WY WY - Amy Wroe Bechtel, 24, Fremont County, 24 Jul 1997

This is so sad. I just heard about this from a podcast. It sounds like she’s not likely to be found unless someone confesses or divulges information they have about the person who did it.

I would NEVER take a lie detector test. I wouldn’t need a lawyer to give me that advice. If you pay attention to any true crime cases, it’s easily apparent why they’re a crap idea. Innocent people are made to look guilty and guilty people are made to look innocent when using lie detectors. Lie detectors aren’t admissible in court. They’re of a by-gone dinosaur era, and are NOT taken by plenty of innocent people. Silly things cause them to give false results. Completely unreliable.

JMO

The circumstances of the day make it extremely unlikely her husband had anything to do with it, unless he can, like, fly or something, or had an accomplice. Spouse is a runner and was following the case for a long time because she was a well-known runner; I couldn't believe how they started in on her husband without even looking for anybody else.

I think he initially fell under suspicion due to a totality of circumstances:

- Alibi was good, but apparently still left a period of time where it was possible for him to return to the site of the disappearance. Such a return would have apparently been tight time wise- but he was probably not prone to drive like “grandma” either .

- A witness saw a truck similar to the one he drove in the vicinity of the disapperance, but could not positively state that he was the driver. He claimed to have called a hospital and inquired about his wife the day / night of her vanishing. This call, however, could not be confirmed.

- Some entries in his diary had themes of male dominance / harming his wife or harming other women. He explained the entries as references to his immature days as a youth.

-Wife’s family stated that he seemed controlling and was "hands on". Other people related that he had a cocky, alpha male personality. Nobody, however, had ever seen him being aggressive.

Last edited:
I think he initially fell under suspicion due to a totality of circumstances:

- Alibi was good, but apparently still left a period of time where it was possible for him to return to the site of the disappearance. Such a return would have apparently been tight time wise- but he was probably not prone to drive like “grandma” either .

- A witness saw a truck similar to the one he drove in the vicinity of the disapperance, but could not positively state that he was the driver. He claimed to have called a hospital and inquired about his wife the day / night of her vanishing. This call, however, could not be confirmed.

- Some entries in his diary had themes of male dominance / harming his wife or harming other women. He explained the entries as references to his immature days as a youth.

-Wife’s family stated that he seemed controlling and was "hands on". Other people related that he had a cocky, alpha male personality. Nobody, however, had ever seen him being aggressive.
On that last point some athletes - male and female - have a sense of self-confidence. Sometimes this can come off as 'cocky'. Rock/mountain climbers certainly fall into this category. As the great 'Dizzy' Dean once said, "It ain't bragging if you can do it." And that probably sums up a lot of the attitudes of some athletes.

On that last point some athletes - male and female - have a sense of self-confidence. Sometimes this can come off as 'cocky'. Rock/mountain climbers certainly fall into this category. As the great 'Dizzy' Dean once said, "It ain't bragging if you can do it." And that probably sums up a lot of the attitudes of some athletes.
Good point.

He was at least a semi pro rock climber and also a marathon level runner. Likewise, he was well known in the local outdoors / climbing community.

Though others doubted his claim of innocence, the climbing community supported him and said pretty much what you said- Any alpha male cockiness on his part was with in the norm for his sub culture.

I don't think the police would have focused on him solely for being an accomplished athlete with a cocky personality. Rather, it was the totality of the other factors as well.

Unsolved Cases - Missing Persons - Homicides - Suspicious Circumstances - Division of Criminal Investigation
Missing Person, July 24, 1997, Fremont County, Wyoming:
On July 24, 1997, Amy Wroe Bechtel, age 24, disappeared while jogging the Loop Road area between Lander and South Pass in Fremont County, Wyoming. Her car was found parked along the road. An extensive search of the area has failed to yield clues as to her location. Amy Wroe Bechtel is a white female, 115 pounds with blond hair and blue eyes. Anyone with information about Amy Bechtel's disappearance is urged to contact the Fremont County Sheriff's Office at (307) 332-1000, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation at (307) 777-7181.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original

Missing Person / NamUs #MP87
Amy Joy Wroe-Bechtel, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact July 24, 1997
Missing From Lander, Wyoming
Missing Age 24 Years
Current Age 48 Years
Height 5' 5" (65 Inches)
Weight 110 lbs
Hair Color Blond/Strawberry
Head Hair Description Blonde
Eye Color Blue
Scar/mark - Small scar on cheek (noticable only when she is cold).

