Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it? #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandson got the Moderna shot, but the site where he got it was unable to provide shot #2 (not sure why). His mom, an infectious disease doc, finally told him to just take what he could get in his area, which turned out to be the J&J one. I don't know if that combo is as good as having both Moderna shots, though, and I don't think she knows for sure either.

The J&J vaccine is a one shot vaccine, and is the only vaccine that doesn't require a second shot. It wouldn't have been offered as a second dose to anyone who has had any other vaccine. Maybe your grandson was mistaken that he was given a J&J, or he was given it by mistake. Maybe I have missed reports that J&J is now given as a second shot for other vaccines?

The J&J vaccine is a one shot vaccine, and is the only vaccine that doesn't require a second shot. It wouldn't have been offered as a second dose to anyone who has had any other vaccine. Maybe your grandson was mistaken that he was given a J&J, or he was given it by mistake. Maybe I have missed reports that J&J is now given as a second shot for other vaccines?

No, he had J&J. His mom is a professor and vaccine researcher, so I'm certain she was confident that it would be safe. She may have checked with other researchers to get their opinions. I think he got the J&J shot about 6 weeks after the Moderna.

No, he had J&J. His mom is a professor and vaccine researcher, so I'm certain she was confident that it would be safe. She may have checked with other researchers to get their opinions. I think he got the J&J shot about 6 weeks after the Moderna.

J&J are trialling two doses of their vaccine right now. And the CDC is only recommending not mixing shots because they don't have enough data about mixing them at the moment ... not because it is proven to be unsafe to do so.

Johnson & Johnson COVID vaccine: UK sets new study for 2-dose shot

European research teams have also published results suggesting that it’s effective to mix one dose of Pfizer-BioNTech’s vaccine with one dose of the shot made by AstraZeneca-Oxford University—which, like Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine, is adenovirus-based. That’s not a direct parallel, but it does support the general concept of mixing and matching doses.
I Got a J&J Vaccine. Should I Get a Pfizer or Moderna Booster?

Interesting correlation (surprise surprise o_O ) as they scroll through the highest numbers in states with their vaccination rates. I had to do at .5 speed to catch them all as it went so quickly by. Thank goodness for that feature that YT has.

LIVE:

Dr. Fauci, Ms. O'Connell, Dr. Woodcock/FDA, and Dr. Walensky/CDC testifying to Senate on Capitol Hill.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR some of the questions.

Last edited:
Got my second Pfizer shot yesterday. No bad side-effects to report. Sore arm, very tired but very happy.
Delta is surging here in Ireland and we're all still masking and limiting indoor interaction and all that, so my day-to-day life won't change much. But it is a relief to know I'll soon have decent protection against Delta as case numbers and hospitalisations are sadly blowing up again.

J&J is not given as a second shot to other vaccines in the US. US is not giving out boosters right now. We have three approved vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna and J&J).
Pfizer and Moderna are two shots and J&J is one shot. While other countries mixed and matched, changed the timing between the two shots and so on, US is really sticking to what was done in clinical trials in terms of timing between the two doses, not mixing and matching, and so on.

I still have no regrets (and no adverse side effects) for taking the J&J in April--just before the temp ban. Effective today:

Three weeks after King County dropped its masking directive, the county health officer again recommends all people wear masks in indoor public spaces.

[..[

“I know this is frustrating and disappointing to many,” said Duchin. “It certainly is to me. I didn’t want to be in this position. And I acknowledge that the changing communication on masking has been a real problem nationally."

King County health officer recommends people wear masks in indoor public spaces | king5.com

I’m scheduled to get my Pfizer shot (first dose) tomorrow.

I’ve put it off because I’m so scared to get it!

Would anyone care to share their experience with Pfizer, both first and second dose?

Thanks!

Would anyone care to share their experience with Pfizer, both first and second dose?

Thanks!

