CA CA - Patricia Crandall, Shasta County, 18-19 years old, 13 March 1949

It states her date of disappearance as March 13th 1949

Yes it does, but I’m wondering if her disappearance was reported immediately. I thought you wondered if someone reported her missing after she was dead (1962), unless I misunderstood...which is entirely possible! :)

The Crandalls in Shasta CA seem the likeliest parents of the missing Patricia L Crandall. Her mother’s maiden name could be the link, as mentioned in post #20, if it is in the same VanAhn genealogy mentioned there. I’m not sure it is, since I don’t have access to Ancestry.com.

The birth record for Patricia is cited as a source in the Ancestry tree which shows Diana VonAhn as the daughter of Patricia Crandall. This record shows the mother's maiden name as Koepke. However, I do not think this helps with the original question posed by Coffee56 as the various missing records for Patricia (including the official California site) do not cite the Koepke name (unless I have overlooked something). So the trees definitely support that the Patricia who died in 1962 in Hood River is the Patricia Louise Crandall born in 1929 that we have been looking at. But that does not answer the question (definitively) as to whether she is the Patricia Crandall who went missing.

Who determines if a case is solved? LE or Meaghan? I assumed it was up to LE, but I’m no expert on that issue. :)
For sure LE and on WS we base the case on LE or solid MSM information.

For sure LE and on WS we base the case on LE or solid MSM information.

Here is her listing with the Attorney General. It was posted earlier.
Patricia Crandall
I don’t believe there is any MSM regarding Patricia going missing.

So if we think the Patricia Crandall we’ve been discussing, who lived in Shasta CA, is the one who went missing, does someone from WS send the info we’ve gathered to the Shasta County Sheriff to see what they think? I’m not sure how it works. If they can confirm the details about her parents, I think we found her and LE can follow up if they agree.

i just found out that her case is still in development on namus so i may have copied the wrong link

View attachment 146321
I found another picture of Patricia in the Shasta high school yearbook of 1947.

I do believe you have provided the key proof that the missing Patricia Crandall is the one who was raised in Shasta County rather than the alternative who lived in San Diego, and that she is therefore the Patricia Von Ahm who lived in Oregon and died in 1962. I have accessed on Ancestry the photo you posted. On Ancestry it is possible to magnify the photo (albeit that it loses definition). The larger version looks even more like the photo on the state site than the smaller version.

Perhaps more importantly, Ancestry also has a yearbook photo of the San Diego Patricia Crandall . Unfortunately I am having difficulty downloading and attaching that picture, but my assessment is that the Shasta Crandall looks much more like the missing picture than the San Diego Crandall (although, unfortunately, the difference is not massive). Perhaps a member with better technical skill can download and attach the picture of the San Diego Crandall from Ancestry.

Ancestry also has a 1960 marriage record of a Patricia J Crandall, born circa 1930 to John Steinemann in San Diego (and an earlier one in San Diego to George Bergeron in 1957). These records lend further strength to the identification of the missing woman with the Shasta Crandall since it helps eliminate the other possibility. And we know the Oregon Patricia Von Ahn is the Shasta Patricia Crandall from the match on the mothers maiden name.

If this is all correct and the pictures of the two Crandalls do confirm the identification of the missing with the woman who died in Oregon in 1962, then the case should be able to be closed.

Last edited:
I wish for progress in this case. This March Patricia will be missing for 70 years.

I looked at this case independently tonight and then read this forum. I too thought that the Patricia L. Crandall in the 1940 census was the missing person. Along those lines, I thought it was plausible that the missing person was Patricia Louise Crandall who married to become Patricia Louise Von Ahn. However, I found the ancestry page for Patricia Louise Crandall Von Ahn.

A photo that is associated with this profile is not of the missing person as portrayed at NamUs. There are two yearbooks from the University of Nevada associated with the profile at Ancestry. One shows a photo of a Patricia Crandall (see the attachment). It clearly is not to the missing person's likeness, in my opinion, however, the name says Patricia Crandall. However, the same individual in the photo is in the previous year's yearbook under the name "Creamer." That's very confusing and suggests that something is wonky with the names/pictures in these yearbooks.

In fact, these yearbooks appear to be haphazardly done. For instance, I counted six pictures in a row in one instance but only five names (see the Creamer line). I encourage people to look through these yearbooks face by face to see if you can see a likeness to the NamUs profile picture. Someone associated these yearbooks with Patricia Louise Crandall Von Ahn's Ancestry account, assumingly a family member so if we can associate the NamUs Patricia Crandall to the yearbooks then it might be convincing enough that they are the same person.

Attachments

• Patricia Crandall.JPG
    Patricia Crandall.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 15
Is there anything verifying these are the same Patricia Crandall other than first name, last name and an approximate DOB?
According to the California Birth Index, there are three women named Patricia Crandall who were born about the same time.

Patricia Louise Crandall, Born 09/29/1929 in California | CaliforniaBirthIndex.org
Patricia Ann Crandall, Born 12/29/1930 in California | CaliforniaBirthIndex.org
Patricia Jane Crandall, Born 08/03/1930 in California | CaliforniaBirthIndex.org

I am still of the opinion that this case is solved, albeit that it would require confirmation (preferably by DNA) due to the outstanding questions noted in the thread.

In terms of the 3 California Patricia Crandalls; Patricia Ann died in 1946 and there are marriage records for Patricia Jane which preclude her being right. Everything adds up on Patricia Louise except (imo) the 1955 marriage name. I have less of a problem with pictures as appearances change and (as said) yearbooks can be misleading (both in indexing and in terms of styles).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMR0715
Back