Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking he dropped his car off there in the park and got into another waiting car. Could explain why the dogs lost his scent.
I am still not even sure where he parked. The SF Chronicle story that came out yesterday discusses a cul de sac. It says:

"According to police, the Berkeley resident drove 32 miles to the Pleasanton recreation area, where he left his car in a small parking lot at the base of a residential cul-de-sac with sweeping views stretching to the foothills of Mount Diablo."

Does this mean the cul-de-sac on Serenity Terrace where there is one trailhead of the Moller Ranch trail? Or is there some other cul-de-sac on Moller Ranch Dr? Does anyone know what cul-de-sac the reporter could be referring to? It sound like it is not the Staging Area parking lot.

I was born in Berkeley, raised in the area, lived in Oakland for many years, and don't find it suspicious at all. It's not "all the way to Oakland" when you're in Berkeley - Oakland and Berkeley literally border each other. If you take a look at the large area that is Oakland, the border runs just south of Ashby Ave in Berkeley - you can see how expansive Oakland is here. Perhaps he lives right on that border area, perhaps he had other errands to run in Oakland that morning, or perhaps he took 580 to get to Pleasanton (which would most likely be my route) which makes going to Oakland anyway likely.

Plus have you ever waited in line in some of those Berkeley Post Offices?!?!?! ;) I routinely go to out of the way post offices just so I don't have to spend my entire day there.

And one more thing. Am I the ONLY one who thinks it odd he went all the way to Oakland to mail a return package instead of mailing it from Berkeley? This has bothered me from the beginning, and I have seen NO other comments questioning this. Why out of Oakland and not Berkeley. That is suspicious to me, only because I don't know what the package was, do we know anything else about it?

I think it’s odd, too. It seems he had a lot to do, that day. Why would he go out of his way when he seemed to be eager to fit that run in before picking up his family in Stockton.

It was reported that he stopped at a “parcel store”. To my mind, that would be one of those small storefronts where you can rent a mailbox/address, or they will ship and receive packages for you.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it’s odd, too. It seems he had a lot to do, that day. Why would he go out of his way when he seemed to be eager to fit that run in before picking up his family in Stockton.

It was reported that he stopped at a “parcel store”. To my mind, that would be one of those small storefronts where you can rent a mailbox/address, or they will ship and receive packages for you. Perhaps he was receiving and sending packages he didn’t want his family to see? Or it was a totally innocent errand his wife asked him to do.

<modsnip>
Has it been established for sure that Kreycik stayed in Berkeley the night before his disappearance and drove from Berkeley to the parcel store? Or could he have stayed some place in Oakland the night before? Apparently he wore the same clothes on July 10 as he did July 9 (photo of him with a beer in Redwood Park taken I believe by Chris Thoburn).

And regarding the run at Redwood Park, did Kreycik and Thoburn arrive in two vehicles and meet there or did they ride in the same vehicle? Who purchased the beer that they brought to the park and where did they buy it? Since it was by Thoburn's account 'cold' even midway during the run, did they buy it right before the run?

Did Kreycik not go to his Berkeley house Friday evening so that the next day he could wear different running attire? Why would he wear the exact same clothes he wore the day before?

Apparently Chris Thoburn said he was told Friday evening that Kreycik was going to run in Pleasanton the next day. Was Chris Thoburn supposed to run with Kreycik in Pleasanton July 10? Who owned the vehicle that a neighbor says was spotted at some point parked next or nearby to Kreycik's vehicle?

Supposedly Kreycik left to drop off the package at the parcel store around 9 AM. What happened in the two hours between the time he was spotted at the parcel store and 11 AM which is around the time his vehicle arrived at the Moller Ranch location?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it been established for sure that Kreycik stayed in Berkeley the night before his disappearance and drove from Berkeley to the parcel store? Or could he have stayed some place in Oakland the night before? Apparently he wore the same clothes on July 10 as he did July 9 (photo of him with a beer in Redwood Park taken I believe by Chris Thoburn).