Clothing - Tank top, shorts, athletic running shoes
Eyewear - Gas permeable contacts
Jewelry - Double band wedding ring worn on left ring finger, and "Timex" watch.

Circumstances of Disappearance - Unknown. Amy was last seen at a camera store in Lander, WY. Her vehicle was found along Loop Rd. in the Wind River Mountains above Lander. Her keys were still in the car but her wallet was gone.

Amy Joy Wroe Bechtel – The Charley Project
bechtel_amy2.jpg
amy_joy_wroe_bechtel_3.jpg
amy_joy_wroe_bechtel_4.jpg
amy_joy_wroe_bechtel_6.jpg
bechtel_amy7.jpg

Amy Joy Wroe Bechtel
  • Missing Since 07/24/1997
  • Missing From Lander, Wyoming
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/04/1972 (48)
  • Age 24 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5 - 5'6, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description - A yellow or gold tank top, blue or black shorts, Adidas Trail Response sneakers, a Timex Ironman Triathalon watch and a small double wedding band on her left ring finger.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics - Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Amy has pierced ears. Some agencies hyphenate her last name, as in "Wroe-Bechtel," or refer to her as Amy Wroe. Her hair was shoulder-length at the time of her July 1997 disappearance. She wears size 8 shoes and gas-permeable contact lenses. Amy has scars on both shins and knees, a checker-shaped scar on her lower back, and a scar on her left cheek approximately half an inch by two inches in size; the scar is only noticeable when she is cold.
Details of Disappearance
Amy departed from the Lander, Wyoming apartment she shared with her husband of one year, Steve Bechtel, at approximately 9:30 a.m. on July 24, 1997 to run errands for the house they had just purchased and were going to move into. She was seen at a local photo shop at approximately 2:30 p.m. that afternoon; employees at the store said she seemed to be in a hurry and looked at her watch several times.

Authorities believe Amy left the business and drove to Shoshone National Forest to check the course of an upcoming ten-kilometer run planned by her gym. She have have been seen running along the Loop Road; a footprint similar to her sneaker was found there, but it was destroyed before police could attempt to match it. Amy is an avid runner. She has never been seen again.

Steve returned to their residence at approximately 4:30 p.m. He had been socializing with friends and moving items into his new house all day. Steve was not initially concerned for Amy, but he summoned the authorities when his wife did not arrive home by 10:30 p.m.

Amy's white Toyota station wagon was discovered abandoned along Loop Road in the Wind River Mountains near Shoshone National Park shortly after her disappearance. Her keys, her $120 sunglasses, and her to-do list for the day were inside the vehicle, but her green Eagle Creek wallet was missing. There was no other sign of Amy at the scene, nor were there any indications of foul play.

Investigators began focusing on Steve and searched his journals for possible clues as to his wife's whereabouts. Steve wrote about an apparent need for control in his journal and also penned an undated poem that revolved around murdering a person and then hiding the remains.

A woman who was camping in Shoshone National Park on the day Amy was last seen told authorities that she witnessed a truck similar to Steve's vehicle speeding through the park during the early evening hours. The woman stated that she saw an unidentified blonde-haired woman in the passenger seat. It is not known if the incident is related to Amy's case.

Acquaintances of the couple gave conflicting statements about their relationship; some described it was idyllic, but others stated that Steve was jealous and often belittled Amy, and that her demeanor changed whenever she was around him.

