Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #96

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's depressing to think that so many don't have or use critical thinking skills to make their decisions regarding vaccinations.
To decide not to vaccinate is one thing but to then make the decision to parody/belittle/discount the vaccination to anyone that will listen is really a step too far. Those actions make it really hard for me to feel much sympathy.

47-Year-Old Mother of 4 from Arizona Dies After COVID Battle: She 'Left Her Mark on So Many' — People

“Like her husband Ysmael and their 17-year-old son, Fernanda had battled a COVID-19 infection since early July, according to the outlet. While Ysmael and his son recovered, Fernanda's symptoms worsened, and she was taken to a local emergency room shortly before her death. It was there that doctors discovered she had a blood clot in her lungs.”

“Ysmael admitted the family did not receive COVID-19 vaccines, due to concerns about potential side effects. Now, he told KSAZ, he'll get one in the future.

"With what I have experienced, I don't want to go through this again," he said. "I do not."

:(

Oh gosh, a 47 yr old woman, mother of four. What a sad, avoidable tragedy now that we have vaccines. But we all know that this story will be retold many, many more times. Is there no way to reach the minds of people like this mother?

Too late now. And since one dose doesn't provide much protection against delta, waiting that long will get people (who are between doses) infected.

Indeed, but perhaps it will bring some reassurance to those who worried that their delayed vaccinations may have compromised their protection.

Sundog, While you're at it be sure to pray for any children under 12 that he may have infected as well as any immunocompromised people that he may have infected. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I've just about had it with people that could care less about how their not masking or vaccinated impacts others. If you don't want to vaccinate, MASK and stay out of groups/public.

Mask up, everyone!

20% of COVID infections in June occurred among vaccinated, LA County health says

LOS ANGELES (CNS) -- A relentless surge of COVID-19 cases continued Thursday in Los Angeles County as another 2,700 cases were reported, with the percentage of infections occurring among fully vaccinated residents steadily rising.

In fact, during the month of June, 20% of all newly reported COVID infections in the county occurred among people who had been fully vaccinated. That was up from 11% in May and 5% in April. But Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said the increase is normal given the continued rise in the number of people who are getting fully vaccinated.

Sundog, While you're at it be sure to pray for any children under 12 that he may have infected as well as any immunocompromised people that he may have infected. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I've just about had it with people that could care less about how their not masking or vaccinated impacts others. If you don't want to vaccinate, MASK and stay out of groups/public.

If you want to send me their names, I would be glad to pray for anyone who is fighting for their life, to add them to my prayer list.

The current COVID-19 surge in the U.S. — fueled by the highly contagious delta variant — will steadily accelerate through the summer and fall, peaking in mid-October, with daily deaths more than triple what they are now.

In the most likely scenario, at the peak in mid-October, there would be around 60,000 cases and around 850 deaths each day.

...the very worst end of the range for the most likely scenario shows about 240,000 people getting infected and 4,000 people dying each day at the October peak, which would be almost as bad as last winter.

The Delta Variant Will Drive A Steep Rise In U.S. COVID Deaths, A New Model Shows

Last edited:
It's depressing to think that so many don't have or use critical thinking skills to make their decisions regarding vaccinations.
To decide not to vaccinate is one thing but to then make the decision to parody/belittle/discount the vaccination to anyone that will listen is really a step too far. Those actions make it really hard for me to feel much sympathy.

I think it's natural to feel that way to some extent--because they're actions may actually put your life in greater danger.

I still feel sympathetic, though, because a person can only think what they think, and their opinions are based on a lifetime of ideas and ideology. That why education really is important--it can elevate a mindset.

A small portion of the population in my neck of the woods fit into that category of conspiracy--but they're good people. I would hate to see any of them suffer.

The current COVID-19 surge in the U.S. — fueled by the highly contagious delta variant — will steadily accelerate through the summer and fall, peaking in mid-October, with daily deaths more than triple what they are now.

In the most likely scenario, at the peak in mid-October, there would be around 60,000 cases and around 850 deaths each day.

...the very worst end of the range for the most likely scenario shows about 240,000 people getting infected and 4,000 people dying each day at the October peak, which would be almost as bad as last winter.

The Delta Variant Will Drive A Steep Rise In U.S. COVID Deaths, A New Model Shows

It's just incredible how everyone is ignoring this. I hope the deaths stay low, but I'm stunned at the devil-may-care attitude of most of the people I see now. Young and old, alike, they're not paying attention.