Best wishes, you'll be so glad you did. My first shot I made the mistake of getting it in my right arm. I'm a side sleeper and I always sleep on my right side. So if you're a side sleeper get it in the arm that you don't sleep on! That was my only issue with my first shot. The second shot I was tired and a teeny bit under the weather afterwards oh, but that was the only symptom. Other than a sore arm of course from the site injection that was just a little bit achy.

Thanks!
Same as Dixie above, sore arm and fatigue, but after both shots for me. The tiredness was extreme the night after each shot and I was still a little groggy next morning both times but nothing worse than that. I felt roughly the same after each dose - neither was noticeably worse for me but other people's experiences vary. For me the sore arm and fatigue lasted no more than 24 hours each time. Paracetamol (acetaminophen) helped. I hope you have a similar response. It really wasn't bad at all for me. I've felt much worse after the very non-experimental tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine in the past!

Thanks!

Hi, I'm glad you are getting vaccinated! I hope your after-effects are very mild.

I had my first Pfizer shot in January and had only a sore arm for a few days. After the second shot in early February, I had the sore arm, a headache that started about an hour after the shot (took Tylenol and it went away), and--the next day--fatigue in late afternoon that was over after a good night's sleep. That was it. When a booster is available to me, I will not hesitate to get it. :)

Hi, I'm glad you are getting vaccinated! I hope your after-effects are very mild.

I had my first Pfizer shot in January and had only a sore arm for a few days. After the second shot in early February, I had the sore arm, a headache that started about an hour after the shot (took Tylenol and it went away), and--the next day--fatigue in late afternoon that was over after a good night's sleep. That was it. When a booster is available to me, I will not hesitate to get it. :)
I had Moderna and my side effects were minor. I really hope we are allowed to get boosters sooner rather than later. Other countries like Israel are already boosting. Considering we have a lot of people in US who are refusing to vaccinate, there should be plenty of vaccines that can be used as boosters.

Thanks everyone for chiming in about your experiences!

I got my first dose of Pfizer vaccine yesterday snd it went well!

My only side effect was a sore/itchy arm. The itchiness went away after an hour or so. My arm is still sore but I’ll take that any day over long haul Covid.

The hardest part has been dealing with the fact that my husband doesn’t agree with my decision. Oh well. I had to do what I feel is best for me, based on my level in the risk spectrum.

Now I’m looking forward to getting the second dose done in 3 weeks!

My only side effect was a sore/itchy arm. The itchiness went away after an hour or so. My arm is still sore but I’ll take that any day over long haul Covid.

The hardest part has been dealing with the fact that my husband doesn’t agree with my decision. Oh well. I had to do what I feel is best for me, based on my level in the risk spectrum.

Glad to hear this! I hope your husband will eventually decide to join you in becoming vaccinated.

Excellent! You will feel so much more secure, once you are fully vaccinated. :)

Hopefully your hubby will see the evidence of your good decision and be vaccinated, too.

Center for Disease Control and Prevention reported that nearly 9.5 million more women than men have been vaccinated in the U.S., and in the 42 states that collect gender data, a greater share of women are getting the vaccine as well.
Why Is There Such A Gender Gap In COVID-19 Vaccination Rates?

I finally had my first does of Pfizer yesterday morning. I chose to have it in my dominant arm because I wanted it in the one that I use most. I didn’t stop doing anything and came home to do laundry, dishes, work on my p.c. etc. just a little sore. I pretended it was business as usual. I got tired when I sat down but just got back up and kept moving. I did take one Advil when the soreness started. I just now got a headache but not sure it is related. So far, this has been an absolute breeze. I prepared for worst case scenario by loading up on Powerade, saltines, etc. in case I got sick. Nothing so far lol. The only bad thing thus far was the anxiety about getting it . :rolleyes: Knock on wood. But again, I didn’t pause and just kept my normal activities and moved my arm a lot. Oh, I also kept drinking a lot of water and one powerade. I was also able to sleep on that side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82