And regarding the run at Redwood Park, did Kreycik and Thoburn arrive in two vehicles and meet there or did they ride in the same vehicle? Who purchased the beer that they brought to the park and where did they buy it? Since it was by Thoburn's account 'cold' even midway during the run, did they buy it right before the run?

Did Kreycik not go to his Berkeley house Friday evening so that the next day he could wear different running attire? Why would he wear the exact same clothes he wore the day before?

Apparently Chris Thoburn said he was told Friday evening that Kreycik was going to run in Pleasanton the next day. Was Chris Thoburn supposed to run with Kreycik in Pleasanton July 10? Who owned the vehicle that a neighbor says was spotted at some point parked next or nearby to Kreycik's vehicle?

Supposedly Kreycik left to drop off the package at the parcel store around 9 AM. What happened in the two hours between the time he was spotted at the parcel store and 11 AM which is around the time his vehicle arrived at the Moller Ranch location?
Have they recovered the contents of the package mailed and what was the destination?

Oooh, I have so many questions about that “ice cold beer”! Don’t get me started.

I also wonder whether his wife and kids spent Friday night in Stockton with her family. If she did, it might explain how Philip had free time to make so many runs.

ETA: Like you, I have questions about the day and night before Philip disappeared. Same questions.

Is it typical for him to drive so far away for a run? How often has he done this, and where? When did this practice start?

Does he normally map his runs ahead of time? Does he normally run without his phone, AND do his cellphone records corroborate this? How did the police access his cellphone -- did they have to "hack" it, or was it already unlocked?

Does his phone calendar indicate any plans for later that day and week? If so, what are they and for what time are they scheduled? Have the apps on his phone been vetted by someone knowledgeable for potential communication through unconventional avenues?

Do his movements and plans for that day reflect a typical Saturday, or is this one different somehow?

Have there been any direct statements from his spouse? How is the quality of their relationship?

Also very curious if it is typical for him to drive this far for a run, and if there is something special about the route he planned to run? (i.e. is it a route runners training for certain events use.) I'm scrolling back to catch up. Just noticed this case while reading news, and it caught my interest.

The SF Chronicle story seems to have been updated and no longer says he was at PR park on Friday.
Like I said earlier about the watch, it was sloppy reporting, even if we kind of knew what they meant. I wouldn't waste time trying to understand what they meant by "cul de sac" either. It's kind of surprising for the SF Chronicle, isn't it? Unfortunately this article was mirrored by MSN and was used as a source for the SFist article yesterday as well. So confusing info may be circulating for a while until LE or another source clears it up with another statement.

Oooh, I have so many questions about that “ice cold beer”! Don’t get me started.

I also wonder whether his wife and kids spent Friday night in Stockton with her family. If she did, it might explain how Philip had free time to make so many runs.

ETA: Like you, I have questions about the day and night before Philip disappeared. Same questions.
He left Berkeley Saturday morning for what was supposed to be a brief run in the Pleasanton hills, and he never showed up to pick up his family in Stockton a few hours later. It was 106 degrees outside.
EXCLUSIVE: Wife, father of missing jogger plead for help saying, 'he's waiting for us'

Yes, wife and kids spent the night in Stockton.

Like I said earlier about the watch, it was sloppy reporting, even if we kind of knew what they meant. I wouldn't waste time trying to understand what they meant by "cul de sac" either. It's kind of surprising for the SF Chronicle, isn't it? Unfortunately this article was mirrored by MSN and was used as a source for the SFist article yesterday as well. So confusing info may be circulating for a while until LE or another source clears it up with another statement.
Very good call re: that piece.