I also wonder if the summer weather is keeping people outside more and they're not spending as much time indoors online reading the news. Or, maybe watching TV? The parks have been full with what looks like huge family reunions. Big weddings are taking place.

The seriousness of Delta is not getting to the people. I know some would ignore it anyway--but not this many. I'm seeing virtually everyone running around, hugging, shaking hands--and nary a mask in sight.

Oh gosh, a 47 yr old woman, mother of four. What a sad, avoidable tragedy now that we have vaccines. But we all know that this story will be retold many, many more times. Is there no way to reach the minds of people like this mother?

I think we have to keep trying. I'm afraid we'll never stop this virus if it keeps spreading and mutating.

Oakland Zoo vaccinates its animals against Covid-19
More at link
The zoo is among the first of more than 70 animal organizations across the nation to administer donated vaccines from the animal health company Zoetis. The two-dose Zoetis vaccine, based on the COVID-19 spike protein, can be used across many species, from the zoo’s mountain lions and gibbons to its fruit bats and wolves. Rubicon and Truckee are part of a carefully planned vaccination effort that started on June 30 and will continue for the rest of the year, targeting the zoo’s most vulnerable animals.

Only 60,000 case at the peak? Sounds like wishful thinking, we are already at 60,000 per day and presumably nowhere near the peak.

I can tell you flat out: I feel no sympathy for people who act in this way. none

No. Not with media outlets spewing dangerous rhetoric that fuels the thoughts among people who don't seem to understand the full scope and ramifications of their belief system that vaccines are unhealthy.

I listened to one tirade the other day, that was full of half truths, and illogical conclusions based on absolutely nothing. Definitely not science. Even more so, I wish that someone would "out" these media folks, who cater to the anti-vax crowd, while at the same time, they and their families have been vaccinated. If they don't believe in vaccines, why did they "join the herd" and also get vaccinated?

I wished that someone had the opportunity to speak with an "anti vaxxer", and confront each one of the statements made. At what point would these folks understand that they are like the "Flat Earth Society"? Hopelessly stuck in untrue beliefs, despite evidence, that is contrary to their carefully constructed thoughts.

It is sad when someone dies so needlessly. I don't understand it. But, people are allowed to make their own decisions...in the United States. Even if it kills them.

No. Not with media outlets spewing dangerous rhetoric that fuels the thoughts among people who don't seem to understand the full scope and ramifications of their belief system that vaccines are unhealthy.

I listened to one tirade the other day, that was full of half truths, and illogical conclusions based on absolutely nothing. Definitely not science. Even more so, I wish that someone would "out" these media folks, who cater to the anti-vax crowd, while at the same time, they and their families have been vaccinated. If they don't believe in vaccines, why did they "join the herd" and also get vaccinated?

I wished that someone had the opportunity to speak with an "anti vaxxer", and confront each one of the statements made. At what point would these folks understand that they are like the "Flat Earth Society"? Hopelessly stuck in untrue beliefs, despite evidence, that is contrary to their carefully constructed thoughts.

It is sad when someone dies so needlessly. I don't understand it. But, people are allowed to make their own decisions...in the United States. Even if it kills them.

It is funny (not funny) that Murdoch got himself fully vaccinated - and says that people should get vaccinated - yet he allows the media companies he owns to cast doubt on the vaccines.

Murdoch receives COVID-19 vaccine as Fox News host casts suspicion on campaign

Vaccinated America Has Had Enough — The Atlantic

“In the United States, this pandemic could’ve been over by now, and certainly would’ve been by Labor Day. If the pace of vaccination through the summer had been anything like the pace in April and May, the country would be nearing herd immunity. With most adults immunized, new and more infectious coronavirus variants would have nowhere to spread. Life could return nearly to normal.”

I fixed a mimosa after reading this. :(

Vaccinated America Has Had Enough — The Atlantic

“In the United States, this pandemic could’ve been over by now, and certainly would’ve been by Labor Day. If the pace of vaccination through the summer had been anything like the pace in April and May, the country would be nearing herd immunity. With most adults immunized, new and more infectious coronavirus variants would have nowhere to spread. Life could return nearly to normal.”

I fixed a mimosa after reading this. :(

"The consequence of DeSantis’s weeks of pandering to COVID-19 denial: More than one-fifth of all new COVID-19 cases in the United States are arising in the state of Florida—24,000 recorded on a single day, July 20." :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie