Michigan - Coronavirus COVID-19

Participants needed for Beaumont Health study to research COVID antibody development (clickondetroit.com)

‘This study will help further understand the short and long-term benefits of COVID-19 vaccination,’ says Dr. Gabriel Maine

ROYAL OAK, Mich. – Beaumont Health has launched a research study that allows participants to monitor their immunity to COVID-19 over the next two years.

The study aims to understand how someone develops antibodies from the vaccines and how long they last.

Researchers involved with the COVID-19 Vaccination Elicited Response (COVER) are particularly interested in the immune response in people who are immune compromised, such as transplant patients or those who take immunosuppressive drugs for autoimmune conditions...
It would be nice if they put the same effort into understanding natural immunity, as well.

Michigan boy, 13, dies after getting COVID-19 vaccine; CDC investigating (detroitnews.com)

The death of a Michigan teen after he received a COVID-19 vaccine is being investigated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, a spokeswoman for the agency told The Detroit News on Friday.

"CDC is aware of a 13-year-old boy in Michigan who died after receiving a COVID-19 vaccination," spokeswoman Jade Fulce wrote in an email. "This case is currently under investigation and until the investigation is complete, it is premature to assign a specific cause of death.

"When a serious adverse event, like death, is reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) after COVID-19 vaccination, CDC requests and reviews all medical records associated with the case, including death certificates, and autopsy reports," she added. "While some reported adverse events may be caused by vaccination, others are not and may have occurred coincidentally."...

I did too, but I think this lottery should have been for only the unvaccinated as an incentive to get vaccinated--

The lottery was initiated to encourage unvaccinated people to get their shots. The deadline for registration for "MI Shot to Win" is July 30, and anyone who has had their first dose of the vaccine by then is eligible. I think that anyone who wanted to get vaccinated has already done so, and those who haven't gotten their shot/s aren't planning to do so. I haven't heard or read reports about folks rushing out to get vaccinated just so they can participate in the lottery.

I'm afraid that we are going to see major outbreaks of the Delta variant in the coming weeks/months. States have reopened, mask mandates are mostly gone (required in medical facilities), and people who aren't vaccinated aren't going to wear masks to protect themselves or others.

I hope you and yours are well.

Last edited:
Oakland County reaches 70% COVID-19 vaccination goal – The Oakland Press

HIGHLIGHTS
Oakland County reached its goal of a 70% COVID-19 vaccination rate on Friday for those 16 and older who have had at least their first shot.

“Part of me wants to throw a parade, but it’s not time yet to roll out the marching bands and the floats,’’ Oakland County Executive Dave Coulter said in a video released by the county.

“We’re among the first counties in the state and the first in Metro Detroit to reach this goal and I’m so grateful that so many county residents took the initiative to get vaccinated and keep themselves, their families, friends and neighbors safe from this insidious virus,’’ Coulter said.

Earlier in the week, the county was just 2,500 shy of reaching the goal. Coulter thanked the 750,000 county residents who have been vaccinated...

I'm pleased that my county has achieved this goal. I don't go out as much as DH, but he said that people are donning masks again in the wake of the Delta variant.

Oakland County surpasses 70% vaccination rate, some counties lag behind (detroitnews.com)

Pontiac — Oakland County has reached the state and national vaccinate rate goal of having at least one dose administered to 70% of adults — and a handful of other counties aren't far behind.

Michigan's second-largest county accounts for 1.2 million people and is the second in the state to reach the goal following Leelanau County, which has 77% of its 19,500 residents vaccinated.

Oakland County Executive Dave Coulter announced Friday that while this is a significant milestone, the county is wary of highly transmissible COVID-19 variants that continue to spread...

Detroit public schools, teachers reach agreement to return to classrooms (clickondetroit.com)

DETROIT – The Detroit Public Schools Community District and its teachers have reached an agreement to return to classrooms for in-person learning under updated COVID safety standards.

The district and Detroit Federation of Teachers announced Monday morning (July 26) that the agreement will continue many of the protocols implemented during the 2020-21 school year. DPSCD said those protocols allowed schools to effectively minimize the number of COVID outbreaks before there was access to vaccines.

“We are all excited to have our students back in schools and classrooms in the fall,” DPSCD Superintendent Dr. Nikolai Vitti said. “As a district, I am proud that we did everything we could to meet the needs of our employees, students and families during the most difficult times of the pandemic. Everyone did their part to keep each other safe and supported...

Detroit public schools, teachers union reach deal on fall reopening plan (detroitnews.com)

Last edited:
Most of Michigan not in high enough COVID risk category for revised CDC mask guidelines (clickondetroit.com)

CDC issued revised mask guidelines

DETROIT – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reversed course Tuesday on some masking guidelines, recommending that even vaccinated people return to wearing masks indoors in parts of the U.S. where the coronavirus is surging.

The CDC is recommending people who live in areas experiencing “high” or “substantial” COVID-19 spread wear masks in indoor places, regardless of vaccination status...

In Michigan, only a handful of counties fall into the higher risk categories, but none of them are in Southeast Michigan. The counties in “moderate” include Cass, Van Buren, Hillsdale, Mason, Kalkaska, Alpena, Iron and Gogebic counties. Branch and Dickinson counties are in the “high” risk category...