Steve's attorney advised him to stop cooperating with law enforcement and refuse a polygraph test. Steve maintains his innocence and believes that authorities focused on him due to a lack of suspects and evidence in Amy's disappearance. He was interviewed only once by authorities; he refused to speak with them further after he said the questions turned accusatory. Steve remarried several years after Amy vanished and still lives in the house they purchased days before her disappearance.

A suspect in Amy's case is Dale Wayne Eaton, who is presently the only inmate on Wyoming's death row. He was convicted of the 1988 rape and murder of an eighteen-year-old Lisa Marie Kimmel.

Investigators believe Eaton may be the so-called "Great Basin Killer," the serial killer whom they think was responsible for the murders of at least nine women in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada between 1983 and 1997. His brother claims Eaton was in the Lander area at the time Amy went missing. Eaton has refused to discuss Amy's disappearance and has never been charged in any other cases besides Kimmel's.

Amy graduated from the University of Wyoming in 1995. She is described as shy, quiet, disciplined and goal-oriented. She enjoys rock climbing and amateur photography in addition to running, and hoped to someday be an Olympic marathoner. Her family continues to search for her, though her father died after her disappearance. Amy's case remains unsolved. Foul play is suspected.

Amy Joy Wroe Bechtel – The Charley Project
bechtel_amy2.jpg
amy_joy_wroe_bechtel_3.jpg
amy_joy_wroe_bechtel_4.jpg
amy_joy_wroe_bechtel_6.jpg
bechtel_amy7.jpg

Amy Joy Wroe Bechtel
  • Missing Since 07/24/1997
  • Missing From Lander, Wyoming
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/04/1972 (48)
  • Age 24 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5 - 5'6, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description - A yellow or gold tank top, blue or black shorts, Adidas Trail Response sneakers, a Timex Ironman Triathalon watch and a small double wedding band on her left ring finger.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics - Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Amy has pierced ears. Some agencies hyphenate her last name, as in "Wroe-Bechtel," or refer to her as Amy Wroe. Her hair was shoulder-length at the time of her July 1997 disappearance. She wears size 8 shoes and gas-permeable contact lenses. Amy has scars on both shins and knees, a checker-shaped scar on her lower back, and a scar on her left cheek approximately half an inch by two inches in size; the scar is only noticeable when she is cold.
Details of Disappearance
Amy departed from the Lander, Wyoming apartment she shared with her husband of one year, Steve Bechtel, at approximately 9:30 a.m. on July 24, 1997 to run errands for the house they had just purchased and were going to move into. She was seen at a local photo shop at approximately 2:30 p.m. that afternoon; employees at the store said she seemed to be in a hurry and looked at her watch several times.

Authorities believe Amy left the business and drove to Shoshone National Forest to check the course of an upcoming ten-kilometer run planned by her gym. She have have been seen running along the Loop Road; a footprint similar to her sneaker was found there, but it was destroyed before police could attempt to match it. Amy is an avid runner. She has never been seen again.

Steve returned to their residence at approximately 4:30 p.m. He had been socializing with friends and moving items into his new house all day. Steve was not initially concerned for Amy, but he summoned the authorities when his wife did not arrive home by 10:30 p.m.

Amy's white Toyota station wagon was discovered abandoned along Loop Road in the Wind River Mountains near Shoshone National Park shortly after her disappearance. Her keys, her $120 sunglasses, and her to-do list for the day were inside the vehicle, but her green Eagle Creek wallet was missing. There was no other sign of Amy at the scene, nor were there any indications of foul play.

Investigators began focusing on Steve and searched his journals for possible clues as to his wife's whereabouts. Steve wrote about an apparent need for control in his journal and also penned an undated poem that revolved around murdering a person and then hiding the remains.

A woman who was camping in Shoshone National Park on the day Amy was last seen told authorities that she witnessed a truck similar to Steve's vehicle speeding through the park during the early evening hours. The woman stated that she saw an unidentified blonde-haired woman in the passenger seat. It is not known if the incident is related to Amy's case.

Acquaintances of the couple gave conflicting statements about their relationship; some described it was idyllic, but others stated that Steve was jealous and often belittled Amy, and that her demeanor changed whenever she was around him.

