LA LA - Ellis Baudean, 4, in water near Twin Canals Trail, Jean Laffite Nat Hist Park, 15 Jul 2021

I know many folks who work for SCSO who were there working with JPSO and they said there are many, many different stories. At first they weren’t even sure where he went in.

My thoughts exactly. Some have posted pics of the parking lot boat landing and one open bridge spanning some swamp land.

#1. The swamp is an odd place to go fly a kite.
#2. There are trees surrounding the parking lot and it is July so they all have leaves. This makes airflow in such a small area very restricted.
#3. The open bridge trail, or any other *open* trail is nowhere near the parking lot. If she left her kids that far away to go back to the car...
#4. Yes, the family is the victim here <modsnip>
#5. Finally, raising an autistic child is exhausting.

Things to consider.

Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office
19 Jul 2021
As our recovery efforts continue in Jean Lafitte National Park and Preserve, we are now in the process of constructing a dam across the waterway to allow an area to be pumped clear. Sheriff Lopinto wishes to express his appreciation to B&S Equipment for providing the equipment and crew as we attempt to complete our mission of locating Ellis. Because of the current use of heavy equipment, the parking lot of Twin Canals is currently closed and we are asking members of the public to avoid the area.

19 Jul 2021
The first load of clay is on site and dam construction is about to begin.

19 Jul 2021
Construction of the dam is underway and we are hoping to have it completed and start draining the area sometime tomorrow. Thank you again to B&S Equipment and their crews for working through the day. We are asking that the public continue to avoid the area to allow the equipment and clay trucks to have easier access. The Twin Canals parking lot remains closed due to the operation.

20 Jul 2021
220643136_4013727542057853_656538917978749308_n.jpg

Unfortunately, our efforts to pump out the area of interest in the canal were not completely successful. We lost the clay dam earlier tonight, and the original water levels returned quickly. Our recovery efforts will now resume their passive status for the next few days.

Our efforts were not in vain. We were able to drain about half the water from the search area which allowed us to check the root systems on the banks, alligator dens along the waterline, subsurface dens, culverts, and overhanging banks that were previously underwater. We were able able to narrow the search area for the remote operating vehicle and its sonar equipment.
While we were ultimately unable to complete our recovery mission, we will continue to be in the area for the next few days to ensure the site is returned to the pristine condition it was in. We cannot thank the numerous volunteers, B&S Equipment, the National Park Service, the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office, and the LDWF for their assistance.

Thanks for posting this. These recovery methods are so interesting!

Graphic nature facts warning:

I lived near alligators and have seen them lunge high out of the water to grab birds and other prey. They are absolutely fascinating creatures, just dinosaurs really. They usually keep their prey underwater for a day or more before consuming.

During Spring mating season there are many stories of aggressive and adventurous alligators..walking through neighborhoods, climbing fences, swimming in our pools, grabbing dogs off leashes. They will do almost anything to find a mate.

Alligators are typically more docile during other seasons unless people & dogs frequently splash their shores..that will bring them in and they will watch and wait patiently for weeks for the next opportunity to grab their next meal,

With all that being said, I am not convinced this was an alligator attack.

I know many folks who work for SCSO who were there working with JPSO and they said there are many, many different stories. At first they weren’t even sure where he went in.
Well, mom should know exactly where they were when he fell, was pulled in by a gator or was bumped/pushed into the water. I say pushed or bumped b/c there was a 3YO there and chit happens, ya know. It may have happened when mom was flying or fixing the kite or while she was walking towards the car. Who knows... :)

What other adult besides mom can verify the child was there at this park that day?
I wondered that, too. While looking through the photos and vids posted on Google Maps I noticed some surveillance cams at the Visitors Center. Hopefully those are working properly. Still, Mom, Ellis, and the 3YO may not have been captured by the cameras depending on where in the park they were flying their kite. I don't remember if I saw any cameras in the parking lot. Off to look for that now.

Two questions:
Was he really there with Mom and the other child?
If he did go into the water, did an alligator get him?
---
If his body is still in the water, let's hope it surfaces soon -- I don't trust those amazing and hungry gators and their natural habits.

Many thanks to the people who dammed/drained the water area. Seems that they have done more than the ordinary for this little boy and for those who truly love him.
My heart aches.

Facebook
Unfortunately, our efforts to pump out the area of interest in the canal were not completely successful. We lost the clay dam earlier tonight, and the original water levels returned quickly. Our recovery efforts will now resume their passive status for the next few days.
MORE AT LINK PLUS COMMENTS

Facebook
MORE AT LINK PLUS COMMENTS

I hope recovery efforts are including LOTS of interviews and investigating.

This is so sad, he has such a beautiful smile what a shame this happened! Gators are incredibly fast, if it was in the water submerged except for its eyes and the child was standing near the edge it would have only taken a second or two to grab the boy and back into the water. The gator may have swum to a different location after that taking the boy with it, or if he fell in a gator resting underwater would have heard the splash and grabbed the boy before he could even surface. I feel so bad for the mother and family, I personally would never take my children on a trail knowing gators can be almost anywhere and fly a kite!!! First of all kite flying involves everyone looking up, a gator could walk right up and grab any three of them before they could get away. It is my opinion that it was a spur-of-the-moment idea and poor decision making, which this poor mother will forever regret, but all of us at one time or another have made a spur-of-the-moment decision that we may live to regret!!! I believe it is an accident by a mother who loved her children and was just looking to give them a fun time outdoors in the fresh air. My prayers go out to the family, I can't even imagine what they are going through!!! They are in my thoughts and prayers. <3

I am not sure he was ever at this park.
You’re not the only one unfortunately. Including some people who were there helping. Hope we are wrong but like my husband told me (he’s LEO and some of his coworkers were there), WE won’t know that and what they’re doing to look into it. Poor baby. He’s just precious. I hate it for him either way.

I can't believe there haven't been any updates on little man's case. I would think the family and LE would be publicly pleading with folks to keep an eye out for any signs of Ellis when they're visiting JLNHP. I mean, it's tourist season down there. Does anyone know if there are any MP signs about Ellis' mishap posted at the park? Hopefully they'll get answers soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back