VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

Anything new out there about this case? I keep hoping something will come up, or they will pursue the Genetic Genealogy tracing.
I don’t know It seems very quiet and no news anything from Virginia locals about it . But I think they either working on it or possibly won’t risk leak the investigation to the public

I am local, heard the call go out on the scanner than morning. Listened to the back channels for days. I am was very connected to LE and some of the EMTs that arrived at the scene. I also remember the day, Jennifer's scattered remains we found near a creek not far from where Bowman lived.

Also know some of the officers who when to Canada when Bowman was found. They were all, the best of the best and included one from Patrick County. They spoke with Bowman and searched the van he was living in. He was found in a very remote area, giving the appearance of hiding out, off the grid.

This entire operation was botched from the beginning, many mistakes were made. We will never know the truth unless someone comes forward and confesses.

I do know, and it was never released. Mr. Short was found shot, lying naked on a couch, on the carport leading into the house. NAKED, yup. Larger amounts of cash laying on the kitchen counter and the phone lines we cut from the outside of the house.

I've always felt some/one of the Sherriff officers may have been involved and covered up. He covered up and protected many of his corrupt department.

Until, the Jamie Cross case, I believe it was Bowman.... The parents were killed, the money was untouched, or left as a symbol, and Jennifer was taken. The parents were religious, active in the church but no other community activities and seemed to live a sheltered life. A trashy restaurant and motel were beside the house. The house is on 220N a main artery to the North and traveled by many locals, out of state visitors and truckers. Now I wonder, if someone stopped at the motel/restaurant/bar, saw Jennifer and came back for her, much like JC.

We will never know, many have made a lifes mission to find answers but like JC, everything leads to a dead end. But, after following the JC case from early on, the two murders/abductions follow a very similar pattern.

MOO...

I am just now seeing your response. I now live in the area, my family is from here. In 2002 I think we were living in Florida but my husband lived here and rode the bus with Jennifer, I believe. I have heard different things from locals relating to the trailer business, and rumors of maybe poker games, and he owed money to someone. Not sure how reliable these people really are. Obviously, a lot of people think the fact that it is unsolved is due to the corruption in the sheriff's office at the time. I wasn't here for that either, I don't think but I've heard some about it.

Interesting that someone from Patrick County was involved in going to Canada. I know some officers there and would love to know who went if you could message it to me. If not, that's okay. I saw the newest article when it came out about maybe new info but haven't heard anything since then. It didn't stir up as much conversation as you would expect either but I guess maybe it's the age group I'm in that doesn't know much about it or remember it.

This case sounds like it needs some new eyes on it. Just a thought.
I agree. There was an interview recently with the current sheriff (I believe) and the reporter asked him about Genetic Genealogy Tracing, and he seemed to indicate it was a possibility, but they didn't want to do something that would use up all of the DNA material.

I keep coming back to see if there are any updates to this case.
(When I first heard about the Jayme Closs case, I immediately thought of this case. Kidnapping of Jayme Closs - Wikipedia)

Here I get the feeling that LE was in over there head as I doubt they had much, if any, experience with murder cases like this. What few deaths they came across were probably accidental where the shooter was already known or the victim was killed by a family member or friend. The corruption of the sheriff department can't be overlooked, but I believe this was simply a situation where LE just didn't process the scene properly. I wonder if outside assistance - FBI, VSP - were called in soon enough. Supposedly "investigators" (SO? FBI? VSP?) spent two weeks inside the home.

Here is a 2015 True Crime Daily article about the FBI's approach at that time.
UNSOLVED: The murders of Michael, Mary and Jennifer Short

This is one of those crimes that bothers me the most. I check back occasionally to see if there are any developments. I just don't know what to think. Cases where there is total annihilation of a family are hard to fathom. The taking of the girl complicates things. I really hope that some day this horrible crime is solved. Was it someone known to them, someone angry with the father etc? Or was it just a crime of opportunity by a stranger, thrill/serial killer? If the later, it may never be solved. It is just sad. I hope Jennifer didn't see her parents killed. But I am certain she was taken from the home alive and held for a least a brief period of time. I shudder think about that time. God bless.

Last edited:
This is one of those crimes that bothers me the most. I check back occasionally to see if there are any developments. I just don't know what to think. Cases where there is total annihilation of a family are hard to fathom. The taking of the girl complicates things. I really hope that some day this horrible crime is solved. Was it someone known to them, someone angry with the father etc? Or was it just a crime of opportunity by a stranger, thrill/serial killer? If the later, it may never be solved. It is just sad. I hope Jennifer didn't see her parents killed. But I am certain she was taken from the home alive and held for a least a brief period of time. I shudder think about that time. God bless.

I'm still holding on this case since I first heard about it on this very same summer 2018 , this case seems very much full of dead ends and many theories flies around this case since it happened .
Next year it be 20 years Anniversary of this fateful murders.

I have thought from the very beginning that this was all about taking Jennifer. I remember reading that she would often go to the nearby convenience store to get snacks, etc. and my opinion is that someone saw her there, maybe even watched her and the family for awhile and then entered the home when everyone was sleeping, killed the parents, and took her. I have never thought it was about any kind of robbery or revenge against the parents, because I read that there was an envelope sitting on the counter that had a large amount of cash in it. I think a robber would have grabbed that. Just my thoughts.

Are they not having the "Jennifer Short Memorial Scholarship Ride" this year? I haven't seen any mention of it on-line. I hope they continue it because it seems like that was a good way to keep the case before the public.

Interesting. I just looked at Google StreetView and the house appeared to be gone. I did a search and found that it burnt down in 2019.

Short family's former Henry County home destroyed by fire; cause unknown

It sounds like it was unoccupied and had no power. A gas can was collected as evidence. I wonder if a cause was ever determined. If arson, I'd really wonder if the killer came back after worrying he might have left something behind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back