AZ AZ - Daniel Robinson, 24, remote job site, Buckeye, 23 Jun 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still feel this is not going to have a happy ending. My first thought was perhaps a head injury, disoriented and wandered off. Not sure what the temps were out there, but where I am we had about a solid week of 113. Lost electricity for a couple of hours in the hottest part of day on one of the days. I'm just glad it's a step in the right direction for his family.
The initial day of the crash is not an issue, cool by summer temos and overcast it'd be the next 2-3 days. Temps back up in low 100s. My Hope is he made it south by 3-4 miles and came on an abandoned house with some water and left over suplies. But my fear is he was disoriented and wandered up some washes trying to take shortcuts and is under some scrub brush.

That was EXACTLY my first thought too. It's just happened in so many cases I've read on here. Crazy how many.

Sadly, I don't think he'd hold out for very long in that heat without water....

....and how far could he walk in searing desert heat with a potential head injury, and nothing to hydrate him?

I don't think he'd be more than a mile (absolute maximum) from his wrecked car without collapsing.
That day was relatively cool, its the next 2-3 days and no telling how badly injured he was.

The initial day of the crash is not an issue, cool by summer temos and overcast it'd be the next 2-3 days. Temps back up in low 100s. My Hope is he made it south by 3-4 miles and came on an abandoned house with some water and left over suplies. But my fear is he was disoriented and wandered up some washes trying to take shortcuts and is under some scrub brush.
A friend posted a picture of a sunset coming back from Patagonia on facebook. I saw the sunset and all the sagebrush, mesquites etc. It was a beautiful sunset, but all I could think of was Daniel holed up under something like that. It was sad.

I keep forgetting that he was missing his right hand. His accident might have been the result of not being able to control the vehicle in some driving mishap. Then imagine trying to get out of the crashed vehicle using one hand. He could have spent many hours in the heat trying to maneuver a way out. I believe in miracles, and we really need one now PLEASE!

I keep forgetting that he was missing his right hand. His accident might have been the result of not being able to control the vehicle in some driving mishap. Then imagine trying to get out of the crashed vehicle using one hand. He could have spent many hours in the heat trying to maneuver a way out. I believe in miracles, and we really need one now PLEASE!

Not a problem for my left-handed offspring. Most people are not aware of how little we use our non-dominant hand.

Seriously, if someone handed you a list of handicapping conditions during pregnancy and said that you had to pick one -- RBE (Right Below Elbow) or LBE (left) would be my recomendation.

We have friends with child with Down syndrome, friends with a child with spina bifida.

Mr. Robinson can do absolutely anything that any early-twenties person can do.

jmhexperience ymmv lrr

There was supposed to be another search I think this weekend. I'm wondering if the rancher will let them on his land since searches were already done there with no results. I'm guessing it's not a well traveled road or someone would have seen the car sooner, unless the ravine was THAT deep. I wonder if he even tried to use his phone. He may have been too disoriented or no cell service. How heartbreaking all the way around. I'm not feeling very hopeful.

It is Monsoon time in Arizona, rain occurring, high winds last night and so far no dust storm (haboob).
Cooler temps but also possible flash flooding.
NWS Phoenix
You and I both. I woke up to 5 flash flood warnings. Our news is a calling this a "significant weather event". I slept through it, but my husband said in the wee hours of the morning we had crazy wind and rain. There are a few areas around that have no power. Thankfully, except for the humidity, it's not to bad out.
https://www.kgun9.com/weather/alerts

There was supposed to be another search I think this weekend. I'm wondering if the rancher will let them on his land since searches were already done there with no results. I'm guessing it's not a well traveled road or someone would have seen the car sooner, unless the ravine was THAT deep. I wonder if he even tried to use his phone. He may have been too disoriented or no cell service. How heartbreaking all the way around. I'm not feeling very hopeful.

Search For Daniel – Please help look for Daniel Robinson

It appears the search was postponed until further notice due to weather.

JUL 22, 2021
Vehicle Found in Search For Missing Man in Buckeye Area | All About Arizona News
The vehicle airbags had been deployed and police were able to tell that Daniel’s seatbelt was engaged at the time of the crash thanks to a “black box” type computer inside the car, but it could not tell the time or date of the crash.
They are still going with June 23, 2021. No contact with Daniel after 9:15 that morning (no answer on phone). I went to general area I am thinking is the accident scene. It is pretty hilly thought the washes any extra speed can cause car handling issues.

JUL 23, 2021
Dad Vows to Remain in Arizona 'As Long As It Takes' to Find Geologist Son Missing After Car Is Found in Ravine | Inside Edition
[...]

The retired army veteran said he and his son would speak at least twice a week. The last time they spoke was three days before Daniel went missing.

“He was typical Daniel. We were on the phone for at least an hour. He was interested in a young lady. He has always been very open with me and his mother,” Robinson said, describing his son as “smart, loving and outspoken.”

[...]

“I would like to emphasize that my son was not depressed," Robinson continued. "He was enjoying his life and excited about his future. He was not the type of guy to go anywhere without staying in touch with his family, and it is hurtful to us what some people have said.”

[...]

The family has organized a search that will take place on Saturday. It will go on in rain or shine, Robinson said.

Search crews will gather at 5:45 a.m. at the Loves Truckstop at 1610 N Miller Road just south of I-10 in Buckeye with a 6 a.m. start time and 10 a.m. end time. A form is on the family's website for anyone interested in participating.

“We are looking for the public’s help and for as many volunteers as possible to help search for Daniel,” Robinson said. “I have to find my son and I will stay as long as it takes."

Not a problem for my left-handed offspring. Most people are not aware of how little we use our non-dominant hand.

Seriously, if someone handed you a list of handicapping conditions during pregnancy and said that you had to pick one -- RBE (Right Below Elbow) or LBE (left) would be my recomendation.

We have friends with child with Down syndrome, friends with a child with spina bifida.

Mr. Robinson can do absolutely anything that any early-twenties person can do.

jmhexperience ymmv lrr
Agreed. I had a colleague who lost his lower non dominant arm to bone cancer as a child. He went on to be an airline captain. I will have to say he had an amazing prosthetic lower arm/hand. None of the photos I've seen of Daniel show him with such aid but if he had lived his whole life missing the hand he very likely could function as well as anyone out there. I continue to keep his family in my prayers. He sounds like an amazing young man.

They are still going with June 23, 2021. No contact with Daniel after 9:15 that morning (no answer on phone). I went to general area I am thinking is the accident scene. It is pretty hilly thought the washes any extra speed can cause car handling issues.

When you drove that area, was it obvious that you were on private ranch land? I am curious if he knew/should have known he was on private property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member