Steve's attorney advised him to stop cooperating with law enforcement and refuse a polygraph test. Steve maintains his innocence and believes that authorities focused on him due to a lack of suspects and evidence in Amy's disappearance. He was interviewed only once by authorities; he refused to speak with them further after he said the questions turned accusatory. Steve remarried several years after Amy vanished and still lives in the house they purchased days before her disappearance.

A suspect in Amy's case is Dale Wayne Eaton, who is presently the only inmate on Wyoming's death row. He was convicted of the 1988 rape and murder of an eighteen-year-old Lisa Marie Kimmel.

Investigators believe Eaton may be the so-called "Great Basin Killer," the serial killer whom they think was responsible for the murders of at least nine women in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada between 1983 and 1997. His brother claims Eaton was in the Lander area at the time Amy went missing. Eaton has refused to discuss Amy's disappearance and has never been charged in any other cases besides Kimmel's.

Amy graduated from the University of Wyoming in 1995. She is described as shy, quiet, disciplined and goal-oriented. She enjoys rock climbing and amateur photography in addition to running, and hoped to someday be an Olympic marathoner. Her family continues to search for her, though her father died after her disappearance. Amy's case remains unsolved. Foul play is suspected.
Wow! Some of this stuff is new to me. The Charley Project says Steve was socializing with friends and moving into their new house. All the other stories I've read have Steve rock climbing with a friend or in the same area with a travel writer, Sam Lightner, Jr.
Long Gone Girl | Runner's World

I knew someone said they saw a truck that looked like Steve's, but this is the first I've heard mention of a woman in the truck. In fact, I've heard two different stories on the truck - one that said the witness saw the truck speeding down the road, but no mention a driver or passenger description and the other stating the truck was seen parked where Amy parked with no mention of any person around it.

I saw the episode of Disappeared last night, and my radar went off regarding Steve, apparently he was controlling and their marriage was rocky, the family noticed bruises on Amy, she admitted it was Steve's doing, also when they went to a restaurant Amy looked at Steve for approval before ordering food ffs! Hubby like that plus missing wife, it's almost always him that's responsible. This could be an exception I suppose.

I saw the episode of Disappeared last night, and my radar went off regarding Steve, apparently he was controlling and their marriage was rocky, the family noticed bruises on Amy, she admitted it was Steve's doing, also when they went to a restaurant Amy looked at Steve for approval before ordering food ffs! Hubby like that plus missing wife, it's almost always him that's responsible. This could be an exception I suppose.

I think that episode is supposed to evoke that response and many of us have had the same. In the years that have passed, it is interesting to me that Steve has remarried and has stayed and put down roots in that small town. I also think that he had a pretty solid alibi after all and in the end. There is a podcast out there by a guy who profiles another man in another case and he is discussed as a possible suspect in Amy's disappearance. I wish I could remember the name of the podcast, but I bet a search would turn it up.

Wow! Some of this stuff is new to me. The Charley Project says Steve was socializing with friends and moving into their new house. All the other stories I've read have Steve rock climbing with a friend or in the same area with a travel writer, Sam Lightner, Jr.
Long Gone Girl | Runner's World

I knew someone said they saw a truck that looked like Steve's, but this is the first I've heard mention of a woman in the truck. In fact, I've heard two different stories on the truck - one that said the witness saw the truck speeding down the road, but no mention a driver or passenger description and the other stating the truck was seen parked where Amy parked with no mention of any person around it.

I think the story told by the witnesses who said they saw his truck was eventually proven false. I can't remember the details, but it was pretty solidly refuted. I think the longer a case like this goes on, the more details like this one continue to float around in the "facts" even though they may not be considered facts any longer. The best way to clarify these, IMO, is to find a good, credible and current podcast that lays out the facts. I have listened to a couple but for the life of me cannot remember the names. I do believe one was done by Scott Fuller.

According to Amy's Charley Project page Amy Joy Wroe Bechtel – The Charley Project, the other suspect is Dale Eaton.

Investigators believe Eaton may be the so-called "Great Basin Killer," the serial killer whom they think was responsible for the murders of at least nine women in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada between 1983 and 1997. His brother claims Eaton was in the Lander area at the time Amy went missing.

I also think that he had a pretty solid alibi after all and in the end.

I would rate his alibi as good, but not truly solid. He and a friend went rock climbing that day. Evidently, the plan was to scout a new formation, then climb it if possible.

The rock climbing component of the trip was apparently cancelled when they realized that they had not brought the proper equipment. After a certain amount of time spent doing general scouting, the two left.

The shortened stay is said to have allowed Steve enough time to drive to his wife's work out location. The timing for such a trip was said to have been tight, but by no means impossible.

Last edited:
According to Amy's Charley Project page Amy Joy Wroe Bechtel – The Charley Project, the other suspect is Dale Eaton.

Investigators believe Eaton may be the so-called "Great Basin Killer," the serial killer whom they think was responsible for the murders of at least nine women in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada between 1983 and 1997. His brother claims Eaton was in the Lander area at the time Amy went missing.

Thanks for reminding me. After I posted, I realized had I scrolled up a bit the info was upthread. *facepalm* I tend to just read the latest on threads I am just checking in on after a long time.

Her case is certainly, up to this day, a major head scratcher. While I am not convinced her husband did it, I don't lean towards him being totally innocent, either. I guess I just don't have an opinion on him at all. I do know that I almost wish that ANYTHING other that Dale Eaton is responsible because I don't want to think about her fate if he is responsible. I believe he has been ordered to undergo a mental eval because Wyoming is trying to execute him.

There were, of course, lots of rumors of other possible locals being responsible but it seems they were not pursued as aggressively as some locals thought they should have been.

I hope that one day her family can at least lay her to rest.

Thanks for reminding me. After I posted, I realized had I scrolled up a bit the info was upthread. *facepalm* I tend to just read the latest on threads I am just checking in on after a long time.

Her case is certainly, up to this day, a major head scratcher. While I am not convinced her husband did it, I don't lean towards him being totally innocent, either. I guess I just don't have an opinion on him at all. I do know that I almost wish that ANYTHING other that Dale Eaton is responsible because I don't want to think about her fate if he is responsible. I believe he has been ordered to undergo a mental eval because Wyoming is trying to execute him.

There were, of course, lots of rumors of other possible locals being responsible but it seems they were not pursued as aggressively as some locals thought they should have been.

I hope that one day her family can at least lay her to rest.
I wonder if the other possibilities were not pursued hard enough due to too much focus on her husband. For years in the 2005 Tara Grinstead case, her family - her sister most notably - placed the blame on her former boyfriend, Marcus Harper. They came right out and called him guilty. In 2017 the actual killer was arrested and it was someone LE or the public didn't even have their eye on. It was later found out that one man knew who did it and started calling different LE agencies involved in 2007 and kept calling for 9 years. The GBI stated they don't know why action wasn't taken on the tips.

I think it was Dale Eaton. In one of the articles about Amy it says she was seen running up the road by I think 2 different cars. When one of the cars was coming back down the road he expected to see her coming back down as it was starting to rain. But he never saw her. I think Eaton was in the area, happened to be driving by and then offered her a ride or struck her and grabbed her.

I just watched the Disappeared episode on this case. Did anyone else notice that during Steve Bechtel's interview with the media when they ask him if he had anything to do with Amy's disappearance he subconsciously shakes his head yes but verbally says "no". Not sure it means much but it's very interesting.

PHOTOS: Wyoming launches new missing persons database, listing 71 cases dating back to 1974

Missing Person, July 24, 1997, Fremont County, Wyoming: On July 24, 1997, Amy Wroe Bechtel, 24, disappeared while jogging the Loop Road area between Lander and South Pass in Fremont County, Wyoming. Her car was found parked along the road. An extensive search of the area has failed to yield clues as to her location. Amy Wroe Bechtel is a white female, 115 pounds with blond hair and blue eyes. Anyone with information about Amy Bechtel’s disappearance is urged to contact the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office at (307) 332-1000, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation at (307) 777-7181.

