he had a dead body in the car, who the person assumed was Uyar, with whom he had a tumultuous relationship.

A female relative contacted the Highland Park Police Department in New Jersey on July 9 after Rios called her and said he had a dead body in his car. She presumed the body belonged to Uyar, with whom he had a tumultuous relationship.

Police also took a statement from another person who said Rios admitted to having Sebastian in his custody, and confessed to killing Uyar, whose body he left in his car for days, according to court filings.

After Rios had the 45-minute phone conversation with the person, who NJ.com says was not named in the court documents, police were able to track his location to a Bethel Inn and Suites in Monterey, Tennessee.

The local sheriff's department responded to the motel and found Uyar's vehicle in the parking lot, with the license plate discarded nearby.

When the officers took Rios into custody, the court documents allege, Uyar's debit card was in the room.

He then allegedly led investigators to where he had disposed of Uyar's body - 2,300 feet from the motel, next to a campground.

She was found half naked in a duffel bag, NJ.com reported."

There's some new info in this article:

New Jersey man charged with murdering ex-girlfriend and dumping her body in Tennessee woods | Daily Mail Online

"He allegedly called a relative on July 9 and told them he had a dead body in the car, who the person assumed was Uyar, with whom he had a tumultuous relationship.

A female relative contacted the Highland Park Police Department in New Jersey on July 9 after Rios called her and said he had a dead body in his car. She presumed the body belonged to Uyar, with whom he had a tumultuous relationship.

Police also took a statement from another person who said Rios admitted to having Sebastian in his custody, and confessed to killing Uyar, whose body he left in his car for days, according to court filings.

After Rios had the 45-minute phone conversation with the person, who NJ.com says was not named in the court documents, police were able to track his location to a Bethel Inn and Suites in Monterey, Tennessee.

The local sheriff's department responded to the motel and found Uyar's vehicle in the parking lot, with the license plate discarded nearby.

When the officers took Rios into custody, the court documents allege, Uyar's debit card was in the room.

He then allegedly led investigators to where he had disposed of Uyar's body - 2,300 feet from the motel, next to a campground.

She was found half naked in a duffel bag, NJ.com reported."
Wow. So brutal. This one shakes me so much.

I honestly can not understand women in this predicament. I’d be strapped 24/7
It’s really a miracle he didn’t kill that baby too
I understand what you're saying, if I were in fear for my life I'd have a firearm with me at all times. These guys ignore restraining orders, the cops aren't going to get there in time to save you. It's terrifying to think of women and children in this situation :(

JUL 24, 2021
Funeral services held for New Jersey mom Yasemin Uyar, murdered after Amber Alert - ABC7 New York (abc7ny.com)
Uyar's family wants her remembered not as a victim of domestic violence, but rather as someone who successfully escaped it prior to her murder.

Remember her as a butterfly, mom of N.J. domestic violence victim tells crowd of mourners - nj.com
In life, Yasemin Uyar was a mother, a best friend, an explosion of color, the kind of person who would help you through your struggles even as she battled her own. And in her death, she will be so much more than a victim of domestic violence, her mother, KU said.

She will be a butterfly.

“I have to believe God took her for a reason. And that reason was going to be that — she loves butterflies, and she was going to give something back to the world and be a butterfly for other people that were going through the same thing she was going through,” KU said at her daughter’s funeral Friday night, two weeks after Yasemin Uyar was found dead in Tennessee, allegedly killed by a man whom she’d had a decade-long abusive relationship with.

[...]

g06072.gif

JUL 27, 2021
N.J. man accused of killing mother of his child will remain in jail - nj.com
  • Rios appeared virtually in court for the 2nd time after extradition from TN.
  • An autopsy determined the COD was strangulation and blunt force trauma.
  • On the night Yasemin was killed, a witness reported seeing Rios outside of her apt around midnight. He appeared to be angrily staring at the residence.
  • Rios had previously served 180 days in jail for violating his parole after being charged with strangling Yasemin.
  • He had been charged with assaulting Yasemin and violating a restraining order at least five other times in the last few years.
  • Rios is scheduled to appear next in court on Aug. 26.
SEP 13, 2021
After daughter's slaying, NJ mom on mission to fight domestic violence (mycentraljersey.com)
KU is not quite ready to go through the belongings of her daughter Yasemin, two months after she was killed allegedly by an ex-boyfriend.

While her strength is focused on caring for Yazzi's 3-year-old son [redacted], she is ready to mount a crusade to strengthen domestic violence laws.

SEP 30, 2021
N.J. man indicted in killing of ex-girlfriend, kidnapping of their child - nj.com
The grand jury indicted Rios on first-degree charges of murder and kidnapping, along with counts of desecrating human remains, endangering the welfare of a child, contempt by violating a domestic violence restraining order and theft.

He was extradited to New Jersey on July 16 and remains in Essex County Jail pending an Oct. 12 post-indictment arraignment hearing.

OCT 15, 2021
Trenton statehouse rally pushing for domestic violence protection bill (mycentraljersey.com)
"We're just trying to get noticed," said Dennis who has prepared the legislation she would like to see enacted that offer additional protection for domestic violence victims. She has reached out to legislators from the Rahway area in hopes of getting their support for Yazzi's Law, a term created by another one of Uyar's friends.

ELIZABETH, New Jersey (WABC) -- A New Jersey man charged in the death of his ex-girlfriend last year in a missing persons case that prompted an Amber Alert and a multi-state manhunt pleaded guilty in Elizabeth Monday.

Tyler Rios, 27, pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter and desecration of human remains in the death of 27-year-old Yasemin Uyar.

He faces 25 years in prison on the aggravated manslaughter charge and five more years on the desecration of human remains charge when he is sentenced in June.

NJ man pleads guilty in ex-girlfriend's murder that prompted Amber Alert, manhunt

APR 25, 2022
[...]

Sentencing in the case has been tentatively scheduled for Friday, June 10, at which time the state will request on the aggravated manslaughter charge a term of 25 years in state prison pursuant to the No Early Release Act, which requires persons convicted of certain violent crimes to serve 85 percent of their sentence before being eligible for parole. The state will also be seeking a five-year term on the desecration count to run consecutive to the manslaughter charge.

JUN 10, 2022
[...]

And the Highland Park resident showed no expression when he heard about the struggles his young son faces after seeing his mother killed at his father’s hands.

Karen Uyar, Yasemin’s mother, told the judge that while her daughter gave her son, Sebastian, unconditional love and support, his father has given him “a lifetime of traumatic memories.”

She said the boy, now 3, saw "Daddy choke Mommy."

She said he remembers what happened and talks about it nearly every day.

[...]

JUN 14, 2022
[...]

Rios, 28, of East Orange, must serve 85% of his 25-year sentence on the manslaughter conviction before he is eligible for parole on that count and then must serve another five years for desecrating human remains, the prosecutor’s office said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back