Last edited:
Interesting to see what Whitmer does. I'm sure there are quite a few governors, paralyzed with fear, hoping someone goes first. Same as how they all need original CDC guidance before pulling the plug, a few months ago.

Interesting to see what Whitmer does. I'm sure there are quite a few governors, paralyzed with fear, hoping someone goes first. Same as how they all need original CDC guidance before pulling the plug, a few months ago.

Whitmer: No plans for another pandemic mask order, maybe ever (detroitnews.com)

Detroit — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said Tuesday she's following developments on new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance on mask wearing closely, but has no plans to bring back a requirement that people mask up indoors.

The Democratic governor's remarks came as the federal agency recommended increased mask wearing to prevent transmission of the highly contagious Delta variant of COVID-19, which has become the dominant strain of the virus in the United States...

"I do not anticipate another pandemic order, not in the near future and maybe not ever," Whitmer added. "The fact of the matter is we now know a lot more about this virus. We have vaccines."...

Whitmer: No plans for another pandemic mask order, maybe ever (detroitnews.com)

Detroit — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said Tuesday she's following developments on new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance on mask wearing closely, but has no plans to bring back a requirement that people mask up indoors.

The Democratic governor's remarks came as the federal agency recommended increased mask wearing to prevent transmission of the highly contagious Delta variant of COVID-19, which has become the dominant strain of the virus in the United States...

"I do not anticipate another pandemic order, not in the near future and maybe not ever," Whitmer added. "The fact of the matter is we now know a lot more about this virus. We have vaccines."...

Same thing here - Ducey has said nothing will change, and has made it illegal to mandate anything. I've been reading twitter feeds of places like CDC and New York Times. Sentiment is pretty consistent in that people said they got vaccinated in order to get back to normal and aren't going back to masks. It really was incredibly tone deaf, on the part of the CDC, to take away the carrot that was encouraging vaccinations.

Same thing here - Ducey has said nothing will change, and has made it illegal to mandate anything. I've been reading twitter feeds of places like CDC and New York Times. Sentiment is pretty consistent in that people said they got vaccinated in order to get back to normal and aren't going back to masks. It really was incredibly tone deaf, on the part of the CDC, to take away the carrot that was encouraging vaccinations.

Whitmer would not be able to impose new restrictions even if she wanted to.

After high court decision, Michigan AG will not enforce COVID orders (detroitnews.com)

The Supreme Court on Friday was unanimous in ruling Whitmer had no authority under a 1976 emergency law to extend the emergency past April 30 without approval from the Legislature.

But the court split 4-3 in ruling that a separate law Whitmer was using to issue executive orders — the 1945 Emergency Powers of the Governor Act — was unconstitutional because it was an unlawful delegation of legislative powers...

So if anything changes, it will be stores. There is a lady at our local Walmart that loved sitting out front, in a beach chair, yelling at people about masks. She's looked miserable back inside, doing her normal job, since they dropped mandate.

University of Michigan: All students, faculty, staff must be vaccinated by Aug. 30 (clickondetroit.com)

Mandate applies to all three U-M campuses, Michigan Medicine

ANN ARBOR – University of Michigan leadership announced on Friday that all students, faculty and staff on all three campuses and at Michigan Medicine are required to receive a COVID vaccination by Aug. 30, when the fall term begins.

The measure includes both those working in campus buildings and remotely.

“Widespread vaccination is the primary and most effective tool that will bring the COVID-19 pandemic under control and it is the key to a vibrant and engaging academic year for all of us in the University of Michigan community,” read a letter released by U-M officials. “We’re seeing the rate of COVID-19 going up around the country, particularly in states and sub-populations with lower vaccination rates.”...

Ann Arbor Public Schools: Masks required indoors for upcoming school year(clickondetroit.com)

Rule applies to all students, staff, visitors in school buildings

ANN ARBOR – Ann Arbor Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Jeanice Kerr Swift announced a districtwide mask mandate for the 2021-2022 school year in an update sent to the community on Friday.

Citing recent recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Swift said all students, staff and visitors inside AAPS school buildings will be required to wear masks.

“A simple step - wearing our masks while indoors - provides another layer of protection to improve overall health and safety and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in our schools and community this fall,” Swift wrote...

Central Michigan orders masks at least through September (detroitnews.com)

Mount Pleasant — Central Michigan University joined the ranks of schools to require people on campus to wear masks when students to return to campus this fall, the school's president announced Monday.

In a letter to students, President Bob Davies said students, faculty and staffers must wear masks in class at least through the end of September. The letter comes as the school said classrooms will return to full capacity and that the vast majority of classes will involve a “face-to-face component.”...

ETA: Just saw this.

Detroit’s Wayne State University to mandate COVID vaccines ahead of fall semester (clickondetroit.com)

All staff, students, faculty on campus required to be vaccinated for virus

DETROIT – Wayne State University (WSU) is requiring all staff, students and faculty to get vaccinated for COVID-19 if they plan to be on campus in the fall, officials announced Tuesday.

The university says that because of increased COVID spread, especially within their community, individuals who plan to be on campus for the fall 2021 semester must show proof of vaccination by Aug. 30 in order to be allowed on campus. The mandate is designed to help slow the spread of the virus, particularly the highly transmissible delta variant, and to create a “renewed sense of normalcy.”...

I have a feeling that school districts are going to have mask mandates for all school age children who are too young to be vaccinated. Some districts may even end up starting the school year with remote learning :(

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back