Recently saw the old Disappeared episode on AB, and had previously seen the Unsolved Mysteries segment on the case as well.

Extremely baffling/puzzling case - given that no body (or trace of one) has been found.

I don't feel AB's husband was involved here. IMHO he did have a solid alibi, and also he did spear-head a search for her afterwards. A cynical person would say that he was doing this in order to draw attention away from himself. But, IMHO the reality is that if did have something to do with this - I don't believe he would encourage anyone to look further into her disappearance. Just my .02

I suspect that AB was OK with jogging/running on those back-roads because the area was probably considered somewhat safe at that time - especially given that she was jogging during the day.

I have a couple of theories on what could have happened to her:

- She was abducted by a predator, who may have taken her a distance away/out of state. It's possible the predator just noticed her the day she vanished; or, they may have stalked her for a while beforehand.

-Much less likely is the possibility that a wild animal (mountain lion/bear, and/or whatever other animals are indigenous to that area) attacked her & dragged her body far away from the road where she was jogging. I do know that wild animals are known to attack people in situations like this. However, the reason I find it unlikely in this case is that there were significant searches for AB, and there was no trace found of a struggle/blood/etc. I.e., if she was attacked by an animal, you would think some indication of this would have been seen at some point - given that the spot where she was attacked would probably have been messy, etc.

That being said, it's also plausible that this happened - and any traces were missed by those looking for her and/or got washed away the next time it rained in the area, etc.

Last edited:
Article dated Feb 2021:
1683741785660.jpeg
Amy Joy Wroe was born on august 4th 1972 in Santa Barbara California to her parents Dywane and Joanne Roe. Amy was described as very family oriented, intelligent, beautiful, shy but also very trusting. After graduating highschool she furthered her education and attended the University of Wyoming where she met her husband named Steve Betchel. After graduating with a degree in exercise physiology they moved to Lander, Wyoming in july of 1997. Lander was what they felt was the best fit for them as they were both fitness oriented and enjoyed the outdoors such as running and rock climbing etc.. Amy was a star runner where she wanted to join the olympic marathon in 2000. Amy had 3 jobs and was training for the olympic marathon and Steve was an avid rock climber. That’s an insight to their life. They were a fairly active couple and kept themselves busy.

That said let’s get into it, fast forward to July 24, 1997 the lovely couple had been married for a little over a year. Steve had left their home at about 9:30 am that morning because he was scheduled to go rock climbing with his friend Sam Lightner Jr. in Jackson, Wyoming which is about 80 miles from where they live so he was going to be gone the majority of the day. Amy was staying back at home to teach a fitness class along with a few errands to run that day. Amy’s fitness class ended at about 2:30 pm including a phone call she had. Her errands that day included having to get the gas turned on for their home as well as purchase home insurance. According to Sam, Amy had planned to go for a jog in the Shoshone national forest. This rainforest covered 2,500,000 acres (pretty big if you ask me). Amy then left to go to a photo store (gallery 331) to get several photos framed. Greg, a worker at the gallery said that he had seen Amy and said that she seemed like she was in a rush and was looking at her watch the entire time. That was the last time anyone would see Amy.

Around 4:30 pm Steve came home from his rock climbing excursion. He didn’t think very much of the fact that Amy wasn’t home; he knew she had a busy day. Around 8:30 pm Steve headed over to the neighbors whose names are Amy and Todd Skinner told Steve that Amy hadn’t come home. Steve didn’t seem too concerned; he thought that maybe she was coming back later but he mentioned that she hadn’t been answering her phone. He then decided that he was going to call Amy’s parents who live in northern Wyoming thinking that maybe she had gone up to see them however that was not the case. 11 oclock rolls around and Steve starts to panic and worry and decides to call 911 and file a missing persons report. After filing the report he went back to the neighbors house where the three of them left to go to the national forest. Witnesses say that they had seen Amy on the trail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge
Back