Remember the skier from New York who went missing, and showed up in his ski gear 6 days later, in California. Stranger things have happened. I understand the hope. I think more like you though.
I had to look that one up, Somehow I missed it. Very odd.
Found Alive - NY - Constantinos 'Danny' Filippidis, 49, Lake Placid, 7 Feb 2018
If PK hit his head, got a haircut, then came to his senses later somewhere in New York, or even Minnesota, that would be as good a theory as what we have now, and not the worst outcome.

Very good call re: that piece.
Thanks. It looks like they have now corrected the watch info as well.

One thing I'm curious about is another statement, "The park was dotted with drinking water dispensers for runners and troughs for livestock". Can someone familiar with the park verify this and suggest where they are? It would certainly expand the possibilities of where and how far PK could have traveled. Also, is there really livestock wandering the trails or are these just water bowls for dogs? Or did the article author perhaps only just see coolers set up for searchers?

I firmly believe that his friends running the FB page and ground search know waaaay more than they are letting on.

Usually, the rule of Occam’s razor makes the most sense. But this time, I think answers will be found down the rabbit hole.

#3 This is what Chris said publicly July 13th on page 2 of this thread:

" while I have a lot more details around the day before (I ran with him the previous evening and was privy to his plans for the day he disappeared) and the day-of than I'm willing to share at this time, those details all point to Philip having gone on this run at this time with a specific route in mind in a totally normal fashion and something on that run having gone wrong. Speculation otherwise is borderline trollish behavior, and currently we are still in a narrow window of a safe recovery that we are praying for. Please limit your imaginations for the time being, there will be all too much time later to ponder what-ifs if we don't find him. "

Gee. Nothing weird at all about those comments as we read them again 10 days later, right?

Last edited:
If he wanted to walk away from his family, why stage it (stating his plan to go running, family supposed to meet him, car left in odd spot, with his phone and wallet left in car)? All that seems to me to be meant for public consumption--fuel for the inevitable news stories to follow. I just don't see, unless those in his circle know and have divulged much more than they're saying, how all that leads LE to say foul play not suspected.

PK seemed to be doing some intense running just before he disappeared. Was it in response to a new, unbearable stressor? Maybe he got some devastating news from a doctor. Maybe he was being threatened. I knew someone who was in huge debt due to a gambling problem, and fearful of some very unpleasant people. To meet him you'd never have guessed it. Analytical people can be drawn to gambling, and winning is kind of a "runner's high."

The same clothes really bug me to. It makes no sense. Do you know who provided the pic, and then who provided the info that those were the clothes he was wearing on Saturday?

Has his wife said anything about where he spent the night?

Perhaps so people don't think he had any other clothing with him when in fact he may have. Maybe that's what was in the mailed package.

The same clothes really bug me to. It makes no sense. Do you know who provided the pic, and then who provided the info that those were the clothes he was wearing on Saturday?

Has his wife said anything about where he spent the night?

The photo was taken by Chris and I believe he said that is what he was wearing on Saturday. The shirt with the reflectors was said to be found by police in his car.

I have not seen his wife or anyone comment on where he was between the run with Chris and a few others Friday evening and dropping off a box at a package store around 9 am Saturday, nor where he was from that time to 11 am. The AMA starts in about 20 minutes, maybe Chris will share more. It is on the Search FB page at noon Pacific time.

Day: 14 or Two weeks

"A runner went missing without a clue. Detectives say the case is an ‘unprecedented’ mystery
For detectives used to resolving missing person cases within hours or days, the 37-year old’s disappearance has seemingly defied logic. “I can’t even speculate on this one — it’s very, very odd,” said Sgt. Aaron Fountain, investigations chief for the Pleasanton Police Department."

https://twitter.com/i/events/1418291105628528640

Yeah, well, the leader of the FB Group cannot speculate nor reveal things pertinent to the investigation but remains silent online.

A runner went missing. Detectives say it's an 'unprecedented' mystery

July 20

Philip's father, Keith, and wife lived with Philip and his wife and two children.
There has not been so much as a shoelace found or anything that points as a sign of PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Champ86